• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
wow I had cleared out my watched threads in error and completely forgot about this one..... :/

Jumping right to it..

Anyone who has both Cotton2 and Cotton Boomerang confirm this is from Boomerang? I've been told this is a game over screen for cotton2 but I've never seen this appear on there....

cottoncombos.png

Some of those combo movesI'm fairly certain are boomerang only but it's been driving me crazy even though I have both games Boomerang has been locked up in a suitcase for years and I just want to concentrate on Cotton2 for now and that's been killing my thumb..

Anyway I made a somewhat pointless game over vid and demo attract screen video to show the original poster but they haven't gotten back to me.

I've never seen that either but I only have Cotton 2.

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
I've bought every product that GDEMU offers. I also have a bot to monitor his order pages to keep track of them (see above).

At some point around 18:00 CET, he will modify the order page with a form. It will remain that way for a few minutes. Then once he's satisfied he will revert it back to a page that says orders are unavailable.

You don't pay immediately. He will email you within a week when he's ready with details.
Thank you for the heads up. I submitted the form after it went live so I thiiiink I got one in in time.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
My new acquisitions! I started a game of Albert Odyssey. Played it a really long time ago but never got to finish it. Now's my second chance. And right after that, I reeeeeeeally want to play Dark Savior due to the fantastic thread posted a month ago or so on Gaming...

da4PUlH.jpg

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
My new acquisitions! I started a game of Albert Odyssey. Played it a really long time ago but never got to finish it. Now's my second chance. And right after that, I reeeeeeeally want to play Dark Savior due to the fantastic thread posted a month ago or so on Gaming...

da4PUlH.jpg

Nice catch, both of these game are real hidden gem ! Albert Odyssey was nice until that last dungeon, seriously this feel like a random encounter endurance test of the JRPG... i was about to give up... until i decide to use a guide.... it was still stupid design. Dark savior don't forget to get all the path, some of them are really better then other !

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Nice catch, both of these game are real hidden gem ! Albert Odyssey was nice until that last dungeon, seriously this feel like a random encounter endurance test of the JRPG... i was about to give up... until i decide to use a guide.... it was still stupid design. Dark savior don't forget to get all the path, some of them are really better then other !

Oh my dude. You may not remember it "as is". I can assure you the random encounter rate is not a problem that is exclusive to the last dungeon lol. It all came back to me when I started my game. The first cave you must traverse is absolutely bonkers on random encounter rate. You can walk 10 steps, which takes 2 seconds or so then BAM! Random encounter. Ok, you finish the fight, proceeds to walk ag--BAM! Random encounter. Ok geez, talk about bad luck. Battle's done. You walk a singl-BAM! Random encounter.

*Proceeds like that for the next 30 minutes or so*

This makes it all the more frustrating for someone like me who feels the urge to visit every single corner of a dungeon to make sure he doesn't miss anything. Granted, there are moments where the RNG God is clement on your soul but usually he'd rather spit in your face.

Oh my dude. You may not remember it "as is". I can assure you the random encounter rate is not a problem that is exclusive to the last dungeon lol. It all came back to me when I started my game. The first cave you must traverse is absolutely bonkers on random encounter rate. You can walk 10 steps, which takes 2 seconds or so then BAM! Random encounter. Ok, you finish the fight, proceeds to walk ag--BAM! Random encounter. Ok geez, talk about bad luck. Battle's done. You walk a singl-BAM! Random encounter.

*Proceeds like that for the next 30 minutes or so*

This makes it all the more frustrating for someone like me who feels the urge to visit every single corner of a dungeon to make sure he doesn't miss anything. Granted, there are moments where the RNG God is clement on your soul but usually he'd rather spit in your face.

Was the random encounter rate a Working Designs "enhancement" or did the game have a high rate from its original development?
It sounds like a nightmarish grind.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i don't remember what bothered me about AO but i never finished it. i'd like to see a review from someone playing it today. already sold my copy years ago.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the final dungeon but the final boss just didn't want to go away... There are great looking spell effects but I found the game unremarkable. I do remember the game crashing on me during several playthroughs

edit
I too sold my copy years ago. I'm sure WD mentioned they reduced the encounter rate compared to the Japanese release.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Was the random encounter rate a Working Designs "enhancement" or did the game have a high rate from its original development?

I couldn't tell you unfortunately as I've never played the JPN version nor did I research anything related to any possible changes between them. It sounds nightmarish for sure. Certainly excessive, but not to the point I would abandon the game though. Once you're in the mood and allow yourself to progress while not being in a hurry, it's fine.

Working Designs is the worst

I disagree. They were fantastic. They sure did temper the american releases of many games but that's what made them so special to me. No translation company ever put as much effor as Working Designs did in their games. I truly miss them.

I disagree. They were fantastic. They sure did temper the american releases of many games but that's what made them so special to me. No translation company ever put as much effor as Working Designs did in their games. I truly miss them.

Well, at very least, their works are now considered a bit divisive. My feelings are mixed - WD brought over some excellent games that otherwise would've been left overseas. Also, a few games (Vay) were more entertaining because of them.

But, they also ruined games, quite literally with Exile 2, and made many of the excellent games arduous.

I'm much more familiar with their works on Sega CD than Saturn, though. It kinda seemed like they mellowed out with the changes a little during the Saturn era, but I could very well be wrong.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Working Designs were at their best when they focused on script localisation rather than messing with the game's design. The fart jokes and dated pop culture references you can kind of ignore but the ridiculous difficulty tweaks straight up ruined a lot of games.

If anyone wants to go down this rabbit hole:
https://tcrf.net/Lunar:_The_Silver_Star#Regional_Differences
https://tcrf.net/Magic_Knight_Rayearth_(Sega_Saturn)#Regional_Differences
https://tcrf.net/Popful_Mail_(Sega_CD)#Regional_Differences
https://tcrf.net/Silhouette_Mirage_(PlayStation)#Regional_Differences
https://tcrf.net/Lunar:_Eternal_Blue/Regional_Differences
https://tcrf.net/Alundra#Regional_Differences

Oct 25, 2017

If memory serves from the AO booklet (I sold the game 3 years ago) they had actually reduced the encounter rate, and increased the rewards for winning fights. I can't comment on specific enemy tweaks.

I do want to say that AO has a way underrated soundtrack. One of it's problems is that it released at around the same time as the superior Shining the Holy Ark.

Still, pretty sure every RPG fan who was actively buying games at that point likely picked up both games.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Working Designs were at their best when they focused on script localisation rather than messing with the game's design. The fart jokes and dated pop culture references you can kind of ignore but the ridiculous difficulty tweaks straight up ruined a lot of games.

If anyone wants to go down this rabbit hole:
https://tcrf.net/Lunar:_The_Silver_Star#Regional_Differences
https://tcrf.net/Magic_Knight_Rayearth_(Sega_Saturn)#Regional_Differences
https://tcrf.net/Popful_Mail_(Sega_CD)#Regional_Differences
https://tcrf.net/Silhouette_Mirage_(PlayStation)#Regional_Differences
https://tcrf.net/Lunar:_Eternal_Blue/Regional_Differences
https://tcrf.net/Alundra#Regional_Differences

I knew someone would post these. Out of all of those, the only title that actually suffered from WD regional changes was Silhouette Mirage.

As for the rest, their changes honestly did not break the WD versions in any way or shape. They frankly always are blown out of proportion. And many of the changes they made were arguably for the better.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Working Designs is notable for being one of the first companies set up to localize obscure titles which is laudable but they completely ruined them by filling them full of terrible attempts at humor. Disregarding balance changes which were usually unnecessary, only a company that deserves bankruptcy would insert a Bill Clinton joke into Lunar.

I am just going to attempt and steer this topic back into the realm of Saturn with this:
I noticed on the Cutting Room Floor website that Albert Odyssey, the original reason we mentioned Working Designs, hardly has any changes listed.

So, it seems that either Working Designs didn't change much, gameplay-wise, compared to previous WD games. Or that they did, and the changes are completely undocumented.

Regardless, here is the official manual with the documented changes by WD: Sega Retro - Albert Odyssey Translation Notes

Indeed, judging from the notes, they did actually seem to improve Albert Odyssey's gameplay, which might be the first game where they made it easier!
Which further supports my theory that the Sega Saturn might have the best Working Designs games.

Last edited:

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
G53yUAT.jpg

Picked up an assortment!
The new Sakura Wars announcement made me wanna get into the series, and I'm attempting to learn a bit of Japanese.
Far East of Eden IV is something I've wanted to try ever since I heard of it, but I doubt it'll be translated anytime soon, so it's my goal post for learning Japanese.
Not the biggest fan of KOF '96 from what I've played, having a loading screen for each character in a 3v3 is just awful. I also don't like how the game doesn't let you wait more than 15 seconds when picking characters, but I remember that being a thing with all the KOF games I've played.
X-Men Vs Street Fighter might be my favourite fighting game right now. I've played through the arcade mode nearly a dozen times since getting it.
Both KOF 96 and XvSF came with their required RAM carts, the 1MB works for sure, but I had trouble getting the port to work after removing it so once I got the 4M+ reading again I elected to leave both carts in the boxes.
Finally, a Retro-bit controller to even the odds a bit when playing with others. We found that usually whoever had the JPN controller won a lot more compared to the 3D controller/US Controller/Virtua Stick
bBsU3at.jpg
I was lured in by this and I've gotta admit I'm not into Code of Princess as much as I hoped I would be. I think it's the mission format as opposed to the level format, so maybe I'll let it marinate a bit

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I started playing Sakura Taisen by using the Google Translate app on my cell phone. It lets you take photos and it'll scan them for translateable text and translate it for you. It's a bit slow but it works.

...except for those quick time dialogue events. Best to look at an FAQ and be prepared for when one is coming up and which option you want to choose.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
G53yUAT.jpg

Picked up an assortment!
The new Sakura Wars announcement made me wanna get into the series, and I'm attempting to learn a bit of Japanese.
Far East of Eden IV is something I've wanted to try ever since I heard of it, but I doubt it'll be translated anytime soon, so it's my goal post for learning Japanese.
Not the biggest fan of KOF '96 from what I've played, having a loading screen for each character in a 3v3 is just awful. I also don't like how the game doesn't let you wait more than 15 seconds when picking characters, but I remember that being a thing with all the KOF games I've played.
X-Men Vs Street Fighter might be my favourite fighting game right now. I've played through the arcade mode nearly a dozen times since getting it.
Both KOF 96 and XvSF came with their required RAM carts, the 1MB works for sure, but I had trouble getting the port to work after removing it so once I got the 4M+ reading again I elected to leave both carts in the boxes.
Finally, a Retro-bit controller to even the odds a bit when playing with others. We found that usually whoever had the JPN controller won a lot more compared to the 3D controller/US Controller/Virtua Stick

You might as well add Hanagumi Taisen Columns to that collection. a columns game with the characters from Sakura Taisen. I absolutely love Tengai Makyou IV mostly because of the creativeness and the crazy cast of bosses you will encounter.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
You might as well add Hanagumi Taisen Columns to that collection. a columns game with the characters from Sakura Taisen. I absolutely love Tengai Makyou IV mostly because of the creativeness and the crazy cast of bosses you will encounter.
I really wish Tengai Makyou would get an english fan translation. I've tried using guides but it's so hard to play without knowing the language.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Well, my red Pseudo Saturn cartridge blew away all my saves stored on it again. Lost all my progress on the English translation of Linkle Liver Story.

I hate this.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Are those carts considered unreliable? I have the regular action replay, not the red cart.

I've never read about anyone having problems and when I contacted the seller on eBay six months ago after it happened the first time, he seemed surprised. So maybe I just got a bad one, I don't know.

I'm pretty sure he's harvesting old official Sega save carts to put into these things because all games recognize it and will save directly to it, and when I got mine it had save files already on it for Japanese games that I definitely didn't own yet.

I've never read about anyone having problems and when I contacted the seller on eBay six months ago after it happened the first time, he seemed surprised. So maybe I just got a bad one, I don't know.

I'm pretty sure he's harvesting old official Sega save carts to put into these things because all games recognize it and will save directly to it, and when I got mine it had save files already on it for Japanese games that I definitely didn't own yet.

Agh, sorry to hear about your saves. That sucks.

I'm not super happy to hear these things might be harvesting old carts - I never like to harvest original hardware for projects like this.

Hopefully, the Satiator will be out in the next year...? That should help out quite a bit.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Agh, sorry to hear about your saves. That sucks.

I'm not super happy to hear these things might be harvesting old carts - I never like to harvest original hardware for projects like this.

Hopefully, the Satiator will be out in the next year...? That should help out quite a bit.

I don't remember if the Satiator is supposed to allow saving games onto its SD card. Hopefully it will, or at least allow you to transfer save games to and from the internal Saturn RAM.

As for harvesting original parts, it's basically the only way to get the level of functionality that the all-in-one cartridge has without spending a ton of time, money and energy reverse engineering the official Saturn backup cartridges. I wouldn't be against it but I'm seeing the problem with it now — these parts are old and apparently prone to errors like losing all the data stored on them randomly.

I tried to reproduce the issue. Copied a save from internal storage to the red cartridge, then tried switching to 4MB mode, booting up Vampire Savior, switching back to backup save mode, then going into the memory manager. Save was still there. So switching modes isn't the problem, unless it's something that happens inconsistently.

I'm kinda wondering if it's some sort of problem with the English translations I've used recently for Linkle Liver Story and Ninpen Manmaru. I had saved both of them to the Pseudo Saturn cartridge.

I don't remember if the Satiator is supposed to allow saving games onto its SD card. Hopefully it will, or at least allow you to transfer save games to and from the internal Saturn RAM.

As for harvesting original parts, it's basically the only way to get the level of functionality that the all-in-one cartridge has without spending a ton of time, money and energy reverse engineering the official Saturn backup cartridges. I wouldn't be against it but I'm seeing the problem with it now — these parts are old and apparently prone to errors like losing all the data stored on them randomly.

I tried to reproduce the issue. Copied a save from internal storage to the red cartridge, then tried switching to 4MB mode, booting up Vampire Savior, switching back to backup save mode, then going into the memory manager. Save was still there. So switching modes isn't the problem, unless it's something that happens inconsistently.

I'm kinda wondering if it's some sort of problem with the English translations I've used recently for Linkle Liver Story and Ninpen Manmaru. I had saved both of them to the Pseudo Saturn cartridge.

I don't believe it changes the save situation, at least from what I know of it. But, it should free up the cart slot to use whatever save device works best for you.

I guess I'm unsure about the best memory carts for Saturn on the market - I should read up more on those. I just use the AR 4mb and internal memory - so far I haven't had an issue, but isn't the AR memory battery backed?

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
Phoebe arrived after nearly two months of nervous patience. I was briefly terrified when the housing for the power supply cabled appeared kind of bent, but I made it work.

SNODZiJ.jpg

u3AdbgF.jpg

4jLEWHO.jpg

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
Oh, only! That game goes for more than $100! Haha

Well now they can all stay safe in your storage trash can while you play their rips on your SD card. Have you tried it out yet? How are you liking it?
It actually didn't work! I ripped and loaded Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Last Bronx, and Burning Rangers then got a 'disc not suitable for this system' error. I have a GDEMU so I'm familiar with ODE quirks, so I must have missed some mundane initial setup thing. Won't really have time to pour through forums and figure it out for a few days, but I'm sure it won't be too difficult to figure out.

3rdman

May 25, 2018
I went a little nuts a couple of weeks ago...here are most of the games I picked up and had shipped together...

Here though is the thing that I am most happy about...I've wanted this console for almost twenty years...She was a little scuffed up and she came without a box but after a little cleaning, she came out great. Everything works too! VCD, 4MB expansion ram, AR, onboard memory, etc and she arrived with two skeleton controllers.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I wished I bought one of those smokey transparent Saturns when they were somewhat affordable..

A little Burning Rangers up close

jYkYElW.mp4

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just played Saturn exclusively for one month straight. I broke the spell on Friday, when I played dreams that evening, but until then... 4 weeks of nothing but Saturn.

I've always had a lot of hardware, but was thin on software. So I got on eBay and just about doubled my collection. it's still hooked up, and I want more, but my wrist can't take any more fighting and action games right now.

I wished I bought one of those smokey transparent Saturns when they were somewhat affordable..

A little Burning Rangers up close

jYkYElW.mp4

Good timing!
Sega Lord X just posted a list of the best graphics on the Saturn, and, indeed, Burning Rangers won its respective category.

I can't help but wonder if Saturn owners at the time of this release felt a bit of vindication against the PS1 for showing how capable the Saturn was with 3D graphics.

I disagreed a bit with Cotton Boomerang being the 2d Shmup with the best graphics - for me, that goes to Layer Section in TATE mode.

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
I went a little nuts a couple of weeks ago...here are most of the games I picked up and had shipped together...

Here though is the thing that I am most happy about...I've wanted this console for almost twenty years...She was a little scuffed up and she came without a box but after a little cleaning, she came out great. Everything works too! VCD, 4MB expansion ram, AR, onboard memory, etc and she arrived with two skeleton controllers.
I see you are a man of impeccable taste. Though mine is now a display piece.
s8a7jvMMRkXx0ADvN1QwOYHSELaIbBOqn-jsc1IbC14pX92IB
DSC_0110_zpsyei5yyjh.jpg

Last edited:

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
I just played Saturn exclusively for one month straight. I broke the spell on Friday, when I played dreams that evening, but until then... 4 weeks of nothing but Saturn.

I've always had a lot of hardware, but was thin on software. So I got on eBay and just about doubled my collection. it's still hooked up, and I want more, but my wrist can't take any more fighting and action games right now.
that's cool. never had the idea to play one retro sys for a whole month. Saturn has quite a few RPG/SRPG that i like so it wouldn't be that hard for me.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Love the Saturn and over the past few years I've been collecting it again before prices go way out of control.

Currently own a model 1 & model 2, 2 US controllers, 2 Jap controllers, arcade stick and an action replay cart. (also an RGB Scart cable is a must for European owners.)

Games list so far :

PAL:
Sega Rally
Sega Touring Car Championship
Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition
Manx TT Superbike
Sega Ages Vol 1 - Afterburner II, Space Harrier, Outrun
Virtua Fighter 2
Nights
WipEout
Sega Worldwide Soccer 97
Sonic Jam

Jap Imports:
Darkstalkers 2 - Vampire Hunter
The King Of Fighters '97
Fighters Megamix

So many great games still to pick up for it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Love the Saturn and over the past few years I've been collecting it again before prices go way out of control.

Currently own a model 1 & model 2, 2 US controllers, 2 Jap controllers, arcade stick and an action replay cart. (also an RGB Scart cable is a must for European owners.)

Games list so far :

PAL:
Sega Rally
Sega Touring Car Championship
Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition
Manx TT Superbike
Sega Ages Vol 1 - Afterburner II, Space Harrier, Outrun
Virtua Fighter 2
Nights
WipEout
Sega Worldwide Soccer 97
Sonic Jam

Jap Imports:
Darkstalkers 2 - Vampire Hunter
The King Of Fighters '97
Fighters Megamix

So many great games still to pick up for it.

That is very very similar to my small saturn collection that i haventbadded to in years. I have been shopping recently...

I picked several very saturny imports that are available for reasonable prices: Decathelete, Necronomicon(pinball!), Assault Suit Leynos 2, Dead or Alive, and Panzer Dragoon 2. These are all around 20 bucks give ore take and i feel ive improved my library greatly.

that's cool. never had the idea to play one retro sys for a whole month. Saturn has quite a few RPG/SRPG that i like so it wouldn't be that hard for me.

I didn't quite have the idea till two weeks went by and i realized i hadn't touched anything else. So i was rolling with it aware of that and it ened up being a month! It was very refreshing actually. And as i said above, i was working on building up my collection as i went so i was having a ton of fun playing+shopping.