• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tyrael

Oct 26, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
It's been a while since I last visited here.

I have been getting some games for my collection in the last month in Ebay and Yahoo Auctions. Here are some that have already arrived:

RTedCe1.jpg

9p7Avz5.jpg

REIdyot.jpg

33WLvwy.jpg

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
That is very very similar to my small saturn collection that i haventbadded to in years. I have been shopping recently...

I picked several very saturny imports that are available for reasonable prices: Decathelete, Necronomicon(pinball!), Assault Suit Leynos 2, Dead or Alive, and Panzer Dragoon 2. These are all around 20 bucks give ore take and i feel ive improved my library greatly.

Nice pickups. Necronomicon is on my list along with a load of Capcom 2D fighters.
Also want to get hold of a few decent shoot 'em ups before they all go the way of the wallet breaking Radiant Silvergun.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Nice pickups. Necronomicon is on my list along with a load of Capcom 2D fighters.
Also want to get hold of a few decent shoot 'em ups before they all go the way of the wallet breaking Radiant Silvergun.

Actually... That's something I need. I only have the US version of layer section. I would like to have maybe two more but not breaking the bank. Some things $50 or under. That might be too low, idk.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I just played Saturn exclusively for one month straight. I broke the spell on Friday, when I played dreams that evening, but until then... 4 weeks of nothing but Saturn.

I've always had a lot of hardware, but was thin on software. So I got on eBay and just about doubled my collection. it's still hooked up, and I want more, but my wrist can't take any more fighting and action games right now.

That's pretty cool. So what did you play? Which games did you like the most?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty cool. So what did you play? Which games did you like the most?

Okay so I haven't gone this long without hooking up a Saturn since it came out. It's been at least eight years. I haven't added anything to my collection in a long long time. I'm always had plenty of hardware including to Saturn's, stunners, etc. But I've always had a fairly pitiful selection of games. I have panzer dragoon saga tho! Got to brag.

So I don't even know why I hooked it up this time. I'm sure there was some specific courage, but I can't actually remember what spurred it. Either way the things are easily at hand so I had all the stuff pulled out and hooked up in like 30 minutes.

So I just started flipping through my games and playing stuff one after another. Like a half hour at a time because I'm sort of showing them for the first time to the so. despite not having many games here, I've got some that I put a good amount of time into. So I played some Sega rally and some nights. Some panzer dragoon. I think that night, I started a game of dark savior, which I've never played much of. I think I've started this game two or three times over the years and never got far because I would get frustrated and not really get the game. Same thing this time, I got to the first platforming area And threw the controller down. It was kind of hilarious. I don't beat my head against games like this, but I do a lot of swearing and laughing while I fall over edges over and over again.

So that was Friday night when I hooked it up and I couldn't find a game that was really sticky. When I woke up Saturday morning, I put in Virtua fighter 2. I kind of got obsessed with it and played it all day Saturday and Sunday. Stayed obsessed with it. Made an appreciation thread about it that you might like if you didn't see it:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...hter-2-is-gone-from-this-wicked-world.116763/ wait. All week. Enjoyed it very much.

The next weekend, I go back to dark savior because someone made an appreciation thread about that during that time, and I forced myself to play. Sure enough, it started clicking and I really enjoyed it all the way to the end of the 1st parallel. I immediately went to start the second by finishing the intro sequence a little faster. That's how you enter the second story line. But it turns out that it doesn't want a little faster, but a whole lot faster. It felt like trying to do a speed run. So I gave up on that.

While I was playing that, I was mixing in some fighters megamix and a few of the racing games. Megamix is really cool, but no Virtua fighter 2. Try some last Bronx and I really didn't like it very much. I've played it before, but I guess I hardly remembered it.

Found a real gem among the racing games. I had F1 challenge, but for some reason I kept flipping by it thinking it was as crappy game that I remember called andretti racing. Well I noticed it wasn't, and I put it in. I remember this game now! this game is fantastic and a good change of pace from Sega rally which I had played the shit out of. I'm still enjoying F1 challenge, I think it's great.

Goof around with a few more my collection but no more than half an hour apiece

When I quit dark savior, I put quake in and set to mastering the funky controls all over again. I'm absolutely delighted whenever I see quake running on Saturn, so I'm more than happy to put up with the shortcomings.

Messed with some games I used to be able to play a lot. Panzer dragoon, nights, etc. Played a chunk of shining the holy ark. But I wanted new stuff. I had some zero calorie cocktails and went on eBay. Fixed that right up. Stuff's been coming in the mail for weeks. I got to retro bit reproduction controllers, some extension cords, a pseudo Saturn cart, and a bunch of games. I think I got necronomicon, decathlete, leynos 2, panzer dragoon 2, alpha 2, dead or alive, kof 97, darkstalkers 2 and 3, and real bout. everything's been amazing. I barely cracked into the new games, but I'm satisfied that I'm bolstered the collection a lot.

And finally, last Friday, I played dreams and broke my 5 week run of Saturn only. It was excellent! I think that was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a minute.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Recent pickups:

A personal holy grail, Battle Garegga (2 weeks before the Limited Run Games PS4 release was announced, lol), and a HSS 0136:
dzlIb2q.jpg

A copy of Darius II (which I'm actually enjoying way more than I thought I would)
Pfnvw2j.jpg

A Phoebe (finally!)
nQqta4o.jpg

Last edited:
Recent pickups:

A personal holy grail, Battle Garegga (2 weeks before the Limited Run Games PS4 release was announced, lol), and a HSS 0136:
6OENZdLRgLIoMMq1HOX_aFS79NtXwHg5fgU0UD87z9lJXJiCd3qBjdH-cdAth7UbD0UM77k31SEvDf307W57ktmNkTH0TggNLgr9bv4H1WT2yCreL4pru8t_jIkhlFi8vAKc2Mgi1soCpbS0toJaGesTu9xgk0gjJ7_fU8HYS8ovLgh12p3eah0D3b62iSk88kjyMQZ511WxERzUCsvKcNmzKMi4Tm12UTBYHPIvPE-Vco9mF3R4Y5NWVOdd68NzXwo8nnwzGFrxn4gBzI9vB5WsAdRBD2XrBhwhFFVr-2ZfNS_5LB9oOgd2ya-j5_xCS9L6Ng5WX-kC0xZCfhbjfh_hmI8CoRon_28i5snavpuwB4z-ZUXymmGTsNOu8WGg4AHbjBeeCOaMT_oineb5dGTcn3KXZ_zBP9yw7EnI2sL9jJgStMNYexKfgJBJFaPMEVDl84x-l7pro36Ob7iaUOEYT1GO2afXIvx4v3xjCmcmwYwfGhbpGdSKXzfwAI-zplf32O7p_W34RidYTZMJCgBx9MI9_4imQOmUkcjACMZ57zHflQwcp5UdjtLMa3zvVv1iyUh4tIMFwQqn4t-F93RIWWFyygpxqLmUoTHIqPd_metDbPbU6mFFwxbbNye8Px73yPV6QqEPXAQoDz-qO0otRen1mIqJ=w1311-h983-no

A copy of Darius II (which I'm actually enjoying way more than I thought I would)
qNoe2BX0jnCnwJajCWwZL9kribNIoEXGXo3Pd7lLp9lfYlLf_ivuDWPkC7hmpPLSy-hXw2hFIs0czum5z1afYWCn7fo_KbTOQN0jjgy4PrBdCWGwdkxtzzzCCjaebmo_aaxO7dpB0ayDbQA63klpbISfT7zC8BaY185fxP_sGhjq8AY9uYML0nT6fOtMp8VErBoqYlVrE4U3_AQfBHUGQQEBi2_QLW6E0GXcu3YyJ4SjD9D1d4QKcKQMPyeq28qnZ43u8DM4ltCJNOo0fk6dCauT0gkubx8z_GSlhHouw4eziW7eVpp_DpGeDzqziA9d-tGjTsyw-Ps9ppJgDj_ea8pjoM-nM6Gne1_kALi0uw-yGzWtxecQHNoCX98Vm6u4kk-62iacQF4GvR-GVp1cPROdURwCZiAzpUtGZTwMMxq27amV20Lawyx2Lc00Bzeo9ZZWD0G5OK25L1lGhccNpVTCdfEr1dw-wnKe_Q90p-wCJukJq8TkX2HmTGLMgcdhoF7jXuVscY_zbXRo4y7K2RVAEahsXMh_36evLIVRKfovTduny2qq5dwQl8vhozzru-VRch4RnUxQR9fuO0EwHyI3JLFqA3H9Jl4JfciFXk_UKgjTMCTN93cci9DucwgSGRooRn-PB8GuGvpVmkafaN87ho34GCgc=w1311-h983-no

A Phoebe (finally!)
lwzoqeTOzDY7JwPnAvhJENVoPG4eljYbomqxBjmC5Wdxg_nGGivufjvaoOpLw_rnWXJhKQJph9GPpwXmqmmqdSXFS1p07w4DT99Jre-R57bVtXyV5EP7HubpTo9F0Uc6J_OtJAlSEKZquZdrGgV03pPdyGiMAGROlB8uxVs3P5tNsXiGEeqmx5wwYqx-KSEBS0_SklnbjlVE3ylxYCDCpt78rUwo41zXBgEEd_abKVg50dbJx8MfuNEp0WovQHftbNl-9Yj1mTapJF9oese1avaUoIfWqHiE6tY8eL4cIA8HMPqAQ6gy-nVQWMpROhD1Lx-yTYOokYVkQRSK_DnGkZgy6rlvQzxp42hn0uadzjDhKrrJ75hlTHEbLibdg_TGRGfoSl1ElEzS56qgEdRBooVKMSPQxAsWU915H-S-9whHCS6KiVqdPQqX9FgVP3LF17C1xX7PsKMS5OcgN-74DAsrRuNsk-ZadHLZToRTSw1J_l9uIYajsuekXvy31e2O4aOG3eE4CDmK_FDb4V5hUaDgrR648eTgxJNAr9IQ_FwCQggj5zOgxwpbZGBwuiUHSKpwFicd1_iyn989PDjscDrsrXBRaTVP729tUMj8G_GSar4vgI8oIeb7vj_BbB9Avg_rxw_Unts79zTkzxHq6NSALc8kgG2Z=w1311-h983-no

Unfortunately, the pics aren't working for me, but all those are awesome gets, for sure!

How is the condition of the panel art corners? Both of mine are peeling, but I'd really like to keep the artwork as OEM as possible, so I'm using glue to keep them down.

That said, that's a rather hypocritical statement,as I've already modded the stick on both, and buttons on one - one day, both.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Okay so I haven't gone this long without hooking up a Saturn since it came out. It's been at least eight years. I haven't added anything to my collection in a long long time. I'm always had plenty of hardware including to Saturn's, stunners, etc. But I've always had a fairly pitiful selection of games. I have panzer dragoon saga tho! Got to brag.

So I don't even know why I hooked it up this time. I'm sure there was some specific courage, but I can't actually remember what spurred it. Either way the things are easily at hand so I had all the stuff pulled out and hooked up in like 30 minutes.

So I just started flipping through my games and playing stuff one after another. Like a half hour at a time because I'm sort of showing them for the first time to the so. despite not having many games here, I've got some that I put a good amount of time into. So I played some Sega rally and some nights. Some panzer dragoon. I think that night, I started a game of dark savior, which I've never played much of. I think I've started this game two or three times over the years and never got far because I would get frustrated and not really get the game. Same thing this time, I got to the first platforming area And threw the controller down. It was kind of hilarious. I don't beat my head against games like this, but I do a lot of swearing and laughing while I fall over edges over and over again.

So that was Friday night when I hooked it up and I couldn't find a game that was really sticky. When I woke up Saturday morning, I put in Virtua fighter 2. I kind of got obsessed with it and played it all day Saturday and Sunday. Stayed obsessed with it. Made an appreciation thread about it that you might like if you didn't see it:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...hter-2-is-gone-from-this-wicked-world.116763/ wait. All week. Enjoyed it very much.

The next weekend, I go back to dark savior because someone made an appreciation thread about that during that time, and I forced myself to play. Sure enough, it started clicking and I really enjoyed it all the way to the end of the 1st parallel. I immediately went to start the second by finishing the intro sequence a little faster. That's how you enter the second story line. But it turns out that it doesn't want a little faster, but a whole lot faster. It felt like trying to do a speed run. So I gave up on that.

While I was playing that, I was mixing in some fighters megamix and a few of the racing games. Megamix is really cool, but no Virtua fighter 2. Try some last Bronx and I really didn't like it very much. I've played it before, but I guess I hardly remembered it.

Found a real gem among the racing games. I had F1 challenge, but for some reason I kept flipping by it thinking it was as crappy game that I remember called andretti racing. Well I noticed it wasn't, and I put it in. I remember this game now! this game is fantastic and a good change of pace from Sega rally which I had played the shit out of. I'm still enjoying F1 challenge, I think it's great.

Goof around with a few more my collection but no more than half an hour apiece

When I quit dark savior, I put quake in and set to mastering the funky controls all over again. I'm absolutely delighted whenever I see quake running on Saturn, so I'm more than happy to put up with the shortcomings.

Messed with some games I used to be able to play a lot. Panzer dragoon, nights, etc. Played a chunk of shining the holy ark. But I wanted new stuff. I had some zero calorie cocktails and went on eBay. Fixed that right up. Stuff's been coming in the mail for weeks. I got to retro bit reproduction controllers, some extension cords, a pseudo Saturn cart, and a bunch of games. I think I got necronomicon, decathlete, leynos 2, panzer dragoon 2, alpha 2, dead or alive, kof 97, darkstalkers 2 and 3, and real bout. everything's been amazing. I barely cracked into the new games, but I'm satisfied that I'm bolstered the collection a lot.

And finally, last Friday, I played dreams and broke my 5 week run of Saturn only. It was excellent! I think that was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a minute.

You've got me wanting to check out F1 Challenge now, haha. It looks pretty good in YouTube footage.

Looks like you picked up tons of good stuff. Your poor wallet, though. I'd like to get the limited edition of Dead or Alive with the art book, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I bought Grandia for like $6 when eBay had that $3 coupon about a week ago in anticipation of the English patch that's apparently coming along nicely: https://segaxtreme.net/threads/translating-grandia.24330/page-10

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You've got me wanting to check out F1 Challenge now, haha. It looks pretty good in YouTube footage.

Looks like you picked up tons of good stuff. Your poor wallet, though. I'd like to get the limited edition of Dead or Alive with the art book, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I bought Grandia for like $6 when eBay had that $3 coupon about a week ago in anticipation of the English patch that's apparently coming along nicely: https://segaxtreme.net/threads/translating-grandia.24330/page-10

Re: wallet: it really did. this started because I randomly pulled that Saturn out and then i saw the new 'recommend me a game' thread. tongue in cheek, I went into that thread and I said recommend me a Saturn import that's cheap. then instead of waiting for an answer, I went straight to eBay and I found decathlete for ten bucks. And then a few more cheap ones. But when I got obsessed with vf2 like I said, the flood gates were open and I did the rest of that damage almost all in one night. I think it was sort of anxiety spending. I did this a few months ago with my Tamiya models. I just got on ebay every night for a week and spent probably three hundred bucks. I don't usually do that.

On the other hand, these are my main hobbies and I'm satisfied with my purchases despite the questionable judgment. My Saturn collection is so much better now. Of all the systems that I actually hook up to play, my Saturn selection was easily the weakest. Now I think it's up to my GameCube collection level. I got enough games that you could plug in the thing and play it for a month. Which I did. Satisfactory.

And I've got enough Tamiya kits to make a few of my shelves look like a hobbyshop in Akihabara. Perhaps somewhat more than satisfactory. 🤔

Last edited:

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, the pics aren't working for me, but all those are awesome gets, for sure!

How is the condition of the panel art corners? Both of mine are peeling, but I'd really like to keep the artwork as OEM as possible, so I'm using glue to keep them down.

That said, that's a rather hypocritical statement,as I've already modded the stick on both, and buttons on one - one day, both.

Derp, think I fixed that.

My panel art has a bad spot or two, but I'm OK with that, I wanna use it.

Thankfully since the stick is a garden-variety Seimitsu LS-56, parts and replacements are still easy to get, I added a short throw mod and an octogate, and it's quite nice.

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
Recent pickups:

A Phoebe (finally!)

Pics don't show up for me, but how's the condition of your Phoebe? On his most recent blog the creator mentioned the most recent shipment getting pulverized. The plastic power supply housing on mine was no good and one capacitor is a little squished, but it works and I'm hesitant to send it back (he is offering free repairs). Curious if yours is in good shape.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up a Japanese Model 1 Saturn with a Rhea board pre-installed, and got the Action Replay cart. Just waiting on my SCART cable and then I'll finally be able to experience one of the last consoles to have eluded me all these years. I made a tough decision between getting this or a Neo Geo AES w/ NeoSD.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Pics don't show up for me, but how's the condition of your Phoebe? On his most recent blog the creator mentioned the most recent shipment getting pulverized. The plastic power supply housing on mine was no good and one capacitor is a little squished, but it works and I'm hesitant to send it back (he is offering free repairs). Curious if yours is in good shape.

Yeah I saw that, mine was perfectly fine.

Derp, think I fixed that.

My panel art has a bad spot or two, but I'm OK with that, I wanna use it.

Thankfully since the stick is a garden-variety Seimitsu LS-56, parts and replacements are still easy to get, I added a short throw mod and an octogate, and it's quite nice.

For me, a few of the corners are coming off, but I've mostly fixed it with some special glue. Looks pretty good now, but mot perfect.

It looks like one of the spots is in the mid-panel, so, yeah, I'd probably leave it as is.

That's amazing to have gotten the Seimitsu built in! Both of mine were the ASCII sticks, so i unfortunately had to damage the art to get them out. The stock ASCII is pretty poor, and they were pretty worn by the time I got them.

I will ask this though - the LS56 is a bit high on mine - is it the same when it comes stock or did they have a custom shaft on that?

Changing out the buttons is fantastic, too, if you ever get the chance.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
For me, a few of the corners are coming off, but I've mostly fixed it with some special glue. Looks pretty good now, but mot perfect.

It looks like one of the spots is in the mid-panel, so, yeah, I'd probably leave it as is.

That's amazing to have gotten the Seimitsu built in! Both of mine were the ASCII sticks, so i unfortunately had to damage the art to get them out. The stock ASCII is pretty poor, and they were pretty worn by the time I got them.

I will ask this though - the LS56 is a bit high on mine - is it the same when it comes stock or did they have a custom shaft on that?

Changing out the buttons is fantastic, too, if you ever get the chance.

AFAICT my stick was pure stock when I got it, and the short throw mod doesn't actually change the physical height of the stick, so I think that's how it looks.

I thought about changing the buttons but since they're oddly-sized you can't just drop in standard replacements, you have to drill out the holes a bit, and that's a more destructive mod than I wanna do.

Now that I know what kind of stick I like I might just build a custom one for PC/PS4.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just picked up a Japanese Model 1 Saturn with a Rhea board pre-installed, and got the Action Replay cart. Just waiting on my SCART cable and then I'll finally be able to experience one of the last consoles to have eluded me all these years. I made a tough decision between getting this or a Neo Geo AES w/ NeoSD.

God damn that is a tough choice. I'm fascinated by both pieces of hardware for many reasons. I'm surprised I don't have a neo geo yet.

I already had Saturns from a long time ago, but if I had to pick I think I would have gone Saturn. Lot more variety in there. Plus you get a handful of really great ports from the neo.

In a bittersweet re-peat, the neo will be left out again because I'll choose a turbo duo first. Then in Amiga cd32. You know, maybe I didn't like the neo eo as much as I thought lol.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
God damn that is a tough choice. I'm fascinated by both pieces of hardware for many reasons. I'm surprised I don't have a neo geo yet.

I already had Saturns from a long time ago, but if I had to pick I think I would have gone Saturn. Lot more variety in there. Plus you get a handful of really great ports from the neo.

In a bittersweet re-peat, the neo will be left out again because I'll choose a turbo duo first. Then in Amiga cd32. You know, maybe I didn't like the neo eo as much as I thought lol.

The Neo is a great console with a deep but not wide library, and most of the stuff people care about has been pretty heavily ported to other platforms, I feel like that's part of it.

The JP Saturn had all this crazy stuff I'd never seen anywhere else that never really got ported elsewhere.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

gah, Amiga CD32 over the Neo Geo? I watched a Game Sack video on it and the games looked abysmal.

As for crazy stuff on the Saturn, I tried out the Gradius collection and holy shit, the version of Gradius 2 on there SMOKES the PCE CD one I'm used to.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
This started out as me wanting to import Pocket Fighter and Strikers 1945 and ended with me going "well, I guess with shipping and all it's cheaper if I knock several off my wantlist at once, also that's not a bad deal for Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius"

Got Astal for $26 USD, which ain't bad.

kum8KGD.jpg

Last edited:
This started out as me wanting to import Pocket Fighter and Strikers 1945 and ended with me going "well, I guess with shipping and all it's cheaper if I knock several off my wantlist at once, also that's not a bad deal for Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius"

Got Astal for $26 USD, which ain't bad.

kum8KGD.jpg

Ooo! That's a nice bunch of games for a single order!
It's been a while since I've purchased any Saturn games...I'm mostly on the lookout for obscure games these days.

Also, a great price for Astal, if my memory serves correctly on current asking prices.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I asked in the Pi thread but didn't really find out.

How is the newest Pi 4 with Saturn emulation these days?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
finally playing burning rangers. It's really amazing, got hooked from the opening song instantly

I really wish there was a way to turn off the environment explosions that force you to to keep going forward when you just want to wander around and admire the scenery for a moment or even try and take a screen photo.

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
Got one of the Retro-bit wireless Saturn controller. Great build quality and easy to set up. Played some Sega Rally and seemed as responsive as a wired controller. Very impressed for a $35 pad.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Mitsuyoshi/Jacques crossover album. I never needed anything more in my life.

But we know Jacques doesn't like sharing the limelight, lol

www.resetera.com

Sonic composer Richard Jacques (Sonic R, Racing Transformed) has a history of bullying other Sonic composers

The other day, the Sonic Twitter account released a remix of the Sonic R classic "Can You Feel the Sunshine" composed by Jun Senoue and Tee Lopes with vocals by Tee's sister Mariana Lopes, which received a positive response from most people... except the original composer of the tune, Richard...

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Better than SSF? It's been a while since I emulated Saturn...but I was just given an old laptop which I want to tinker with...it's from 2011 but at least it's an Intel i7.

If I it's better and on top of that I don't have to download/install a DVD drive emulator, that would be neat.
The Mednafen/Beetle/whatever it's called in retroarch core is v legit, speaking as a saturn owner.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest consulting the wiki and trying again, because when it clicks for you you'll love it.
Well your post actually got me installing it again and tinker with it for like an hour and a half...

After putting my BIOS files at the right place and scanning my whole 'VG Dumps' directory it fails to detect/boot a big part of all my game libraries, the ones I try to force in don't work with a nice ''Failed to load content'' message, even if they do work outside of Retroarch with external emulators. After some research it seems like they have a database for this and some of my games don't fit. Strangely enough they do work on Retroarch on my Raspberry Pi 3 though...

It detects all the Saturn games but misses like 30 of my 80 PS1 dumps, 8 of my 72 SNES dumps, 12 of my 57 N64 dumps...

N64...some of the detected ROMs work, others just straight out close the application without any kind of warning whatsoever.

So yeah, Retroarch still seems to be as exhaustive as it was to work with. If only it could at the very least work with the entirety of my libraries I'd give it a solid run, but now it still seems as complicated and frustrating as back then as for little intricacies that tickle my OCD in all sorts of bad ways. It would be awesome to have a nice, user friendly application on which EVERYTHING would run and be detected nicely and Retroarch is so FUCKING close to that, SO CLOSE! Though if it can't run something as basic as my dump of Crash Bandicoot 2 which will run on basically anything that ain't called Retroarch, I don't know man, it's not really for me at this point in time again.

Clicking on an emulator of my choice on my desktop sure feels less console-like than Retroarch, but at least my entire dump collection will be detected and will run without unexplainable inconsistencies.

So external emulator it is I guess, anything better than SSF to recommend? :P

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
So I just wanted to play some Hyper Duel, when my (JP) Saturn just goes up in smoke! I must've confused the power cables I guess (though I think I used the one I always use). Anyway, I open up the Saturn and it smells pretty bad and there's some kind of brown liquid in there. When it blew up, it was pretty hot in the top left. But looking at it from inside, I think it might be a few things, but I have zero knowledge about these things so I'm hoping someone here might have a clue what went wrong and what I need to do to get it working again.

This thing, seems to be the culprit just from looking at it, but again, I have no idea what this thing even is.
WFcrG2Y.jpg

Z3Zro3y.jpg

IXcHVrQ.jpg

The fuse seems fine to me.
KLh1vUa.jpg

This capacitor seems to be bulging a bit, not sure if that's normal, but I don't see any leakage.
CR3uHbI.jpg

So if anyone has any clue, I'd be much obliged.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see much wrong on this board but that capacitor is definitely on the verge of death. It may not be the culprit now but will be eventually.

The top is supposed to be flat.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see much wrong on this board but that capacitor is definitely on the verge of death. It may not be the culprit now but will be eventually.

The top is supposed to be flat.
So that K521 is supposed to look all brown? Any idea where that brown oil came from? I cleaned most of it so it's not really in the pic, but it looked like the color that K521 is.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno what kind of black magic is at work here, but I tried my Saturn (correct cable this time) and it fucking works like nothing's wrong! I'm still keeping an eye on it of course, that thing was smoking like crazy last night after having 240v pumped through it for a solid minute.

I already ordered a new one off eBay so I guess I have 4 Saturns now: already owned my original PAL Saturn, a backup one that I got for free from my old job (overstock), a white Japanese Saturn and soon a grey one. Ah, you can never have too many Saturns I say.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno what kind of black magic is at work here, but I tried my Saturn (correct cable this time) and it fucking works like nothing's wrong! I'm still keeping an eye on it of course, that thing was smoking like crazy last night after having 240v pumped through it for a solid minute.

I already ordered a new one off eBay so I guess I have 4 Saturns now: already owned my original PAL Saturn, a backup one that I got for free from my old job (overstock), a white Japanese Saturn and soon a grey one. Ah, you can never have too many Saturns I say.

Probably a part overheated but survived anyway, it probably reduced its lifespan though, so good thing you got a replacement. :)

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Well your post actually got me installing it again and tinker with it for like an hour and a half...

After putting my BIOS files at the right place and scanning my whole 'VG Dumps' directory it fails to detect/boot a big part of all my game libraries, the ones I try to force in don't work with a nice ''Failed to load content'' message, even if they do work outside of Retroarch with external emulators. After some research it seems like they have a database for this and some of my games don't fit. Strangely enough they do work on Retroarch on my Raspberry Pi 3 though...

It detects all the Saturn games but misses like 30 of my 80 PS1 dumps, 8 of my 72 SNES dumps, 12 of my 57 N64 dumps...

N64...some of the detected ROMs work, others just straight out close the application without any kind of warning whatsoever.

So yeah, Retroarch still seems to be as exhaustive as it was to work with. If only it could at the very least work with the entirety of my libraries I'd give it a solid run, but now it still seems as complicated and frustrating as back then as for little intricacies that tickle my OCD in all sorts of bad ways. It would be awesome to have a nice, user friendly application on which EVERYTHING would run and be detected nicely and Retroarch is so FUCKING close to that, SO CLOSE! Though if it can't run something as basic as my dump of Crash Bandicoot 2 which will run on basically anything that ain't called Retroarch, I don't know man, it's not really for me at this point in time again.

Clicking on an emulator of my choice on my desktop sure feels less console-like than Retroarch, but at least my entire dump collection will be detected and will run without unexplainable inconsistencies.

So external emulator it is I guess, anything better than SSF to recommend? :P
The database match scanning matches No-Intro for cart based stuff and Redump for optical discs. Those are generally considered the most complete and clean dumps out there. If your own dumps don't match those databases, there is a new manual scanning option available in the latest versions of RetroArch. This article talks about it and how to use it.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, I'm trying to get Shinning Force 3 to run, (using Yabause) but I'm having some issues:

• 1)
    So...I'm playing this on an HD 1920×1080 pc monitor. I know it's never gonna look 100% authentic, but is there anything (settings or otherwise) that can help smoothen the jaggies/make it look better? (Especially in full-screen mode). It looks kinda ok in default yabause size, but that's like a quarter of the monitor. It's practically a thumbnail.
  • 2)
    How do you bind a Dualshock 4 to yabause? I got a keyboard and mouse working but that was it. Also having issues with scenarios 2 and 3. For some reason, controls and inputs only worked with scenario 1. Do I have to bind controls for each title separately?
  • 3)
    I keep getting buzzing sounds (like "wrong answer sound effect" on a gameshow) as I play. I'm also getting a banner across the top of the screen, in-game, saying "peripheral is incompatible ". This banner matches the UI and text box of the game. I'm not sure how to even narrow down what "peripheral" it's referring to, and if the buzz sounds ans peripheral message are related.

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, I'm trying to get Shinning Force 3 to run, (using Yabause) but I'm having some issues:

• 1)
    So...I'm playing this on an HD 1920×1080 pc monitor. I know it's never gonna look 100% authentic, but is there anything (settings or otherwise) that can help smoothen the jaggies/make it look better? (Especially in full-screen mode). It looks kinda ok in default yabause size, but that's like a quarter of the monitor. It's practically a thumbnail.
  • 2)
    How do you bind a Dualshock 4 to yabause? I got a keyboard and mouse working but that was it. Also having issues with scenarios 2 and 3. For some reason, controls and inputs only worked with scenario 1. Do I have to bind controls for each title separately?
  • 3)
    I keep getting buzzing sounds (like "wrong answer sound effect" on a gameshow) as I play. I'm also getting a banner across the top of the screen, in-game, saying "peripheral is incompatible ". This banner matches the UI and text box of the game. I'm not sure how to even narrow down what "peripheral" it's referring to, and if the buzz sounds ans peripheral message are related.

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks in advance.
My first reflex would be to use something else than Yabause, because while Yabause can up the internal resolution for better looking 3D games, it's not the best out there.

I'd suggest trying it via SSF or Beetle Saturn via Retroarch.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I can't provide any help when it comes to emulation but I wish you the best of luck in playing Shining Force 3. It's my favorite game ever.