• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
EBvpm78UEAAPR34.jpg:large

Posted on their Japanese Twitter. Seems like quite the improvement, almost on par with the model on the Wii version's cover art.

BTW, not sure who I told they were remaking the minigames but that's apparently wrong since they've shown footage of Monkey Snowboarding, which was already present in the original. They'll likely just cut down the fat.

Oct 27, 2017
Really want to get this game because it looks great, but it releasing at $40, plus the fact that they took out 80% of the mini-games for some reason, makes this difficult to buy. But I also want to show support for the franchise so SEGA knows there's still interest in it.

:|

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. When this did happen? Monkey Ball on the Switch? I'm in baby, let's do this

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Hrm, I actually prefer the more desaturated look of the left side. No idea which is supposed to be the "better" one, though.

Fake Edit - Watching some trailers on Youtube I think the left side may be the "new" one, so hooray!

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless. If anything the motion controls made it interesting
Original had 50 mini-games, this one has 10. People thought that they would be making new ones as the ones in the original varied in quality, but nope, looks like they just kept the old ones but removed a ton of content for some reason.

I want to support this game because I love the franchise but this is making it hard.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I prefer the left one, it looks more refined with a more cohesive style compared to the right more generic looking one.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Hrm, I actually prefer the more desaturated look of the left side. No idea which is supposed to be the "better" one, though.

Fake Edit - Watching some trailers on Youtube I think the left side may be the "new" one, so hooray!
The one on the right is the new one, here's another comparison:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Original had 50 mini-games, this one has 10. People thought that they would be making new ones as the ones in the original varied in quality, but nope, looks like they just kept the old ones but removed a ton of content for some reason.

Really? That's a weird move. Were many of the minigames dependent on the Wii's motion controls? Otherwise it seems really weird to just arbitrarily remove content.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Really? That's a weird move. Were many of the minigames dependent on the Wii's motion controls? Otherwise it seems really weird to just arbitrarily remove content.
Its really not, it wasnt good content. I really dont get why people are clamoring for what was basically a bunch of shovelware-tier minigames added to the capitalize on the wii remote. Its like lamenting no ones making Carnival Games HD.
They probably picked the ten that stand on their own the best and axed the rest.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Its really not, it wasnt good content. I really dont get why people are clamoring for what was basically a bunch of shovelware-tier minigames added to the capitalize on the wii remote. Its like lamenting no ones making Carnival Games HD.
They probably picked the ten that stand on their own the best and axed the rest.
Yeah, the minigames suck. They're notoriously bad.

It was a good decision to chop them

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

There's nothing arbitrary about it, the Banana Blitz minigames largely sucked. If they bring back Monkey Race, Monkey Wars, and Monkey Squash, they'll have pretty much gotten everything I would say remotely compared to the minigames from 1 and 2 in quality.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Really want to get this game because it looks great, but it releasing at $40, plus the fact that they took out 80% of the mini-games for some reason, makes this difficult to buy. But I also want to show support for the franchise so SEGA knows there's still interest in it.

:|
Actually that article could be mistranslated, they could mean they added a tournament mode that randomly picks ten of the mini games when your group can't agree on obe

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I don't care about the mini games to be honest. Except for the kart racing one on 3DS, that was fun :x

Either way, can't wait! It's been far too long without any SMB releases.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I think the motion controls were a core part of the game's fun, but then I also tend to be more up on motion controls than most of y'all

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I like the new look.

My understanding is that the game's problems stem from the motion controls. Not just from them being finicky, but also the levels being made more straightforward and with more guard rails to help with the lack of precision. Though the level designs are just not that great on their own as well.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Still baffled that they chose this one to remaster

I didn't mind the jumping, but the boss battles were a mistake

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I remember hating a LOT of the original BB's Mini-games.

I was excited for them, but I remember a ton were just shitty. Felt like a mini game collection just made to take advantage of the Wii's motion controls but it didn't even do a good job at it.
I wanted it to be like Mario Party for my Wii and to have a ton of fun with it, but I played through all of them once and never touched them again. Even the good ones from old Monkey Ball games I didn't like thanks to the motion controls.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the game I'd have asked to be ported, but I'd still be interested if it wasn't $40. I'm not sure how they came up with that price point.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm surprised, they are actually doing more than just upping the resolution.
Another one:

They've referred to the game as a remake a few times, so it's likely something in-between that and a remaster. That Twitter account has a lot of gameplay, and some of the later stages do look great under the new lighting. They're also slightly tweaking some of the stages to make them harder.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I am surprised at the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio branding.
Same although the studio did technically started using the branding after the last CS1 developed Monkey Ball game (3DS). This will officially be RGG Studio's 4th non-Yakuza title after Binary Domain, FOTNS Lost Paradise and Judgement.