• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Sales Data-

Sega.jpg

Regarding simultaneous release-

There is one more key factor that explains the brisk sales overseas. Before a Japanese game is released overseas, it is localized into the language of each country and region. For example, Persona 5 has been translated into three languages (English, traditional Chinese, and Hangul). No matter if a game is popular in Japan, it is unlikely to win over fans around the world if the localization is insufficient. The Sega Group has localization studios that make a huge difference when games are sold overseas. Atlus became a member of Sega Group due to the transfer of business in 2013, which has a studio located in California, U.S.A. The studio understands both Japanese and American games very well, and is able to localize Japanese games in a way that accurately conveys the unique world views of Japanese titles to local gamers. The studio is able to maximize the entertainment value of localized games that reflect these unique world views, and this has led to very positive reviews from local gamers. During the product development stage, game content is shared with the localization team for translation before the development is finished, facilitating the rapid release of foreign language versions of the game. We will strengthen such collaboration further with the aim of simultaneously releasing games around the world, which is an objective of Road to 2020.

From the latest integrated report-
https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/printing_annual/2018/ssh_ar18e_web.pdf

Source-https://gematsu.com/2018/10/sega-shares-updated-sales-numbers-for-persona-megami-tensei-yakuza-and-more-aiming-for-simultaneous-worldwide-releases

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would be quite an accomplishment. I can't really see simultaneous releases happening for Yakuza, but maybe they'll surprise us.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
getting Yakuza games day-and-date would be a FUCKING DREAM COME TRUE

Oct 25, 2017
Again, posting mobile downloads for some of these franchises is always a bad idea. Even if it's for PR purposes. Literally no one believes the 800 million margin for Sonic is even remotely substantial.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
football manager one of sega's strongest franchises

what a time to be alive

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Still cant work out why they didnt want Persona 5 stream when it been out in Japan for about a year already

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I expect stuff like Yakuza to be simultaneous starting with the next mainline game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Worldwide simultaneous releases from Sega would be great. Especially since a lot of their odd release time frames (like fist of the North Star & Valkyria Chronicles 4 in the holiday season) comes from that gap.

Mar 23, 2018
That would be cool as long as they don't rush the games.

Btw, what's up with Yakuza Kiwami on PC-Steam? It was slated for a 2018 release but now there's no release date available.

Oct 25, 2017
  • Yakuza series (since 2005) – Approx. 11 million (units / downloads) (packaged and digital total) across 92 total editions

That is a lot of editions.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
  • Yakuza series (since 2005) – Approx. 11 million (units / downloads) (packaged and digital total) across 92 total editions
That is a lot of editions.

As someone who absolutely loves the Yakuza series, I really don't understand how those games make money with such low sales figures per title. Reusing assets, animations, and basing everything around the same section of city all the time must really help development costs.

Dec 4, 2017
Total War series is a confirmed cash crop. Then again, I'm not surprised. Basically all the games from Medieval 2 onwards are infinitely repayable, and the mods keep them fresh.

Also, Total Warhammer is a massive success. The reception the Vampire Coast trailer got was overwhelmingly positive.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
As someone who absolutely loves the Yakuza series, I really don't understand how those games make money with such low sales figures per title. Reusing assets, animations, and basing everything around the same section of city all the time must really help development costs.
I'm not an expert in the saga but I think it's exactly that, Yakuza recycles a lot from one game to another.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
If we can get the new Sakurai Taisen day one in NA/Europe, we'll have come a long way from not even getting the first four games!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Day 1 Yakuzas would be great, but not holding my breath that that's happening. It's at the point where the wait isn't too bad nowadays anyway.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
So basically, Total War is Sega's largest current franchise that's not Sonic, Football Manager is up there too, and despite that when they create icons for 5 platforms they still don't have one for PC :P

SocrateGirl

Alt-Account.
Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Still cant work out why they didnt want Persona 5 stream when it been out in Japan for about a year already

Some people here like to yell at Capcom or Square Enix for their decisions, but Atlus is, by far, one of the stupidest company outhere.

Blocking stream, comiting to one platform per title, not releasing older titles like the amazing Persona 4G on all the recent platforms, ignoring some fans in the west, ignoring PC...

It's not a surprise they run out of business and had to be bought to stay afloat. Even then, nothing has changed. I say that as a Persona enthousiast myself. I wish they could take note at how from software handle things. I hope Sega will begin to put some sens into them.

Oct 29, 2017
I actually expected Football Manager to be much bigger TBH. Surprised to see that Total War is the bigger franchise.

Including free mobile downloads for Sonic is utterly laughable though.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
I feel sorry when management finds out who put together that chart and FORGOT TO INCLUDE THE ALEX KIDD FRANCHISE OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an expert in the saga but I think it's exactly that, Yakuza recycles a lot from one game to another.
Yep, all that helps a ton. If they had been redoing stuff for every sequel, this franchise would have likely ended a long while ago.

Oct 25, 2017
The item that jumps out at me right away is definitely the line for Total War. It has always been such a steady presence on PC but rarely gets talked about in places like these as a critical fixture of Sega's overall portfolio. (I don't think I had quite reflected on just how long the IP has been under the Sega umbrella—how time flies—but this has been the case for most of its existence now.)

If we have reports from previous years as a point of comparison, it would be useful to see how some of these numbers have grown with recent entries.

...so did that bring to mind a different Aladdin associated with Sega for anyone else <.<

At first glance I was definitely puzzled as to why something on the scale of Aladdin would show up on this report but not Bayonetta, but that was before I read the fine print and saw that it referred to the pachinko machines. It helps if you look at the actual report (page 30), which includes a legend. The IP has columns filled in for packaged and digital games as well, but they aren't included in the numbers, which reflect pachislot/pachinko only.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Cool hopefully the next SMT and Persona sequel or spin off can be worldwide from now on.

vkbest

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
"Before a Japanese game is released overseas, it is localized into the language of each country and region".

Oh, no Sega no, Chinese, Japanese and English are not only languages used on countries.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Sega Europe acts completely independent.

True, though it says a lot about the current market that Sega are finally thinking 'ooh, simultaneous releases might be cool' so I'll give them some credit in getting late to the party.

It also says a lot that despite launching lots of new IP on mobile, only Chain Chronicle made it to the 'top IP' list, and even that had its global app pulled :< I remember when I was excited by the gumi partnership once...

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Bah, I always forget mobile exists. I guess the wording is broad enough for that to be the case.
Yeah.
For reference back in 2001 when Sonic 10th anniversary happened, Sega stated that the Sonic series sold more than 25 million units.
http://sonic.sega.jp/advance/

Personally I think the console Sonic games total sales to be less than 100 million units but more than 50 million (certainly higher than 57M :-) ).

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember SEGA saying worldwide and only two months after release Yakuza here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Not sure how free mobile downloads for some of the IP listed is a considered wrong by some people here. It is an example of cultural awareness. Now if they started listing stuff like the comics or cartoon sales or whatever in there that would be bullshit.

Yeah.
For reference back in 2001 when Sonic 10th anniversary happened, Sega stated that the Sonic series sold more than 25 million units.
http://sonic.sega.jp/advance/

Personally I think the console Sonic games total sales to be less than 100 million units but more than 50 million (certainly higher than 57M :-) ).
It is much higher than that. In a Japanese Sonic Forces trailer they directly stated that the series has sold over 350 million copies. That is around Pokemon numbers if I recall correctly.

Came in here to say the same thing. Sega really deaded this franchise huh :/
A lot of their notable franchises are not listed. I would not worry about that though, they are specifically focusing on IP revivals constantly and almost always list VF as an important brand to them. They are just being careful with it IMO.

But to answer your question, the last I heard it was around 10 million units. That is not fantastic but certainly better than most fighting game franchises out there.