• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
After having to go take a serious look at how your attempt to move "forward" fell flat on its face in Forces (aka Generations 2 by another name), I would hope even more so now that Iizuka is willing to go back to Adventure, and mine those old games for ideas while you set about remaking them. You get to revisit games that people actually liked (or still like, in other instances), and if they're received well? Then by all means, expand on those things that worked so well and jettison those that don't. (And hopefully, have Flynn on hand to make the character dialogue sound much more natural!)
The bolded is why I'm curious to see if these HD remake rumours are true. As SA1/2 had some real potential for how Sonic could control in a 3D space.

Also, it is hard to take what Iizuka states at face value either, did he not say that it was unlikely that they would bring classic Sonic's design back after the negative reception of Sonic 4? Then Generations was announced shortly afterward.... I cannot find the source on this, but remember this was floating about during the pre-Sonic Colours hype.

So it would not surprise me if they do go back to the Adventure gameplay style for the next title (or at least merge it with the Generations Modern Sonic Stages in some manner).

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Are there actually rumors? I see lots of fans saying they'd like remakes, but nothing beyond that.
A lot of what I have seen are just going by what people have been saying recently here and elsewhere.

And possible hints by SEGA/Sonic Team recently with remixes of music from Tee Lopes and Jun Senoue.
Iizuka also wants a Sonic Adventure remake.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The Adventure games were bad games too, really.
They were critically well received by both reviewers and fans on release, going on to sell incredibly well. Just because they've aged poorly (like almost 99% of games from this era) doesn't negate these facts. I don't understand why so many are obsessed with this revisionist history.

Where these games fail to hit the 3D platforming standards today is where Sonic Team needs to focus on building off the Adventure foundation with the proper amount of polish and care.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
They were critically well received by both reviewers and fans on release, going on to sell incredibly well. Just because they've aged poorly (like almost 99% of games from this era) doesn't negate these facts. I don't understand why so many are obsessed with this revisionist history.

Where these games failto hit the 3D platforming standards today is where Sonic Team needs to focus on building off the Adventure foundation with the proper amount of polish and care.
Right, it's also why the chorus of "they already made Sonic Adventure 3 it was Sonic 06 LOLOLOL" annoys me whenever it pipes up in unison after someone expresses a desire for Sonic Adventure 3. You know what they mean, they want an Adventure-style game that's good. Sonic 06 wasn't bad because it had hub worlds, it's an unplayable mess.

SA1 provides a solid framework, a remake that just removed the jank would be fantastic. Give it the Crash/Spyro remaster treatment, punch up the script, overhaul Big's campaign and release a mobile app with Chao interactivity and you're all set. There's easily room for extra content too (playable Super Sonic, a Metal Sonic campaign), though I'd rather the team focus on honing the main game first before exploring any of that.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
A lot of what I have seen are just going by what people have been saying recently here and elsewhere.

And possible hints by SEGA/Sonic Team recently with remixes of music from Tee Lopes and Jun Senoue.
Iizuka also wants a Sonic Adventure remake.

Considering the rest of the remixes include Can You Feel The Sunshine and Splash Hill Zone, I don't think that Station Square track can realistically be taken to mean anything.

I would love to be proven wrong though. Even if it would almost certainly be a wish on a monkey's paw.

Oct 27, 2017

Where these games fail to hit the 3D platforming standards today is where Sonic Team needs to focus on building off the Adventure foundation with the proper amount of polish and care.

Graphically they were impressive for their time (and a game like Unleashed still looks great even 12 years later), but the camera, controls and story didn't suddenly become a broken mess, they were always bad. We just had higher tolerance for stuff like that back in the day.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Graphically they were impressive for their time (and a game like Unleashed still looks great even 12 years later), but the camera, controls and story didn't suddenly become a broken mess, they were always bad. We just had higher tolerance for stuff like that back in the day.
Given with SA1 the camera and controls got worse with every port I'd take issue with that. The Dreamcast version still plays much better than any other version of the game.

The cut scenes were always bad, but the story is fine. It fleshed out the lore in a meaningful way and rarely dipped into grimdark territory the way later games (even SA2) did, to everyone's derision. The Rashomon style of storytelling is also super interesting for a series like Sonic with such a low target age.

Hire some talented writers (read: not Pontac and Graff) and you could easily make something entertaining out of the story.

Oct 27, 2017
Given with SA1 the camera and controls got worse with every port I'd take issue with that. The Dreamcast version still plays much better than any other version of the game.

The cut scenes were always bad, but the story is fine. It fleshed out the lore in a meaningful way and rarely dipped into grimdark territory the way later games (even SA2) did, to everyone's derision. The Rashomon style of storytelling is also super interesting for a series like Sonic with such a low target age.

Hire some talented writers (read: not Pontac and Graff) and you could easily make something entertaining out of the story.

The story was definitely more palatable in SA1 (and Heroes, for that matter) than the cringeworthy attempts at dark, serious stories they came up with in SA2 and Shadow. I was never a huge fan of the story and setting in SA1 though, suddenly having a Sonic game set in 'our world' rather than the more fiction-like setting of the old games just felt kinda... out of place.

Never played the DC version of SA1, just the PC port and the later PS3 port, and my god is the camera beyond help in those ports. The controls are awful too, and having to hear Robotnik howling about 'get a load a' this' over and over again, every bossfight against him, was grating to say the least.

It's not the worst game ever obviously, but Sonic as a series took a steep decline in quality with the transition to 3D. Sega trying their hand at so many different gameplay styles and story styles has just created a mess with fans who only like the 2D games, fans who like the 2D and the more lighthearted 3D games, fans who only care about the more serious 3D games, fans who like the Adventure style but not the twitchy boost style, fans who like the twitchy boost style but finds the Adventure style boring, and of course the.. weirder part of the fanbase. You know the one.

Either way, I don't think Sonic Team has a clear vision for what they want Sonic as a series to be, what to do with it or where to take it. So whatever they make this time, after 20+ years of mostly bad to mediocre games from them, I have no hope this will be the game that rights all the wrongs of the past.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the rumor means anything, but at some point or another, Sega will give in and return to Sonic Adventure, whether it's remakes or Adventure 3. The fan base is getting louder every year.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The music leak seems to be real and it's definitely interesting but don't know if it means much at the moment.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Ayyy, welcome back!

Personally, I'm leaning to the side of "too much smoke to not be fire". But time will tell, I'm sure.

Thanks! I've learned not to engage folks who can't disagree with civility.

Yeah. The thing that's most interesting about it is that there's a apparently a render of the cast in Station Square floating around. If we can get that, we're golden.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Apologies if I'm bothering you, BlazeHedgehog, but did the anonymous source take or/have any photographic evidence of this recording? Apparently there was key art, as you and Sonic Stadium described.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
No, no photos. Just audio. He sent us the two clips we posted, plus a little bit of other material we were instructed not to post on the grounds that it could be used to identify him. None of it was pictures or video.

The source made it sound like this was a somewhat private practice session in a studio, but also noted that there were an uncommonly large number of people present. Doesn't really sound like it was a good environment to line up photos, but it's another story entirely when you're recording audio in secret.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Nah.
latest
#TeamTHISSonic

It seems like the Sonic Team is *always* having some kind of "campaign". At some point, people are gonna get sick of the promises of a brighter, getting-it-righter future for the franchise. Well, those that haven't already...

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Totally forgot about this. Very interesting. News every 20th day this year.

No, no photos. Just audio. He sent us the two clips we posted, plus a little bit of other material we were instructed not to post on the grounds that it could be used to identify him. None of it was pictures or video.

The source made it sound like this was a somewhat private practice session in a studio, but also noted that there were an uncommonly large number of people present. Doesn't really sound like it was a good environment to line up photos, but it's another story entirely when you're recording audio in secret.

And thanks for this. Was really curious to see if there was anything else that was caught.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
The Sonic Cycle starts anew.

Sega are really good at giving fans hope. They just let you down, set new expectations that they won't do it again but eventually return to the same status quo of mediocrity.

If it ends up shattering these expectations, feed me all your crow. I welcome it.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the Sonic Team is *always* having some kind of "campaign". At some point, people are gonna get sick of the promises of a brighter, getting-it-righter future for the franchise. Well, those that haven't already...

I came here to say the same. It's always the same song and dance. "We're preparing to make this the best year ever for Sonic!" I'm so tired of the empty promises.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
They can't have a real announcement every month, can they? Maybe they will start off with a banger in February but I'm sure there's minor merch stuff mixed in there.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I expect anything major to be announced at SXSW in March. This is being done by SOJ so they'll probably be minor announcements.

This is also supposed to be a lead into the big guns next year, so expectations are low on this.

bad poster

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Right, it's also why the chorus of "they already made Sonic Adventure 3 it was Sonic 06 LOLOLOL" annoys me whenever it pipes up in unison after someone expresses a desire for Sonic Adventure 3. You know what they mean, they want an Adventure-style game that's good.

well, sure, but when is the fourth time ever the charm?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic launching with new consoles would be dope. curious to see how Hedgehog 2 is utilized on new hardware

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sonic Forces is any indication, it will look exactly the same, if not worse.
Sonic Unleashed benefited from being only on the 360/PS3. Forces (among other issues) had to be playable on the switch. this might be worst because of the wide range, but they can still, at least, add some flourishes on top of the game. one thing they touted with the Hedgehog Engine in Sonic Unleashed was the GI solution. doing realtime GI would definitely make the game appear different. but I suspect we'll just get reflections and AO, if we get RT at all. at least we'll definitely get 4K/60

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
From between now and SXSW, i'm fully expecting some weird vague stuff with some hints, then a Project Sonic 2017 type of reveal during the panel.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
If Sonic Forces is any indication, it will look exactly the same, if not worse.
Are you serious? This must be a case of not having played a game in so long your mind remembers it better. I went back and played Generations on PS3 and it was a jaggy mess compared to Forces. The lighting was also way worse. Gameplay was better but I was shocked at how bad it looked.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
SXSW can be hit or miss, as we know. At best, I'm hoping that maybe we'll get information on the supposed new cartoon we've been hearing about, and maybe Flynn can let us know a bit about what else he's planning for the IDW comic after the Zombot arc FINALLY comes to a close.

Anything else about games is something we'll have to wait and see about.

Enough Sonic. Give us more Puyo Puyo Tetris, something that ST is actually good at making!
0.jpg
But hell, while we're talking about things we wish Sonic Team could make or sign off on?

I'd personally love the return of the "Phantasy Star Portable" line, on Switch. Or even better, a true successor to "Phantasy Star Zero" from the DS days.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
All I want is Mania 2.

That's all I want.
Yup.

After the triple disappointment of Boom, Lost World and Forces, I don't trust anyone but the Mania team to make a great Sonic game.

Watching a AGDQ speed run of Colors last week really hurt. Brought me back to a time when I thought 3D Sonic was coming back.

Give me Mania 2.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
I want a new original game, with brand new levels and such. Whether it be 3D or 2D, I think we've retreaded familiar locations enough for a while.