• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm worried that Sega actually is stupid enough to try to make the next Sonic game next-gen only

We'll see

Its going to be on as many platforms as possible. Even major third party series are going to be cross gen. The new Sonic being next gen only makes as much sense as The Witcher 4 being exclusive to Nintendo lol.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if nothing else sega would be insane to not be planning a switch version of whatever they're cooking, so a current gen PS4/xbone version should be totally possible no matter what.

They're not going to make a sonic game where there isn't a version on Nintendo hardware, lol. They even went to the point when the hardware wasn't up to snuff to make entirely separate games with the same title for Nintendo hardware with unleashed and generations. When was the last time that actually happened, sonic 06? And hardware being much more demanding nowadays means they'll just make one version and demographics totally mean the switch version will probably be the most successful one.
They tried to do that with 06 too and it turned into Secret Rings.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Didn't Nintendo have an exclusive deal for Sonic's main games for a little while during the Wii and then Wii U era? I wonder how much that contributed to strong Sonic sales in Nintendo hardware. With Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games along with the exclusives, Sonic was a big name on Nintendo hardware for a good while.

If Bayonetta ever ends up multiplatform again then I could see a similar situation.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Didn't Nintendo have an exclusive deal for Sonic's main games for a little while during the Wii and then Wii U era? I wonder how much that contributed to strong Sonic sales in Nintendo hardware. With Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games along with the exclusives, Sonic was a big name on Nintendo hardware for a good while.

If Bayonetta ever ends up multiplatform again then I could see a similar situation.
Nintendo helped fund Colors and Lost World in return for exclusivity, I think (Lost World clearly had Nintendo money involved but not sure about Colors). But Sega made great strides on their own accord to build a Sonic fanbase on Nintendo platforms soon after they exited the hardware market with ports of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 to GameCube, the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush series on handhelds, etc.

Apr 21, 2018

If Bayonetta ever multiplatform again then I could see a similar situation.
Sonic sales were strong since the gamecube and had a peak on wii(the deal was during the Wii U era)

Last edited:

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
If only Sonic Team/Sega Studios USA had started work on a Sonic game for Wii after Shadow instead of moving onto Nights. It could have somewhat mitigated the issues with Sonic 06 as the team wouldn't have needed to split. Not that I think 06 would have turned out great anyway, but it probably wouldn't have been the complete disaster it was.

I believe SA2 was in the top 10 best-selling Gamecube games in the US. I assume that Heroes and Shadow did well on the system as well. That, along with the sucess of Colours and the Olympic titles, was probably why the deal happened in the first place. Nintendo even published Lost World in Europe.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the best selling third party game on the Gamecube, outright. Heroes, Mega Collection and DX were all million sellers as well.

Apr 21, 2018
Nintendo helped fund Colors and Lost World in return for exclusivity, I think (Lost World clearly had Nintendo money involved but not sure about Colors). But Sega made great strides on their own accord to build a Sonic fanbase on Nintendo platforms soon after they exited the hardware market with ports of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 to GameCube, the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush series on handhelds, etc.

"Sonic Lost World was revealed on May 17, 2013 in a Nintendo Direct announcement,[28] as part of an exclusive partnership between Sega and Nintendo for the Sonic the Hedgehog series.[27] It is one of three games in this partnership, the other ones being the fourth entry to the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series, and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, a game based on the Sonic Boom animated series. "

The deal was about Sonic Lost World and Sonic boom, not Sonic Colors...
Wikipedia isn't 100% reliable but i confirm it. I remember it was during Wii U era.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making a AAA switch game then upporting to other systems is the best move here. No one is gonna complain at a Mario Odyssey-looking game at 4K/60

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think Sonic Forces was targeting PS4 spec and scaled down to Switch pretty well for the most part. The only really bad move Sega could make is going next-gen exclusive.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Sonic Lost World was revealed on May 17, 2013 in a Nintendo Direct announcement,[28] as part of an exclusive partnership between Sega and Nintendo for the Sonic the Hedgehog series.[27] It is one of three games in this partnership, the other ones being the fourth entry to the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series, and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, a game based on the Sonic Boom animated series. "

Wikipedia isn't 100% reliable but i confirm it. I remember it was during Wii U era.

Yeah the deal games were lost world, boom and an Olympics game. Colors was not. Sega even tried to pass colors off as a kids game and Sonic the portable 4 as the real game for real fans it was crazy.

Apr 21, 2018
Yeah the deal games were lost world, boom and an Olympics game. Colors was not. Sega even tried to pass colors off as a kids game and Sonic the portable 4 as the real game for real fans it was crazy.
Asking help from Dimps wasn't a good idea anyway.(indeed, Colors team was much more talented. Are they working at Nintendo now ?)

If the rumour is true Sonic Team lost again a precious team :/

Nak... no. Yasuhara, comebaaaack :)

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
A number of Sonic Team members jumped ship from SEGA to Nintendo EPD Tokyo. Mario Odyssey credits confirmed that.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
As a big, thirsty Sonic fan this is disappointing but completely understandable.

My birthday is in April so getting some decent Sonic news then would be cool.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A number of Sonic Team members jumped ship from SEGA to Nintendo EPD Tokyo. Mario Odyssey credits confirmed that.
Eeeehhhh, the credits confirmed that like, a couple of people who previously worked on Sonic games worked on Mario Odyssey. We don't know if they're even employees who "jumped ship", they could very well have been contract workers.

It seems unlikely that it's really the reason why Mario Odyssey has some stuff that's sorta similar to Sonic games also. It's more likely a coincidence.

Oct 25, 2017
Not being on switch would be a bad decision
How would the switch whole it back when the best 3d games have been on weak Nintendo platforms?
Bad take, Sonic doesn't need the shiniest new hardware to make a good game
heuhuehuehue, the sonic games sell better on nintendo hardware, they're not going to ignore it unless they want it to fail even more
I mean, if nothing else sega would be insane to not be planning a switch version of whatever they're cooking, so a current gen PS4/xbone version should be totally possible no matter what.

They're not going to make a sonic game where there isn't a version on Nintendo hardware, lol. They even went to the point when the hardware wasn't up to snuff to make entirely separate games with the same title for Nintendo hardware with unleashed and generations. When was the last time that actually happened, sonic 06? And hardware being much more demanding nowadays means they'll just make one version and demographics totally mean the switch version will probably be the most successful one.
I believe it's a catch 22 situation. If Sega bothered to put a AAA Sonic title leading on next-gen platforms, people might give a damn and buy it. Instead we get limp offerings line Forces, which turns no heads. Sonic 06 was a big seller despite the horrendous critical reception. Also, Sonic selling better on Nintendo hardware is disingenuous since most of those titles were exclusives to begin with.

The sales of Ratchet PS4, Crash and Spyro remakes prove there's a market for high-end platformers on non-Nintendo hardware. Sega just needs to invest in their iconic character for once. You're not going to excite the consumer base with budget titles.

I'm not saying skip the Switch outright. But approach it with the Unleashed method, and build a game that caters best to the Switch console without holding back next-gen versions.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also, Sonic selling better on Nintendo hardware is disingenuous since most of those titles were exclusives to begin with

Nintendo hardware has a number of exclusive sonic games /because/ they perform better there, not the other way around. If it were financially sound to have exclusives on the other platforms, they would have had them too.

The sales of Ratchet PS4, Crash and Spyro remakes prove there's a market for high-end platformers on non-Nintendo hardware. Sega just needs to invest in their iconic character for once. You're not going to excite the consumer base with budget titles.

I mean... Your definition of high end platformer is some PS1 remakes which released at a budget pricepoint and had three games of old content included? Uh...
(Ratchet PS4 doesn't seem to have solid sales numbers, but it isn't even anywhere close to crash or spyro)
I'm not saying skip the Switch outright. But approach it with the Unleashed method, and build a game that caters best to the Switch console without holding back next-gen versions

Not a single company would ever consider doing this at this point. Game development became so much more expensive since the Wii and Ds/3ds hardware left the market with no options for budget development. Making an entirely separate game for current gen level hardware when sonic team are evidently stretched thin trying to make one game is likely impossible.

By asking for a high end next gen game you are by default asking for there to be no switch version and no third party making a game like sonic is going to make that decision.

Frankly, there won't even be that much benefit any more to a game series like sonic from next generation hardware. They've not even been trying to push the hardware this entire generation, let alone a new, more expensive to develop generation with no audience yet. All they need to do is just make a good game again, rather than burn a ton of money for no reason.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Quoting myself from the MC thread:
That was probably a decision made above him. The Sega Direct seemed like yesterday.

Edit: After watching that again I miss Iwata again. Also replaced with the full version

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo hardware has a number of exclusive sonic games /because/ they perform better there, not the other way around. If it were financially sound to have exclusives on the other platforms, they would have had them too.
This thinking didn't do the sales for games like Lost World or Boom any favors. Both the 3DS and WiiU SKUs for Lost World combined barely crawled past 700k. Boom couldn't even crack half a million. It's clear they need to move beyond relying on Nintendo consoles for the bulk of their sales, since it's not guaranteed anymore.
I mean... Your definition of high end platformer is some PS1 remakes which released at a budget pricepoint and had three games of old content included? Uh...
(Ratchet PS4 doesn't seem to have solid sales numbers, but it isn't even anywhere close to crash or spyro)
To clarify, I meant lower budget development, not necessarily budget MSRP. Crash and Spyro may be remakes of PS1 titles, but they at least looked beautiful and like they belonged on current gen hardware.

Ratchet PS4 was the most successful Ratchet/Insomniac title in their entire history (until Spiderman of course). And also looked amazing.

You put in a real effort, the fans will come.

Forces had such a low budget, so much outsourcing, and loss in key staff, it ended up looking worse than Unleashed, a 12 year old game. Hell, it almost looked worse than Colors!
Not a single company would ever consider doing this at this point. Game development became so much more expensive since the Wii and Ds/3ds hardware left the market with no options for budget development. Making an entirely separate game for current gen level hardware when sonic team are evidently stretched thin trying to make one game is likely impossible.

By asking for a high end next gen game you are by default asking for there to be no switch version and no third party making a game like sonic is going to make that decision.
This is ultimately Sega's call, but with the success of the Sonic film, they may feel more comfortable in expanding the budget to cater to two consoles for the franchise's 30th anniversary. Again, this wouldn't be new territory for them having done the same with Unleashed, Generations and Lost World.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
This thinking didn't do the sales for games like Lost World or Boom any favors. Both the 3DS and WiiU SKUs for Lost World combined barely crawled past 700k. Boom couldn't even crack half a million. It's clear they need to move beyond relying on Nintendo consoles for the bulk of their sales, since it's not guaranteed anymore.

I mean they also have to make the games not shit. I think that part goes without saying.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
My fanfic:
Sonic Colors Remastered announced, Switch exclusive containing touched up visuals, controls and levels.

A new 3D Sonic by the Monkey Ball team that adapts the momentum-based gameplay to said dimension.

Sonic Boom the animated series gets new season and comes to Netflix. Crosses over with other Sega franchises, one of which will start sharing canon.

Sonic Mania 2. Enough said.

Sonic & Sega All Stars Fighting Megamix - A 3d fighter by the Virtua Fighter devs. Features an updated roster from games including Yakuza, Ecco, Puyo Puyo, Sakura Wars and more.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They're not going to skip the Switch in favor of "looking beautiful" on the PS4/XB1. Nor are they going to make two different games. Come on, y'all.

It's pretty disingenuous to act like the Switch is in anywhere near the same universe the Wii U was in.

I mean they also have to make the games not shit. I think that part goes without saying.

This too.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
It's pretty disingenuous to act like the Switch is in anywhere near the same universe the Wii U was in.

But Lost World and Boom were also cross-platform with 3DS iterations which didn't exactly light up the sales charts either.

I also disagree that Lost World 3DS, Shattered Crystal, and Fire & Ice were "shit," having played through all of them and enjoying them for what they were, but opinions are subjective.

I will say though that at 47/100 Metascore, Shattered Crystal is one of the most underrated Sonic games out there. Its biggest fault is that it was too short for its original $40 asking price, but now that you can grab it for cheap, it's well worth trying out. And the sequel is even better.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Fire & Ice was fiiiiine

Like a decent quality McDonalds hamburger

Widely available, tastes pretty good, probably not super healthy for you, and you'll forget about it by tomorrow

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Fire and Ice was ok

My fanfic:
Sonic Colors Remastered announced, Switch exclusive containing touched up visuals, controls and levels.

A new 3D Sonic by the Monkey Ball team that adapts the momentum-based gameplay to said dimension.

Sonic Boom the animated series gets new season and comes to Netflix. Crosses over with other Sega franchises, one of which will start sharing canon.

Sonic Mania 2. Enough said.

Sonic & Sega All Stars Fighting Megamix - A 3d fighter by the Virtua Fighter devs. Features an updated roster from games including Yakuza, Ecco, Puyo Puyo, Sakura Wars and more.

Except for the last thing, I hate everything you said.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I need receipts for this "nintendo helped funding sonic games" thing, all it did was having exclusivity deals with 3 games for Wii U, also people are forgetting that Lost World actually came to PC in 2015 anyway! something that wouldn't happen if nintendo helped funding it, given how Bayonetta 2 is STILL Nin exclusive for this very reason, despite them re-releasing Bayonetta 1 multiple times after it, for as recent as last month on PS4

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I need receipts for this "nintendo helped funding sonic games" thing, all it did was having exclusivity deals with 3 games for Wii U, also people are forgetting that Lost World actually came to PC in 2015 anyway! something that wouldn't happen if nintendo helped funding it

ok, so

what do you think those "exclusivity deals" entailed

what did sega get out of it, that they would agree to make the games exclusive for a time

Dec 2, 2017
I need receipts for this "nintendo helped funding sonic games" thing, all it did was having exclusivity deals with 3 games for Wii U, also people are forgetting that Lost World actually came to PC in 2015 anyway! something that wouldn't happen if nintendo helped funding it, given how Bayonetta 2 is STILL Nin exclusive for this very reason, despite them re-releasing Bayonetta 1 multiple times after it, for as recent as last month on PS4
But wonderful 101 is now multi plat, despite being Wii U exclusive.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
ok, so

what do you think those "exclusivity deals" entailed

what did sega get out of it, that they would agree to make the games exclusive for a time
They -SEGA- get more money in exchange for limited-time exclusivity, they probably got the money firsthand.

That doesn't make nintendo specifically funding sonic games, they don't go to lost world and be like "oh we are funding this specific game" or sonic boom -just imagine nintendo allowing and funding such a broken game lol-,the same way Sony isn't funding FF7 remake despite it having the exclusivity deal for 1 year.

It's different thing with bayonetta where nintendo specifically funded bayonetta 2 and helped publish it, they didn't publish the sonic games for Wii U, it was still SEGA

But wonderful 101 is now multi plat, despite being Wii U exclusive.
i didn't forgot it but i wasn't ever sure if Nintendo actually funded it or not and how involved they were , but that's still a special case and a recent one and with the help of kickstarter no less, Sonic Lost World came to PC 5 years ago

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They -SEGA- get more money in exchange for limited-time exclusivity, they probably got the money firsthand.

This seems like a distinction without a difference. If Nintendo gave Sega money to get them to make three Sonic games as part of an exclusivity deal, you could say that Nintendo helped fund the games. It doesn't matter if they did it before they ever saw the game or not.

That doesn't make nintendo specifically funding sonic games, they don't go to lost world and be like "oh we are funding this specific game"

Whoever said anything like that happened? Why is that even relevant?

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy of how low a priority Sonic became for Sega in the last console generation. 3 games is the same amount the Valkyria Franchise got even.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i didn't forgot it but i wasn't ever sure if Nintendo actually funded it or not and how involved they were , but that's still a special case and a recent one and with the help of kickstarter no less, Sonic Lost World came to PC 5 years ago
Nintendo funded and, allegedly, still co-owns it like they do Astral Chain and Fire Emblem, and Kirby

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a distinction without a difference. If Nintendo gave Sega money to get them to make three Sonic games as part of an exclusivity deal, you could say that Nintendo helped fund the games. It doesn't matter if they did it before they ever saw the game or not.
They give sega money to make them exclusives, not to help them make the games, that is all, the deal retroactively made sonic boom an exclusive Wii U game that made a lot of trouble cause that game was already in development and the cry engine was not made compatible with Wii U in fact, the wii u release only hurted the game, and the rest is history.

Whoever said anything like that happened? Why is that even relevant?
the post i first replied to said that. the relevancy is that a "potential" colors may needs nintendo agreement -not that it will ever happen anyway lol-
I just don't like seeing some misinformations spread without a basis in reality, that is all.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
colors was the successor to the previous two exclusive Wii games, unless some of yall think NIntendo paid for those too. Sega making Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games has been a thing way before Lost World and Boom, Nintendo was just a bit more invested with Boom

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Eh W101 and Lego City Undercover are in the same boat, former Wii U third party exclusives with deep Nintendo involvement that went multiplat later on

I assume Lost World was the same case
Lost World was really good amd introduced many new good mechanics.
Agreed on the latter but not the former

Lost World had some great ideas but stumbled hard in its execution