• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Adventure has the best story out of any Sonic game and it's not really close.

It felt like a real attempt at a serious story without going overboard into territory aliens invading earth, giant laser cannons in space, shooting guns, and racing along a highway to meet the president of the United States.

It's a good game. Has it aged well? Absolutely not, but it was truly something at the time. It's in my Top 15 lol.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Lost World was a great experimental title and say what you want but its OST also had some amazing tracks, like this one:

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Except for the last thing, I hate everything you said.
APKvWkzO9XFyW4U4JdgDgPBw84qc4DIayiGLm3XUgF0.png

Adding on to my glorious fanfiction then:
  • Sonic Team changes its name and ceases Sonic game development, focusing instead on its strengths of action and puzzle games.
  • Sega builds a new Western studio primarily for mainline 2D and 3D(edit) Sonic games(Mania is mainline now) bringing several Mania and fangame devs on board

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure has the best story out of any Sonic game and it's not really close.

It felt like a real attempt at a serious story without going overboard into territory aliens invading earth, giant laser cannons in space, shooting guns, and racing along a highway to meet the president of the United States
Nah

And everything that you described sounds like fun

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
At least with Adventure gameplay I felt more in control and less on rails. Sonic just feels too rigid in boost games. I wanna explore.

I feel like this is more of a problem starting with Sonic Colors. Colors and Forces are really, really, REALLY controlling about what they'll let you do when, and it fucking sucks. Sonic Generations does, too, to a lesser extent. There are invisible walls in some Sonic Generations stages in really weird places, just because they're too afraid you might accidentally kill yourself.

I will beat the drum of Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages until the day I die. They were the near-perfect boost Sonic gameplay and Sega seems to be afraid to go back to that.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I believe it's a catch 22 situation. If Sega bothered to put a AAA Sonic title leading on next-gen platforms, people might give a damn and buy it. Instead we get limp offerings line Forces, which turns no heads. Sonic 06 was a big seller despite the horrendous critical reception. Also, Sonic selling better on Nintendo hardware is disingenuous since most of those titles were exclusives to begin with.

The sales of Ratchet PS4, Crash and Spyro remakes prove there's a market for high-end platformers on non-Nintendo hardware. Sega just needs to invest in their iconic character for once. You're not going to excite the consumer base with budget titles.

I'm not saying skip the Switch outright. But approach it with the Unleashed method, and build a game that caters best to the Switch console without holding back next-gen versions.
The reality is for every multiplatform Sonic we have splits for Nintendo platforms account for either the majority or at least competitive sales. Even on relatively failed systems like Gamecube (vs PS2) or Wii U (vs PS360). There definitely is an audience argument to make there.

Also, Sonic 06 was considered a mediocre seller at the time. Compared to something like Forces yes it sold well, but it was one of the worse selling mainline Sonic contemporaneously in it's day and well below the non-mainline Wii spinoff (Secret Rings) as well as the previous last gen multiplats (Heroes, Shadow). Unleashed would've been in the same boat of not for the SD version (Wii/PS2) and also Generations too (3DS), there really isn't a strong commercial argument for spending big on a PS/Xbox high end Sonic at all, it's quite the opposite.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Sonic 06 sold poorly because it had abysmal reviews and WOM. A Wii version wouldn't have added that many more sales, I think.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic 06 sold poorly because it had abysmal reviews and WOM. A Wii version wouldn't have added that many more sales, I think.
Wii/PS2/PC probably would've pushed it into the 1.5-2.5m camp like it did for Unleashed and Generations imo. Unleashed and Generations on PS360 didn't sell appreciably more than 06 did really, they added more platforms that pushed sales significantly.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
APKvWkzO9XFyW4U4JdgDgPBw84qc4DIayiGLm3XUgF0.png

Adding on to my glorious fanfiction then:
  • Sonic Team changes its name and ceases Sonic game development, focusing instead on its strengths of action and puzzle games.
  • Sega builds a new Western studio primarily for mainline Sonic games(Mania is mainline now) bringing several Sonic Mania and fangame devs on board
I would sooner have 2D sonic die than for it to be the only sonic games made

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Speaking of Sonic Generations that was another PS360 multiplat that should have been on Wii U. Wonder why that never materialized.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the April event delivers. I've never been this down on the Sonic series. During the '06 days we at least had the handheld games, and there were constantly new releases to look forward to.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I'm purely talking about the story. The plot of the rest of the games ranges from horrible to cringy to serviceable. Adventure's was the only one that I would call solid at nearly all points of it.
I'm talking about the story. Everything you just said sounds like rad fun shit for kids instead of going too fair. And I wouldn't call adventures story the "best of it " even in that regard.
The comic's storyline right now is a makeshift zombie apocalypse with deaths, sonic's stories are weird and they generally get better the more they embrace that shit outside of the very extreme end.

Oct 25, 2017

It felt like a real attempt at a serious story without going overboard into territory aliens invading earth, giant laser cannons in space, shooting guns, and racing along a highway to meet the president of the United States.

It's a good game. Has it aged well? Absolutely not, but it was truly something at the time. It's in my Top 15 lol.
Yep. SA1 had great character driven narratives, each character had their own arc, and didn't slide into this melodramatic bullshit while did justice to the rashoman style of storytelling. Shit like Sonic getting put in jail and Gerald getting slaughtered by firing squad have no place in a Sonic game. Like wtf??

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the April event delivers. I've never been this down on the Sonic series. During the '06 days we at least had the handheld games, and there were constantly new releases to look forward to.
Sort of in the same boat here. There was arguably TOO much Sonic back then, but the pendulum kind of swung the other way this decade. Which I'd mind less if the few releases we got were all high quality, but since Transformed in 2012 I've really only resonated with Mania. And as much as I love Mania, I've always been more of a 3D fan since I was introduced to the series with SA1. So waiting 3 to 4 years between 3D Sonic games only for titles on both ends (Lost World / Forces) to be mediocre is such a bummer. My gut feeling tells me we won't get another major 3D title until next year for the anniversary on top of that so I really hope this one delivers.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think there will be a teaser of some sort, but yeah, I wouldn't expect the game until next June, at the earliest.

I expect it to be cross gen, though.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I think there will be a teaser of some sort, but yeah, I wouldn't expect the game until next June, at the earliest.

I just want some type of Mania follow-up, this year. Maybe we can get that, so that the pressure can be taken off the 3D game's squad a bit for next year.

Oh, and welcome back, again~!

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

Helpful to know, Zippo always bringing the love.

Of course "the game" worries me. Figured they had one or two Sonic games up their sleeve for 2020 considering it's the year of Sonic.

Fingers are still crossed for a Mania follow-up.

Hell I would totally buy ports of Colors, Generations, Adventure 1 & 2 on Switch. A Dimps Sonic collection even.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I just want some type of Mania follow-up, this year. Maybe we can get that, so that the pressure can be taken off the 3D game's squad a bit for next year.

Oh, and welcome back, again~!

That is my dream, but i don't know exactly how possible that is at the moment. No idea what Evening Star's first game will be yet.

Oh and thanks. Going to stay out of trouble now, haha.

Helpful to know, Zippo always bringing the love.

Of course "the game" worries me. Figured they had one or two Sonic games up their sleeve for 2020 considering it's the year of Sonic.

Fingers are still crossed for a Mania follow-up.

Hell I would totally buy ports of Colors, Generations, Adventure 1 & 2 on Switch. A Dimps Sonic collection even.

It's possible it may be mainline, also poosible it isn't. I don't think they'd be doing this campaign this year if they didn't have something releasing, though. The heavy hitters will definitely come next year, though.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I'm not for a Mania sequel, but that doesn't mean I'm against a new 2D Sonic, in fact it's the opposite. But I would like to see a new game with fresh ideas and new zones, rather than an another best-of.

But TBH, I don't expect it will happen. If a new 2D game is to happen, it's most likely a Mania 2. As for the 3D games, they should take their inspiration from Sonic Robo Blast 2, from what I've seen, it looks very fun (and no, because it's a Sonic game doesn't mean you have to include a looping somewhere), and it could be a new game a la Mania, but in 3D, like a lost Sonic 3D for the Saturn.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There's going to be another Sonic Station Live next friday (27):

twitter.com

ソニック委員会・ザ・ムービー on Twitter

“ソニック公式番組、ソニックステーションLIVE! 今月は3/27(金)20:00から、星野一幸クリエイティブディレクター&瀬上純シリーズサウンドディレクターのMCでお届けします! 📺番組視聴はこちら https://t.co/S1otenX9jm #ソニックステーションLIVE #ソニステ”

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

New animated short is confirmed to exist. Was probably going to be shown at the panel today

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
End of March is here, so hopefully we should be hearing their plans soon.

My guess is that it'll be a Direct/State of Play type of presentation, so they'll announce it a few days beforehand and then stream it.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Please. I'm in the mood for some new Sonic games-- even ports of old ones.

Sidenote- I find it slightly distressing to see the uptick in Sonic Heroes port/sequel begging on Instagram and Twitter. it's not a good game. I rented and bought it out of desperation for a Sonic Adventure 3 back in the day, but even then I was frustrated with the broken level gimmicks, glitchy platforming and terrible "level-up" combat. I've revisited it in hopes that it would have aged better...it hasn't.

A lot of Sonic fan YouTubers have gone back to it over the years in hopes of finding something cool but the result is always the same and the person doing the video has to explain why the game, despite it's great presentation and soundtrack, is a really joyless experience overall.

Perfect example is GeekCritique who is a pretty big 3D Sonic apologist:
www.youtube.com

SONIC HEROES: The Icon's Decline | GEEK CRITIQUE

In 2003, the Sonic the Hedgehog series very nearly began a second golden age. Sonic Heroes was positioned as the culmination of that era, as Sega capped off ...

I really hope we don't see a Monkey Ball Banana Blitz-style return of a poor game haha.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Please. I'm in the mood for some new Sonic games-- even ports of old ones.

Sidenote- I find it slightly distressing to see the uptick in Sonic Heroes port/sequel begging on Instagram and Twitter. it's not a good game. I rented and bought it out of desperation for a Sonic Adventure 3 back in the day, but even then I was frustrated with the broken level gimmicks, glitchy platforming and terrible "level-up" combat. I've revisited it in hopes that it would have aged better...it hasn't.

A lot of Sonic fan YouTubers have gone back to it over the years in hopes of finding something cool but the result is always the same and the person doing the video has to explain why the game, despite it's great presentation and soundtrack, is a really joyless experience overall.

Perfect example is GeekCritique who is a pretty big 3D Sonic apologist:
www.youtube.com

SONIC HEROES: The Icon's Decline | GEEK CRITIQUE

In 2003, the Sonic the Hedgehog series very nearly began a second golden age. Sonic Heroes was positioned as the culmination of that era, as Sega capped off ...

I really hope we don't see a Monkey Ball Banana Blitz-style return of a poor game haha.
Yeah I've really tried to like it because the style is so good, and on the earlier levels the mechanics work pretty well, but each level is worse than the one before. They had some cool ideas that probably could have worked out if they had more time to make it.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
The thing with Heroes is that it's a weird turning point in the series. It was I believe the best selling Sonic game ever, due to the fact that it was the first Sonic game to not just be ona SEGA System or Nintendo system, but on Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube, so it's the first game most people now in their late teens early 20's that they played.

And yes, it plays real rough, the PS2 version is especially, but does have some nice visuals and a pretty good soundtrack.

I've actually been playing Sonic Unleashed a bit this past week. When it came out I bought it, got real frustrated with it, and returned it, having not played it outside of the Project Unleashed Generations mods. I love Unleashed aethetically, but man, everything else is so rough. The stages in that game were made by masochists - a game made for kids where they put so many bloody spikes and trip traps and death pits in the way.

The lock on is on the same button as boost forward, causing numerous deaths, mazes of Quicktime button presses that are incredbly annoying. and just honestly Sonic's too bloody fast! Generations and Colors use the same framework but focused on FUN things to do. And The werehog levels are just an absolute chore.

If they were to "remake" that game, they'd have to
A) Cut daytime stage in half, and have them be separate levels. Cut Unleashed levels into 3 each. They're so bloody long.
B) Remove the majority of the spikes in stages and the trip points.
C) Add fences to pretty much every stage so you're not falling off them constantly.
D) Remove the XP system or at least flatten it.
E) Make Sun and Moon medals more of a bonus feature and not the thing that locks you away from actually completing the game.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to me to hear people say that Sonic Heroes has "good visuals" because I remember a lot of reviews of the era slamming it for still looking like a glorified Dreamcast game.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The environments in Sonic Heroes were great. The character models were atrocious since day 1 though.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
It's weird to me to hear people say that Sonic Heroes has "good visuals" because I remember a lot of reviews of the era slamming it for still looking like a glorified Dreamcast game.

It's a step down from SA1 & SA2 for sure, and the textureless models are real trash, but seems to find a nice middle ground between Classic and Modern eras. Because of that, and that Greeen Hill Zone's music costs them a bunch of money, it's probably why we see Seaside Hill in every side game.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I like the pacing and the A-B structure Heroes goes for more than the Adventure games. It's level to level, and that's how i likec it. I'd much rather play that than be forced to go back to terrible mech or treasure hunting stages after the speed levels are done.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Heroes suffers from Sega sucking at PS2 development tbh. Or multi-platform in general.

It had the right idea of what people wanted from Sonic games tbh. I'm not talking about Adventure fans. But rather PlayStation fans that had the Mega Drive/Genesis before, which were alot of people.

Aug 25, 2019
I feel like this is more of a problem starting with Sonic Colors. Colors and Forces are really, really, REALLY controlling about what they'll let you do when, and it fucking sucks. Sonic Generations does, too, to a lesser extent. There are invisible walls in some Sonic Generations stages in really weird places, just because they're too afraid you might accidentally kill yourself.

I will beat the drum of Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages until the day I die. They were the near-perfect boost Sonic gameplay and Sega seems to be afraid to go back to that.

oh so that is how you're supposed to play the game. hahahah. I will never be speedy sonic

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Heroes absolutely sucked and was a huge downgrade from Sonic Adventure 2. It both looked and played worse.

Not to be too dramatic, but I feel like the 3D games have never really recovered from whatever Heroes did to the handling of the characters. In comparison to the Adventure games, Sonic has been a slippery, twitchy, misery to control ever since.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say it is this, their multiplatform games just didn't have the same sheen or polish that their platform-exclusive games did. Even their dedicated PS2 games were pretty good imho (I love Shinobi)

yeah you could tell they struggled developing games for multiple platforms. it's just the PS2 releases suffered, see also Super Monkey Ball Deluxe.