• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it is this, their multiplatform games just didn't have the same sheen or polish that their platform-exclusive games did. Even their dedicated PS2 games were pretty good imho (I love Shinobi)
Yeah, or compared to the games they developed for Dreamcast. It feels like their pride and intense creativity took a big blow.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Heroes controlled like shit and had horrible shiny characters. Also coming off Adventure 2 the story tone shift was jarring as hell and not what I wanted at all. Had some good level themes though.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, or compared to the games they developed for Dreamcast. It feels like their pride and intense creativity took a big blow.

I imagine when you are no longer trying to drive the sales of your own platform, the need to swing for the fences that hard goes away pretty quickly

Though I will always remember an interview Official U.S. Dreamcast Magazine printed, where they interviewed the guy who directed Jet Set Radio. He told a story about how he was a huge Sega fan growing up, and always dreamed of working there, and when he was finally old enough to join up, he discovered the company was making lots of same-y feeling "anime-styled games" (maybe meaning games like Sakura Wars, Shining Force 3, or Shenmue, etc.)

He apparently pitched Jet Set Radio because he wanted to make a game that had the "classic Sega" energy he grew up with. Bright colors, devil-may-care attitude, fast action, etc.

But it does maybe suggest Sega had been cooling off for a while

Sonic Heroes controlled like shit and had horrible shiny characters. Also coming off Adventure 2 the story tone shift was jarring as hell and not what I wanted at all. Had some good level themes though.

Yeah. I don't particularly hate Sonic Heroes, but it's definitely the franchise slipping down another rung on the ladder of quality. The only reason people want another one is because it's a game they grew up with when they were younger and less discerning of quality. It really wasn't a very good game in the context of its era, and it hasn't aged that gracefully since then.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Heroes was okay

The fact that it forces future games to package characters into Speed/Flight/Power boxes is really stagnating the series though

Oct 25, 2017
Heroes almost irrecoverably knocked the wind out my sails on the Sonic franchise after the high points that were SA1 and 2.

Cheap, sloppy and bloated best described it to me at the time, especially having played the PS2 version.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Heroes was the first (mainline one anyways) to be considered "bad", wasn't it?

I mean, before anyone says that they didn't like the Sonic Adventures when they came out or whatever, those games were still generally well received by reviewers at the time, hence why they have high 80s on Metacritic (for their original Dreamcast releases, anyways). Sonic Heroes on the other hand was blasted right on the spot lol

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Given that the virus got the movie released super early, IDW is going on hiatus, and SOJ has been announcing all of the merch as of late, at this point, all they have left to cover during this thing is a new game and a new animation. There's not much else they're holding back besides that.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
i will never in a million years expect sega to do what mario is rumored to be doing
not to mention they cant even rerelease sonic 3

Sega has done more than enough Sonic re-releases that it's mostly lost its appeal, at this point. And likely will remain that way, until we finally get a re-release that includes Sonic 3&K, again, at the least.

But in any case, I'll make it "easy": If Sega/Sonic Pillar could actually knock it out the park with a quality remake of Sonic Adventure, that would go a long way, I'd think. Especially since Adventure-era nostalgia is pretty dang high, at the moment, and waiting to be capitalized on.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Sega needs to do more PC ports for Sonic games. Heroes, Unleashed, and Colors all need PC versions. Heck, even Shadow and 06, why not? Embrace your mistakes and learn.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
When are we getting some news again? I keep hearing April 4th but that doesn't sound right lol.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I stuck through Shadow, 06, Secret Rings, Lost World, and Forces. But I'm just about done with the franchise.

Imo, Mania showed exactly what needs to be done with Sonic. I understand that it would have taken a ton of resources, but had that game been repurposed into a 3D title it would have been the best Sonic game over the last 2 generations. Like, even the plot was better. They could have taken those exact same robot boss designs.

I really hope that the next mainline title takes a more lighthearted tone with a larger variety in environments (not just cities!). Shit, the Puyo Puyo boss in Mania has more creativity than anything Sonic Team has come up with in over a decade. I want that energy injected into the franchise.

Serously, imagine if this moment was in a AAA 3D Sonic game:

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I stuck through Shadow, 06, Secret Rings, Lost World, and Forces. But I'm just about done with the franchise.

Imo, Mania showed exactly what needs to be done with Sonic. I understand that it would have taken a ton of resources, but had that game been repurposed into a 3D title it would have been the best Sonic game over the last 2 generations. Like, even the plot was better. They could have taken those exact same robot boss designs.

I really hope that the next mainline title takes a more lighthearted tone with a larger variety in environments (not just cities!). Shit, the Puyo Puyo boss in Mania has more creativity than anything Sonic Team has come up with in over a decade. I want that energy injected into the franchise.

The advantage that Mania had was that it was, in a nutshell, a reintroduction and refining of what already "worked" for Sonic before, and in 2D. So, in that light, taking a chance and introducing some neat throwbacks here and there is fine, because the foundation is already solid.

Whereas the historical problem with 3D Sonic was that the devs kept trying to reinvent Sonic each time, and also introduce new mechanics, on top. Until 3D Sonic has that "solid foundation", too, do we really want them to fool around with such things?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's really unfortunate that Sega's partnership with Olive Garden fell through after all they did to promote them in the Sonic the Hedgehog movie. I guess Square Enix had deeper pockets

make a sonic fighting game
There are two official ones and at least one good fanmade one

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It's really unfortunate that Sega's partnership with Olive Garden fell through after all they did to promote them in the Sonic the Hedgehog movie. I guess Square Enix had deeper pockets

There are two official ones and at least one good fanmade one

Make another one

Make one like the fan made one where its like marvel and the chaos emeralds are infinity stones

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
What are y'all thinking will be in this stream thing with how everything is now?

For me, just two things, since nothing else seems viable right now:

-A game announcement, 2021 release.
-A new short from Tyson Hesse.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
What are y'all thinking will be in this streaming thing with how everything is now?

Just a small tease of the new game, like they did with Forces at first. I hope I´m wrong.

Something about the movie, maybe? And something minor, like new characters on the mobile game (Runners?).

Really just having low expectations, I just can´t trust SEGA.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
What are y'all thinking will be in this stream thing with how everything is now?

Sonic Adventure remake teaser trailer. No gameplay. 2021.

Sonic Adventure animation by Tyson Hesse.

Sonic at the 2020 2021 Olympic Games trailer.

Memes. Lots of memes. Maybe too many, we'll see how much restraint Aaron Webber has.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017

Do you think they will re-release certain 3D Sonic games (namely the well received stuff like the Adventure games, Generations, and Colors) on Switch, PS4, and maybe some on Xbox One/PC (for stuff not available for backwards compat on Xbox and PC)?

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Just a small tease of the new game, like they did with Forces at first. I hope I´m wrong.

Something about the movie, maybe? And something minor, like new characters on the mobile game (Runners?).

Really just having low expectations, I just can´t trust SEGA.

I don't know what else there is to talk about with the movie. It's out already, the only question now is if it will get theatrical releases in China and Japan.

Having low expectations is smart, though.

Do you think they will re-release certain 3D Sonic games (namely the well received stuff like the Adventure games, Generations, and Colors) on Switch, PS4, and maybe some on Xbox One/PC (for stuff not available for backwards compat on Xbox and PC)?

It's possible. If there is an Adventure remake coming, then i don't see them releasing the original, but ports of other stuff is possible. I'd like a collection, personally.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The advantage that Mania had was that it was, in a nutshell, a reintroduction and refining of what already "worked" for Sonic before, and in 2D. So, in that light, taking a chance and introducing some neat throwbacks here and there is fine, because the foundation is already solid.

Whereas the historical problem with 3D Sonic was that the devs kept trying to reinvent Sonic each time, and also introduce new mechanics, on top. Until 3D Sonic has that "solid foundation", too, do we really want them to fool around with such things?
They need to stop that.

I'll say this:

Take SA1/2 or Colors/Generations style gameplay, improve it level design+responsiveness+animation wise, and infuse it with what we saw in Mania. That would be the best Sonic game in forever.

I think the issue is starting to become a lack of resources. Sonic has finally hit a point where Sega can't put a AAA budget behind each mainline title. But that just makes the problem worse!

Imagine if Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon, or Press Garden were created for, and introduced in a 3D Sonic game that actually controlled well.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
I don't know what else there is to talk about with the movie. It's out already, the only question now is if it will get theatrical releases in China and Japan.

Having low expectations is smart, though.

It's possible. If there is an Adventure remake coming, then i don't see them releasing the original, but ports of other stuff is possible. I'd like a collection, personally.

The last stream they spend some minutes with Sonic Forces, probably because it was the free game on the PSN. However, it felt... unnecessary. That´s why I believe they are going to speak about the movie (at least a few minutes), how well received it was and yard, yard, yara...

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

What can I say? Even if such doesn't plan out, I like to dream~!

Main game announcement. Sonic Adventure remake. Remake aims to be a bit more ambitious than a simple remaster, because it'll add elements and firmly establish Sonic's world and history. Ian Flynn is on-board for helping with the game's script, which I honestly think would make sense, considering he's been pretty coy about things "he can't talk about" on Bumblekast the last few months.

Side game announcement. Could be anything ranging from another throwaway spin-off, to something more profound like an ambitious remaster of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, handled by Headcannon and Taxman, with the OST remastered/remade by Tee Lopes.

New animation from Hesse. Ties into the Adventure remake, as well, being a prologue. Will be a bit longer than Hesse's usual fair, due it to being more like an OVA than just a short.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I see lots of people these days thinking an Adventure remake is in the cards. Do we have indications for this?

I'd totally be down for it.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I tried to come up with the maximum stupid over the top unrealistic one I could. Surprisingly it feels a bit tame still somehow, but maybe I'm just tired lol

---

1. Sonic Adventure Saga -- full remake of Adventure 1 and 2, separate games but one package. Full ground up. Summer 2021

2. Sonic Mania 2 (not called this) -- entirely original 2D thing. This fall.

3. They shotgun the announcement of a Sonic movie sequel. No date, just a logo, since the virus will undoubtedly push it back. But they're doing it. Logo is the same as the first movie but altered to somehow include Tails

4. Sonic Boost Collection: Unleashed, Colors and Generations, uprezzed and prettied up a bit. Unleashed has side mode where you can play just the daytime stuff. January 2021.

5. at the end, they pretend they're wrapping, and then as the show is ending, the conclusion is interrupted by a cut in, which is a 15 second teaser for Adventure 3. No date, but make it clear it'll be a while after the collections.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
A Sonic Adventure remake would go a long way to making my year.

I see lots of people these days thinking an Adventure remake is in the cards. Do we have indications for this?

I'd totally be down for it.
-Popular
-At the right age for nostalgia to be at its ripest
-Is pretty dated so it could use the touch-up
-Would sell

That's a pretty good concoction for a remake, I'd say.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
-Popular
-At the right age for nostalgia to be at its ripest
-Is pretty dated so it could use the touch-up
-Would sell

Also add:

- Iizuka is aware of the fan requests and even has suggested that he'd go back to Adventure, after Forces
- Especially after Forces, an Adventure remake (or sequel?) would be a move to try and recapture some much needed goodwill for 3D Sonic
- The recent short, "Chao in Space", is a direct callback to a "movie series" that was advertised in the universe of the 3D Sonic games, beginning with Adventure

I guess you can also add that Sonic X was re-airing in Japan recently, in order to help "prep" audiences for the new movie. Given how much Sonic X directly cites the Adventure games for arcs in the show, maybe that was just yet another means to familiarize Japanese fans with the gist of what the Adventure games are about.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
What can I say? Even if such doesn't plan out, I like to dream~!

Main game announcement. Sonic Adventure remake. Remake aims to be a bit more ambitious than a simple remaster, because it'll add elements and firmly establish Sonic's world and history. Ian Flynn is on-board for helping with the game's script, which I honestly think would make sense, considering he's been pretty coy about things "he can't talk about" on Bumblekast the last few months.

Side game announcement. Could be anything ranging from another throwaway spin-off, to something more profound like an ambitious remaster of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, handled by Headcannon and Taxman, with the OST remastered/remade by Tee Lopes.

New animation from Hesse. Ties into the Adventure remake, as well, being a prologue. Will be a bit longer than Hesse's usual fair, due it to being more like an OVA than just a short.

Would be incredible and a best case scenario.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There is a solid foundation, 2 even (though one works better than others), but they had to fuck it up by not expanding on them well. There's always something in the way, whether it's some kind of gimmick or simply no budget

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
What I want:
Ports/remasters for this year while they continue working on the anniversary game

What I expect:
A ton of merch, news on animated shorts, tiny teaser for next year's game

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
It's been about 5 or so years that they set up the new Sega of America office for Sonic, and aside from Mania they don't have much to show for it....

Compare that to how well the new Atlus USA/SoA side is doing.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It's been about 5 or so years that they set up the new Sega of America office for Sonic, and aside from Mania they don't have much to show for it....

Compare that to how well the new Atlus USA/SoA side is doing.

Eh, not really. Mania was being conceptualized while that restructuring was happening. The next game will be the very first game coming from Sonic Pillar in LA.