• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Unpopular opinion time

I have tried to get into the Chao Garden in Sonic Adventure 2 many times

I don't get the appeal

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Boom is weird because from the games and the info that was given out that world was supposed to be a lot deeper and have lore. The games were just as games, unfun. Particularly ROL. And due to that failure and the comics the whole thing kinda just shut down. While I don't think boom was perfect, it had neat ideas.

Also as far as comic characters go, give up on that. If they didn't make them, they ain't using em. Heck, in the case of sticks , even if they did make them. But they weren't able to define who they are, they aren't using em
Forces would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce Sally, Bunnie, Rotor and Antoine into the games' canon if it was something they were actually interested in doing. They were clearly not. C'est la vie.

The SW prequel point is an interesting analogy because like the prequel films, the Adventure games have seen a strong wave of nostalgia in the last few years. Hence I think Sega's best move would be Mania 2 (with either all original levels, or a heavier slant towards new ones - like eight new zones and four remakes, the inverse of Mania) and Adventure 1 remake. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Adventure formula and I think in many ways it's the closest Sonic Team has ever come to nailing the 2D Sonic gameplay in 3D. Work on polishing up the basics and build from there.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'm pretty sure most would be happy with Sonic Mania 2 just having all new levels with new twists and tropes and adding Amy to the cast.
This

All 5 from Mania Plus + Amy, all new levels, and a few new gimmicks (maybe new elemental shields?) would be plenty. They don't need to reinvent the wheel when said wheel isn't even being used right now.
This may be true, but I honestly hope Evening Star is allowed to be a bit more ambitious than just meeting the base expectations of "Amy and all new levels". By the time Mania's successor arrives, the "Mega Man 9 effect" would've had long since had an opportunity to wear off. Consumers and reviewers alike are going to be a bit more critical this time to see if there's something worth coming back for more.

If any time is present to also reevaluate and reinvent things for 2D Sonic platforming action, as well, there's no time like the present! Gimme a world map, levels with multiple and/or character specific exits, multiple things to seek out in levels, if I want that 100% clear on my save file. And don't be afraid to kick my ass and expect a certain level of competency with regard to my understanding of 2D Sonic gameplay.

After 1994, there was a time where I hoped that Sonic would really start aiming for DK's neck. It may be more than 20 years later, but I'd be all for that "fight" resuming, and giving us a Sonic game that more than gives the likes of Tropical Freeze decent competition.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
those have actual in-game benefits though, which means there are reasons to do those things

chao gardens do nothing but gatekeep content
I remember way back playing in the garden when I was young and it just hit me suddenly, I was just like "WTF am I even doing? This has nothing to do with why I played the original Sonic titles on the previous Sega consoles... In fact these 3D games actually kinda suck in comparison..."

Sold the adventure titles and slowly watched the series's downfall with only the occasional rent just to see the horror myself before youtube became real big on game content. Only titles I bought were advance and colors since then.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds 1001% fake, just like everything else on that subreddit. But one thing from that "rumor" that makes me think though, if Sonic jumps to next gen (and Switch), would that mean the only current gen 3D Sonic game is Forces? Because that seems pretty wild, between Wii and PS3/Xbox 360 last gen it felt like we got a decent run of Sonic games over the years.
Then again, not sure how the Wii U would be classified in all of this, that obviously got a couple as well.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was just about to detonate this thread with a bunch of pics of best girl but hearing a leak about a blaze the cat game, however false has put me in a good mood.

Though to be honest I'd rather just have sonic rush 3 with switch Tate mode support, ala down elk.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Mania's "Taxman" was offered a promotion by SEGA to work on a 3-D title. Taxman is the lead director on Blaze the Cat with Takashi Iizuka as producer. Development would be quicker if it was done on one piece of hardware, and Sonic Rush & Sonic Rush Adventure were already exclusives on the Nintendo DS.
LMAO!

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun read, 99.99999% chance of being fake

Though the next Sonic game being inexplicably next-gen only would not surprise me, just disappoint
So going by this rumor, Christian Whitehead left the studio he recently co-founded to get a promotion at Sega (which pretty sure he's never been an employee of) to work on a Blaze the Cat game.

Sounds legit.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
You can tell this is fake because Sonic Team would never make a Blaze the Cat game, especially one that is absent of Silver.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Geez, just say they're making Tangle & Whisper while you're making up wish fulfillment scenarios.
I would say that with the recent shift of IP power to SoA that a Tangle & Whisper game actually does have a nonzero chance of existing.

Not like, a realistic chance, but probably better than Blaze game.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I would say that with the recent shift of IP power to SoA that a Tangle & Whisper game actually does have a nonzero chance of existing.

Not like, a realistic chance, but probably better than Blaze game.
I mean, Amy and Charmy originated in a manga, anything's possible.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as lore goes, i like when world building is more implicit than explicit. The world of adventure time is build upon the ruins of a post apocalyptic earth. You see this with cars, some bombed out homes, and even skeletons. But rarely is it ever acknowledged. I love mario odyssey and galaxy because it implies that some characters and locations have a deeper history than most would in a mario game. Like the notes in the ruined kingdom for instance where they discuss that a great civilization once lived their before they messed with forces beyond their control, or rosalinas story book from galaxy which tells you about her tragic back story. Id like sonic to have stuff like this, imply that their may be a great all powerful force out their, no need to dwell on it.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
As far as lore goes, i like when world building is more implicit than explicit. The world of adventure time is build upon the ruins of a post apocalyptic earth. You see this with cars, some bombed out homes, and even skeletons. But rarely is it ever acknowledged. I love mario odyssey and galaxy because it implies that some characters and locations have a deeper history than most would in a mario game. Like the notes in the ruined kingdom for instance where they discuss that a great civilization once lived their before they messed with forces beyond their control, or rosalinas story book from galaxy which tells you about her tragic back story. Id like sonic to have stuff like this, imply that their may be a great all powerful force out their, no need to dwell on it.
Funny enough, that's a hallmark of the 16-bit era of Sonic's life, especially within the Japanese manuals. In the manuals, you'd get wild backstories of greedy civilizations getting wiped, kami being the reason for such things, and Chaos Emeralds being at the center of such. 3&K had shades of in-game storytelling with the murals on walls in Hidden Palace that outlined Sonic's place in a prophecy.

I wouldn't mind at all if the new "Sonic Pillar" wanted to go back to that type of storytelling, instead of acting like kids are idiots and need everything spelled out with long winded exposition.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega Japan announced a "Sonic Station Live" broadcast for February 20th:
Sega will host the first in a monthly series of "Sonic Station Live!" broadcasts on February 20 at 18:00 JST, the company announced. You will be able to watch it on YouTube.

The live stream will feature introductions to everything from Sonic the Hedgehog game topics to the latest apparel and goods.
www.gematsu.com

‘Sonic Station Live!’ broadcast set for February 20

Sega will host the first in a monthly series of “Sonic Station Live!” broadcasts on February 20 at 18:00 JST, the company announced. You will be able to watch it on YouTube.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Hope it's something cool. This is their chance to capitalize on the success of the movie.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Like others, I'm not expecting too, too much. Gotta wait for SWSX for the good stuff.
Yeah. I expect SXSW to be the big event of the yeer. Of course, they'll be celebrating the success of the movie there also.
Now would be a good time for a remaster of Colors or Unleashed for current platforms while Sonic Team takes their time with the next mainline game.

That would be nice. Even though Unleashed is not a very good game.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Just put out some rereleases while we wait for the new stuff. People would eat up an Unleashed/Colors/Generations collection. Even something simple as Adventure 1 and 2 on Switch would be cool.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Yeah. I expect SXSW to be the big event of the yeer. Of course, they'll be celebrating the success of the movie there also.

That would be nice. Even though Unleashed is not a very good game.

Sonic Unleashed remake without night stages! Best selling game of the franchise since... well, Sonic 1? Not sure what´s the best selling Sonic game.