• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Do people expect much from SXSW? Iizuka has talked about 2021 for a while now, so I wonder if it's too early. I don't see a Mania sequel happening anytime soon with Whitehead just starting Evening Star and working on Freedom Planet 2.

I think they're probably only going to show a short teaser, if anything. Any bigger news will probably drop on June, since it's Sonic's birthday month.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Anyone who knows my posting habits knows my decision already.

If we're talking exclusively about the Dreamcast original I played in '99? I just might be inclined to say "yes".

Mostly stable frame rate, I don't really dread playing any character's sections (Big's are just a waste of time, and Knuckles' treasure hunting is much better done here than in the sequel) and the game, at the time, felt like a decent continuation of 2D Sonic in the 3D realm.

It's still the only 3D Sonic game I ended really liking, to this day.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia plays a heavy part in Adventure 1 for me - because I love the soundtrack, it was one of three games I got with my DC and, for some weird reason I really liked the adventure sections outside of levels (I liked how the expedition plot was told through these sections throughout the different character stories),

That said, I still really like quite a lot of the level design in the game - Gamma was a fun diversion, Sonic had a nice set of levels that were very replayable, Tails racec levels were definitely fun, Knuckles levels were fine, likewise with Amy. Only Big's were a miss for me.
Other than getting a more solid frame rate, an sprucing up the graphics I can't really think of many things I'd want changed in an Adventure remake. Better camera I suppose, the original was certainly wild sometimes.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
More and more companies/artists are pulling out of SXSW. Sonic movie is delayed indefinitely in Japan.

SEGA might just do the announcements on social media at this point. A much safer option. I'd expect an official statement soon.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
More and more companies/artists are pulling out of SXSW. Sonic movie is delayed indefinitely in Japan.

SEGA might just do the announcements on social media at this point. A much safer option. I'd expect an official statement soon.
If only there was a video stream for sonic that also occurs on 20th March the same day as their SXSW event that they can announce their new sonic news there, wouldn't that be convenient? hmmmmm....

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
If only there was a video stream for sonic that also occurs on 20th March the same day as their SXSW event that they can announce their new sonic news there, wouldn't that be convenient? hmmmmm....

I would assume that will just be the Japanese version of stuff they'll be announcing at the panel, anyway.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume that will just be the Japanese version of stuff they'll be announcing at the panel, anyway.
Yeah that's what i thought initially, that it would be basically recap for Japanese audience. it's just funny that now there is some possibility, no matter how small it is, that it can be announced there first if they didn't plan anything else to replace their SXSW event, maybe they can rework it a bit and add English translation and basically make this month an "international" stream or something? we would know soon enough after 2 weeks

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017

Anyone who knows my posting habits knows my decision already.

At the time it released I was tolerant of its jank because it was a launch game on the DC. But when Adventure 2 hit I was way less forgiving. The games are more on the side of bad than good I'd argue. They forever splintered the appeal of the Sonic games for me which was only restored once Mania released.

The Adventure games are shit pretty much all around. I'm not sure how anyone could say they were/are classics.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah that's what i thought initially, that it would be basically recap for Japanese audience. it's just funny that now there is some possibility, no matter how small it is, that it can be announced there first if they didn't plan anything else to replace their SXSW event, maybe they can rework it a bit and add English translation and basically make this month an "international" stream or something? we would know soon enough after 2 weeks

Nah. I doubt they would ever announce anything there, consudering how their first stream was two just tmployees in a small room just talking, that's far too small.

If the panel isn't happening, i think they'll just do teases/"save the date" on Twitter/Instagram and whanot for all they'll have to announce. They're having to scramble here, I imagine.

Oct 25, 2017
If the new Sonic game is anything less than a AAA title targeting next gen platforms, they've failed.

No more boost rehash, no more budget shit held back by Switch hardware. This new title needs to treat Sonic like the face of the company he is.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah unfortunately I think it's safe to say that Sega of Japan hardly gives a shit about Sonic, considering how unpopular it is in their home country. That's probably why the IP will never get the budget/respect it deserves.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
If the new Sonic game is anything less than a AAA title targeting next gen platforms, they've failed.

No more boost rehash, no more budget shit held back by Switch hardware. This new title needs to treat Sonic like the face of the company he is.

I kinda feel like Sonic hasn't been the face of Sega (J) for some time now.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic is still front and center even on Japanese Sega materials. Like the twitter account, or their various JP websites. It's more of a symbol I guess, much like Pacman.

I still give them the benefit of the doubt, because they still invested in a whole dedicated seperate Sega of America office for Sonic, when they could have done less.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

How would the switch whole it back when the best 3d games have been on weak Nintendo platforms?

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
3D Sonic already doesn't sell as well as it used too, so focusing on next-gen only this early feels like it would be a mistake.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
3D Sonic already doesn't sell as well as it used too, so focusing on next-gen only this early feels like it would be a mistake.

Cross-gen would still be good. Having a quality platformer that is a Sonic game, avaible during the next gen consoles launch window would do a lot of good for the brand.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cross-gen would still be good. Having a quality platformer that is a Sonic game, avaible during the next gen consoles launch window would do a lot of good for the brand.
indeed. they need a good game before talking about pushing graphical boundaries.

and now I have to go listen to the Sonic Colors OST again

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, this event's going to be on 4/20 isn't it? Revenge of Chronic
40962c63a9a822f8db15bdaca1e77b7f044d041e.png

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

heuhuehuehue, the sonic games sell better on nintendo hardware, they're not going to ignore it unless they want it to fail even more

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm worried that Sega actually is stupid enough to try to make the next Sonic game next-gen only

We'll see

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
my fanfiction:

2 new games get announced.

A Sonic Adventure Mania by the Sonic Team in Japan. Much like FF7R it expands the scope of the original game, and puts expectations on it's head, fully featuring what IIzuka wanted to do with the original game. An actual big game in scope that actually is full price on release and releases on everything including the new consoles this holiday.

A new 2D game that is entirely original by Evening Star, featuring a brand new artstyle in the style Tyson Hesses animation.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, if nothing else sega would be insane to not be planning a switch version of whatever they're cooking, so a current gen PS4/xbone version should be totally possible no matter what.

They're not going to make a sonic game where there isn't a version on Nintendo hardware, lol. They even went to the point when the hardware wasn't up to snuff to make entirely separate games with the same title for Nintendo hardware with unleashed and generations. When was the last time that actually happened, sonic 06? And hardware being much more demanding nowadays means they'll just make one version and demographics totally mean the switch version will probably be the most successful one.