• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
During a recent Sega Management Meeting they spoke about their strategies for the Yakuza series and other Sega titles such as Sonic and Total War the last few years and plans for the future. This included the fun fact that sales started to dramatically increase in 2019 and show no sign of slowing down. Sega believe the main reason for this is their new multi platform approach and confirm that the Yakuza series has sold 2.8 million units on PC.

"Due to the expansion of reach to users, as we started the support of PC platform with this series from FY2019/3, we recorded quite strong sales result with unit sales of approximately 2.80 million units worldwide."

Just for reference, the Yakuza games released on PC are: Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, Yakuza 5, Yakuza 6 and Yakuza: Like A Dragon.

The Spin-offs Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan!, Yakuza: Dead Souls, Ryū ga Gotoku Ishin! aren't on PC as of yet at least.

Source: todojojo.com article at r/PCGaming

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Makes sense why Sega wants all their games to be worldwide, multi-platform at launch. Let's see if Atlus listens to them.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I played through all the games on PC last year, and I'm ready for more. I'll be day one for new RGG games now on Steam

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the sales figures include the humble monthly sales

Because 2.8 million across 8 titles with how cheap most of them were (and how deep they quickly got discounted to) doesn't sound like much

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
If that's Sega's company wide approach (which seems to be the case), then Atlus won't have much say in the matter I imagine.
www.pcgamer.com

Sega wants Atlus games to release ‘on multiple platforms’ going forward

Fingers crossed the next Persona comes to PC.

It kind of seems like Atlus is a bit disconnected from Sega. I've heard some people mention that Atlus with Sega is kind of Mojang with Microsoft, where they are pretty independent.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Because 2.8 million across 8 titles with how cheap most of them were (and how deep they quickly got discounted to) doesn't sound like much

Well considering most were years old on release and the porting might have not been too costly, Sega seem happy with it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

That'd make an average of 350k units. I don't see where it's not that much, considering the serie it is. Not to mention in fact, the split might be more favorable toward higher profile titles such as 0, 6 and 7.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
www.pcgamer.com

Sega wants Atlus games to release ‘on multiple platforms’ going forward

Fingers crossed the next Persona comes to PC.

It kind of seems like Atlus is a bit disconnected from Sega. I've heard some people mention that Atlus with Sega is kind of Mojang with Microsoft, where they are pretty independent.
I think when it comes to development side of things, Atlus acts pretty independently but marketing and publishing wise, they seem to be a lot more involved with Sega. For instance Atlus helps with most if not all of the RGG studio games marketing and publishing duties as well as help them (and other Sega games) with localization.

Looking at SMTV's worldwide release and the leaked upcoming PC (and possibly PS4) port of that game, as well as Atlus just being more worldwide focused in terms of marketing for their games (Persona 25th videos all have official English subs for example), it does seem to indicate that they are also adhering to Sega's approach of marketing their games worldwide.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Give us Fist of the North Star already. But nice to hear anyway, I bought all of them.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018

I admit I bought it when it was deeply discounted. It's still discounted on steam atm. Bought it last week

6 full length games for $80 I think. Seemed like a bargain to me, so I went for it.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Looking at SMTV's worldwide release and the leaked upcoming PC (and possibly PS4) port of that game, as well as Atlus just being more worldwide focused in terms of marketing for their games (Persona 25th videos all have official English subs for example), it does seem to indicate that they are also adhering to Sega's approach of marketing their games worldwide.
Yeah I definitely think Sega is influencing some decisions at Atlus. I just don't think Sega has really forced them to do anything like they could with RGG and Yakuza.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see the series succeed on PC. I got Y0 on PS4 in 2017 but didn't finish it. Ended up double dipping on the PC release and beat it there and loved it. Still need to play the others (already bought Kiwami and Kiwami 2).

And yeah talk to Atlus
Give us Fist of the North Star already. But nice to hear anyway, I bought all of them.
Lol I gave up on that one and got the PS4 version on sale recently. Though maybe a PC port will somehow happen before I get to it.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Very good to hear

0wlkgOf.gif

I've played Y0 when it came out on steam and loved it so I bought and played every Yakuza game on PC and I man love the series, especially 0 and 7 aka Like a Dragon.

ps. AshenOne in your first quote the last sentence says " Yakuza series has not sold 2.8 million units on PC."

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Do we have any sales numbers for their PS4 outings?

"Quite good" makes it sound like they were expecting more, but it's such a niche series that it's pretty much where I expected if not better.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

In the context of these games being old releases especially the latter yakuzas, I think the sales aren't that bad at least. Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1 and 2 were released after a year of each release on PC while the others took their sweet time in coming to PC, after 2 years of Kiwami 2's release on the platform.

Afaik aside from Yakuza 0 the other games aren't that deeply discounted on STEAM either after their release and they still have their tails during sales.

Can't speak for Yakuza Like a Dragon though.. Iam not sure how much that game did..

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
still have yet to play any of the yakuza games but ive been hearing nothing but good things about them. so good for you sega, good for you

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
That'd make an average of 350k units. I don't see where it's not that much, considering the serie it is. Not to mention in fact, the split might be more favorable toward higher profile titles such as 0, 6 and 7.
7 was half price like a week after release.

The games were cheap and most of them (except 7 for now and 4-5 I guess?) part of humble bundles.

When you can buy 0-6 for about 60$ Total for games released in the past two years then that doesn't seem like much.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018

"Quite good" makes it sound like they were expecting more, but it's such a niche series that it's pretty much where I expected if not better.
As of 2020, Yakuza sold 14 million copies across all platforms it was available then. By 2018, it was 11 million.
Source: https://gamerant.com/yakuza-series-niche-sega-14-million-sales-milestone/

Having 2.8 million on PC alone since 2019 across 8 titles does not seem as high to me.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

The series has gone from ~7 million copies in June 2015 to over 17 million by March 2021 (though iirc, they included pachislot and other ancillary products in those numbers?), so they're decently chunky.

An average of ~350k per game on PC is awesome for a series that was happy to sell about 500k every entry in Asia before the worldwide resurgence.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
7 was half price like a week after release.

The games were cheap and most of them (except 7 for now and 4-5 I guess?) part of humble bundles.

When you can buy 0-6 for about 60$ Total for games released in the past two years then that doesn't seem like much.

I don't know where you found 7 half price a week after release.

Because according to prices history, it was at 50€ on Steam in January.

And for most key resellers it was much of the same, the exception being the US converted price from one or two stores. And even that wasn't half price.

I also don't think 6 was part of a bundle.

And no, those aren't 2 years old titles. The ports maybe, some of them are a decade old if not more.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If it sold 2.8M copies since 2019 in PC and it sold only 3M copies from 2018-2020 (14M - 11M) in all platforms, most of the copies sold in 2019-2021 were on PC.

It's at 17 millions as of October 2021. First Yakuza title released on PC in 2018 when the serie was at 11 millions. So yeah, that'd mean out of those 6 millions, nearly half were on PC.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As of 2020, Yakuza sold 14 million copies across all platforms it was available then. By 2018, it was 11 million.
Source: https://gamerant.com/yakuza-series-niche-sega-14-million-sales-milestone/

Having 2.8 million on PC alone since 2019 across 8 titles does not seem as high to me.
Series barely does 1mil per entry (and that was only in the PS2 glory days, and then more recently once the series started getting localised well). To get 3mil extra PC sales (though who knows how much each person paid for each of those) is far from bad. Its a nice extra avenue for the series to blossom, much like getting the games on Gamepass for Xbox users to give them a shot.

More the merrier really. The series is doing much better in recent years in no short order thanks to the excellent localisations and spreading their wings beyond Playstation. And hopefully it'll continue for years to come! Definitely beats the more gloomy days where the series werent being localised and sales on each successive entry were declining.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
That's a lot of sales - despite the series also being on Gamepass and therefore available for free.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
It's at 17 millions as of October 2021. First Yakuza title released on PC in 2018 when the serie was at 11 millions. So yeah, that'd mean out of those 6 millions, nearly half were on PC.
That's really good numbers then for PC. It's going to pay off long term for Sega as long as they keep doing day one releases.

Shame some other notable JP pubs aren't fully embracing day one PC strategy and getting all their back catalog on there. Now we need Judgment and Lost Judgment (hopium) and maybe the JP only spin-off games.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Lol I gave up on that one and got the PS4 version on sale recently. Though maybe a PC port will somehow happen before I get to it.
There is no chance for that one I think unfortunately so PS4 version is going to be it (licensing I suspect).

It's similar with Ishin, but mainly because it's really Japanese oriented so probably not worth porting unless they also do a localization. That's really too bad because Ishin is a pretty great game and set in an interesting time period.

And finally Judgement series isn't on PC due to some issues with Kimura's agency. It's asinine. Part of the reason the series is probably done and they will relaunch with different characters, IMO.

techraptor.net

Judgment PC Release and Sequel Canceled, Insider Says

The Judgment PC release and a third game in the franchise have been canceled according to a source speaking to Japan's Nikkan Taishu magazine.

Here is a sample article.

Anyway, glad to hear that Sega is happy about PC performance. Hopefully they will bake PC release into future game contracts so we won't have Judgement situation.

Oh, and yeah, if they can kick Atlus to do worldwide simultaneous releases that would be amazing. I don't see it happening but would be glad to be proven wrong! 😅

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Hopefully they will bake PC release into future game contracts so we won't have Judgement situation.
This is why I am not a huge fan of using big name actors or people in games. Stuff like this can make licensing nightmares long term. It's better to just make original characters.

In a perfect world, this shouldn't be an issue and actors should be totally ok and cool with gaming companies using their likeness with their permission.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I am not a huge fan of using big name actors or people in games. Stuff like this can make licensing nightmares long term. It's better to just make original characters.

In a perfect world, this shouldn't be an issue and actors should be totally ok and cool with gaming companies using their likeness with their permission.
There are loads of name actors in every Yakuza game. Just in Like a Dragon, Sawashiro was the great Shinichi Tsutsumi:

genki-why-dont-you-play-in-hell-ikegami-tsutsumi.gif

The situation with Kimura is just an anomaly.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
There are loads of name actors in every Yakuza game. Just in Like a Dragon, Sawashiro was the great Shinichi Tsutsumi:

genki-why-dont-you-play-in-hell-ikegami-tsutsumi.gif

The situation with Kimura is just an anomaly.
Oh wow TIL. I assumed Yakuza 0 was the only one that used real actors for characters. So I was wrong and it's a non issue then. When I think about it, I actually can't think of any games that got pulled or couldn't get rereleased due to an actor saying no. It's usually due to music

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

i can see where you are coming from but to put things into perpective, from what i read Valkyrie chronicles was ported by 4 people.

What iam trying toi say is that a small team can probably port the games to PC which means the investment to sell on PC is relatively low. And on PC you get get more money with deals like gamepass and humble monthly while keeping titles selling for a long time. While consoles usually don't play old games, PC keeps all the library "up to date"; which means that there should still be some revenue even after years; specially as new players join the franchise.

So I imagine from Sega's perpective Porting to PC is "free" money.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I remember when this was just a "Japanese GTA knockoff on the PS2" now it's multiplat and super popular. I'm very happy for the folks at RGG with their success with this franchise.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Remember when the series was like dead in the west? Yakuza 5 took 3 years to be released in english. Now it couldn't be healthier.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
This is why they want the Judgment games on PC too, and are willing to kill the subseries if they can't.