• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this deserved its own thread.

Snippets from the interview of Vice President of Sega with Famitsu:

DeepL Translation:
Interview with Sega Vice President: "Ryu ga Gotoku 7 was the most successful in the series because it was released on multiple platforms with no gap in between" and "We want to be aware of global expansion for Atlus titles".

From the website:
(Are you aiming for the Persona series to be released simultaneously worldwide? (Will you aim to release the Persona series and other titles at the same time?)

"Simultaneous worldwide release on multiple platforms will be a tailwind for titles. Of course we'll make adjustments for each title, but we'd like to be aware of global expansion for Atlus titles as well."

They also say that Y7 was the most successful Yakuza release globally thanks to the multi platform release of it and all versions (except PS5) releasing on the same day.

Dec 5, 2017
Wait releasing on more platforms means more people can buy a game?

giphy.gif

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's about time they come to their senses. Let's see if it actually happens.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
It's weird when Sega games come out multiplat and Atlus games are PS4 only. I wonder why they operate so differently.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hopefully this bears fruit in the near future. Also, Sega should crack down on Atlus' history of homophobia, transphobia, & misogyny. Hard to say if Hashino is the sole problem or not, but it should be addressed if Sega is gonna be more hands-on with Atlus.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 and SMT V multiplatform ports
please.

I don't even care for the series as much as others do on here but the more platform the games are on the better.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Lost Judgment being multiplat day one with a worldwide release & dubbed audio shows how much Sega has grown the Yakuza/Judgment brand - and its internal sales expectations, accordingly.

Makes all the sense in the world to take that approach to Persona.

Dec 23, 2017
I'm actually growing tired of Persona.

They have a wealth of IP's they could put on multiple platforms, like Dragon's Crown on PC. :v

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I would love to see Atlus shooting much more for multiplatform and simultaneously worldwide launches.

Persona especially, is becoming such a successful game, it's really Sega and Atlus just shooting themselves in the foot not to go for it.

Pretty much the entire Shin Megami and Persona series deserves to be brought to modern platforms and preserved. It's really encouraging that they've brought back Persona 4 and Nocturne, but I'd love to see them go further.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see Atlus shooting much more for multiplatform and simultaneously worldwide launches.

Persona especially, is becoming such a successful game, it's really Sega and Atlus just shooting themselves in the foot not to go for it.

Pretty much the entire Shin Megami and Persona series deserves to be brought to modern platforms and preserved. It's really encouraging that they've brought back Persona 4 and Nocturne, but I'd love to see them go further.

They still don't get it imo.

After the success of Persona 4 on PC they should've developed and released ports for PS4/5, One/SS/XSX and Switch asap. There's no reason that their catalogue titles aren't on nearly everything under the sun.

New titles should be releases everywhere day 1 outside of exclusive arrangements like every other 3rd party developer does.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017

After the success of Persona 4 on PC they should've developed and released ports for PS4/5, One/SS/XSX and Switch asap. There's no reason that their catalogue titles aren't on nearly everything under the sun.

New titles should be releases everywhere day 1 outside of exclusive arrangements like every other 3rd party developer does.
What they do this year will be telling, especially since it's Persona's 25th anniversary. We should have a better idea of their plans relatively soon.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Wait hold on you mean to tell me that they can make more money from ATLAS games if they stop operating like a company from the PS2 era? Wow.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Multiplat = PC
I expect all newer games (if they don't have exclusive contracts like SMTV) to be also on PC.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I don't believe this.
P5R or Catherine Full Body would be trivial to port seing how barebones the other ports are, and yet, they are not present.

They will never go PC and console simultaneous for big releases i think, makes no sense to them, it would mean abandoning double/triple dip.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lost Judgment being multiplat day one with a worldwide release & dubbed audio shows how much Sega has grown the Yakuza/Judgment brand - and its internal sales expectations, accordingly.

Makes all the sense in the world to take that approach to Persona.
I think the main reason Sega is being so aggressive with Yakuza internationally is because Japan alone isn't going to be able to carry the franchise by itself moving forward. Especially with Nagoshi's complete disinterest in bringing the series to Switch. Without that platform, the series needs an international audience to survive. It's going to be interesting to see if they actually apply this strategy to Atlus and their portfolio of software. Hopefully they do and their games don't stay on one system.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this ends up being true cause man Atlus are the worst with this stuff, they don't even try to hide the fact that they only start on the localization once the game is done unlike most other big studios nowadays.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

I agree, that's what it looks like from the outside.

I get the impression that Persona 5 is under some sort of exclusivity deal with Sony, but if it's not, it's confusing as to why it's not on Switch, PC, and Xbox yet.

The other impression that I've always gotten is that they've traditionally been quite a niche company, and in turn, tread very carefully and thoughtfully with thier releases. In this day and age though, Persona, and even Shin Megami aren't really niche (Persona definitely isn't). With Sega's backing, they need to step up and take more risks.

Sega should especially be pushing them. Atlus is such an amazing asset, and a proven success. Sega should be treating thier games like AAA products from a distribution and funding perspective in my opinion, but perhaps still enable them to fun some of the small, crazy, niche AA games.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I get the impression that Persona 5 is under some sort of exclusivity deal with Sony, but if it's not, it's confusing as to why it's not on Switch, PC, and Xbox yet.

It really isn't, Atlus are just like this in that they only make there games for one platform and never port to other systems. They let other devs do whatever they want when it comes to platforms for the spin off titles but Atlus has just always been like this.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
People are always asking "When is Atlus going multiplat" when it's clear from their history that their long term goal is "No plat"
I can see it now: Preview in Famitsu, reveal trailer at TGS, interviews etc.
"So when are you releasing the game?"
"Releasing it? Oh no, we're not doing that, instead we're doing something much better!"
"Huh?"
"We're releasing a limited edition artbook in select stores across Japan of which 5 contain a golden ticket. Golden ticket holders will be allowed to come down to Atlus HQ and watch us play the game through the window."
Naturally the artbook sells out in minutes.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
The global simultaneous release of SMT V seems to be an starting point. But I would like to know if this has come out from Atlus and Sega, or Nintendo.

I hope these words are serious and they are working on multiplatforming many previous Atlus titles. Releasing Persona 4 Golden in Switch, PS4 and Xbox very soon would be a clear signal that they have started working on it.

Persona 5 Strikers arrived to Switch and Steam as well, true, but that was imo a decision made by Koei-Tecmo than Atlus.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Atlus devs must feel gutted and betrayed by this move. Hope they find a way to move forward and accept this.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The global simultaneous release of SMT V seems to be an starting point. But I would like to know if this has come out from Atlus and Sega, or Nintendo.

Its Nintendo, they announced the Global release in 2017 - this would have never happened this early if this was up to Sega/Atlus alone.
The project got kickstarted the second Nintendo got involved and provided some assurances.