• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who's interested this guy did a english review of the PS3 version of the game.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
With many people asking how the game is, here's some impressions. Do know that I imported the PS3 version, played a few dozen hours but never finished the whole game.

Gameplay wise is your standard ARPG. Skills, normal attacks, combos, etc. Think a battle system similar to Tales of if they weren't in an arena.
One of the cool things they used to do is that, sometimes, an entire area would become a battle so you had to do through a lot of enemies while exploring. It was very fun scenario, but...

It completely killed the FPS in the PS3. I'm not one to complain about slowdown in most games except fighters, so it was bad. Ar no Surge on the Vita levels of bad.

Each weapon would double as an intrument and this ties to the story.

sET1xki.jpg

For example, the red guy has
a guitar that double as an axe
. I don't remember what the trumphet elf uses as a weapon. I think it was a staff.

The main issue with the game is story. Main character is insufferable. And I also have an unusual high tolerance for JRPG protagonists.
Most characters are tropey, but there are a few that surprised me after a while. The main story wasn't very interesting to the point I got and very, very dry in the japanese. They might be able to make it more interesting in the localization, the script certainly needs it.
They also pick some Persona-like elements where you go on dates or just hang around with your team.

It's not a bad game, but it often feels mediocre and it shows a lot of wasted potential. So keep your hype in check people.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
So how does this compare to its anime action JRPG contemporaries? As in Star Ocean 5 (which was seriously lackluster), and Tales of Bersersia (which I heard was one of the better ones of recent)? Does it suffer from the same problems, or do anything better?

Anyone played them all and can give me an idea?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Shining Force 3 is hands down gamings greatest forgotten Epic. A story spanning across 3 different games (Scenarios) with dozens of playable characters. Things you do in Scenario 1 (and 2) effect Scenario 2 and Scenario 3 resulting in extra and different playable characters and other things that add a ton of replayablity to the whole series. It's got one hell of an impressive story (again this was the freaking SATURN) and has several really great villains. It's a damn shame that hardly anyone has played it.
I actually bought a used Japanese Saturn ONLY to play Shining Force 3.
And... I'm not so much of a tactical player. It's just something else... loved it so much. I wish I could get a port of it (as much as possible playable on portable so I can play that sweet game everywhere).

It's a shame it never even got released "as it is" on a newer platform.

Oct 26, 2017
I want it to be like in I think Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction where you play music and the enemies start dancing. :P

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
Any word on who is doing the soundtrack yet? I have to admit it'd get me pretty teary eyed if they had Motoaki Takenouchi do it, or at least a Collab track.

It's Junpei Fujita, best known for his work on Sympogear, I think.
Also Suikoden Tierkreis. He has composed a few Shining games at this stage, but of course, none of them were localised.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's just a "JRPG" thing, but I see Breath of Fire, Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force, Valkyria Chronicles and the name compels me to think of Shining Force and Resonance of Fate. Looks a bit like a Tales game too, but I haven't actually played any of them.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In for Xbox One version although I also have PS4 and Switch.
Just want to show my support for Japanese games on Xbox platform.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
As a fan of the classic Shining games, I'm... quite interested?

I know this is nothing like the old strategy games I love so much, but this looks like a fun action rpg. The graphics are nice, the music is nice and the gameplay looks fun. I'll get it.

Also:

QZrJf4X.jpg

Iedevjq.jpg

^_^

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I actually bought a used Japanese Saturn ONLY to play Shining Force 3.
And... I'm not so much of a tactical player. It's just something else... loved it so much. I wish I could get a port of it (as much as possible playable on portable so I can play that sweet game everywhere).

It's a shame it never even got released "as it is" on a newer platform.
Yep same (although I bought a US Saturn and had a pro action replay to play imports) I think the way that the game tells it story is truly impressive. If the game had been pushed to Dreamcast I think it would've done a lot better. The game needs a graphical upgrade to be sure but it still looks pretty good for a Saturn game.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
When, uh...when did the Shining series become so...booby? Serious question from someone who hasn't played since Genesis days.

Japan has different taste compared to the west. Waifu pandering was meant to appeal to males, and Sega is fine with that. Western audiences are an after thought when it comes to aesthetics that appeal. Prioritize what the home market wants, foreign markets come later. To be fair, more recent Shining games haven't left Japan, so it comes to mind that visuals aren't exactly what your use to.

Personally I'm fine with Tony Taka's style, I just want gameplay to be engaging. From what I've seen, that might be hit and miss, but this port will attempt to fix things. If this game performs within expectation, maybe Sega will give some serious thought to what western fans want out of the franchise.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
As a fan of the classic Shining games, I'm... quite interested?

I know this is nothing like the old strategy games I love so much, but this looks like a fun action rpg. The graphics are nice, the music is nice and the gameplay looks fun. I'll get it.

Also:

QZrJf4X.jpg

Iedevjq.jpg

^_^
Hah, this comparison sold the game to me. Though you can see XB's advantage in quality. :P Gorgeous sight.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sega and M2 should just do a Shining Force Classic Collection for retro fans. Force I-III, CD, the GG trilogy, in the Darkness, the Holy Ark, Wisdom. Maybe throw in the Climax Stalkers series (LandStalker, Dark Savior, Time Stalkers) if they want to be really thorough.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
With many people asking how the game is, here's some impressions. Do know that I imported the PS3 version, played a few dozen hours but never finished the whole game.

Gameplay wise is your standard ARPG. Skills, normal attacks, combos, etc. Think a battle system similar to Tales of if they weren't in an arena.
One of the cool things they used to do is that, sometimes, an entire area would become a battle so you had to do through a lot of enemies while exploring. It was very fun scenario, but...

It completely killed the FPS in the PS3. I'm not one to complain about slowdown in most games except fighters, so it was bad. Ar no Surge on the Vita levels of bad.

Each weapon would double as an intrument and this ties to the story.

sET1xki.jpg

For example, the red guy has
a guitar that double as an axe
. I don't remember what the trumphet elf uses as a weapon. I think it was a staff.

The main issue with the game is story. Main character is insufferable. And I also have an unusual high tolerance for JRPG protagonists.
Most characters are tropey, but there are a few that surprised me after a while. The main story wasn't very interesting to the point I got and very, very dry in the japanese. They might be able to make it more interesting in the localization, the script certainly needs it.
They also pick some Persona-like elements where you go on dates or just hang around with your team.

It's not a bad game, but it often feels mediocre and it shows a lot of wasted potential. So keep your hype in check people.
This is what I figured. The gameplay video I watched looked like a bargain basement Tales ripoff. Hard pass.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I have to assume that is in Dolphin because Xenoblade doesn't look anywhere near that good normally lol. Maybe the N3DS version does, never played it so not sure.
Oh, ok. Never played it on the Wii, assumed it was that version. I can assure you that the N3DS version doesn't look anywhere near this good, hehe. Couldn't finish the game on there because of the low resolution and muddy visuals.

At least it's no shame for Shining Resonance to lose to an emulated Xenoblade in comparison.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This is cool. I know the modern "Shining" games have a bad rep but I will give this a try.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Sega and M2 should just do a Shining Force Classic Collection for retro fans. Force I-III, CD, the GG trilogy, in the Darkness, the Holy Ark, Wisdom. Maybe throw in the Climax Stalkers series (LandStalker, Dark Savior, Time Stalkers) if they want to be really thorough.
Wisdom wasn't a very good game so no problem if they forget it.

But Holy Ark's story is related to Shining Force 3's one, so they can't not put it in such a collection.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Yep same (although I bought a US Saturn and had a pro action replay to play imports) I think the way that the game tells it story is truly impressive. If the game had been pushed to Dreamcast I think it would've done a lot better. The game needs a graphical upgrade to be sure but it still looks pretty good for a Saturn game.
And dat Sakuraba...

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
M2 would love this, and it's something they'd do better than anyone else. I'm just concerned that the current Shining producers would go out of their way to prevent it from getting the greenlight, or even force Yousuke Okunari out of SEGA or into a window seat if he refuses to go down without a fight. The latter would hurt the company so much in the long run. I think Okunari would chip away at the proposal for a while before committing since he's M2's top contact at SEGA.

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.twitch.tv/sega

Sega are streaming the game and they said that the Switch version should be similar to the other versions and if I heard correctly, the Switch version is 1080p docked, they're just working on optimizations so they weren't able to confirm the framerate yet.

Edit: They answered my developer question. Sounds like O-TWO is on the PC version as was shown, while Media.Vision is on the console version. I assume O-TWO only assisted in the PS4 version as shown on their website, so they likely have a supportive role on Switch and XBO, but are the main team behind the PC version if I'm understanding correctly.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sega are streaming the game and they said that the Switch version should be similar to the other versions and if I heard correctly, the Switch version is 1080p docked, they're just working on optimizations so they weren't able to confirm the framerate yet.

Thanks for posting. I saw that they just answered your question on developers too. First Media.Vision game on a Nintendo platform since Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo on Wii?

EDIT: Whoops, just corrected in the chat.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That reminds me that I still need to play through my copy of timestalkers, wonder is it'll win this weeks work on vote from my Dreamcast playthrough

Edit: They answered my developer question. Sounds like O-TWO is on the PC version as was shown, while Media.Vision is on the console version. I assume O-TWO only assisted in the PS4 version as shown on their website, so they likely have a supportive role on Switch and XBO, but are the main team behind the PC version if I'm understanding correctly.
Hunh, well I'm still interested, I like action rpgs from time to time

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for posting. I saw that they just answered your question on developers too. First Media.Vision game on a Nintendo platform since Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo on Wii?

EDIT: Whoops, just corrected in the chat.

Ah yes, just saw Sam's comment, it is "O2" on the "multiplatform port". So yeah, as we thought, O-TWO is behind all versions of Refrain.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard the words Waifu and Moe on this stream. What on Earth?

Also someone just donated £70 to Sega....

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It looks like a ok JRPG.

The typical one that I would buy discount without any expectation and in the end I would have a good time with him.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017

Do companies accept donations like that....hmmm

Also Sega of America is being pretty self aware all the time (quote from the stream: how anime is this game from 1 to 10? 10)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do companies accept donations like that....hmmm

Also Sega of America is being pretty self aware all the time (quote from the stream: how anime is this game from 1 to 10? 10)

Someone commented later that they might not have actually donated.

They also directly compared it to Tales when someone asked if it's like FF.

Jan 11, 2018
Has a physical release for Europe been confirmed? It always worries me when these announcements only come with North American box arts.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Well... yeah, Waifu err... Fire Emblem wasnt the first Strategy RPG to go this route unfortunately.

lol, I just joking. But I am dissapointed we wont be getting shining games like we used to. While I love Fire Emblem, competition would have made things more fun.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
If this game bombs and gets a price discount like Valkyria, I'll probably get it (didn't get Valkyria though)

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
That is not the "Resonance..." RPG from Sega I wanted to be brought to current machines. :(

edit: wait, this is an action RPG? I'm down with that, there's way too few of those!
edit2: and now I read it's apparently not good?

welp, what a rollercoaster

It's coming to Switch so you might as well start making the OT now, I'm sure Phantom will help out!

Oct 27, 2017
Something to keep in mind is that Sega of Europe won't publish console games anymore. Deep Silver brings their console games to Europe, they are the ones who will have European info.