• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Oh yeah, that is right isn't it? Steam said they're going to eventually start allowing more or less any VN in, but for now they're explicitly blocking VNs until whenever they actually get that filtering system setup. So, like the one genre that Valve is actually policing at this point.

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
This really sucks as a thing... I knew some of the people there. :(
I hope they all end up well and on their feet.

Guess that also kills a certain possibility for future things...

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Seriously. As a company, they pretty much run on pure crowdfunding, which is highly successful most of the time. The money's not even coming out of the managements' pockets. Looks like somebody wanted a raise.
Having a dedicated office in LA is not cheap, nor is it something anyone else publishing VNs has. They probably structured their company a particular way during the Steam boom and now simply can't afford it in the current market.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's a weird way of announcing a restructure in your company. Shouldn't be done on a more proper platform than a random KS they are making?

I wonder why they couldn't wait a few days until the KS was finished.

I'd say it was a good idea, because then the KS might not be funded if they kept quiet. People would find out, ask, get worried, and pull their pledges.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Official Statement:

Today, as many of you may have heard, we have had to make a very difficult decision in laying off many of our employees, co-workers, and friends from Sekai Project. The decision was difficult and we are sure it will impact many of them in the days to come and we wish them the best in their future endeavors.

Regarding the Status and Future of Sekai Project

Most of the staff that was let go over the course of the year was in marketing, whereas translation, programming, editing and QC are still diligently working on current and future projects. In the coming days, the company will be going through a restructure so we can be more nimble, focused, proactive and more like the company we were when we first started.

Regarding the Status of Current Projects

Many of you are likely concerned about the status of our projects, including our crowdfunding campaigns but we want to reassure you that they will continue although there may be more delays coming as we try to streamline our processes.

・We just submitted all the necessary paperwork for the EU release of Root Double: Before Crime * After Days and once we get approval from SIE, it can then be scheduled for release.
Project LUX has just been submitted for FQA to Sony. Once that's been cleared we can begin the process of getting it ready for release on Playstation VR
・Console port for fault – milestone one is in progress with a technology demo showcased here https://twitter.com/projectwritten/status/1026376627280732161
Fatal Twelve fulfillment is still scheduled to proceed at the end of the month. Please remember to update your shipping addresses if you are expecting physical rewards.
・Designs for A Light in the Dark goods have been finalized and will be printed at the end of the month.
・Translation check and re-editing of Hoshizora Memoria is in progress
・Canvas Garden, Love's Sweet Garnish, is almost done with QA and will be ready for release this month, pending Valve approval.
・E.N.Nach's, CyberRebeat -The Fifth Domain of Warfare-, is almost done with QA and will be ready for release this month.
・Regarding Gate Vol. 2, this addressed previously here https://sekaiproject.com/2018/08/01/gate-vol-2-the-delays-and-an-apology/
My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!? translation is still in progress. Developer updates will be posted to the Kickstarter campaign as they come
TOKYO CHRONOS development is still in progress. Translation will begin once the campaign concludes
・Engine porting for A Clockwork Ley-Line is in progress but more difficult than expected due to an older version of the engine being ported to a newer one.

I'm sure there will continue to be challenges moving forward but thank you once again for your continued support.

Sincerely,
Christopher Ling
CEO

user__

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this news hit me hard, coming straight from some hours spent playing Clannad... I sincerely hope for the people that lost their job to recover quickly. I also hope Sekai Project isn't in serious trouble, but I feel that right now they must be in a tough spot.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not seeing anything about rabi ribi's LRG release. Last I heard it was sekai holding back everything. I know I could buy the euro version but... How bizarre.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Damn, sucks for the people who worked for them. Can't say I have much interest in their future releases (if they're still happening), but I was waiting for Baldr Sky. Oh well, at least Spike Chunsoft not going to cancel 428.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
:| Sekai Project already take a decent amount of time. I hope I won't get screwed over regarding the kickstarters I backed. And I want to play dracu riot :(

edit: just saw Sekai Project statement.

user__

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it was a good idea, because then the KS might not be funded if they kept quiet. People would find out, ask, get worried, and pull their pledges.
Seems like it worked, they are 200$ under the goal now. I just think perhaps there were just a bunch of people holding their horses till the last days, and these numbers would have been reached anyway.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like it worked, they are 200$ under the goal now. I just think perhaps there were just a bunch of people holding their horses till the last days, and these numbers would have been reached anyway.

It's also very typical of KS. Lots of people either fund at the beginning or at the end. Plenty of people wait to see if it'll even be close to funding, before potching in (even if it doesn't cost anything).

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
It's also very typical of KS. Lots of people either fund at the beginning or at the end. Plenty of people wait to see if it'll even be close to funding, before potching in (even if it doesn't cost anything).

Bad press is still press, I'm sure a lot of people that didn't know about that campaign got to know after this happened.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So it looks like digital Vita might still be possible though? I think those 3 were the only ones with pending Vita ports that even digitally, are still being worked on? Kickstarter-wise, where are we at with unfulfilled Vita versions? (Root Double EU I know about).