• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ok, after completing Sekiro and on new game plus. I am absolutely steam rolling the game. I've died maybe two to three times from being lax.

My brother made a great point. Mario is harder, sure as shit Donkey Kony tropical freeze is harder..even with an easy mode...so many lives lost on those fanes.

I find it really strange that Sekiro is the game that's caused all this discussion about easy modes etc.

As soon as you take the time to truly learn and beat the last two bosses in sekiro the entire game is a cakewalk.

I made a new thread as I believe this needs to stand out. More than happy for it to be deleted if need be. I'd just seen so much discussion about difficulty of this game I truly believe people are choosing the wrong game to mention difficulty.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If you played Mario just as much as you've played Sekiro you'd call that game easy too.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Agreed, it's not hard once you learned how to play it.

It's like learning to ride a bicycle, the first few days is hard but once you got it, you got it.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh lord. Everyone else is wrong and you're right.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
You're right.

The scores of people playing and struggling through just don't get it.

But you do OP. You know the secret.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Difficulty is relative. I play platformers a ton, Tropical Freeze is not hard to me as I breezed through it and got 100%. I died a few times on the extra stages but they didn't pose that much of a threat for me.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
I'll let this Guerrilla Games animator break it down better than I could.

It's basically a rhythm game, and many encounters can be mastered with just ONE or TWO buttons. You just have to be patient enough to learn the patterns.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
"As soon as you take the time to truly learn and beat the last two bosses...". So, like, dying to bosses over and over until you've seen every move they have and can counter them reliably every time with very little room for mistakes? If only we had a word that could describe games like that...

It's almost as though most games don't require that much concentration, pattern-recognition and skill from the player, so people might be inclined to label a game that does require it as...

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sekiro is hard and playing on ng+ and thinking otherwise is silly because ng+ balance is awful. Take the charm off and then see how it easy it is.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
giphy.gif

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Mario is harder, sure as shit Donkey Kony tropical freeze
I've beaten every Mario and DK TF multiple times and I couldn't get far into Sekiro before giving up. Doesn't work like that.

It's all a matter of how willing you are to "git gud" at any game really. I didn't have the patience to master the deflecting in Sekiro, so I didn't bother with the rest of the game.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I made a new thread as I believe this needs to stand out. More than happy for it to be deleted if need be. I'd just seen so much discussion about difficulty of this game I truly believe people are choosing the wrong game to mention difficulty.

Love that you acknowledge all the threads and ongoing discussion about difficulty going on, but proceed to go ahead and make your own thread anyway and not engage directly with any of that discussion.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a Souls veteran: you are wrong. The game is hard and it is the most difficult in the series.

You can obviously master it and then steamroll everything and cheese a couple of bosses. But please stop telling people that the game is not hard.

Thread should be closed because this factually wrong claim should in fact not stand out.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
What game remains difficult after you've truly learned the mechanics? And if it is still difficult have you truly learned the mechanics?

Its sad that you do not know the difference.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as you take the time to truly learn and beat the last two bosses in sekiro the entire game is a cakewalk.

So...what you're saying is that it's hard?

I'd actually agree that Tropical Freeze is harder than dark souls as that game is nails, but Sekiro really ups the difficulty to another level.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, after completing Sekiro and on new game plus. I am absolutely steam rolling the game. I've died maybe two to three times from being lax.

My brother made a great point. Mario is harder, sure as shit Donkey Kony tropical freeze is harder..even with an easy mode...so many lives lost on those fanes.

I find it really strange that Sekiro is the game that's caused all this discussion about easy modes etc.

Yea the new game plus is obviously super easy? Assuming you also gave Kuro the charm you had to increase the difficulty further? Because otherwise you're going to be massively overpowered.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
New Game + balance is trash because you have all you need from the start to slay foes that on your first run you had a portion of your full capabilities.

Saying Sekiro is not that hard based on NG+ is trash. Saying Sekiro NG+ is the easiest of any From Soft aRPG makes sense, though.

Oct 27, 2017

It's basically a rhythm game, and many encounters can be mastered with just ONE or TWO buttons. You just have to be patient enough to learn the patterns.

That one is one of the rare ones with so little different moves. Most bosses have at least 5 different attacks

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
What is the problem people have with calling a game hard, anyway? We're talking about a game where basically every boss will lay you the fuck out in two hits, all the way through the game; if you can't break out the word 'hard' for that then when are you ever going to use it?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the game, but there is a special place in hell for the From Software "X game is not actually hard" folks mate.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

TBH all soul-like games are basically pattern matching games. That being said, Sekiro is by far the best IMHO when it comes to offering different combat "paths" to victory. Maybe that is why people find Sekiro the hardest.

Oct 27, 2017
I got the platinum in Bloodborne and played through all the Souls games multiple times. Sekiro was way fucking harder... or maybe not harder, but far more frustrating.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

I mean, for Giraffe, I just spammed block. And then I checked the wiki and the strategy it suggested was to spam block. Though the wiki called it "block dancing."

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
That's just another way of saying git gud...

How is it get good?
Asking people to play the game and learn its mechanics is asking too much now?

I am not asking them to be skilled or not die at all, cause that's not important or necessary, they just need to play more of the game to get the hang of it.

If my son tells me riding a bicycle is too hard and I tell him ''you just need to ride more son'' I am not telling him to ''git gud'' I'm telling him to not give up.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"IF I REFUSE TO ADMIT THAT I AM IN FACT GOOD AT A GAME, THEN IT ALLOWS ME TO TREAT THOSE WHO AREN'T AS LESS THAN PEOPLE AND SO DENY THEIR PERSPECTIVE!"

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on the Shinobi Master mini boss, because every single attempt I had to spend 2-3 minutes in stealth to take out all the trash mobs around him one by one and also to be careful not to aggro him or I will have to deal with 2 HP bars instead of one. I could probably beat him eventually but spending all that time before every attempt isn't for me.

I know the Mikiri Counter stuff, and I'm still not entirely sure what triggers the counter. Do I have to press B at the correct time like with parries, or do I just have to be in the dodge animation when he hits?

Either way, the entire game is pretty much Bloodborne's Defiled Chalice dungeon. And even that chalice dungeon was more forgiving and gave you more hits before death.

Even though I have platinums in all Dark Souls and BB, this one I just can't "git gud" at and I decided to play other games.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
You're one of those people. Uhhh it wasn't hard for me, so it's not hard in general.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love hard games but this is the only game ive given up on cuz its too hard for me.

I just dont do well with what the game asks of me.

We're not all such amazing gamers like you OP

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
It really it's not.

As smug as that sounds, I'm on my 4th run of Sekiro, and I have completed all the Souls games multiple times. Sekiro is by far the easiest of all.

I know it's very counter intuitive to the series, but you just have to understand that the more aggressive you play the easier it becomes. The same cannot be said for other Souls games.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
That one is one of the rare ones with so little different moves. Most bosses have at least 5 different attacks

Yeah, but you can still beat them by finding one or two moves that you know you got the timing down and ONLY engage them there. They all have tells before each move. Then just keep your distance/block without trying to parry when they do it.

For example...

Headless Ape

Had a bunch of moves I couldn't get the hang of. But I had the rhythm of his sword attack where he starts by moving his arm to the player's right and directing the blade at the player's left. So I baited him until those, then I parried that. Everything else I just ran/dodged/blocked because I knew I couldn't handle it.

(Not saying that the game is easy, but I do think that the rhythm approach holds for the entire game)

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is it get good?
Asking people to play the game and learn its mechanics is asking too much now?
Sekiro's mechanics are very demanding and mastering them takes more effort and patience compared to most other games. Some people who simply don't have the necessary reflexes might in fact never be able to master Sekiro's mechanics (unless they invest a shitload of time). That is the definition of a difficult game.

Compared to other Souls games, Sekiro doesn't provide the player with a lot of additional tools to make the game easier for them. No overlevelling, no summoning etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.