• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Max Deltree

Oct 31, 2017
I get the impression that Japanese games are always smaller in file size then western ones. I think Dragon Quest XI is only 20 gigs on the PS4, and that's an 80 hours game.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that the total install size? If so, I'd be worried this might be an 8-10 hour game and not 40+ like previous Soulsborne entries.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression that Japanese games are always smaller in file size then western ones. I think Dragon Quest XI is only 20 gigs on the PS4, and it's an 80 hours game.
Yup.
Monster Hunter World is 16GB, Dark Souls 3 is 20GB, Persona 5 is 24GB, Dragon Quest 11 is 21GB, Breath of the Wild is 14GB, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is 14GB.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good. I can't believe people here are already used to bullshit 50-100 GB file sizes being the norm

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
It's not really compression, it's that FROM always uses really low texture work outside of a few specific things like player armor and so on.

Yeah in FROM's case your probably right. It's always refreshing to see smaller file sizes and some games have totally escalated way out of hand.

Dec 6, 2017
US
has the pre-release From game concern trolling started yet? i remember people on the old site saying Bloodborne was like 3 hours long and had only 4 weapons

We're beyond knee-deep at this point, Bloodborne levels may have been exceeded and I thought that was impossible.

Sekiro is definitely two hours long and has only one boss fight...which is of course Hino-Enma from Nioh because From are ripoff morons who have not delivered some of the most consistently great games since 2009.

Oh I know. Just sick of seeing Nioh, and now apparently DS3 (??!) as an example of bad enemy variety when a clearly worse example exists :P

DS3 is pure lulz. Now we're at From lacking enemy variety...

okay-then.gif

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
What?! I haven't said anything good or bad about God of War. Its a completely different game with a focus on story. The opposite of Soulslikes. (I'm confused).

The point they're making is install size has nothing to do with length or enemy variety. GoW is a 45gb install and it has less enemy variety than DS3 a 20gb install.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What?! I haven't said anything good or bad about God of War. Its a completely different game with a focus on story. The opposite of Soulslikes. (I'm confused).
See below:
Oh I know. Just sick of seeing Nioh, and now apparently DS3 (??!) as an example of bad enemy variety when a clearly worse example exists :P
Not picking on you, just basically wanted to list a game with a huge file size that has poor enemy variety, so I see little evidence that file size is connected to enemy variety.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Interesting how it's half the size of PC on Xbox. No idea why people are suddenly judging game's length by file size, they already said it will be similar to DS3 and Bloodborne in length.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Darlk Souls III (base game) is 16-17gb and considering that Sekiro uses the same engine the file size is not really surprising.

or maybe Activision will do what they did with Spyro? You gotta download part of the game as a giant day 1 update lol.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
When you are so good at your job people start doubting if it is even possible without making compromises to length/enemy variety/whatever.
Keep rocking Fromsoft.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Whenever I see something like this I have to think of Warrior Within and The Two Thrones: the former requiring 3,3GB, the latter only 1,5GB. TTT wasn't shorter by any means and had even less backtracking. When it tells me anything, it's that space requirements seem to make no fucking sense, even nowadays. I mean, The Witcher 3 with all addons is like 70 or 80GB? on PS4, but only 45GB on PC. I mean, relatively and in absolute numbers spoken, this is HUGE!

Jul 20, 2018
Lobos Jr. played the game for six hours and didn't even beat a single proper boss. I'm not worried about this game's length in the slightest.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Seems small - maybe It's a preventative measure to ensure it doesn't leak - like it's half the file size?

Also it's probably compressed - it's probably around 30GB uncompressed.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Gears 4 like 100gb? I burned through that shit at like 20gb per hour.

In fact, I hereby request anyone reviewing games to have a gamesize/completion time ratio so I know if I'm getting my money's worth.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wish I had the power to tell how long games are by only seeing the file size like people here do.

Anyway, really refreshing to not have another 50GB+ game. Can't wait for this.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Sounds like a short game. I'm perfectly fine with that. Pure action games shouldn't be long.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Huge filesizes are usually just a lot of voicework in diifferent languages/CG cutscenes, really high res textures, etc. Stuff that's generally absent from From Software games. Original Dark Souls is like 4 gigs.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I see something like this I have to think of Warrior Within and The Two Thrones: the former requiring 3,3GB, the latter only 1,5GB. TTT wasn't shorter by any means and had even less backtracking. When it tells me anything, it's that space requirements seem to make no fucking sense, even nowadays. I mean, The Witcher 3 with all addons is like 70 or 80GB? on PS4, but only 45GB on PC. I mean, relatively and in absolute numbers spoken, this is HUGE!
FFXIV and Rainbow Six Siege recently cut their filesizes by half. It sometimes really is a mystery.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I have seen rumblings around that the game might be short, this could be evidence the game isn't as lengthy as its spiritual predecessors.

Or it's a wonder of compression, who knows.
Even if it's shorter, I'll be pretty pleased as I don't have time or patience for another 40+ hour Soulslike.

Ignore this person.

From already confirmed the game length to be similar to that of previous Soulsbrone games