• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not really the thread for it, but what on earth is going on with the marketing of this game lol.

The entire reaction clique on youtube that usually reacts to every wet fart from a publisher doesn't watch this thing, the launch trailer thread on here is 5 pages long.

Or is it just that a lot of people just don't care?
I can only speak for myself, but I just don't want any spoilers. My first playthrough of this game is sacred.

Didn't enter the Launch Trailer thread and intend to keep it that way.

I agree, but if I were you I would definitely want to keep my expectation lower.
It's better to be surprised than be let down, right now I'll just assume Sekiro is a stealth/action game with slightly bigger levels. I'll be happier this way.

I remember being let down by Bloodborne (yeah I know) because I was expecting the same amount of content, depth and variety as Dark Souls 1.
Took me a few replays to truly appreciate the masterpiece for what it is.
Oh, for sure. But even Bloodborne took me 69 hours for a first playthrough. If Sekiro takes me half of that time, it's still way longer than 6~8 hours.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls III on PC pre-DLC is only about 20GB.

From doesn't do a lot of texture shenanigans. Their games have always been light.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what your talking about, the launch trailer thread is 10 pages long (ERA doesn't represent the bigger picture). The Japanese trailer has over 220k views in 1 day and I had to literally use two scripts to avoid all the thumbnails/videos from both YT and Twitter cause it was filling up my feed quick.
I use 100 ppp so it's 5 for me. The TGS and launch trailer seem to have completely flown under peoples radar for some reason.

I'm not alking of the views for the actual trailer (which aren't anything to write home about either, imo). I'm talking about the reaction on social media. I don't use twitter, but youtube is almost dead when it comes to this game for some reason, not even Souls channels that were invited to play the game and bring footage are talking about the new footage of the launch trailer.
I can only speak for myself, but I just don't want any spoilers. My first playthrough of this game is sacred.

Didn't enter the Launch Trailer thread and intend to keep it that way.
I get that, but I wonder how many people actually do that. I don't remember the reactions for DS3 being so...tepid, for example.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
download size is no indication of what's actually in the game unless you're comparing the amount of uncompressed but average quality audio.

Nov 23, 2017
File size small: Too compressed, textures look like trash in the 360p Youtube video I saw on my phone, preorder canceled!!!
File size too big: Lazy devs don't know how to compress anything! Preorder canceled!

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Oh, for sure. But even Bloodborne took me 69 hours for a first playthrough. If Sekiro takes me half of that time, it's still way longer than 6~8 hours.

I get what you're saying, though Sekiro is probably the first of its sub genre so we'll see how it plays out.

Great number for dat first BB playthrough by the way.

I do agree that reception seems a lot colder for this game in general. But every time there's a new trailer it shoots up to Steam's top sellers, so hopefully it won't bomb.

Same, I can't tell if people are super excited or not excited.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use 100 ppp so it's 5 for me. The TGS and launch trailer seem to have completely flown under peoples radar for some reason.

I'm not alking of the views for the actual trailer (which aren't anything to write home about either, imo). I'm talking about the reaction on social media. I don't use twitter, but youtube is almost dead when it comes to this game for some reason, not even Souls channels that were invited to play the game and bring footage are talking about the new footage of the launch trailer.

I get that, but I wonder how many people actually do that. I don't remember the reactions for DS3 being so...tepid, for example.

Are you worried the game won't do well?

I wouldn't be. I can't speak for the existence of analysis and reaction videos and such or lack thereof, because I'm avoiding them, but just looking for the name, you've got two videos with 1.5 and 1.2 million views, which is pretty significant for a new IP. Then you've got a lot more videos with hundreds of thousands of views.

This will do just fine!

Edit: I know this isn't science, but if we're using YT as a metric, it looks good from over here

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

Launch trailers I get that some people stay away from and to be fair that whole TGS conference by Sony flew under the radar. Sekiro's announcement trailer has done their biggest number yet(since you are using YT as a metric). But to say that there has been no effective marketing or hype overall for Sekiro is just purely false and you should start looking around in other forms of social media to get a better overall view of how much traction a certain game is pulling.

Last edited:

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not gonna lie, it makes me a little suspicious of how much content the game has. I'm waiting on impressions and reviews before I get this one regardless.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you worried the game won't do well?

I wouldn't be. I can't speak for the existence of analysis and reaction videos and such or lack thereof, because I'm avoiding them, but just looking for the name, you've got two videos with 1.5 and 1.2 million views, which is pretty significant for a new IP. Then you've got a lot more videos with hundreds of thousands of views.

This will do just fine!

Edit: I know this isn't science, but if we're using YT as a metric, it looks good from over here
I'm starting to get a bit worried, yes. I'll definetly do my part though lol.
It's just weird to me that people like Vaati or Lobos don't talk about the new footage, or that people like Max Dood don't do their usual reaction shenanigans when they went nuts for the other trailers.

Launch trailers I get that some people stay away from and to be fair that whole TGS conference by Sony flew under the radar. Sekiro's announcement trailer has done their biggest number yet(since you are using YT as a metric). But to say that there has been no effective marketing or hype overall for Sekiro is just purely false and you should start looking around in other forms of social media to get a better overall view of how much attraction a certain game is pulling.
I know it doesn't make sense to compare the launch trailer to this one, but for some reason I get the feeling more people have been excited then than they are now. Which doesn't make any sense, because the more we've seen the better the game looked overall. I was looking around on Reddit a bit and didn't see that much, but maybe I'm just too dumb to find it lol.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love when great games are small because those are the things I want. I still remember ripping SotC and Ninja Gaiden 2 and being surprised by how frigging small they were despite seeming like they would be gigantic games. Sekiro looks like it'll be right up my alley so a small size ensures it's going to be on my HDD for the forseeable future.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I appreciate a smaller file size and the work that went into ensuring as such. I'm sure it'll be bigger on PC but it's nice to not be expecting a 50GB+ title from the looks of things.

Size doesn't matter.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I know it doesn't make sense to compare the launch trailer to this one, but for some reason I get the feeling more people have been excited then than they are now. Which doesn't make any sense, because the more we've seen the better the game looked overall. I was looking around on Reddit a bit and didn't see that much, but maybe I#m just too dumb to find it lol.

Well we all consume information from different places and it's highly individual how we interpret it. I'm not worried in the slightest for Sekiro judging by the positive vibes in the previews thread and how almost every single place covering the game had good things to say about it.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017

Were the people really so excited for DS III coming from DSII, which was...really not great Souls game? I completely slept on this game when it released and bought the complete edition later.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Were the people really so excited for DS III coming from DSII, which was...really not great Souls game? I completely slept on this game when it released and bought the complete edition later.
Well my memory might be faulty, but as far as I remember, people were way more hyped when release was nearing than they are now.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely won't have as much "content", in a general sense. Just the lack of hundreds of equipment to customize your character guarantees that, but when it comes to length, this type of level progression needs a more lenghty experience to feel satisfying, imo.

Returning to a DS1 style of world design like Miyazaki has been hinting (not sure if the previews say it wasn't true, though, didn't watch them) wouldn't mean anything for a game that only has 3 areas, for example.

If it was a linear action game, I would even say I'd prefer if it was shorter, even 6~8 hours short, but for this type of exploration I need more.

Not sure about 4K, but it does have HDR.
Yeah, sadly this.

I don't know why we have to act like anyone suggesting filesize compared to previous From games (from this gen) may actually mean something is crazy/concern trolling.

It unfortunately fits very well with what is known of the
trophy list

I've already made my peace with the fact Sekiro will probably be significantly shorter than even Dark Souls 3. (still hoping it's not though)

Oct 26, 2017
The game won't be shorter according to From Software. Perhaps they got more efficient. Sounds like good news to me.

Where have they said this? Not saying I don't believe you, but I pretty much skipped tons of coverage on the game, but I'm still ever so slightly worried about this. Even Dark Souls 3 is pretty big in file size isn't it?

Oct 26, 2017
It would be a shame for real if the game is short, I mean all the Souls games have been quite long. And this game still has some Souls DNA.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where have they said this? Not saying I don't believe you, but I pretty much skipped tons of coverage on the game, but I'm still ever so slightly worried about this. Even Dark Souls 3 is pretty big in file size isn't it?
It would be a shame for real if the game is short, I mean all the Souls games have been quite long. And this game still has some Souls DNA.
There has been an interview with Miyazaki making the rounds where he answers the question of game lenght with "around Dark Souls and Bloodborne". Sadly I can't find it right now, but you can rest assured it won't be a shorter game.

Edit: Here you go. https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/24/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-length-playtime-dark-souls-3-bloodborne/

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
BowedTediousAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

breh this ain't Nioh chill

Someone's threatened by Nioh 2 :P

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sadly this.

I don't know why we have to act like anyone suggesting filesize compared to previous From games (from this gen) may actually mean something is crazy/concern trolling.

trophy list

I've already made my peace with the fact Sekiro will probably be significantly shorter than even Dark Souls 3. (still hoping it's not though)

Well

13 bosses, 14 not counting the final one is not significantly less, it's just a bit less than Bloodborne boss count (17). I think that's what you are referring to.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I did little to no reading of previews, there won't be new outfits/armors and weapons we can obtain or pick up?
Nope. There is no fashion game this time.

Didn't it have compressed audio though and poor textures though?
All From games have compressed audio and poor textures.

It's not a fair comparison because one was designed for the 360 and the other the PS4, but download size is not install size is not game size.

Jul 20, 2018
I did little to no reading of previews, there won't be new outfits/armors and weapons we can obtain or pick up?

There are attachments for your prosthetic arm like shuriken launcher, umbrella shield, axe, etc. but that's it for equipment. Otherwise there are skill trees and upgrade paths for said prosthetic attachments for some degree of character customization.

You wear the same outfit the whole game.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
Yeah, sadly this.

trophy list

You're pretty bad at reading the trophies and comparing it to the preview footage if you've reached that conclusion. Filesize doesn't suggest shit, in fact it's the same size as DS3 on PC. I swear there's some ridiculous ''sEkiRO is sHortt :(('' speculation going on in this forum for some reason.