• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't the character swallow "souls" after killing enemies?

No, it's these emblems.

4n60u6h.jpg

They act like ammo for your left arm tools, it appears he can only carry 15 at max in this demo.

Dec 6, 2017
US
So since I'm trying not to spoil myself much and am kinda refusing to watch one of the entire videos:

I know this tends to be normal in most games, but has it been confirmed that we can turn those heinous green markers and possibly other HUD elements off?

This game looks like yet another dream game type deal for me, fucking insane, really. Looks like Tenchu, Bloodborne and Ninja Gaiden's first stage in an unholy blender. It's like these motherfuckers peer into my brain to see what to do next.

Also, the music is great and I'm glad they incorporated more, fits a game of this nature and OG Tenchu had an amazing soundtrack.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
This looks so good, can't wait to get my hands on it and try out all the new stealth mechanics.

It's really feeding into one of my favourite playstyles in souls games, sneaking in to backstab an enemy then rushing down the rest before they can react. Now they've designed a whole game around it which looks like great fun to play.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im super excited for this hearing its not an RPG like the Souls games. Bloodborne was a step in the right direction towards action that I likd and this looks even further.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Also this seems to very important when facing tougher enemies:

So since I'm trying not to spoil myself much and am kinda refusing to watch one of the entire videos:

I know this tends to be normal in most games, but has it been confirmed that we can turn those heinous green markers and possibly other HUD elements off?

This game looks like yet another dream game type deal for me, fucking insane, really. Looks like Tenchu, Bloodborne and Ninja Gaiden's first stage in an unholy blender. It's like these motherfuckers peer into my brain to see what to do next.

I haven't seen any confirmation about that.

Though I don't think it's a good idea at all to turn them off judging by this footage, but I do wish they improve its appearance, it's kinda rough looking atm.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Honestly I don't know how can't I be so excited as you guys, it looks good to me but nothing special. Reminds me of Tenchu which is cool but Tenchu is a pretty old game.

Stealth is ok but this is stealth like any other game, it'll be fine when I play it but watching is like... yeah, I know about all this.

Gameplay looks good and will be good but doesn't impress me after playing something like Nioh. Not saying this won't be better than that, I'm not the biggest fan of Nioh but combat in that game was stellar.

Visually is kinda uninteresting to me, I like the setting but it looks like a regular simple level (simple in aesthetics).

It's a must and I'm sure it'll be an amazing game but so far anything I've watched makes me eager to play the game, it's more like "oh cool, I'll play this next year, what else do we have to play now?".

I don't know, the first time I watched Bloodborne and Dark Souls III I was way more excited.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This looks fucking great!

Hopefully you can disable tutorials or they don't constantly interrupt gameplay like that in the final build. I assume they were just like that for this demo.

They'll probably follow the format that the Souls/Bloodborne games follow and put the tutorials on the ground.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I haven't seen any confirmation about that.

Though I don't think it's a good idea at all to turn them off judging by this footage, but I do wish they improve its appearance, it's kinda rough looking atm.

I think I really just meant the grappling point marker. I agree with you actually...it's probably necessary but fuck is it hideous and jarring.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
We have both "not a souls game" and "not souls game enough" in this thread even after the the countless interviews about the design decision to make it 100% single player and detach from that franchise? Lol

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This is a tactical character action game. It's building on the Souls DNA but just focusing on combat. That Vaati video looked godlike.

Will be defo picking this up. It's amazing that Character action gamers have nothing but scraps all generation, then this and DMC5 come out within weeks of each other.

Not to mention Bayonetta 3, GoT, Lost soul aside and Nioh 2 are not far behind too...
Character action seems like one of the most stagnant genres around; if a game like this or God of War deviates from the DMC/Bayonetta mold, you're going to see ton of discussion about how it's not a character action game. I'm glad that we're finally seeing games experiment with the subgenre, because I love the combat side of character action but not the larger focus on scores or the typical run-from-arena-to-arena design. For me, God of War, Nioh, and Sekiro are the most exciting things to happen in the genre in years

Jul 20, 2018
Will there be a map and objective markers?

There don't appear to be any from what I've seen. I really prefer a lack of objective markers as I feel that hurts the exploration aspect of these types of games, but I'm not against maps at all. What's always really impressed me about the Souls games is that the level designs manage to be so memorable that it's never felt like I needed a map, so I really hope that trend continues with this game.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From Software should ban interviewers from mentioning the Souls games. Looks nothing like a Souls game.

By "reskinned souls game" you mean a game with a good combat system...? Cause honestly, other than that, the combat looks very very different than Souls.

Yeah, it looks super different to any Souls game. Except for the interconnected world, bonfires, trick weapons, parry system, gameplay mechanics around the death concept, enemies dropping "souls", charged attacks... JUST LIKE ANY SOULS GAME.

It looks like a faster Bloodborne, more focused on parry. If you cant see that it's because you dont want. Its like people who still says that Demons/Dark/Bloodnorne are very different games just for minimal gameplay changes. They all share the core, feel and spirit.

The only different thing here it's the grappling hook, but that it's not a game changer. It's like when Naughty Dog revealed the hook in Uncharted 4 calling it a ohh woooww super new change in gameplay lol.

X Wi77iaM X

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
We have both "not a souls game" and "not souls game enough" in this thread even after the the countless interviews about the design decision to make it 100% single player and detach from that franchise? Lol

what? the gameplay combat is clearly derived of souls games.

Yeah, it looks super different to any Souls game. Except for the interconnected world, bonfires, trick weapons, parry system, gameplay mechanics around the death concept, enemies dropping "souls", charged attacks... JUST LIKE ANY SOULS GAME.

It looks like a faster Bloodborne, more focused on parry. If you cant see that it's because you dont want. Its like people who still says that Demons/Dark/Bloodnorne are very different games just for minimal gameplay changes. They all share the core, feel and spirit.

The only different thing here it's the grappling hook, but that it's not a game changer. It's like when Naughty Dog revealed the hook in Uncharted 4 calling it a ohh woooww super new change in gameplay lol.

perfect response.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

Enemies don't drop anything like souls or blood echoes at all, and the parry system is nothing like Bloodborne or Souls; it's more like Street Fighter 3 or Metal Gear Rising.

The only big things that carry Souls DNA are the interconnected world and some HUD elements, but that's pretty much it. Even the "visceral attack" system is more like the new God of War than Souls/Bloodborne critical/visceral attacks, and tons of games have intetconnected world design too.

The whole tempo and style of the combat is way different from Souls if only because of there being no stamina mechanic at all. That hugely alters the player's priorities and what they're capable of.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I liked what I saw. I'm glad FROM is iterating even further away from the Souls formula. Seems familiar yet different, and that's what I want. This looks to be a mix of Tenchu and Bloodborne, which is a combination I didn't know I needed until now. March can't get here fast enough.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
There's an official video from Activision, it looks better played.

Thanks for the heads-up, there's some really cool shit in that video:

For example:
20GYWwn.gif

I'm not sure of what the player did, but it appears that if you dodge(?) the unblockable attack at the last second you'll trigger a specific animation and not only inflict posture damage to the enemy but also fully recover your posture by doing this. I love this kind of depth in combat.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

For example:
20GYWwn.gif

I'm not sure of what the player did, but it appears that if you dodge(?) the unblockable attack at the last second you'll trigger a specific animation and not only inflict posture damage to the enemy but also fully recover your posture by doing this. I love this kind of depth in combat.

Oh that's dope. Man I wanna play this rn.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

For example:
20GYWwn.gif

Yeah, that video made me appreciate it more.

Oct 26, 2017
All these things are.... JUST LIKE A SHIT TON OF OTHER ACTION GAMES.
Mechanics around death and bonfires are the same thing. The big difference between souls and other games before it, was they had the innovation to turn save points into restoration points. Then build an RPG around it. If these are all the elements you need to require for a game to be souls like, then most action games are souls with the exception that you lose your souls permanently.

There is literally no dodge button, jumping, grappling, stealth, and completely different flow to combat. If this game isn't for you, no need to act like youve only seen one video game with these elements in your entire life, and pretend its just stripped away the stuff you liked about other From games and not brought anything new to the table.

Another one, this time jumping:

1FxquTA.gif

Holy shit this is amazing.
This is my favourite stuff to do in Nioh. The weightier the game, the better jumping over an attack feels.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Enemies don't drop anything like souls or blood echoes at all
There's a similar effect when an enemy dies like souls floating in to the main character, I think it's replenishing the white things bottom right (terrible remembering names sorry) that govern special item usage etc. So it's not souls, but more like silver bullets and the killing/gaining effect is the same is what i think they meant.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The spear dude deflecting shurikans with his spear in vaati's videos is really fucking cool.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Deleted, same post really minus a cool GIF format. Combat looks really great in that video.

Edit: Do we agree that it looks like you can actually jump, then jump off the enemy's head again? Or is that possibly part of a canned move?

Not sure, was wondering the same. There was a moment in ENB video (I think) where it appeared that he either did a double jump or used the ogre head to do a extra jump.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I really wish there was some sort of long-term hook for this game that keeps you invested and coming back for more. Dropping $60 on what looks like a one and one experience just ain't happening. No matter how good the combat looks.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Devs take ideas and mechanics from their other games all the time. I remember when some said(some still do) that TLOU is an uncharted game which is absurd.

Sekiro isn't even an RPG with zero RPG elements. It's a pure ninja action game with heavy stealth mechanics.

Good old From reusing assets.

giphy.gif

/s

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017

GhostRobo's commentary + gameplay. Shows some stuff that we haven't seen in the other gameplay demos.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Still very very excited for this and I'm sad that people seem to have a really negative view of how different is it from Soulsborne. We just got 5 Soulsborne games in a row, can't we just try something a little different?

I am a little iffy on the stealth kills and the way verticality might make them the best way to play the game, but the one on one combat looks way deeper and more interesting than any Soulsborne stuff.