• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
i was pretty surprised. This isn't a big game that anybody talks about like God of War/BOTW (which ppl still talk about).

This game came and went within a week. In fairness the other games were all forgettable too. I cant even remember the others in the running
I think you got the wrong hobby, bud.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
i was pretty surprised. This isn't a big game that anybody talks about like God of War/BOTW (which ppl still talk about).

This game came and went within a week. In fairness the other games were all forgettable too. I cant even remember the others in the running

The difficulty of the game it's being talked to this day but it was heavy during the first two months, articles and articles about it and people complaining they were being left behind.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
im sure its a good game. But to think that its not niche...and that its a well known game that ppl are still talking about is just incorrect. If ur not reading about games on a daily basis. U dont know about this game.

and 4 mil is good. for like Splatoon. But a game thats available on PC/Xbox/PS4. thats like 1 percent of ppl that could buy it, did...right?

idk i dont really care. i didn't think calling Sekiro a game that wasn't big or was under the radar was going to be controversial. But then again. its from software. So maybe i shoulda knownt the dark souls ppl are always out in force.

Sekiro was outpacing DS3 initially per estimated sales. And you're completely wrong on only people that follow games daily knowing about it. I know plenty of people who game but don't follow games who know what Sekiro is.

If you think Sekiro wasn't big or went under the radar that's on you for not paying attention. Gaming media lent more than enough attention to it to spread to casual viewers. It got the whole game difficulty debate flowing again giving it legs. It was a prominent seller in March despite only being available for a week and still charted in April and May. It was also carried by the hype of the developers of DS/Bloodborne, multiple time nominees at the same show they just won. If you don't know Sekiro or From you sure as shit don't care about the VGAs of all things.

Last edited:

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I played this for like an hour and could not beat some generic random enemies so i quit lol Wish I could git gud and finish it out, but my brain could not comprehend the combat for some reason.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I liked Sekiro, good for From.

My personal winner is either Baba is You or Smash. I still have a lot of 2019 games to get through though.

Aug 2, 2018
I don't understand the video game press, how does Sekiro not win best action game but win best game?
never understood why they scrapped the Best Shooter category and then jammed a bunch of shooters in the action category. 4 of the 6 nominations in action were shooters. Sekiro won action-adventure though the whole distinction between action and action-adventure makes no sense to me. Devil may cry 5 rightfully won the action, but also confused why it wasn't nominated for GOTY over stuff like Control, Smash, and Outerworlds.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Sekiro was one of the most amazing first play throughs of a game I've ever experienced. It isn't as replayable as other From games, but that's fine. It is its own thing and I love it for that. Can Miyazaki do any wrong?

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, by far the best game of the year.

Sekiro > Control > Outer Worlds for me, RE2 honorable mention

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
the only From game I've played was bloodborne and I beat it. For copycats I played the surge and absolutely loved it
Ok so you're familiar with how these games work. I was gonna say, cuz I personally don't think Sekiro does the best job of teaching the player how to play it. If you ever do go back to it (and you should, there's a lot of great stuff to see) my biggest piece of advice would be to focus on the audio/visual cues for perfect parries, as combat in this game is almost entirely based around parrying to open the enemy up to being attacked, and then realizing when the enemy has parried you so that you know to stop attacking.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's their best alongside Bloodborne. I prefer the combat of sekiro and the world/atmosphere of BB. I honestly don't think we'll get another game with as good a sword combat for a very long time.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe resist instinct of being a child when someone doesn't immediately slurp your favorite game and you won't need to be reminded you're acting that way?

Constantly referring to the people you are arguing with as being children is a bad look. It is utterly petulant. You should consider taking it down and notch and refraining from name-calling.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Which fight? (Is this considered spoiler?)

When you meet him on top of the rooftop - I get to his second phase consistently, and sometimes his third.

I probably need to just go back and try again - i put it down for so long, I'm reluctant though.

Bloodborne was a cake walk compared to this for me lol.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the video game press, how does Sekiro not win best action game but win best game?
The same way a movie didn't win director of the year or sweep most of the awards but still wins film of the year. There might be other titles that individually were better in one specific regard but this one as a whole encompassing other categories is the best as a package.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The same way a movie didn't win director of the year or sweep most of the awards but still wins film of the year. There might be other titles that individually were better in one specific regard but this one as a whole encompassing other categories is the best as a package.

Sekiro was nominated for Action/Adventure, not Action. And it won that as well.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im sure its a good game. But to think that its not niche...and that its a well known game that ppl are still talking about is just incorrect. If ur not reading about games on a daily basis. U dont know about this game.

and 4 mil is good. for like Splatoon. But a game thats available on PC/Xbox/PS4. thats like 1 percent of ppl that could buy it, did...right?

idk i dont really care. i didn't think calling Sekiro a game that wasn't big or was under the radar was going to be controversial. But then again. its from software. So maybe i shoulda knownt the dark souls ppl are always out in force.
So even if it was a niche game as you are laughably suggesting it should not win Game of the Year?

Demons Souls was niche. From Software was a major name in the game once Dark Souls became a huge hit.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just realized something.

When was the last time an Activision published title won game of the year?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It's great, but it's the only From game I'll never replay. I have my criticisms, but I played a shit ton of it and got the platinum.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
No, but you have to be really careful where you back up your save.
That's no fun. Once you know the level layouts you can just run through things and escape to safety, and absolutely annihilating bosses that were massive roadblocks on my first playthrough was so satisfying. My NG+ playthrough took like 2-3 hours.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Haven't played it yet but congrats to the team at From, especially so for a new IP like this. Game looked awesome and I'm glad it succeeded when many were questioning how it would stack up against the Souls games. I don't remember the last time I was so genuinely surprised by a GOTY winner.