• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna play the other games cuz they're way too creepy for me, but with Sekiro as my first FromSoftware game, it was nice to finally see firsthand why everyone loves their output.
Coming from someone who is too afraid to play RE2 or any horror game, you should really give Bloodborne a shot. One of the best games I've ever played.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is a great surprise, thought it had no chance next to the other heavy hitters, but quality won. So happy for From.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually super surprised this won.

It's my game of the year, but it doesn't seem like a Game Awards kinda game of that makes sense.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Happy Death Stranding didn't win this category. Really need to play Sekiro now at some point.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I think I enjoyed Death Stranding and RE2 more on the whole, but Sekiro is still a phenomenal game and I'm happy to see it win. I think I'll play through it again tomorrow.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
thinking back on sekiro it actually blows my mind... original combat original world original story...all executed incredibly well.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Happy for Miyazaki. He's earned it that's for sure.

Shame RE2 won nothing though. The two RE2 directors were even there as well. But they seemed happy for Itsuno so hopefully they're still having a good time.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I'm happy for Miyazaki and his team. Congrats to them.
Fire Emblem was my goty and it got the Fan votes.
Sekiro was my second favorite and it got GOTY award.
Feels good.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
what is so good about sekiro?

this

rGbEZFt.gif

You ain't getting a sword clashing gameplay like this anywhere.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
this

rGbEZFt.gif

You ain't getting a sword clashing gameplay like this anywhere.

Lol, the actual fighting rarely looks NOTHING like this tho. This dude is a GOD at action games and control of the camera.
I have this fight recorded on my channel and nowhere did it looked this cinematic or epic.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, the actual fighting rarely looks NOTHING like this tho. This dude is a GOD at action games and control of the camera.
I have this fight recorded on my channel and nowhere did it looked this cinematic or epic.

the gameplay is what you see, there's nothing faked and it's not a "no hit with me feet" kind of display, is standard Sekiro combat. The only think Sunhi do is control he camera (which you can do if you want) and touch the graphics a little. The point of my post was showing the gameplay.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An actual well deserved winner, so much for those who wanted DS to win just to see the meltdown!

Congrats to From, Sekiro was a brilliant game.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm not gonna play the other games cuz they're way too creepy for me, but with Sekiro as my first FromSoftware game, it was nice to finally see firsthand why everyone loves their output.

Bloodborne can definitely be creepy, but to me at least, it never got to the point where it felt unsettling. There are certain horror games (and movies for that matter) I simply stopped because it got too uncomfortable for me to continue (I do pretty badly with the Horror genre in general), but I never felt that way with Bloodborne.

I would recommend maybe giving it a shot the next time it's on a decent sale. It's one of those games I avoided playing for many years because I was pretty sure From Software games weren't for me, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how wrong I was. Definitely one of my favorite games of the generation.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017

Feel it had a too big conflict of interest with Keighley being in it and being promoted a lot here in past years so don't think it should of been nominated for any awards and then don't think it reviewed well enough to win this one.
There's a couple of awards I'm glad it won but still feel it shouldn't have been nominated.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My least favourite game of the nominees but oh well. Good for them and now give me a new Armored Core please.

Jun 23, 2019
Feel it had a too big conflict of interest with Keighley being in it and being promoted a lot here in past years so don't think it should of been nominated for any awards and then don't think it reviewed well enough to win this one.
There's a couple of awards I'm glad it won but still feel it shouldn't have been nominated.

Well I disagree. Keighley being a friend of Kojima had nothing to do with it being nominated as a worldwide panel of judges all did the choosing and voting of the games. The fact that Death Stranding didn't win invalidates anyone thinking there was some conflict of interest as of there was, DS would have swept all 11 nominations.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to play the game but I'm really anxious about the fact that there is no safety net mechanic like Souls game.

How difficult is the game compared to Nioh (I managed to beat Nioh without help but I do overlevel a bit)?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
what is so good about sekiro? good story?

Yes,
and also the good gameplay,
and also the good level design,
and also the good boss fights,
and also the good art style,
and also the good atmosphere,
and also the good music.

Sekiro's story may not have the same presentation as games like Death Stranding, but the story itself is great:

Heir of dragon's heritage seeks to sever his ties to immortality to stop humanity from corrupting, so he and his loyal shinobi set out to find the fountainhead palace in search of the devine dragon's tear, depends on your choice the ending can be either incredibly tragic or hopeful.

It is way better of a story than:

Sam the porter delivering stuff all over the place to reconnect America from East to the West and then the plot twist happen and now he is back to the East.

Last edited: