• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I think Smash would have been the perfect game to break that trend since Smash is a giant celebration of gaming and a complete package, not just mindless fan-service thrown together. For the lack of better words, it's the Avengers Infinity Wars/Endgame of gaming with the amount of crossover, detail, and love. Something you see when you see Sakurai talk about Smash in his presentation like with Terry. Max actually says it best when he said that the one thing he loved about Smash is that Sakurai gives a damn.

To be sure, I am not saying Sekiro didn't deserve to win. I just hate the mindset that Smash shouldn't win because 'meh, fighting game' instead of simply saying Sekiro was better.

Problem is, I don't even think anyone can compare Sekiro and Smash, they are too different to decide which one should have been awarded.

However, at the end, the press will always give more importance to certain genres than others, no matter how good the game is.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations to FROM.
Well deserved win for a great game. Probably my personal GOTY, too.
I was really surprised that Sekiro won. I was totally expecting Death Stranding or Smash Bros. to take it home.

Now please show us some Elden Ring gameplay!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I really need to play the game but I'm really anxious about the fact that there is no safety net mechanic like Souls game.

How difficult is the game compared to Nioh (I managed to beat Nioh without help but I do overlevel a bit)?
It's hard as fuck and it wants you to feel bad while you're learning. You lose half your XP and gold every time you die, and dying a lot also afflicts NPCs with a disease that halts sidequest progress until they're cured. And the curative item is limited, lol. Also, needless to say since this is a FromSoft game, dying respawns all enemies besides defeated minibosses.

Play on PC if you can, because the console versions have a subtle but very detrimental input delay that messes up the timings of parries, which is the central mechanic.

Great game, but extremely hostile to the player.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Problem is, I don't even think anyone can compare Sekiro and Smash, they are too different to decide which one should have been awarded.

However, at the end, the press will always give more importance to certain genres than others, no matter how good the game is.

Outside of technical aspects and presentation, what game is better than the other will always come down to personal opinion. But one shouldn't win over the other because of genre bias. Which is why I never liked award shows since the genre bias is not only apparent, but accepted.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
It was the best of the list for sure, i had a good time with it which i didn't really expect since i wasn't much a fan of Dark Souls.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Fuck yeah!!! An unforgettable experience by the legend Miyazaki and his awesome team, congrats to them and i can't wait for Elden Ring.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Calm down children, no ones salty about anything. My point was, they should have won 3-4 of these already. Seikro is a good game but it's not their best.

It's one of their weakest for sure, but who cares. FROM earned it.

I'm glad they finally got one, but you can't convince me this wasn't a body of work award. From has been snubbed enough that this feels like a makeup call.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
While RE2 would've been my pick, it's still absolutely deserved. How From keep cranking out these fantastic games I don't know, but what an amazing rise it has been for them.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am okay with this, Sekiro is amazing and pure testament to your own skills (no crutch summoning).

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I might've gone for Smash, but I can't think of any game this year that pulled me in as completely and inexorably as Sekiro. For a few weeks there, it was all I played and all I wanted to play.

Mechanically, it's From's best game by a mile.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The entire dev team of Jedi Fallen Order must be cheering right now cause it seems like they absolutely love Sekiro, they even made a Star Wars game inspired by it.

nizerifin

Jun 9, 2018
Congrats, FROM. I honestly thought a GOTY would always elude this studio due to the difficulty of their games. Guess not.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
5jwylrcuyb441.jpg

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Cory Barlog was there and they call Vin Diesel to give the award,seriously,they should always call the previous GOTY Winner director for that.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
It was well deserved, what an amazing game.
Still, kinda wanted an Elden Ring trailer :( they should post one online to celebrate the victory

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
hahaha I remember in one of the pre-released threads people were pissed because it wasn't dark souls 4, what a turnaround

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see what being From's best or not has to do with anything.

From can only have one best game, but they surely have at least 4 games worthy of Game of the Year awards for their respective years.

The reason Sekiro won wasn't because critics wanted to give From a pity prize, it's because there was no The Witcher 3, Skyrim or Uncharted this year. Simple as that.

When people say Dark Souls II deserved GOTY a lot more than games like Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition, they're not necessarily saying that Dark Souls II was better than Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, you know.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
I'm overjoyed! My personal game of the year, and it really tested me to get the platinum, but I did it!

Happy it gets the recognition it deserves!

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Hopefully we will get a sequel after Elden Ring. The game performed pretty great for a new IP, Activision and From must have been happy. Bodes well that one of the endings is pretty much leaves it wide open for a sequel.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I really don't see what being From's best or not has to do with anything.

From can only have one best game, but they surely have at least 4 games worthy of Game of the Year awards for their respective years.

The reason Sekiro won wasn't because critics wanted to give From a pity prize, it's because there was no The Witcher 3, Skyrim or Uncharted this year. Simple as that.

When people say Dark Souls II deserved GOTY a lot more than games like Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition, they're not necessarily saying that Dark Souls II was better than Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, you know.
Exactly. From could have won GOTY for Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Dark Souls III too

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to sekiro and miyazaki!

Personally my thoughts about the game are....two sided. I played it for a bit but after a while realized I was not actually having any fun. Then I decided to download cheat engine and tweak the game myself, and I was having a lot more fun.

However, when I talked about my experience with the game on era, there were some people that got pretty toxic with bullshit like "if you used cheat engine you don't deserve to have fun". Basically it was the "you cheated yourself" meme only with people that were dead serious. That toxicity of part of the community here did sour a bit how i look back at the game.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Sekiro is in my top 2 for the year (maybe even my GoTY), well deserved.

After playing TOW, I appreciate even more the design philosophy present in so many FROM games: one difficulty, expertly crafted and tuned for an excellent experience. I was never too weak or powerful for the content, and the content was never boring because of it.

I hope we see another Sekiro like game, or that Souls DNA incorporates a bit of the parry mechanic in Sekiro (not nearly as much, but emphasizing them a bit more would be pretty cool).

Congratulations, FROM. You've had this one coming for years.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. I'm not sure it's my number one - I'd probably give that to FFXIV Shadowbringers. However Sekiro was an incredible game and very memorable - so I'm stoked it got recognized.