• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Saw this on Reddit, god Miyazaki look so happy.

aljfj6zfsc441.jpg

''SEC-EAR-ROW-''
Haha, no way Vin Diesel would pronounce that any other way than Sea-Keye-Row otherwise

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's a game that is objectively excellent, but punishingly difficult in a more cynical and frustrating way than any previous FromSoft game.

I've found it the gaming equivalent of trying to open a door by smashing your forehead into it over and over again. But I've been doing that for 23 hours and have kept coming back even after immense frustrations so..

I'm filing it under "gets its dues". I can't in good faith agree with any site that gives the top award to something this prohibitively difficult, but it's definitely top 5 material.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, the actual fighting rarely looks NOTHING like this tho. This dude is a GOD at action games and control of the camera.
I have this fight recorded on my channel and nowhere did it looked this cinematic or epic.
When it comes to sword clashing/deflection, that's an accurate representation.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranded more like.

Seriously happy for From.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
That's gotta be Activision's first big GOTY in a while, right? Congrats to FromSoft obviously.

Shame RE2 won nothing though. The two RE2 directors were even there as well.

I get why they didn't win GOTY (I figure enough of the panel probably umm'd and ah'd about it being a remake) but I was so sure they were gonna win Audio Design.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Sekiro is great. Up in the echelons of the best games ever made, IMO. A once-in-a-generation game and truly one of a kind.

Very pleased to see it win.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
-Sekiro won the GOTY
-Three Houses won the public poll award
-Disco Elysium won the Narrative award

I can agree with the 3 and some others, I expected the awards to be quite different so I'm mostly OK with them this year.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Well deserved. Brilliant, brilliant game that I still haven't beaten. I'm close though! RIght at the end!

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
It's a fantastic game! While not my personal favourite, I think it really deserves all the praise.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
I was very happy with the results.

Smash, Sekiro, Death Stranding, DMC, Control. Every good game got a share of the pie.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
As a huge Smash and Sekiro fan, I think Sekiro is the right choice.

Smash Ultimate is great, the best Smash game since Melee, but it has flaws which are too big and embarassing to ignore. Its online modes and capabilities are incredibly bad which is absolutely disappointing because that should be top priority for a multiplayer title meant to bring people together, casually or competitive. It's a core part of the game which they failed on.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Thoughts and prayers sent to user chandoog. Maybe the next time he spams 75 times about how a bad game will actually win and it's going to be good because it'll "gather salt" he might be correct

Happy for Sekiro, it's good. Would have been happier if it'd been RE. Wish RE and Goose Game hadn't been completely snubbed

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's a game that is objectively excellent, but punishingly difficult in a more cynical and frustrating way than any previous FromSoft game.

I've found it the gaming equivalent of trying to open a door by smashing your forehead into it over and over again. But I've been doing that for 23 hours and have kept coming back even after immense frustrations so..

I'm filing it under "gets its dues". I can't in good faith agree with any site that gives the top award to something this prohibitively difficult, but it's definitely top 5 material.
You simply lack the right approach. With some coaching you'd do just fine. Every encounter is a puzzle that you need to spend time on to understand. those no damage runs prove it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Sekiro!

You're way too difficult for my tired old bones, but I'm glad you got the nod either way.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
While SEKIRO is no Bloodborne or even Dark Souls 3 im glad at least it won over REsident Evil 2 that game is a solid remake and all that but its a little overrated around here,and far from perfect

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sekiro isn't froms best game but its their most perfect game if that makes any sense. You can only really tackle the game the one way, on it's own terms and play it how the game wants you to. But with that every single encounter, level design, and boss is magical and honestly I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually thinking during the list of nominees, "Man, Sekiro hasn't won shit tonight..." and actually let out an exclamation of (pleasant) surprise when they announced the winner.

I'm rubbish at the game, like I am with all From games, but the award is well-deserved. I don't have to be good at a particular game to acknowledge how good it is.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
My highlighr of the year. Very focused mechanically and narritvely, beautiful art and hugely rewarding. Couldn't put it down until I played through it twice.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro was my distant second-favorite game this year, but it was my favorite of the nominees. Well-deserved.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This game was work - but it was so much fun too!
Getting better in this game was so rewarding when you are suddenly faced with obstacles that where a problem at the beginning of the game but now you could just advance because you learned so much.

And it's not even extra items or mechanics. A bit more live and the rest was just learning the game and it's enemies.

I'm not a huge single player gamer and I sunk over 50 hours into this game. It's a much deserved award!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has there ever been a study that if a game wins game of the year does it jump in sales for a month or so? Or is there no change

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huge congratulations to From and Sekiro for winning. Not my personal first choice, but then again my first choice didn't even win a single award at all. 😔

For the future, can everyone on this board finally stop pretending Death Stranding is getting massive favouritism and that it's actually being liked based on its merits?

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
Just scrubbed through the show and watched their award acceptance. Very nice getting to see them on the stage like that. I really need to get the courage to keep playing through Sekiro over the holiday.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is a game I never expected to win, but I'm very glad it did.

It's a fantastic game and deserves every accolade.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Reused bosses
Reused areas
Useless skills
Poorly implemented upgrading system (you need at least 4 walkthroughs to learn/use all the skills)
NG+ without any new additions
The use of emblems (this was patched)

And as a personal appreciation, I think that the combat it's really repetitive after a few hours. And gets worse because the lack of any new weapon.

At least for me a game with that kind of problems it's not a GOTY.
Reused bosses? Don't see a problem like many. They were tweaked enough to be engaging and it worked with the story. And the feeling you get when you can take them down the second time is great. There's game design rooted in this and not just simply cut and paste to do filler. You're missing the point here unless you appreciate games that require high skill.
Reused areas? I don't think you understand good and smart game design. See above.
Useless skills? This is dumb. Their use will vary from player to player. They give a lot so players can experience diff styles. And you can also have more variety in subsequent plays. Each skill also seem to be a bane for a boss/enemy upon closer look. For example the fan wrecks the super fast draw sword guy that can kill you in 2 sec. also great for the monk boss when he vanishes. And the spear is amazing for monkey, firecracker for Bull etc. They reuse bosses to kinda test you and give you that feeling that you've grown once you defeat them a second time. The game has the word twice in its name...
They didn't design the game to be a single play through type of game.

your qualms stem from the fact that you don't really understand what the game is about. It's not your type of game. Simple.

Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing, well deserved. Now if only Isshin would let me kill him. This is the only From game I have yet to beat, I'm right there!.