• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I haven't even played Sekiro yet, but I'm over the moon that FromSoftware won. They've been my favorite developer for almost ten years now.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
6wlo2wjj4d441.png

...saw this on Reddit, thought I'd revel in it a little bit longer before I quit ;)

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Whish I could of played more of it because I was liking parts of it but the awful interface,useless one or 2 time use items,useless starting skills and general where the hell am I going,looks ok over here,oh wait I got spotted and 15 guys coming at me,including wolves and sniper bazookas made me stop playing after 1 Boss and about 5 hours,4 of those being retries with less and less items each time...looked kinda muddy on the Pro as well.

Congrats I guess but RE2,Outer Worlds,the only 2 other games I played on the list would of been my picks...at least I could finish those. ;P

Oct 27, 2017
I voted RE2 but Sekiro is great too so I ain't even mad! From should have won for Bloodborne in 2015 so I'll just see this as their Dicaprio/Scorsese moment.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Was glad to see this win, just need to play it.

Was bummed I couldn't find any digital deals on this or Control on the marketplaces.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was surprised at this winning (I didn't think DS would since they'd given Kojima the directing award already but with the love to Control, RE2 getting so many accolades and Smash being a huge crowd favorite, I figured they were all more likely than Sekiro) but appreciated that in general this year the awards felt like a "real" award show. A number of the winners were relatively unexpected in that they weren't the safest/most mainstream choice. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Saw this on Reddit, god Miyazaki look so happy.

aljfj6zfsc441.jpg

''SEC-EAR-ROW-''
Yikes...
I have to say that is pretty funny. Smart though.
But it's not even really accurate >.>

Seh-kee-roh is better. (No stress on any of the syllable).
There's a rumor that Activision and FromSoft aren't on good terms due to a business mishap on Activision's side that ended up costing FromSoft a lot of money.

If that's true, I could see that as a reason why there'll be no DLC for Sekiro, despite there probably being a substantial demand for more Sekiro.
This rumour was started by Ben Judd, who is notoriously... problematic in many ways, and I would take it with a huge, HUGE grain of salt. In fact I would rather not spread it around.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing the Boss Rush Sekiro mod on PC, fighting Owl Father when the winner was announced. I was so surprised and happy that I let my guard down and died right after they announced it.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reused bosses? Don't see a problem like many. They were tweaked enough to be engaging and it worked with the story. And the feeling you get when you can take them down the second time is great. There's game design rooted in this and not just simply cut and paste to do filler. You're missing the point here unless you appreciate games that require high skill.
Reused areas? I don't think you understand good and smart game design. See above.
Useless skills? This is dumb. Their use will vary from player to player. They give a lot so players can experience diff styles. And you can also have more variety in subsequent plays. Each skill also seem to be a bane for a boss/enemy upon closer look. For example the fan wrecks the super fast draw sword guy that can kill you in 2 sec. also great for the monk boss when he vanishes. And the spear is amazing for monkey, firecracker for Bull etc. They reuse bosses to kinda test you and give you that feeling that you've grown once you defeat them a second time. The game has the word twice in its name...
They didn't design the game to be a single play through type of game.

your qualms stem from the fact that you don't really understand what the game is about. It's not your type of game. Simple.

Yeah, sure, I don't understand Sekiro after finishing it 2 times on PC and 5 times on PS4 with the platinum trophy.
Reused bosses are just that, reused bosses. You fight the drunk guy 3 TIMES.
Reused areas it's not about "good" game design, come on. You came back to Ashina a lot to found just harder enemies and some areas blocked.
And I'm not gonna talk about the useless skills, but if you find that locking the use of all the skills behind 4 or 5 walkthroughs its "good design"...
And it is my type of game, I now how to play it, I know how to beat every boss and I know how to parry like a boss. That doesn't mean that the game doesn't have flaws or poor choices to my taste. If you don't want to see it it's your problem, but the reused bosses and areas en the dumb skill tree progression are facts.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Goat
Finally Miyazaki and FROM deserved it unlike Bloodborne where it's robbed

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sure, I don't understand Sekiro after finishing it 2 times on PC and 5 times on PS4 with the platinum trophy.
Reused areas it's not about "good" game design, come on. You came back to Ashina a lot to found just harder enemies and some areas blocked.
And I'm not gonna talk about the useless skills, but if you find that locking the use of all the skills behind 4 or 5 walkthroughs its "good design"...
And it is my type of game, I now how to play it, I know how to beat every boss and I know how to parry like a boss. That doesn't mean that the game doesn't have flaws or poor choices to my taste. If you don't want to see it it's your problem, but the reused bosses and areas en the dumb skill tree progression are facts.

They certainly re-used a lot of mini-bosses, but tons of games do that, and the fact that they had so many minibosses (generals - multiple types, drunkards, ogres, bulls, catepillars, samauri, armored warrior, snakeyes, headless, warrriors, lance bosses, etc.)

In terms of main bosses, again you had the Horse, Lady B, Genichiro, Guardian Ape, Monkeys, Corrupted Monk [ 2 very different fights], Dragon,
DoH, Father Owl - 2 radically different fights, Emma, Isshin - Two radically different fights

Plus you had the snake and carp encounters level boss encounters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes they re-used bosses and arenas, but if the suggestion is that there was a lack of boss variety or enemy variety, then the point itself is baseless. Particularly given that all the bosses played radically differently and required you to learn different movesets, whereas something like Bloodborne had a lot of different creature designs, but the actual strategy for so many of them (dodge/flank/attack) was very similar. Whereas Sekiro has posture bosses, health bosses, mixed posture-health, puzzle bosses, etc., and bosses had personalized movesets and far more moves to counter.

The overall nature of combat is more complex than Souls and Bloodborne, with parrying playing such a key role and rock/paper/scissors counter mechanism being so prominent. Each of the main bosses also had a more complex moveset of abilities to test that as well.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Just because you can beat a game doesn't mean you can see the design philosophy behind it, which is why you see a ton of cons in it. You beat it seven times?? And bought it twice?? Platinum it twice? Damn, you must really like poorly designed games lol

Nov 2, 2017
The great Keighley has spoken, Sekiro is now your GOTY. Accept this 100% true fact. Purge all heretical thought from your head.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
grats Miyazaki, deserved not only for Sekiro which was incredible, but their whole body of work they've been doin the last decade and for bringing some challenge and patience back to big action games.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i was pretty surprised. This isn't a big game that anybody talks about like God of War/BOTW (which ppl still talk about).

This game came and went within a week. In fairness the other games were all forgettable too. I cant even remember the others in the running

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think Resident Evil 2 is probably my pick for this year, but Sekiro is one of the best games of this generation, so I am quite happy to see it get the nod.

i was pretty surprised. This isn't a big game that anybody talks about like God of War/BOTW (which ppl still talk about).

This game came and went within a week. In fairness the other games were all forgettable too. I cant even remember the others in the running

Lol. What a take.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think Resident Evil 2 is probably my pick for this year, but Sekiro is one of the best games of this generation, so I am quite happy to see it get the nod.
Lol. What a take.
i mean...it IS a niche game. idk what u want from me. I watched this thing with like 5 other ppl and im the only one that knew what Sekiro was.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
i mean...it IS a niche game. idk what u want from me. I watched this thing with like 5 other ppl and im the only one that knew what Sekiro was.

It sold four million copies. If that is niche then VERY few games aren't niche.

Also, claiming that all the other games from this year are "forgettable" is just silly. I mean, maybe that reflects your very specific perspective, which is fine, but it is still quite the take.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017

Awful take lol. This game was talked about forever and did incredibly well, what're you even talking about?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I watched this with five people as well and we all knew what it was. Uh oh, whose anecdotal experience wins here? I'll fight you to the death to find out, Kody who hails from the east coast.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
im sure its a good game. But to think that its not niche...and that its a well known game that ppl are still talking about is just incorrect. If ur not reading about games on a daily basis. U dont know about this game.

and 4 mil is good. for like Splatoon. But a game thats available on PC/Xbox/PS4. thats like 1 percent of ppl that could buy it, did...right?

idk i dont really care. i didn't think calling Sekiro a game that wasn't big or was under the radar was going to be controversial. But then again. its from software. So maybe i shoulda knownt the dark souls ppl are always out in force.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You can't use the classic internet power play of calling people children and expect any of us to believe that you aren't salty.

It's funny, this is their post,
From's worst game gets them their first GotY award, go figure.

Yet this is what we're supposed to get out of it?
Calm down children, no ones salty about anything. My point was, they should have won 3-4 of these already. Seikro is a good game but it's not their best.

Maybe say that in the first place instead of some edgy shit post then calling us children.