• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Done with my first playthrough as well just a bit of optional stuff I wanna do before NG+

pretty happy with the ending. Seen Immortal Severance and Shura not sure if I will watch Purification or wait and see it on NG+.

Return seems like the best ending unless what happens to Kuro is vastly different in Purification

Great game. Wouldn't put it above Bloodborne but not far behind. Game definitely has some areas that a sequel could refine and improve.

Music was a bit of a mixed bag. Has some really great tracks but nothing immediately memorable.

Combat was great. Game certainly feels brutally unforgiving at first with a really steep learning curve but once the combat clicks and you learn how to approach fights it gets a lot easier, still challenging

Last edited:

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for the "spoiler boss" fight apart from the fully upgraded finger tool that stuns him? It's good but mostly for the 3rd phase. Got problems getting that far :)
Spoiler first. You have to keep your hits max two, three if you 100% know you can get them in unless stunned him. Use hooks as many times as you can on the boss, and most of the time try and hit him from the left side.
When you hit him 2-3 always run away to the sides because the unblockable attack is too fast to see coming, but you can always jump it if you'll see it coming. Always stay close and under it

Dec 6, 2017
US
Music was a bit of a mixed bag. Has some really great tracks but nothing immediately memorable.

Oddly enough, this is probably my favorite OST right on par with DS1. It's highly atmospheric and has a bit of that Demon's Souls/DS1 eccentricity back in it.

I also think the addition of constant "exploration music" works really well for this game.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I've died against Lady Butterfly about 25 times at this point.

I have the first section of her fight down pat but God damn, I'm struggling with her in the second half. Any tips on this one?

you don't need the peas at all. Just run around the stage till she snaps her fingers. Be aware of the seeking fire attacks though and hide behind a pillar while holding block

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can somebody just tell me btw, with countless hours in the game there is one thing I always forget to check.

The experience points.

Do the amount of XP needed rise for every Skill Point you earn? Or is it from everyone you use?
I'm fairly certain it rises over time although the actual level you're at doesn't seem(?) to be tracked anywhere. Probably because they don't want players to get bogged down with the thought of stats.

I first noticed this when I was grinding monks in the first zone of Senpou and noticed that I was getting less progress towards the next level with each run. Now I'm at a point where I've gained maybe two levels in the past three hours and neglected to get the deathblow health recovery skill ;__;

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody just tell me btw, with countless hours in the game there is one thing I always forget to check.

The experience points.

Do the amount of XP needed rise for every Skill Point you earn? Or is it from everyone you use?
Each time you earn a skill, the cap goes higher

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017

I have the first section of her fight down pat but God damn, I'm struggling with her in the second half. Any tips on this one?

Should I stock up on
peas?
When she summons adds, i go into full dash until after she shoots them at you, then I resume the normal attack. Dashing is surprisingly useful in a variety of boss encounters. Just don't get too comfortable with it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I did a bunch, yes. Regardless, I'm one of those people who's having a bit of an adjustment period getting one from the old Souls dodge/roll style gameplay.
One thing to note: the HUGE orange spark combined with a resonant "KWONNNNG" sound is not the sign of a good parry. That's the game warning you that the enemy is about to counter you and asking you to be on guard.
What? I beat the game and orange spark definitely means deflect (perfect parry). If you time your block against an attack and orange sparks shoot out, then you've deflected them and it's time to go on the offensive. If the enemy times their block against an attack of yours and orange sparks shoot out, then they've deflected you and they will now go on the offensive, meaning you have to go back on the defensive.

Dec 6, 2017
US

Should I stock up on
peas?

Put a lot of distance between yourself and her when the adds show up. Keep moving in general in that second phase and remember you have unlimited and very fast sprint available. She'll eventually snap her fingers and turn them all into butterfly homing missiles. Put a lot of distance between her and just hide behind a pillar and they'll just crash into that.

Not sure how many people have noticed but if if you need extra emblems, those adds go down with one strike and yield emblems.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What? I beat the game and orange spark definitely means deflect (perfect parry). If you time your block against an attack and orange sparks shoot out, then you've deflected them and it's time to go on the offensive. If the enemy times their block against an attack of yours and orange sparks shoot out, then they've deflected you and they will now go on the offensive, meaning you have to go back on the defensive.

Right. Orange sparks mean parry. But when you strike back and you see a huge orange spark and the "KLONG" noise, that means YOU got parried back.

Oct 25, 2017
Slowly chipping away at this. Came across two new roadblocks in Lady Butterfly and the
Genichiro Ashina

For LB, I can reach her 2nd phase somewhat consistently but I just fall apart with some of her attacks in that phase. I might resort to the cheese method if I can take her down in a few more tries.

I don't even know what to do about GA though, I can deathblow him once but around that point I'm out of gourds. Are there any skills that are helpful against him?
Both require you to learn there moves. I found LB much easier than GA. 2nd phase LB you can just kite the ads around and get behind a pillar when they turn to those light orbs. GA there isn't much you can do but be aggressive the whole time and learn his patterns...it's basically a test of everything you learned up to that point.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I started playing with headphones for the past two nights and the use of quiet sound design here is superb by the way. I barely perceived it even on my rather good soundbar with the volume quite high.

The ambient sounds of the wintery breeze and near-silence with slight creeks on wood etc. are just expertly done to my audio nerd ears.

Unrelated:

I'm so fucking pleased with myself for beating

Snake Eyes Cuntbag in the Depths. Going back later tonight to smack the other one around.

Here's how to deal with those guys. This applies to any enemies that jump. I don't think I've seen that ability mentioned much here. It's so good.

I did this completely accidentally on one of them last night, realized what I had done and was able to perfectly replicate it on the other two going forward. Felt so fucking good and what a great move.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I am at M-village & S-Valley and I still have yet to see the Corrupted Monk, did I missed it? It's not in Senpou despite it looking a lot like a Senpou boss.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Nightjar spamming is definitely a cheese for that fight though. Stunlocking a boss with a single attack is definitely outside of how From would have imagined people would beat the boss.

Not saying not to do it though. Just, you miss out on some of the fight by doing that.

How do you know? And how do you miss some of the fight? The guy asking and me have obviously played the fight enough times to know her moveset. You still have to be aware of that at least to use the nightjar method, you can't just spam it mindlesly, but it works extremely well on her because of the timing of her attacks. You still have to dodge, block, and back off, but you just don't have to do it as often as if you tried fighting her with just regular slashes.

You have no idea how From designed that fight, don't assume that, and don't assume that those who do it are "missing out" on some of the game. So much weird gatekeeping in these games lol.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what you're saying is
If I want to cheese my first playthrough with the mask, I better start stocking up on skill points now
Do you care about trophies? Using that will make it much harder to obtain all skills. I'm on playthrough 4 and i haven't got that trophy yet

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So how many hours you reckon I have left?

I've just killed the crying girl in that creepy village where nothing dies, as well as the Corrupted Monk.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just about everything. it works about 75 percent of the time, but she's still breaking out of the lock. it's gotta be my timing. i've gotten her to phase two twice now and once i get there, she just combos the fuck out of me and it's gg
I get ya. If you do time it right, it should work about 95% of the time. Asap your dodge attack hits, immediately pretty dodge again. So think of it like, just as you land your hit, even if blocked, dodge straight away and attack. Should get her in a loop. Good luck

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Gah, haven't had time to play since Sunday. I can feel the skills I gained from beating the castle boss melting away.

I have been thinking about what I want to do when I get back in, though.
Here's how to deal with those guys. This applies to any enemies that jump. I don't think I've seen that ability mentioned much here. It's so good.

Huh. Didn't know you could even do that.

I haven't had trouble with those guys as I just shuriken them out of the air. Had a lot of practice doing that with Butterfly...

Dec 6, 2017
US
I've never managed to do the anti-air attack. Never even seen the prompt. How does it work?

You simply have to be in the air at the same time as the enemy, it's a OHKO basically if you pull that off no matter what their health or posture is. Easiest enemy to practice it on are those black roosters. If you block them a few times, they eventually jump in the air and stay there for a second or two, really easy to time.

Jumps in general are quite samurai flick-ish in that they're ever so slightly slo-mo-ish to allow for that reaction time.

Fill up about half of their posture meter and then just meet the enemy in mid air. You'll briefly see the red circle letting you know the enemy is ready for the death blow.

Oh wait, is it related to posture damage? I thought it was whenever really? Nevermind what I said above if so TyrantGuardian

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
This game is finally clicking. It's taken a while to unlearn some DS habits, and how much For Honor I play has really diminished the combat of the souls games. But it's super polished and slick, I'm really enjoying it finally.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You shouldn't have to upgrade your attack to deal with them - I sure didn't. If they're the ones right after the first major boss then I believe they took me two consecutive axe attacks to smash.

Oct 25, 2017
Fill up about half of their posture meter and then just meet the enemy in mid air. You'll briefly see the red circle letting you know the enemy is ready for the death blow.
You simply have to be in the air at the same time as the enemy, it's a OHKO basically if you pull that off no matter what their health or posture is. Easiest enemy to practice it on are those black roosters. If you block them a few times, they eventually jump in the air and stay there for a second or two, really easy to time.

Jumps in general are quite samurai flick-ish in that they're ever so slightly slo-mo-ish to allow for that reaction time.

Oh wait, is it related to posture damage? I thought it was whenever really? Nevermind what I said above if so TyrantGuardian

Ah, thanks! I think I tried anti-airing low posture enemies while standing on the ground and full posture enemies while in mid-air but never a combination of both, so that would explain it.

I'm super stuck on the (presumably) final boss because holy shit.

At least I've gotten through the first phase successfully a bunch of times. Not counting the pre-fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.