• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Parry is the answer to almost everything in the game (sadly).

Also, the bull is the worst designed boss in any Soulsborn game to date. So incoherent.

Game gets very easy later on too. Not as easy as Souls-games, but compared to the beginning, it becomes a cakewalk.
Lol wut?

The issue is that you die too quickly for the bosses to effectively teach you anything. The dummy at the beggining doesn't really help either.

The bosses have combo attacks, which is fine for learning to parry in succession, the issue is that when you mess up, you take combo hits for more damage, sometime one combo can kill you.

You aren't really given a good chance to sit down and really look at the boss, look at the combos it has because they are too damgerous early in the game. I only know like three of the drunkards attacks after beating him.
At the point of the drunkard fight tho you should have all the necessary mechanics down and hes there to make sure youre putting it all to practice. You likely are going to die a few times but he isn't doing anything that you shouldnt have already come up against, the black knights in DS1 served this very purpose at an even earlier point in the game. His attacks are pretty slow as well and only come in waves of 2. If youre unsure how to approach you can block those attacks and then retreat to get posture back until you feel comfortable parrying.

Jan 11, 2018
Is the game on the level of From's masterpieces, ie. Dark Souls and Bloodborne? Or closer to Dark Souls 3 (not as good as the previously mentioned games)?

Mechanics are quite a bit better. Atmosphere is slightly weaker but not by much. Everything else else is about even. I'm not finished yet though so we'll see how it ends. But so far it's at least as good, if not better than their best.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Parry is the answer to almost everything in the game (sadly).

Also, the bull is the worst designed boss in any Soulsborn game to date. So incoherent.

Game gets very easy later on too. Not as easy as Souls-games, but compared to the beginning, it becomes a cakewalk.
Then you stray from the beaten path just a little bit and get locked in a room surrounded by fire with a miniboss and a higher tier enemy that can both two shot you with 19 vitality.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

These "main" bosses are such pushovers compared to mini bosses and unnamed tougher enemies like purple ninjas. Turning the deflects in the late game is still where most of my pressure is coming from.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Strangely enough the centipede mini bosses is the most easiest to beat. The moment it does the frenzy multi hit attack, you can just spam the left button/L1 and it will give you the deflects. I posture kill it very quickly.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Just beat GA on my first go. What a thrilling fight, palms were super sweaty. I also thought his second phase was much easier than the first since it's more about posture maintenance than whittling down his health like the first.
Strangely enough the centipede mini bosses is the most easiest to beat. The moment it does the frenzy multi hit attack, you can just spam the left button/L1 and it will give you the deflects. I posture kill it very quickly.
He's also super vulnerable to firecrackers, so that'll also help do him in. I thought I was gonna have Corvian Knight flashbacks until realising how easy he was.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Was I the only one who found parrying the bull the best strategy? His tells are easy to notice.

For whatever reason my first few attempts I wasn't trying to block or parry and was just eating damage thinking I needed to dodge. The visuals make you think like you can't block his attacks even though I actually don't recall him having any unblockables?

Parry/block when he gets close. Get a few hits in when he stops raging. Then run away. Everynow and then throw in a firecracker when it's safe to get some extra hits.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier tonight I peaked, and I will never do anything as cool or impressive again in my life.

I entered action savant mode and managed to beat the corrupted monk at Fountainhead in one try. The third phase especially was so intense.

I'm sure someone is going to come around and say "but that was easy," but I don't care. (._. )

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's possible to shave off at least one full playthrough by uploading/backing up your save just before an important choice, but I think at least 3 are required...though even the trophy experts are still trying to figure some things out!
Could you tell me which choice in as spoiler free a way as possible? :P

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The issue is that you die too quickly for the bosses to effectively teach you anything. The dummy at the beggining doesn't really help either.

The bosses have combo attacks, which is fine for learning to parry in succession, the issue is that when you mess up, you take combo hits for more damage, sometime one combo can kill you.

You aren't really given a good chance to sit down and really look at the boss, look at the combos it has because they are too damgerous early in the game. I only know like three of the drunkards attacks after beating him.

That's entirely dependent on player's skill and tactic.The first time I faced the Drunkard I pretty much just stay back, keep some distance while trying to read his moves.

Of course you won't be able to learn shit if you just charge in there aggressively like a maniac. Just because it's an action game doesn't mean you can't play smart.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll farm some more and get the rest of my upgrades before what I assume is the final boss.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
I believe it's possible to shave off at least one full playthrough by uploading/backing up your save just before an important choice, but I think at least 3 are required...though even the trophy experts are still trying to figure some things out!
It should be possible in 1 if you save-scum the endings, no? You will have to replay a bit of the game, of course.
Could you tell me which choice in as spoiler free a way as possible? :P
The second time you go to the top of Ashina Castle for a major plot event (it should be obvious when you're presented with the choice).

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
MB is the perfect boss to practice your deflecting with. I'm amazed at how good the combat is. I beat her first phase with zero hits. I just can't fucking beat her second phase. Anyone know where I can get snap beans?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really eager to start NG+ only to incorporate more prosthetics and combat arts.

I barely even switched combat arts around for specific enemies and barely used more than the fire cracker and ninja star.

Parrying has literally been my bread and butter but I'm ready to shake up the playstyle with the weapons like the umbrella or poison blade.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
MB is the perfect boss to practice your deflecting with. I'm amazed at how good the combat is. I beat her first phase with zero hits. I just can't fucking beat her second phase. Anyone know where I can get snap beans?
I don't think there's an easy way to get them at that point, but you can just run around for a bit when she summons the phantoms, and then she'll dismiss them.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The tracking/hitbox on some of the guardian ape's moves is pretty shit.
I just beat him, finally. His first phase was hard. I used all my healing gourd charges (7) on his first phase. I thought I was gonna get destroyed round 2 but I did that on my first attempt, it was just time consuming. I ran away from him the entire time except for when he does his squirmy-wormy slide attack, in which case I reverse direction toward him and jump over, land a couple hits, and then back to running away. Time consuming but effective.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. From are ridiculously good at this shit. I really dont understand how their output has stayed this consistent over the past 10 years.

They are by far the most consistently good developers I've seen. Every new idea they come up with nails the balance between improving on previous formula while refreshing to keep it from being stale. The only controversy was Dark Souls 2, but that arguably got better with the second edition.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

If you go on the offense you can actually keep her from doing any of that stuff.

Alternatively you can just run away until they go away. Just make sure to get behind some pillars

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kudos to From for making me physically jolt with some of these fights tho.

Like how people will lean in real life when playing FPS games because idk...you think it's gonna help you beat a boss if you sway to a direction with your character cause you're getting nervous lol.

Been awhile since a video game made me react like that irl.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Where do I get the umbrella? I had to master (If I am being honest, I lucked myself out) deflecting that fast as hell two slash attacks to beat him. I didn't know the umbrella is available at this point.
An npc sells it. The best way to get there imo is to go to the antechamber idol, go back out the window, and jump into the pond below. Explore around the castle side, don't cross the bridge.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm almost done with
The first Genichiro rematch
But I can't find any prosthetic that gives me the feeling of being his "weakness". It feels like all prosthetics are useless in this fight and you're better off not using any, and that just doesn't feel right.

Am I missing something? I'm eventually gonna beat him just through learning all his moves but again, not having a prosthetic or some other tool that gives me a real leg up feels wrong.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Then you stray from the beaten path just a little bit and get locked in a room surrounded by fire with a miniboss and a higher tier enemy that can both two shot you with 19 vitality.
I've tried exploring as much as possible and this is how I found

The Headless. But he destroyed me in seconds. Luckily I was able to get out the cave and get back to the idol before he killed me on resurrection. I felt like I didn't have the tools to fight him yet cause he was doing some weird magic shit

I do like how the game isn't linear in terms of exploration. Like I found the Drunkard way before I found the Owl. I didn't even know the paths connected.

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question: Should I be using the temporary buff items? I'm getting a ton of them, but never know when they're worth using. Actually that kind of goes for a lot of these items.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm getting lucky with like half of the boss fights. Took out the bull because for whatever reason, he got really complacent and then I just stabbed him to death. I still have no idea how to really parry and am getting by with sheer luck. Which I know isn't going to last.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
Well this is incredibly frustrating. Imo dragon rot isn't explained well at all. I thought you spread from using the resurrection mechanic, but no, it's from dying. I've been actively avoiding resurrection only to now find out I just spread the rot to 4 new people at once. Now I have half a mind to start over...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The skill that lets you slice in after throwing a ninja star is the best skill.

Get a couple deflects in and the NPC starts backing up. Throw a ninja star and slice after it and you're back in the dudes face to repeat the pressure. Easy.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm at my wits end with the butterfly lady and Genichiro. I'm not too sure what else to do or what direction to explore.
I killed the Lone Swordsman and opened the abandoned dungeon but the boss in there seems to instant kill.

Any tips on either of these fights and directions to check out? I'm at 12 Vit/2 Attack and I've felt pretty confident so far until these guys.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at my wits end with the butterfly lady and Genichiro. I'm not too sure what else to do or what direction to explore.
I killed the Lone Swordsman and opened the abandoned dungeon but the boss in there seems to instant kill.

Any tips on either of these fights and directions to check out? I'm at 12 Vit/2 Attack and I've felt pretty confident so far until these guys.

Leave that depths for late game. If you need to go somewhere else try making your way up the mountain. But eventually you'll need to come back down to fight Genichiro again to open up certain parts of the main story.

Status
Not open for further replies.