• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat
Genichiro
but I feel no real pride. Got lucky with some of his combos and if anything, it just shows me
that I might not be made for something as precise as this.
I'll keep chugging along but anything I can't cheese will be a rock wall in my progress.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Flu fucked up my body pretty badly and my reflexes are absolutely shot, so no more attempts at
Owl
for a little while. Anyone have any good strategies I can take a look at and try to memorize while I'm healing up? So far I've been just trying to keep moving and avoiding his larger moves and his debuff attacks, but that kind of doesn't give me any good opportunities for actually hitting him.
You can hit him when he attempts to jump of after any of the 2-3 attack strings. IMO the boss is pretty easy if you are aware of the poison/no health debuffs.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Go after Seven Spears first. He's a skill check. Once you learn his moveset and how to counter it, you'll be ready to face the real boss of the Castle. Spears is one of the hardest bosses of the game, period, but once you learn him, you'll have the skills you need to handle most other bosses in the game.
Wait, is Seven Spears the guy on the steps in the reservoir area?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It seems strange that dragon rot is tied to death and not resurrection... wouldn't it make more sense to punish resurrecting than punish death? That would lead to more interesting dilemmas and choices for the player i think :/

It's explained very poorly, but I think I can parse it. The way Emma explains it early in the game, it sounds like dragonrot is caused when someone with the power of resurrection dies without any remaining resurrection energy in their body. When this happens, they still resurrect (represented by respawning) but their body pulls energy from the people around them to sustain their life force, which is what contributes to the Dragonrot spreading.

So yeah, it should be triggered on final death specifically, not resurrection. Resurrection is a power Wolf has inside of him, but when he runs out, his body sucks life force out of other people to bring him back.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
It's really not. I had 6 confetti. I lost in 3 tries almost winning them and using 2 confetti each.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that the particular item is super rare. So basically know I am gonna ignore until end game and beat them to a pulp being OP.

Not really great design

after a certain point in the game, all the vendors sell confetti for 300

tips for beating the headless

you have to be aggressive. get the purple bag that reduces terror or just fight in the dungeon a little for pacifying agent. but you HAVE to beat on them and then run. the first one you encounter near the castle you can cheese by staying on the lower level and beating on and then jumping up when he disappears...the water ones are really weak anyway

tips for beating the shaman

while it looks like they have infinite projectiles... once you rush them and beat on them, they all disappear. all you need to avoid is when he disappears and shows up opposite of you and shoots the beam which you run diagonally away from (while rushing him)

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Flu fucked up my body pretty badly and my reflexes are absolutely shot, so no more attempts at
Owl
for a little while. Anyone have any good strategies I can take a look at and try to memorize while I'm healing up? So far I've been just trying to keep moving and avoiding his larger moves and his debuff attacks, but that kind of doesn't give me any good opportunities for actually hitting him.

Main thing to watch for is when he throws two shurikens as he'll follow up with a jump attack. Super easy to sidestep and hit him. You can hit him for throwing the antiheal thing as well, he typically does a running side slash into it. The attack string that ends with two quick hits has time for a counter strike afterwards too.

I also had issues at first actually doing damage, but just scoping those three or so things was enough to eventually whittle his health enough for his posture to get bad since he almost never stops attacking.

Phase two is mostly the same except when he jumps back he throws poison, so I'd just backstep it (and it gives your posture time to recover), you can still scope out the same moves. He starts to do that focus move that restores his posture but I ignored it and didn't over extend to whittle him down.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
BTW here's a super important mechanic that I don't think the game bothers to explain outside of its loading screens:

When you're guarding your posture recovers very quickly. I didn't find out about this until many hours into the game. Has helped me considerably in several boss fights.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Wait, is Seven Spears the guy on the steps in the reservoir area?

Yeah. He also absolutely crushed me for a long time so I'll join the choir.

Funny thing is, once you take the fear and panic out of encounters is when things start working for me but it's difficult for me to get there seeing how easily you can get crushed and the penalties involved.

When I did beat him though, I was on fire and suddenly was able to parry basically everything he threw at me like a champ.

BTW here's a super important mechanic that I don't think the game bothers to explain outside of its loading screens:

When you're guarding your posture recovers very quickly. I didn't find out about this until many hours into the game. Has helped me considerably in several boss fights.

You're absolutely right. I've done all the training modes several times each and I can't recall it ever mentioning that which is fucking absurd. I only found out maybe yesterday in a loading screen tip.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't find the last Praying Beads. Damn i hope they'll be a complete guide soon

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Dragonrot can be nullified, or at least deminished, right?
From what I've gathered so far you need to give that hand coming out of the jar (forgot the name) a certain amount of those Treasure Carp Scales and buy a certain item, right?

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
I had such a great moment yesterday: After more than two hours fighting LB (and at least an hour the day before) I switched up my strategy and ended up admitting to myself that I had to learn how to parry/deflect and ffs I did! After I got her pattern memorized, the fight became like a fast dance. Enjoyed every second of it.

BUT after defeating LB I went back to the main quest and there I was two minutes later standing in front of the
bull
and thought: WTF really? I couldnt believe it - the next challenge already?! Then "my great moment" happened: I managed to beat him 1st try - what a feeling after the LB struggle. Thats why I love those games. Thank you From - what a game you guys made!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've gathered so far you need to give that hand coming out of the jar (forgot the name) a certain amount of those Treasure Carp Scales and buy a certain item, right?

You can buy the tear items that you use to cure the rot from just about every vendor NPC in the game after you help Emma figure out the cure.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm sure you have to speak with Emma, she'll tell you to get blood smaples from infected, then you can figure the rest out

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
im trying to stay away from spoliers and the discussion about the game, but i have a few questions. Hopefully i can find some answers here without giving to much away :)

1) My unseen aid is now down to 10%. I'm not totally sure what it is.
2) I just got the ability to cure everyone of dragonrot, and return that to normal (which i think was 30%). Should i wait until unseen aid drops to 0% to get the most out of it?
3) I just unlocked the the skill trees for the arm, any top tips for which to start with? Resources are pretty hard to come by, so i don't want to go down the wrong path and be stuck at a boss for ever.

Dec 6, 2017
US
After marveling at the beauty of many of its environments again last night I have to throw out there that I think this may be one of the most aesthetically pleasing games of all time for me.

The whole quiet wintery and autumnal vibe and lighting is ridiculously gorgeous.

im trying to stay away from spoliers and the discussion about the game, but i have a few questions. Hopefully i can find some answers here without giving to much away :)

2) I just got the ability to cure everyone of dragonrot, and return that to normal (which i think was 30%). Should i wait until unseen aid drops to 0% to get the most out of it?
3) I just unlocked the the skill trees for the arm, any top tips for which to start with? Resources are pretty hard to come by, so i don't want to go down the wrong path and be stuck at a boss for ever.

1. The percentage of the chance that you don't lose half your XP and currency upon death.
2. I...don't think so but not sure? I just randomly used it so I could talk to people again regularly, shrug.
3. If you mean the Prosthetic Arts skill tree specifically, I started on the lower half with Grappling Hook attack I believe and quickly got the healing upgrade from there.

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017
I've beaten and loved all previous From games, but at 7 hours in I've stopped enjoying Sekiro. There's stretches of time where things open up, there's a bit of world to explore and you get a steady trickle of progress, but this all goes to shit when the game throws a big roadblock ahead of you in the form of the bosses.

I just fucking hate fighting bosses in this game, and I think it's partly because the level of difficulty is simply tuned too high, and partly just because I dislike the design due to it being almost exclusively focused on parrying.

In previous From games when I die to a boss I'm thinking about what I learned and what I can do differently to improve upon my previous attempt. There is a wide swathe of mechanics and tactics that I can consider. The sort of questions I ask myself are: Which attacks can I dodge and which should I block? How should i adjust my positioning? When and how many hits I can get in on when i have an attack window? Can i adjust my gear or apply some buffs to give me an edge?

In Sekiro when I die to a boss and head back into the arena, the only thing I feel like I have to do differently is get better at learning the parry timing. I'm not engaging any higher-level brain functions, but rather simply hoping that I've bashed my head against the wall long enough so that my fingers learn the appropriate muscle memory.

There's also nothing mechanically interesting or unique about any of the bosses so far. At this stage in Dark Souls 1 I had versed the Taurus Demon, the Moonlight Butterfly, the Gaping Dragon and the Capra Demon. Each of these bosses were completely different and required different approaches. In Sekiro every boss so far just feels like a parry test against a humanoid enemy. You run up to them, wail away fruitlessly for a bit and then wait for them to attack so you can play the parry rhythm game. The parry rhythm game is where you hit L1 in time to the rhythm of the enemies attacks, and if you nail the split second timing you get to hit the boss.

It's just not that engaging or interesting, and paired with the frustration of half of the first set of bosses being literally harder than the final boss of any previous From game, and it just adds up to a not-great experience.

I am in the exact same boat as you. I am enjoying the game, and I intend to finish it, but I feel like I am just trying to train my muscle memory and fast twitch reflexes more than anything else. I just haven't figured out how to get my muscle memory to deflect, Mikiri, or jump from a sweep properly. It's just too fast and I am usually fine with quick reflexes. I am at the
Seven Spears
mini-boss and I know his moves, I know what he does, but I just can't for the life of me deflect properly, Mikiri properly, etc. I am not really learning anything, I am just training my fast twitch reflexes which, for this game, suck. I wish the combat was clicking for me, but 17 hours in, it hasn't yet. I hope it does soon.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
It's really not. I had 6 confetti. I lost in 3 tries almost winning them and using 2 confetti each.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that the particular item is super rare. So basically know I am gonna ignore until end game and beat them to a pulp being OP.

Not really great design

Headless seems harder (I beat the first one with confetti) but I beat the first Sachiman without confetti tho, didn't know it was needed.

Spoiler tag etiquette

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Information
Hey everyone, there's been some complaints about this thread being a minefield of spoilers, so please remember to:

a) use the spoiler tag when appropriate, particularly for mid-game and later, and
b) MARK your spoilers.

Examples of spoiler tag etiquette below:

Worst (seriously, this is useless):
Q:
Hey guys how do I beat (name of late-game boss)? Need tips please
A:
Against (name of late-game boss), it helps to always stay aggressive and parrying a lot, also the flame vent prosthetic tool helps in this fight.
Bad (please avoid):

Q: How do I beat
name of late-game boss? Need tips please

A: Here's how I did it:
Against (name of late-game boss), it helps to always stay aggressive and parrying a lot, also the flame vent prosthetic tool helps in this fight.

Good (please do it like that!):

Q: How do I beat
name of the boss here, need tips please?

A: Here's how I did it:

Thank you for your cooperation, everyone. <3

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

1. Unseen Aid is a statistic that allows you a chance of losing nothing when you die. It's directly correlated to how many NPCs you know who DON'T have the rot.
2. Save your tears and use them when you have a sidequest you need to progress. You can run out of the cure if you're too liberal with using it.
3. Aerial prosthetic skills and the prosthetic follow-up attack are both useful but not hugely required. Don't feel like you need to unlock every skill unless it looks appealing to you.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Unseen Aid from what i gathered is, when you die and that activates, you don't lose half of your exp and money.
For your third, just pick whatever works for you. There is no awesome skill that'll magically make it easier. The game is about learning the game's mechanic than relying on tools. I'd say anything to do with Deathblow is good

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I switched up my strategy and ended up admitting to myself that I had to learn how to parry/deflect and ffs I did! After I got her pattern memorized, the fight became like a fast dance. Enjoyed every second of it.

as i said, instead of bitching or cheesing as soon as people really learn the game, it becomes super fun. it is like a dance with the death, the choreography is insane in this game. it doesn´t do the game justice cheesing through it or do a "one poke and run away" tactic. deflecting and mikiri are crucial and super fun to use. every boss has a "rhythm" you need to apply with parries and mikiri.

the game teaches you the mechanics through the early bosses, Genichiro is the first test if the players learned the lessons correctly.

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, I feel like I have been very careful so far in searching for these. I actually wonder if I have missed an entire branch of areas. Not really sure how to find out (for reference, the previous bosses I have fought were
Snake Eyes, the Bull, and Lady Butterfly
lol yeah man you should 7 or 8 by then.. I have 6 and still haven't kilt LB or GA..

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Took time this fucker.
oqba3sa.png

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda wishing I bought this on PC so I could just cheat my way through brutal parts. I can't even fucking beat Seven Ashina Spears or this Lone guy in the well. If I can't lay a finger on either of these guys then I'm probably going to get stuck on something later and rage quit.

I don't know how anyone is supposed to read an enemies attack when you have less than 10 frames of animation to react to. It doesn't help that the enemies here have that Bloodborne-style of rapid flailing animations that are incomprehensible. Idk, just not feeling this as much as prior games. It's the first one where the difficulty truly sticks out to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the
Guardian Ape
earlier this morning. Got no real problems outside of the first phase.

And then I got into another fight where you deal with two of them at once.

Wtf?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I swear there are tons of enemies and attacks in this game where you can just push deflect as fast as you can and you perfectly deflect everything lol

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to hold L1 or is it enough tap it when the beams hits you? Also can you still parry after the beam hits you?
I haven't tried deflecting it, but run to the side when it's coming. It'll also go through walls so don't bother hiding. Btw there is an item that'll have build up resistance and gets rid of the allienment the enemy hits you with

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to hold L1 or is it enough tap it when the beams hits you? Also can you still parry after the beam hits you?

Just tap it the first time the beam makes contact and you won't have to parry it again. I don't know about parrying it after it starts doing damage, though. Fairly certain it's close to a oneshot in that situation.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sir, if I could beat Genichiro, I can do anything.

Seriously, fuck that dude. That was so damn brutal.
Trust me, he's really nothing compared to some of the other bosses, let alone final boss lol. There is one boss that i found much harder than final boss but i won't say more than that. Spoilers ya know

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
After marveling at the beauty of many of its environments again last night I have to throw out there that I think this may be one of the most aesthetically pleasing games of all time for me.

The whole quiet wintery and autumnal vibe and lighting is ridiculously gorgeous.

i absolutely loved Fountain head and my mind was blown once I dove down to take a swim. Just gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.