• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I did a bunch, yes. Regardless, I'm one of those people who's having a bit of an adjustment period getting one from the old Souls dodge/roll style gameplay.

One thing to note: the HUGE orange spark combined with a resonant "KWONNNNG" sound is not the sign of a good parry. That's the game warning you that the enemy is about to counter you and asking you to be on guard.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
How do I defeat
O'Rin of the water
?

If you want to cheese it:

Hold block for the first two attacks, then use Mortal Draw twice. Run away to a safe distance and repeat the process over and over again. There's no need to time deflections, and Mortal Draw still does damage even when you run out of spirit emblems.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I did a bunch, yes. Regardless, I'm one of those people who's having a bit of an adjustment period getting one from the old Souls dodge/roll style gameplay.

Regarding parrying:

You don't have to hold block, you can just parry out of a neutral stance if you want. Holding block down regenerates your posture though, as in, brings back down your posture damage received during blocks, the huge yellow bar at the bottom.

Only the bright orange flash is an actual deflect/parry, if you don't see that, you're just blocking basically.

Regarding the prayer beads:

Just keep going through the game. You get one at a time per encounter that yields you one and need 4 to upgrade.

Fina1e

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Divine Dragon have the best theme From has ever done? The music is incredible
I think so.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
One thing to note: the HUGE orange spark combined with a resonant "KWONNNNG" sound is not the sign of a good parry. That's the game warning you that the enemy is about to counter you and asking you to be on guard.
Regarding parrying:

You don't have to hold block, you can just parry out of a neutral stance if you want. Holding block down regenerates your posture though, as in, brings back down your posture damage received during blocks, the huge yellow bar at the bottom.

Only the bright orange flash is an actual deflect/parry, if you don't see that, you're just blocking basically.

Regarding the prayer beads:

Just keep going through the game. You get one at a time per encounter that yields you one and need 4 to upgrade.

Cool, thanks. I almost beat this first boss on the second try so I must be instinctively doing something right, just looking for some clarification.

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017
this is my goty no matter what.
So on my first playtrhough i got to mid-game and decided that i had to get better and i restarted.
On my second playthrough i got better i and reached the endgame (final boss) but i still decided that i missed something and that i could have done everything better.
So i started a third playthrough yesterday and i'm now after the
phantom monk
and i have yet to die once (i mean the true death, i resurrected on the spot two or three times). I am so much better at the game now, every boss and mini-boss on my first try so far.
It's so good to learn and play better. Also imho this is the best gameplay From has ever created.
GOTY! I don't even care.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Divine Dragon have the best theme From has ever done? The music is incredible
I think so.
The area just before that has awesome music to it as well. I guess it's meant to be inspired by traditional Japanese music? I'm not an expert

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Seems like you hate to learn the mechanics of the game. Never played a stealth game before?
Stealth is my favourite genre and I've learned the mechanics well enough. Stealth here sucks and the AI is terrible, which makes the slow approach tedious and boring. I'd rather play Tenchu again.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The emphasis on verticality in this game versus prior ones really highlights how inadequate their camera system truly is. I've only ever had fleeting moments at worst in Souls games with regards to the camera. In Sekiro, for fights like TLS, I'm constantly having to be conscious of the camera and backing myself up against a wall. The early section of Senpou for example has these mini pagoda things lining the walkway that break any lock on you have with an enemy who is slightly obscured by it.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I must have got really lucky. I had one revive and two gourds left for form 3, which usually means nothing because he can kill in like 2 hits. BUT my saving grace was I got two Lightning counters in a row and that put a huge dent in his posture, so I was able to pull out the win with some safe shielding and getting in hits when I could.
I got to third form with no gourds and one revive and like a cornered animal i just relentlessly went at him, got very lucky with some lightning dodges, spammed firecrackers and then killed him.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The emphasis on verticality in this game versus prior ones really highlights how inadequate their camera system truly is. I've only ever had fleeting moments at worst in Souls games with regards to the camera. In Sekiro, for fights like TLS, I'm constantly having to be conscious of the camera and backing myself up against a wall. The early section of Senpou for example has these mini pagoda things lining the walkway that break any lock on you have with an enemy who is slightly obscured by it.
One more thing to add is some bosses' area got an edge where you can fall off. You can't regenerate if you die walling falling off a cliff during a boss fight. It's really annoying since if they do a sweep attack, you have to jump just to see you fell and died.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've died against Lady Butterfly about 25 times at this point.

I have the first section of her fight down pat but God damn, I'm struggling with her in the second half. Any tips on this one?

Should I stock up on
peas?

Oct 28, 2017
SERIOUSLY FUCK OFF WITH THE CLOSE SPACE FUCKING AWFUL CAMERA THE GAME EVEN RANDOMLY DECIDES TO STOP LOCKING ON TO THE FUCKING ENEMY BECAUSE THE CAMERA SPAZZES OUT SO MUCH CHRIST

First part of the game that has truly felt like bullshit.

Oct 30, 2017
Sneak in and use the Puppeteer Art on the ninja to the left of the door and you should be able to fight the ninja miniboss with him as an ally. It'll make it a loooooooooot easier.
wow didnt even think of that. I ended up just stealth killing the weak guy and fighting him 1 on 1. Easy to just run wide around him because so many of his attacks leave him open for slashes afterwards

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
wow didnt even think of that. I ended up just stealth killing the weak guy and fighting him 1 on 1. Easy to just run wide around him because so many of his attacks leave him open for slashes afterwards

Yeah, that was how I did it at first. You have no idea how much easier is is to 2-on-1 him, though. Even if the ally doesn't last the entire fight you should still be able to get him close to deathblow #1, lessening the amount of work you need to do significantly.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have the first section of her fight down pat but God damn, I'm struggling with her in the second half. Any tips on this one?

Should I stock up on
peas?
I can make it Super Easy if you want but it'll take the challenge away. Up to you

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
hkQJfef.gif

Where do you find this dude?

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017

Should I stock up on
peas?

no, i mean you can but it's not necessary. You can also run behind a pillar on the other side of the room, fight one or two illusions, if she comes close you just run on the other side again, then she should swap to the stars-like attack, wait behind a pillar so you don't get hit, if she comes close just run and then start to fight her normally again.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, just let me know and if I can't beat in another dozen or so gos, I may resort to it.

(Its crazy because I was feeling all full of myself beating Jizuo my first try)
All you need to is
Dodge and attack. I mean it. Spam it. Dodge and your character animation will be a sweep kinda attack
Not your normal standing attack. If you spam her, she'll never land a single hit. Any phase. I've done it in all play throughs.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure how far you are, but the fight you mentioned isn't even the worst regarding the camera, in terms of dying because of it or just taking unnecessary damage. Thankfully there aren't that many boss fights where this is much of an issue, but those that are? Oh boy...

Sure, just let me know and if I can't beat in another dozen or so gos, I may resort to it.

(Its crazy because I was feeling all full of myself beating Jizuo my first try)

There are two flavors of cheese on this fight: the somewhat mild, and then the over the top, one move way.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Should I stock up on
peas?
Lady Butterfly has a hard time punishing the player when they attack 1-2 times then quickly side dodge out of her follow up. If you stay close to her and keep up a barrage of 1-2 attacks then dodge right, she'll have a hard time landing any of her heavier attacks. When she is up in the air, shuriken arm can knock her down and momentarily stun her allowing you to heal/punish. Her lightning fast zip around attack can be avoided by backpedaling or sprint away from her. The scariest move she has is her spooky summon. I beat her without using any snap seeds or even attacking any of the creepy mist people. You can just run around the outer perimeter of the arena until she turns them into projectiles at which point you can hide behind one of the pillars with your guard up.

Hope that helps.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lady Butterfly has a hard time punishing the player when they attack 1-2 times then quickly side dodge out of her follow up. If you stay close to her and keep up a barrage of 1-2 attacks then dodge right, she'll have a hard time landing any of her heavier attacks. When she is up in the air, shuriken arm can knock her down and momentarily stun her allowing you to heal/punish. Her lightning fast zip around attack can be avoided by backpedaling or sprint away from her. The scariest move she has is her spooky summon. I beat her without using any snap seeds or even attacking any of the creepy mist people. You can just run around the outer perimeter of the arena until she turns them into projectiles at which point you can hide behind one of the pillars with your guard up.

Hope that helps.
That boss can be looped. Very disappointing boss

ced

Oct 27, 2017

Hope that helps.

To add, throw a shrunken at her when she is airborne or on wire, sometimes it knocks her down

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
You know the bridge at the end of the bamboo forest path? Jump off it to the right and swim to the little outcropping that you can climb onto. There's a fake wall there and you can climb up a tunnel to reach that enemy.

He's a dick.

He looks exactly like the
Longswordsman you fight in the hole before Ashina depths

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
i can't beat butterfly. i can't even get the cheesing done correctly. i've been trying for days to kill this woman, have probably infected the entire game at this point, and i am very frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.