• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can't beat butterfly. i can't even get the cheesing done correctly. i've been trying for days to kill this woman, have probably infected the entire game at this point, and i am very frustrated
Spam dodge (left or right) + attack button. The sweep like attack animation and you'll loop her. She won't hit you again

Last edited:

Deleted member 12100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ashina Castle potential spoiler.

Genichiro Ashina is giving me fits in his second phase. I have his first phase down pat and can basically get through it using one gourd, give or take. I've been reversing or dodging his lightning attacks with relative ease too, he just hits so hard, it's basically one perilous screw-up and game over. I feel like "this is it", but then I get demoralized. Gotta walk away for a bit.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017

Genichiro Ashina is giving me fits in his second phase. I have his first phase down pat and can basically get through it using one gourd, give or take. I've been reversing or dodging his lightning attacks with relative ease too, he just hits so hard, it's basically one perilous screw-up and game over. I feel like "this is it", but then I get demoralized. Gotta walk away for a bit.

are you using the firecrackers? You can get a lot of free hits

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't run away from him. Constant attack on him amd when he deflects, he'll either throw consecutive attacks (if you defelct all his attack he might end with an unblockable deflect), jump above your head, or go behind you to do an unblockable sweep. Hope that helps

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Eat sleep Sekiro and repeat

I can't stop thinking of this game lol after blazing bull holy moly did this game open up

It's consuming my lifeee missed gym this entire week cause of it x.x

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So today Lady Butterfly fell (and quite fast), the second meeting with the samurai took place and I discovered the city roofs up to the meditating guy (didn't really try him yet), another temple with a way down up to the second Budda, two extra gadgets for my arm and a lot of shortcuts. Still feels good, but it's opening up to a point where I'm loosing track of where I could still continue.

The old grave for example seems to be a spot where only 1 kinda important person sits but it's not an area that's otherwise going into a new direction. At least not that I've found one.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Just want to reittirate; Sekiro is one of the best game of all time and is straight up Froms second best game. EVER.

For me, personally, it falls a little bit short of Bloodborne's greatness, but I just reached the castle, so it might change. It's an incredible game and I think it's From's best level design yet.

I spend the whole day thinking about the game while at work :(

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've died against Lady Butterfly about 25 times at this point.

I have the first section of her fight down pat but God damn, I'm struggling with her in the second half. Any tips on this one?

Should I stock up on
peas?

When the illusions come out run to the pillars on the far side of the room and just wait. When they get close, run to another pillar. When she snaps and turns them into projectiles shield and stand behind a pillar, you should avoid them all and block any that get past the pillar, just be mindful where Lady Butterfly is.

Other than that, nightjar slash her to death. You can get into a rhythm where you nightjar slash her almost indefinitely. Once you hit her with one, immediately activate it again, and continue. If she rolls away or jumps into the air back off and wait for another opportunity to start it up again.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
i can't beat butterfly. i can't even get the cheesing done correctly. i've been trying for days to kill this woman, have probably infected the entire game at this point, and i am very frustrated

I didn't have luck with the dodge then attack method. Took me about 20 tries but what finally worked flawlessly is exchanging blows and parries, making sure to jump when the kanji comes up and not dodge. When she is in air or on wire use shurikens and you will knock her to ground sometimes. Phase 2 illusions just run around the place until they disappear and either hide behind column when butterflies come or just keep running around. Firecrackers helped some if you are careful.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Beat him last night after being killed by his third phase a few times. The most important thing for this phase is to not overthink it. The vast majority of his moveset and the rhythm at which he moves is almost 100% identical to the first two health bars. The lightning can be countered (I could only pull it off once...) or dodge by jumping laterally. I found that I was getting panicked by his slightly larger moveset and trying to rush through his more basic familiar attacks.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
My gf has been wanting to hang out so much I haven't been able to finish the final boss fight but TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT!!!!!!!!!! Also, I might try and fight the

boss
DEMON OF HATRED

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Damn !! Almost managed to beat the last boss of the purification ending, he was like 2mm of having his posture broken, SHIT !

I'm in NG+1 too. I wonder if the boss is easier in NG.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
When the illusions come out run to the pillars on the far side of the room and just wait. When they get close, run to another pillar. When she snaps and turns them into projectiles shield and stand behind a pillar, you should avoid them all and block any that get past the pillar, just be mindful where Lady Butterfly is.

Other than that, nightjar slash her to death. You can get into a rhythm where you nightjar slash her almost indefinitely. Once you hit her with one, immediately activate it again, and continue. If she rolls away or jumps into the air back off and wait for another opportunity to start it up again.

Nightjar spamming is definitely a cheese for that fight though. Stunlocking a boss with a single attack is definitely outside of how From would have imagined people would beat the boss.

Not saying not to do it though. Just, you miss out on some of the fight by doing that.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Thanks to everyone with the
guardian ape tips
. I was also able to beat the follow-up boss on my first or second try. I still love that design.

The first time I fought the ape, I was completely taken by surprise when the headless body got back up to use the sword. There's something particularly disturbing about headless monsters in fiction to me - and this one has a particularly gross animatino where it looks like he sucks up air through the neckhole and then puts the head back in place to do the scream attack. FROM is grotesquely creative.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to everyone with the
guardian ape tips
. I was also able to beat the follow-up boss on my first or second try. I still love that design.

The first time I fought the ape, I was completely taken by surprise when the headless body got back up to use the sword. There's something particularly disturbing about headless monsters in fiction to me - and this one has a particularly gross animatino where it looks like he sucks up air through the neckhole and then puts the head back in place to do the scream attack. FROM is grotesquely creative.
The animations in this game are ABSURD. From's animations have always been godlike, but they really stepped up their game this time.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The emphasis on verticality in this game versus prior ones really highlights how inadequate their camera system truly is. I've only ever had fleeting moments at worst in Souls games with regards to the camera. In Sekiro, for fights like TLS, I'm constantly having to be conscious of the camera and backing myself up against a wall. The early section of Senpou for example has these mini pagoda things lining the walkway that break any lock on you have with an enemy who is slightly obscured by it.

I'm gonna have nightmares about the tree that's standing in Seven Lances garden, that's for sure!

I've died against Lady Butterfly about 25 times at this point.

I have the first section of her fight down pat but God damn, I'm struggling with her in the second half. Any tips on this one?

Should I stock up on
peas?

No, you don't need them to beat her.

She's pretty good to counter - I tried to be aggressive, attack her whenever possible and if she takes air, just use your shuriken to take her back down. Should she be able to summon her ghosts (won't happen if you stay aggressive), you can hide behind a pillar, once she turns them into projectiles. She spawns always in the same place for round two, so you can just attack her once she's there for a few free hits too.

Cloud_Strife

Nov 23, 2018
Try a mix of jump attack moves and getting behind the boss. For some reason that boss gets confused, otherwise attacked once, if they disappear, run after them and attack. Use shurikens too if you want or the feather tool (forgot name but the one makes you disappear even after getting hit.
She materializes when she attacks. You should try to get a few hits in between deflects, or just before she attacks. If you're getting hit a lot, use the blue sugar consumable to help you out.
Sorry for a boring answer, but git gud at parrying. You could use confetti to increase your damage output, but personally I wasted a bunch on her in a couple of early attempts, and it didn't give me much advantage 'cause I still missed a few of her attacks and would just die. So I'd say just get used to her attack patterns and parry. For perilous attacks, don't dodge, double jump instead to do some posture damage. Maybe use the sugar to slow down your own posture build up. I didn't use any offensive prosthetics, only the mist raven, but I imagine that firecrackers should be able to stun her for a bit, they tend to work well.
learn her patterns, most of her moves are safe to deflect with the exception of one long combo that wrecks my posture if I don't jump back in between the animation. Jump kicks when she goes for sweeps does some good posture damage and is easy to read.
If you want to cheese it:

Hold block for the first two attacks, then use Mortal Draw twice. Run away to a safe distance and repeat the process over and over again. There's no need to time deflections, and Mortal Draw still does damage even when you run out of spirit emblems.

Thanks guys

before speaking to O'Rin throw a ceramic shard at her, then you can go behind and deathblow her
Wow, did not know you can deathblow her by using shard. Thanks for this tip.

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna have nightmares about the tree that's standing in Seven Lances garden, that's for sure!
He's such a jerk and the area you fight him can be super irritating with all the clutter that can break lock on. The first few times I fought him, he kept running up the steps towards the moon view tower and jumping down off the ledge to attack me. I was like, "Is this guy trying to use an Asylum Demon plunging attack on me?".

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Slowly chipping away at this. Came across two new roadblocks in Lady Butterfly and the
Genichiro Ashina

For LB, I can reach her 2nd phase somewhat consistently but I just fall apart with some of her attacks in that phase. I might resort to the cheese method if I can take her down in a few more tries.

I don't even know what to do about GA though, I can deathblow him once but around that point I'm out of gourds. Are there any skills that are helpful against him?

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm explaining the game mechanics to a Dark Souls buddy of mine that hasn't jumped on Sekiro yet, how the game is focused on successful parrying and blocking over dodging and attacking after getting a whiff, and also how you're not depleting the enemy's health bar so much as you're filling their posture meter to stagger them and take them out in one hit...

And he hits me with:
"It's amazing how much the system hasn't really changed from Mike Tyson's Punch Out. It just works."

Holy shit, he's right. From stuffed Punch Out into the Souls formula. I mean it's just like that, except that your basic enemies are Soda Popinski, everything else is Mike Tyson, and there's no Glass Joe equivalent...

Seriously, every time I think I have a handle on this game, some random cannon fodder enemy knocks me to the ground and steals my lunch money...

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
The Sabimaru kinda sucks huh? Doesn't do a lot of damage.

There are enemies in one area, (late-game spoiler) Fountainhead Palace, that just can't deal with the poison. One or two swings of the Sabimaru and they'll not only get poisoned, but they'll stagger too, letting you score a bunch of free hits. Outside of them, I haven't found many good uses for it.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is it just me... but I find this game way more easy then Souls game, mainly due to the bosses isn't as stressfull (aka music isn't hectic and the bosses are humanoid, so far while in souls game they are monsters where you don't really know how they will move).

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm explaining the game mechanics to a Dark Souls buddy of mine that hasn't jumped on Sekiro yet, how the game is focused on successful parrying and blocking over dodging and attacking after getting a whiff, and also how you're not depleting the enemy's health bar so much as you're filling their posture meter to stagger them and take them out in one hit...

And he hits me with:
"It's amazing how much the system hasn't really changed from Mike Tyson's Punch Out. It just works."

Holy shit, he's right. From stuffed Punch Out into the Souls formula. I mean it's just like that, except that your basic enemies are Soda Popinski, everything else is Mike Tyson, and there's no Glass Joe equivalent...

Seriously, every time I think I have a handle on this game, some random cannon fodder enemy knocks me to the ground and steals my lunch money...
Some normal enemies are legit harder than half the bosses. Especially when they're paired up. Thank fuck for stealth kill cheese lol

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't even know what to do about GA though, I can deathblow him once but around that point I'm out of gourds. Are there any skills that are helpful against him?
Nope, you just gotta get used to his patterns and keep deflecting. Once you do, you won't need more than 1-2 gourds tops (or any, really).
Also, once he does his jump slam, don't dodge, deflect and either double jump on him (of he does a slash perilous) or mikiri him (if he does a thrust perilous). You also might want to play very aggressively, stay right next to him and interrupt his bow attacks (slash him when he starts jumping).

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You gotta hit with it a couple times for the poison to build up, yeah. It doesn't do a lot of damage on its own - it would probably be pretty broken if its attacks did a ton of raw damage AND inflicted poison.
yeah this makes sense actually
There are enemies in one area, (late-game spoiler) Fountainhead Palace, that just can't deal with the poison. One or two swings of the Sabimaru and they'll not only get poisoned, but they'll stagger too, letting you score a bunch of free hits. Outside of them, I haven't found many good uses for it.
good to know!

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Any tips for the demon of hatred fight apart from the fully upgraded finger tool that stuns him? It's good but mostly for the 3rd phase. Got problems getting that far :)

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Can somebody just tell me btw, with countless hours in the game there is one thing I always forget to check.

The experience points.

Do the amount of XP needed rise for every Skill Point you earn? Or is it from everyone you use?

Deleted member 12100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Genichiro Ashina

I'm currently stuck on his second phase but in his first, just stay right on him. Keep blockspamming, and he will close the distance to you, and if he fires arrows you can hold down block. Circling to his left when he's in your face can get you can get cheap swipes at his head when you get his hip. Just be ready to dodge his grab or jump-thrust, jump his swiping attack, or Mikiri his stab. The wind-up telegraphs each attack pretty clearly once you've been through the fight a few times. I hold down block during his flurries. One or two hits at a time, don't get greedy. It takes time, but I can get through his first phase with a single gourd, sometimes less.

Status
Not open for further replies.