• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
I get ya. If you do time it right, it should work about 95% of the time. Asap your dodge attack hits, immediately pretty dodge again. So think of it like, just as you land your hit, even if blocked, dodge straight away and attack. Should get her in a loop. Good luck
thanks for your tips, my last run went a lot better. i'll have to try again after work. be on the lookout for an all caps fuck you lady butterfly post one of these days from me 😂

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
One thing I wondered about was if I'm deflecting properly - I'm doing it like I would a parry in Souls in that I'm not pressing any button and then I'll press block to deflect. I'm deflecting (well sometimes!), so obviously I know I'm doing it, but do people hold the button down before/after or do they go back to neutral (pressing nothing) afterwards?

I'm at Ashina Castle and I'm just asking this now >_<

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It took me like, 30 tries to beat the ogre, but then I killed the general in two and got the Horse rider guy in one shot.

The ogre feels out of place because he really doesn't require blocking/deflecting. He's more about sidestepping, like a bloodborne boss.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It took me like, 30 tries to beat the ogre, but then I killed the general in two and got the Horse rider guy in one shot.

The ogre feels out of place because he really doesn't require blocking/deflecting. He's more about sidestepping, like a bloodborne boss.
Did you use your hook at all?

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Sabimaru kinda sucks huh? Doesn't do a lot of damage.
There are enemies in one area, (late-game spoiler) Fountainhead Palace, that just can't deal with the poison. One or two swings of the Sabimaru and they'll not only get poisoned, but they'll stagger too, letting you score a bunch of free hits. Outside of them, I haven't found many good uses for it.
The Snake Eyes bosses are pretty weak to it. It takes a lot of hits to poison them, but once you do they start retching and you can immediately deathblow them (at least, that's what happened when I tried it in NG++).

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
I've died against Lady Butterfly about 25 times at this point.

I have the first section of her fight down pat but God damn, I'm struggling with her in the second half. Any tips on this one?

Should I stock up on
peas?

Here's how I did it.

You get three hits, then you hear the twang, and have to parry her but if you get that down you can finish her pretty easy - providing you're also getting a jump posture attack in on her sweeps.

https://www.twitch.tv/milkvodka/clip/KathishExquisiteWallabySmoocherZ

Can you not embed clips from twitch?

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think the game could've explained certain things or at least hinted? I had no idea blocking reduced posture, or how the anti air death blow worked. I don't even think they were at the traning ground?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
You simply have to be in the air at the same time as the enemy, it's a OHKO basically if you pull that off no matter what their health or posture is. Easiest enemy to practice it on are those black roosters. If you block them a few times, they eventually jump in the air and stay there for a second or two, really easy to time.

Jumps in general are quite samurai flick-ish in that they're ever so slightly slo-mo-ish to allow for that reaction time.

Oh wait, is it related to posture damage? I thought it was whenever really? Nevermind what I said above if so TyrantGuardian

Hm, when I got on to record that clip I was fighting one of them for 5 minutes and the prompt never came up until I dealt some damage to him. I'll keep testing it out.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Did you use your hook at all?

On the ogre? yeah. I didn't feel like it helped a whole lot.

He wasn't a particularly difficult fight, which is why it's weird. He has a very obvious weak point: oil+fire. He also has a very limited moveset with tells. But if one of those grabs get you, it's game over.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the ogre? yeah. I didn't feel like it helped a whole lot.

He wasn't a particularly difficult fight, which is why it's weird. He has a very obvious weak point: oil+fire. He also has a very limited moveset with tells. But if one of those grabs get you, it's game over.
The grab spams are extremely annoying. Easy to read, hate every time i fight this boss. I think humanoid bosses are the best part of Sekiro

Dec 6, 2017
US
The Snake Eyes bosses are pretty weak to it. It takes a lot of hits to poison them, but once you do they start retching and you can immediately deathblow them (at least, that's what happened when I tried it in NG++).

Does poison build up while they block or do they have to be clean hits with the Shi...whatever the fuck the poison prosthetic is called?

Do you guys think the game could've explained certain things or at least hinted? I had no idea blocking reduced posture, or how the anti air death blow worked. I don't even think they were at the traning ground?

The anti-air-death thing is explained sort-of-decently in the text you receive to be able to do it but yeah, I think it then should've been added to the available training list so agreed.

The blocking reducing posture damage should've definitely been in the tutorial. I gladly am totally OCD with From games and read every scrap of text, even the load screens, frantically, so it's been easier for me but yeah agreed. If you're gonna have a training area, don't selectively explain SOME important things and not others.

Hm, when I got on to record that clip I was fighting one of them for 5 minutes and the prompt never came up until I dealt some damage to him. I'll keep testing it out.

It may depend on the enemy. I know when I practiced it on the black roosters, they don't have to take any damage at all whether it's posture or health. Then again...they're fucking roosters and not flying scythe-wielding samurai.

Oct 25, 2017
I also need to give Activision credit for how well they handled the marketing, or at least most of it, didn't watch the last few trailers. It was Bloodborne all over again, but in a more grounded setting.

In Bloodborne, the "twist" didn't come that late at all, the descriptions start mentioning Great Ones as early as Central Yharnam, but so many months of being led to believe it was simply Dark Souls with guns and werewolves made it seem like much longer. And I felt the same here. The game's tagline is "Take Revenge. Restore Your Honor. Kill Ingeniously", and you can actually do all of that as early as your second boss fight. It's really framed as an action game rush to the castle, and after that the game opens up and you have your WELCOME TO SEKIRO moment.

So damn good, and without the marketing leading us to believe the whole story would be about getting the boy back it probably wouldn't have as much impact. I guess there's no point avoinding it now since people just talk about that fight openly, but I was serioulsy shocked to fight Genichiro so early, and I had no idea where the story would go next.

I do wish it got a bit weirder, but it does get weird enough.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The posture thing often shows up in the loading screens, and the anti-air deathblow scroll has the description (though I do wish it were avalable in the training ground, I never got it off so far...).

Dec 6, 2017
US
The posture thing often shows up in the loading screens, and the anti-air deathblow scroll has the description (though I do wish it were avalable in the training ground, I never got it off so far...).

I actually every so often go back to the training ground thinking new shit will unlock but nah.

Unrelated:

I'm buying those mask pieces, hope they're not a waste of money/resources :/

(Don't tell me)

Oct 30, 2017
Is
fountainhead palace
the last area? If so game feels a little short compared the their other games. I feel like im just getting going.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, finally managed to beat the boss of the purification, really great fight, you need to be really agressive. Always run towards him and attack.

Though the trophy for defeated all the bosses doesn't unlock if you "saved scum". So I'm guessing you need to fight all the bosses one the same save file to unlock it right ?

Oct 28, 2017
Any tips for the Lone Swordsman? He's been wrecking me for a good hour now. Parrying him does fuck all but make my posture go down and I can barely touch his vitality.

Can easily say this is the hardest fight so far. Lady Butterfly took a long time, but the fight was easily understandable and always seemed reasonable. This just seems ridiculous.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Cut through 3 bosses last night (Gyoubu, Blazing Bull & a General) and I met Seven Spears.
Is it just me or does the counter for Seven Spears thrust attack have different timing than the other thrust attacks in the game?

I love how your exploration is really rewarded in this game. There are hidden items all over and even some very important ones. I found a prayer bead inside a chest and was shocked.
Also just got the loaded spear. I can't fucking wait to use that

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the ogre grab is... weird. I still have to find the right time to dodge it. Reminds me a bit of the Snake Eyes grab that even dodging back I sometimes get grabbed by that fucker.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT 2| The Incessant Coughing Must Cease

or

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT 2| Seized With Fear, Cover Your Rear

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for the Lone Swordsman? He's been wrecking me for a good hour now. Parrying him does fuck all but make my posture go down and I can barely touch his vitality.

Aggro him, jump back up to surface level, then drop back down and Deathblow him as he's walking back to his normal position. Then try to keep your distance and get chip shots in until his health is about half, then you can start going for the parries to finish it off.

If you can't even chip his vitality, maybe come back after another attack upgrade or two, I dunno.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i am enjoying it much more than Bloodborne, it is subjective but i like everything more about Sekiro from combat to aesthetics.

I agree. I always thought the Soulsborne series was just okay prior to this. Like I understood the following but it just didn't resonate like how Sekiro did. It's my fav game from them by far.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Are the bosses significantly harder in new game plus?
Since I'm tempted to save Demon of Hatred for that. I don't have the patience right now, I want to see the ending!

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah the ogre grab is... weird. I still have to find the right time to dodge it. Reminds me a bit of the Snake Eyes grab that even dodging back I sometimes get grabbed by that fucker.
The best thing with the grab and indeed all the Ogre's other attacks is just to run, rather than dodge. I spent a few tries attempting to sidestep out of the grab before realising that I could sprint away, in a tight circle, and back in again just as quickly - but with much less of a chance of getting magnetised back into the grab.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can easily say this is the hardest fight so far. Lady Butterfly took a long time, but the fight was easily understandable and always seemed reasonable. This just seems ridiculous.
Hit him until the moment he blocks your very first attack. He immediately counters with either sword attack, kick, or jump kick. Dodge and attack again. You can loop him but a bit hard to time. Works on all the types that look like him too

Status
Not open for further replies.