• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Ok... so I miss only the last boss but I can't find it... lol..
I beated DoH and I thoght it was the right way to find Kuro... but looks like a dead way... lol i'm lost! Any tips?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, really wish they kept the original Dragonrot mechanic. I get the streamlining of just using the thing at the idol, and that's fine, they could keep it like it is in the final game, but the unused tutorial prompt implies that NPCs actually died from Dragonrot before. I really wish that was still the case.
Yeah, I can envision a blend of the two where you first have to use pellets, and then eventually you can use the current item at the idol to heal everyone. Though I think it would have just devolved into constant backtracking and making people angry, which is why they probably cut it. And I assume they don't have infinite time to test this out further.

Perhaps in a new iteration of this design we can see them develop it further.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Ok... so I miss only the last boss but I can't find it... lol..
I beated DoH and I thoght it was the right way to find Kuro... but looks like a dead way... lol i'm lost! Any tips?

Listen to what Emma had to say again,and think back to earlier in the game.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Finally had time to play again this weekend after being super busy for a while. Since I'm sure everyone else here is already on their 37th playthrough I'm kinda sketchy about actually reading this thread thoroughly, so sorry if this is a commonly repeated question.

Where's a good place to farm gold? Previously I did it in the area immediately before Butterfly, but I'm a good bit further now. I've got a lot of vendors unlocked and no money at all. Current progress, I assume I'm in the mid-game bits:
I beat Genichiro, Senpou Temple, got past the Gun Fort and just beat the Guardian Ape. I'd like to farm up some cash and buy out all the vendors before I run into another 'get instakilled 47 times and give dragonrot to every vendor while trying to figure out what the devs expect me to do to get past this giant snake' situation.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
found this while browsing sekiro on youtube,
the japanese youtuber took 1000 tries to finish the last boss, there's even 10 hour streams on just finishing the last boss. I can't even last 20 tries , rage quitting and taking a break.
Oh my god :D I don't have that kind of mental stamina, haha.

BUT I made up a bulletproof plan to beat him today, starting right now!

1) Put myself in a physical position where I can concentrate. I went buying some healthy soulfood and drinks just for this battle: Pizza, energy drink, some cold coffee drink with tons of sugar, chocolate milk, beer (Störtebeker Hanseporter, check it out).

2) Relax and breeeeathe! .

3) Banish the bell demon before fighting... ffs!! I forgot to do that after my last farming session and fought the dude with the curse who knows how many times.

Let's go. I'm gonna no-life that shit because I need to play NG+!
Fuck you Isshin! Hesitation is defeat in your arse, sir! Yes, I'm frustrated.
I really love this game, though! :D

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can envision a blend of the two where you first have to use pellets, and then eventually you can use the current item at the idol to heal everyone. Though I think it would have just devolved into constant backtracking and making people angry, which is why they probably cut it. And I assume they don't have infinite time to test this out further.

Perhaps in a new iteration of this design we can see them develop it further.
Maybe have both mechanics, but make the Droplet a bit more rare. Right now you can get enough for like NG, NG+ and NG++ in one playthrough.

Or at least make the quest for creating the cure for Dragonrot a little bit more involved, and if you don't complete the quest, then NPCs start dying. But if you do, it works just like in the final game.

Basically, just have anything to make Dragonrot ask some engagement from the player, right now you don't really have to give a shit at all, even on a first playthrough. It already won't stop you from completing the game or anything anyway, it's a mechanic that only affects people who would want to engage with it in the first place. Like how I got excited that basket man got Dragonrot so I could see his dialogue, and he's not wearing the basket, and even complains about it. It's quite funny.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Where's a good place to farm gold?

At this point, one of the better places is basically the next place you have to visit, in terms of story. To be as vague as possible, the area's initials are
MV
, and you can just go through the area, kill as many enemies as you want without absorbing their Sen, then when you get bored, pop a Wealth Balloon and suck it all in as you run back to the idol.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Currently in the last boss. Even though I've yet to kill it, it's really not that bad. But then again, I was stuck in Hirata's secret boss for HOURS.

Are we going to have an open spoiler thread?

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
If you can beat the boss you have just beaten, then take me at my word here when I say you can beat the rest of the game. It's far from easy, trust me. But he is the biggest wall in this game. Once you beat him, you fully understand the mechanics and what you have to do to beat the rest of the bosses. I've finished the game twice now, and my longest time spent on a boss was the one you just beat. He was the toughest challenge for me personally, more so than the infamous bosses others are mentioning constantly.

Not expecting it to be easy, nor do I want to, but shiiiieeeet...That boss was something else! I do feel like I have a better understanding of what I'm supposed to do in what situation and how to play the game in general. Enjoying the game more since I've beaten that boss.

If only I was this persistent in other aspects of my life!

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is posted already but Lance found a cool thing

Apparently Dragonrot was actually supposed to kill NPCs if you didn't cure them using these unused dragonrot pellets that emma makes, with a sacrifice of your resurrection power. Each NPC needed to be cured seperately, and they even had branching dialogue options regarding it, including vocals. He patched it mostly back into the game

That's really interesting. It implies that resurrective powers would be limited in some way with that mechanic. Otherwise giving it up wouldn't mean anything.

Oct 25, 2017
That's really interesting. It implies that resurrective powers would be limited in some way with that mechanic. Otherwise giving it up wouldn't mean anything.
For people who are really struggling with the game and needing to revive on each boss phase, it could mean having to farm ressurective power after curing Dragonrot.

Which is great, in my opinion, since it actually makes the Jinzo statues and the Soul balloons actually useful. They have no reason to exist in the final game, but this makes sense. You wouldn't just say "fuck it, I'll cure Dragonrot after I pass this hard boss" like you do now, because NPCs would die. You'd have to spend your resurrection to cure the affected NPCs, and then use items to recover that power if you want it to try the boss again.

I can see it getting tedious for people who are having too much trouble with the game, though, so I can see why they'd cut it. Still think they should just keep it anyway. If an NPC dies, that's all the more incentive for a second playthrough.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately all the NPC stories and rewards are pretty underwhelming so I'm not sure I'd care much even if they did die, tbh. Outside of losing out on shop items if memorial mob shopkeepers died, I guess.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
On one hand, it's a real bummer that they removed all of that complexity with Dragonrot from the final version of the game. The extra NPC dialogue, more meaningful items, and an actual consequence to Dragonrot would have made the game more much satisfying. On the other hand, all of that would have made the game a bit more tedious and stressful.

In hindsight, I'm glad they removed it. The extra conversations would have been nice, but having to farm resurrection power and cure each NPC individually would have gotten old real quick; especially if you were having a particularly tough time on a boss.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Just got the shitty ending. Only 1.73% of Xbox players have gotten it so far. Feel like a dick. Great game! Bad ending. Now I need to do it again the right way.

Missed some mini bosses. Specifically multiple Headless. Should I go clean those up now or get them on playthrough 2? Does it matter for all achievements?

My opinion of this shortened version of the game...probably my favorite new IP of this generation. Like Dark Souls 1, I thought the final 1/3rd of the game dropped in quality a bit. Headless is one of the worst bosses in Soulsbourne. Not because he's hard. Because he eats up your inventory. Doesn't feel like the terror bosses belonged. Didn't care for some of the non human enemies sprinkled throughout the last 1/3rd of the game.

Combat is best in class. Better than any Soulsbourne game. Better than anything this gen period.

Overall I feel Miyazaki is still a genius. Changed up the formula quite a bit and still delivered.

In the end, 7 Spears gave me the hardest time. Followed by the final boss. Then the first time learning the Ape. Never hear much about Osin...but I thought she was quite difficult on my first playthrough as well.

I cheesed twice. Once on Snake Eyes down near the poison lake. Got her to poison herself to death. Then Lone Shadow down in that pit where the camera fucks with you. Otherwise think I played the game the right way.

Last edited:

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Missed some mini bosses. Specifically multiple Headless. Should I go clean those up now or get them on playthrough 2? Does it matter for all achievements?

Pretty sure the headless don't matter but one of the purple warriors gives you a limited upgrade item so you would need that for prosthetic upgrades. Also you now need 3 playthroughs total for that achievement :S

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
In a game where bosses can murder you in just two hits, that version of Dragonrot would be a kick in the nuts.
Challenging me to get good is one thing. Punishing me because I wasn't born good is mean-spirited

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
yeah, the Dragonrot mechanic was really a missed opportunity and im not sure if its for better or worse. i do know that - until i realized it was basically useless and Dragon's Blood Droplets were basically infinite during end-game - i was super anxiety ridden about it and it definitely painted how i experienced the game. after that, of course, i literally didnt even waste Droplets until i either 1) killed a boss or 2) reached a specific in-game milestone that felt appropriate to have a clean slate. i didnt even worry about having Unseen Aid at 30% because i swear it never proc'd for me unless i absolutely didnt need it. swimming in exp and sen? say goodbye to half of it. running at 1 exp and 1 sen, 8% Unseen Aid? here, have it 7 times in a row. ridiculous.

anyway! i finally beat the final boss!

i decided to just pop it on this morning after i woke up and mess around ,see if i could pull it off finally. saw a few strategies involving Ichimonji that basically would take you right into the third phase... in fact, would activate ANOTHER phase if you killed Isshin before he pulled the spear out of the ground, which was wild. unfortunately, i couldnt really pull it off.

ended up just trying my old reliable strat, just focusing on masterful parries and striking intelligently without taking crazy risks. on my victory run, i ended up losing my first rez node to Genichiro, said outloud "Well, not off to a great start," but kept it at it. ended up absolutely BODYING Isshin. it was actually my first time getting him to his last phase, which ended up being the easiest part of the fight. catch some lightning, throw it back in his face. even managed a super clutch heal and pulled off a Mikiri Counter at the last possible second which felt awesome.

its such a strange game in that, unlike any of the other Souls games or Bloodborne, when you finally have a successful run (in my experience) its just a matter of everything somehow "clicking" perfectly into place on that single, specific instance. i look back at hte countless times i got wrecked in that - and other - fights and how and why this run in particular just happened to go well, i cant really quantify. just get in that zen shinobi mindset, i guess.

anyway, totally awesome and i think despite my deep and reverential affection for Bloodborne, Sekiro is my favorite FromSoft title so far. despite a couple of missteps and a sort of general "half-baked" feeling, i loved it and i would definitely replay this before any of the others. adore it.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
In a game where bosses can murder you in just two hits, that version of Dragonrot would be a kick in the nuts.
Challenging me to get good is one thing. Punishing me because I wasn't born good is mean-spirited
Dragonrot really is meaningless unless you're trying to avoid losing a lot upon death or trying to progress a side story because that NPC will be temporarily flagged as unavailable. Wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I wouldn't have liked that at all. The dragonrot mechanic already felt like a Dark Souls 2 hollowing type thing that punishes players that are already clearly having trouble. The XP and money thing I get. There are measures you can take to prevent that from hurting you, but dragonrot is a different beast.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the Guardian Ape last night after being out of town for a few days. Good boss, and the most Bloodborne-like boss in the game (at least so far). Reminds me of the Headless Bloodletting Beast and those DLC sharks with the dive/skim attack, but maybe its just because
He's also infested with a worm/centipede type thing.
Anyway I thought the first Phase is very fun and he's got a lot of good attacks. Second phase
a little frustrating at first, I'm never a fan of AOE stuff and frenzy/terror is my least favorite thing From does, but he's actually pretty easy in his second phase if you just keep your distance, jump over his slide attack and wait for his overhead sword attack, as long as you just go for a few hits on each and don't get greedy its actually very easy

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.
Lady Butterfly was the hardest thing in the game for me.

What? So far the bull was the hardest fight for me ( just beated the 4 monkeys... And people say this is the hardest From game🙄. It was interesting though, felt like a Zelda thing) . I think MB was the second true boss, just after the Horse one. Genichiro was amazing and hard too, but I didn't die as much as the Bull.

Well, I'll be leaving this thread. I just beated everything in the Buddhist temple without dying. Feeling pretty good now.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow they still kill me even using that umbrella, lol.

With the umbrella you just want to time your strikes because it won't stagger or interrupt them. When they do the disappear thing just start waddling straight ahead because they'll always be behind you and if you move away they'll never do the grab that your umbrella won't block. The only thing you have to be careful of is your posture can break, you need to normal guard with sword to get it back rapidly.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
With the umbrella you just want to time your strikes because it won't stagger or interrupt them. When they do the disappear thing just start waddling straight ahead because they'll always be behind you and if you move away they'll never do the grab that your umbrella won't block. The only thing you have to be careful of is your posture can break, you need to normal guard with sword to get it back rapidly.
Ok cool, I'll try that

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Dragonrot as originally envisioned would have been way too harsh. However, the current version is... kinda meaningless. I think it's a poorly thought-out mechanic, to be honest (same as the halving of XP/gold on death). Kinda interesting lore-wise but ultimately irrelevant gameplay-wise.

Honestly, the bloodstain mechanic was perfectly fine and I don't know why they went backwards here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Last Boss is too hard, i cant beat him
Believe me, I empathize with you.
For the past 5 days, I have been fighting the last boss and I'm talking 8 to 9 hours each day. I can get to his third phase - but I just cannot get past that third phase yet. I've come close and I know that the best strategy is to stay in close and get a swing or two in while parrying his attacks - it's just that his fucking attacks are so crazy and varied in speed and the timing window on his spear attacks are insane. Plus, it's hard to see his attacks while up close with all that grass flying around 😡.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Honestly, the bloodstain mechanic was perfectly fine and I don't know why they went backwards here.
I think it might've just been another way to make it distinct from Souls.

Dragonrot could've worked better as a tendency or gravelord type thing, as it is it's pointless. You get loads of the items to reset it, and the only time I've done it is when I wanted to advance a questline. When I get the prompt that it's kicked in during boss tries, I'm just like "whatever".

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, the bloodstain mechanic was perfectly fine and I don't know why they went backwards here

I think not having a bloodstain mechanic is a good thing, in all honesty. It works well with the non linear progression: with Souls games, players would die going along a certain path, then head back down that way, before effectively banging their head against a brick wall until they finally figure out how to pass it. On Sekiro, you die somewhere, and you can just go off and do something else.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
For the past 5 days, I have been fighting the last boss and I'm talking 8 to 9 hours each day. I can get to his third phase - but I just cannot get past that third phase yet. I've come close and I know that the best strategy is to stay in close and get a swing or two in while parrying his attacks - it's just that his fucking attacks are so crazy and varied in speed and the timing window on his spear attacks are insane. Plus, it's hard to see his attacks while up close with all that grass flying around 😡.

Quick tip for your last point
run backwards from where the fight starts, there's a bridge and no grass there so the visibility is much better

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Dragonrot as originally envisioned would have been way too harsh. However, the current version is... kinda meaningless. I think it's a poorly thought-out mechanic, to be honest (same as the halving of XP/gold on death). Kinda interesting lore-wise but ultimately irrelevant gameplay-wise.

It's poorly done in this game but I personally don't believe it negatively impacted the experience. It was just completely inconsequential. I'm fine with trying new things, and there is potential to story telling tying to the mechanic, so I hope they try it again in the future.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

What was the original vision? Any link?

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
I've seen that bridge - how far back over the bridge does it go and does it help with the fight aside from visibility due to it being narrow?

The bridge itself is broken and not that long but there's a road leading up to it and that whole area is pretty big (and grass-less). It really helped me in terms of visibility and I didn't feel the space was too narrow to be a hindrance

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

The dragonrot mechanic really felt like something they shoehorned to try and differentiate the game from a Soulsborne game. One of the more confusing design decisions.

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
Last Boss is too hard, i cant beat him

I'm with you guys. Still stuck there. I'll try again in a few hours. Good luck for your next tries.