• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT2| Domo Arigato, Mr. ROBERTOOOOO!!!

Oct 25, 2017
I beat Lady Butterfly on my first attempt. I kind of wonder if i just somehow fluked it the way everyone else talks about her. The guy on the horse gave me a harder time.
How much someone explores beforehand affects it a lot. If you go straight through Hirana Estate soon as you unlock it and nothing else it's going to be significantly harder.

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I had to laugh when I came across the FOURTH fight with drunk mini-boss, absolutely shameless recycling in this game!

He absolutely trashed me several times and I only scraped by using all 10 estus, 3 pellets and a divine grass. How the F. am I getting worse at this game?! lol I killed #2 and 3 first try, I'm literally getting worse!

Ogs

Oct 27, 2017
You guys really having problems getting enough XP ? I had nearly enough by the end of NG+4 (You need to do the game 4 times anyway for all endings if going for the plat, unless your save scumming :P), and at that point some of the enemies around Ashina gave huge amounts of XP, I really didn't have to farm for it at all.

Also whats this about -

Owl putting Genishiro's head next to Ashina? Watched the Shura ending again and yeah, he puts something next to him, but cant see shit? The game seemingly does not want to show a beheaded head at all (Like I thought the final blow on SS would have done).

Oct 25, 2017
I had to laugh when I came across the FOURTH fight with drunk mini-boss, absolutely shameless recycling in this game!

He absolutely trashed me several times and I only scraped by using all 10 estus, 3 pellets and a divine grass. How the F. am I getting worse at this game?! lol I killed #2 and 3 first try, I'm literally getting worse!
He has
an armor the 4th time around, using spear to rip off his armor
would've made his health go down much faster

Jan 11, 2018
After spending some more time with the game and reading this thread, I think my time with the game is nearing its end. I had already accepted based on pre-release chatter that I wouldn't be beating the final boss, and the multitude of people in here saying they've spent days on him just affirms that decision. The more I look at what's left ahead of me though... the less I want to play. I've been having a pretty good time with Sekiro, but I don't really want my experience with the game to end in a rage quit.

DoH, H-less, and Shichimen3 all just sound like the biggest drag ever. I'm probably going to clean up all of the rest of the mini-bosses, then go back to Hirata for my own personal finale.

Oct 26, 2017
part of the fun of the game is realizing that there's a "recommended" order but the game allows you to overcome it anyway

for example, i fought the chained ogre without fire, cause i hadn't gone to hirata yet. i didn't realize you were supposed to use the fire on him, but he wasn't hard for me anyway.
i accessed senpou temple, abandoned dungeon, depths, etc all before fighting genichiro on top of the castle too.

i also fought gyoubu without firecracker cause even though there's that horse mourner guy i had no idea how to get it.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
After spending some more time with the game and reading this thread, I think my time with the game is nearing its end. I had already accepted based on pre-release chatter that I wouldn't be beating the final boss, and the multitude of people in here saying they've spent days on him just affirms that decision. The more I look at what's left ahead of me though... the less I want to play. I've been having a pretty good time with Sekiro, but I don't really want my experience with the game to end in a rage quit.

DoH, H-less, and Shichimen3 all just sound like the biggest drag ever. I'm probably going to clean up all of the rest of the mini-bosses, then go back to Hirata for my own personal finale.
The shichimen warriors are ridiculously easy.

Jan 11, 2018
I just have a supreme disdain for Terror-based enemies. The feeling of having a good run wiped in a matter of seconds by an insta-death status effect is the most demoralizing part of this game. I'll give one of them a shot based on your response, but I do not look forward to it.

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They really are, and I've had trouble with pretty much every boss in the game! Even easy without the mid-air kills. I've seen people use the purple umbrella to lock them down also. They seem way scarier than they because of terror, but it's a non-issue when you learn any of the multiple ways to deal with them.

The worst thing are large orbs, but they never get a chance to use them if you stay on them. Without mid-air kills I attack until they disappear, don't run to where they will be but get halfway, deflect the beam, run in attack until they disappear, rinse and repeat. If they happen to jump, all the better - free kill.

Oct 28, 2017
You can cheese
Seven Spears if you like. Sneak in the house from the side like you did in the beginning of the game, then death blow from behind. Then jump off the stairs to the left. As he starts down the stairs jump and hit him. He’ll stay on the stairs and you are free to jump and hit as you like. If you stay right up against the stairs he should miss you with all attacks unless you jump at a bad time.
Awesome. Thanks! I’ll try that tonight after work.

It's fascinating to me how varied the results are for people's difficulty with bosses in this game. I never got the impression that it was so different in the Souls games. It always seemed like there were consensus picks for which ones were hardest.

For example, Well Guy took me 2 tries. Seven Spears took me at least 30. He was the hardest stopping point in the game, for me, harder than any boss. And not just 30 straight tries. I gave up doing it on my own and consulted YouTube, but couldn't pull off the fight with recommended strategies (fireworks, jumping on his head), either. I gave up on that, and consulted "how to cheese" videos, and couldn't replicate those, either. Eventually, I found my own cheese method (same thing, really, just a different spot). I was happy to run into him again late in the game, thinking I'd thrash him after all that experience, and he still gave me an embarrassing amount of trouble.

We should make a list of all the bosses and mini-bosses, and everyone put a number of tries on each.
Sekiro final boss tries so far - at least 80...

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia

Headless and Shichimen aren't too bad at end game. Have the
purple gourd, lilac umbrella, and easy to purchase divine confetti.

Worse case scenario, you can cheese DoH and the final boss. It's not satisfying, but at least you can shelve the game and say you finished it.

Oct 26, 2017
after playing 18 or so hours, i think the difficulty is exaggerated. i don't think anything is really cheap except for maybe when the camera acts up (like lone shadow longswordsman's tiny room)

the game gives plenty of tools so that you don't have to be a parry god to beat encounters. your prosthetic tools and other consumables are there to help you if you don't want to fight enemies using only your sword...
a gigantic DANGER symbol appears whenever an enemy is about to perform an attack you can't easily block, animations for attacks have readily noticeable telegraphs. every enemy is right-handed so there's not too much to adjust to on that front.
you have candies to boost your stats, you can stealth deathblow most minibosses so you only have to truly earn one deathblow, thrust counter is extremely generous on timing, you can revive yourself in the middle of battle. you are also never too far from an idol.

Apr 4, 2019
I've fought the final boss about ten times now and I'm pretty sure I can do him. I almost killed him a couple of times but some of his unblockable attacks are a little hard to see. Probably the toughest thing about the fight in general is its length.

Jan 14, 2019
Here's a run through him I just did for you, not perfect by any means but hope it gives you some insight to his patterns and how to be more aggressive, note that because it's New Game+++ with no charm and the demon bell there's chip damage on non perfect parry and a big hit to how much posture damage you take and dish out so in a standard new game it's even more effective.
Which upgrade is giving you the fiery sword?

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone having trouble with the quickdraw double slash mini bosses - the magnetic fan wrecks their posture and you take no dmg. I tried it on a whim and totally crushed him post Ashina Burning.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. Just learned about

the optional Owl fight, but I'm beyond the point of return for that. Crap, first fight was a little lackluster... I"m sad

Oct 25, 2017
I just have a supreme disdain for Terror-based enemies. The feeling of having a good run wiped in a matter of seconds by an insta-death status effect is the most demoralizing part of this game. I'll give one of them a shot based on your response, but I do not look forward to it.
It really helps to get the purple gourd from the merchant outside Mibu Village for them.

Oct 25, 2017
These guys are cakewalk. GA’s terror was much more dangerous.

Apr 8, 2018
I left shichimen warriors for late game and absolutely fucking steam rolled them in a super sloppy "who gives a shit" fight. The purple umbrella basically makes everything they do entirely worthless and the mid-air deathblow (which I honestly didn't know was a thing until I did it) makes them even less of a threat. Don't fear them.

MCD

Oct 27, 2017
Owl (1st) is the one boss that I can't be bothered with and just cheese him out.

Owl (Hirata) just defeated after 5th try or so. Used all healing items plus a budda and rice. I could have died and restarted without wasting these items but fuck it, I was in control and I knew I can beat him. This was my first time fighting him since I didn't know about second Hirata in my first playthrough and my second I picked Shura.

Even if I can't beat the final boss in new game ++ at least with this save I got all bosses and I can grind the skills at least but I got faith I can do it.

I will stop for today as I feel I accomplished a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Owl (1st) is the one boss that I can't be bothered with and just cheese him out.

Owl (Hirata) just defeated after 5th try or so. Used all healing items plus a budda and rice. I could have died and restarted without wasting these items but fuck it, I was in control and I knew I can beat him. This was my first time fighting him since I didn't know about second Hirata in my first playthrough and my second I picked Shura.

Even if I can't beat the final boss in new game ++ at least with this save I got all bosses and I can grind the skills at least but I got faith I can do it.

I will stop for today as I feel I accomplished a lot.

Those achievements percentages are much lower than PSN. For example, the first one has 9.6% unlock rate right now.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Almost to the end of NG+2 for ending number three. Skill points just aren't building up the way I thought they would. Gonna have to get serious w/ farming on NG+3. :(

Oct 25, 2017
Made it through Ogre, the miniboss after, and up through the Shinobi Hunter in Hirata in NG + without dying. I could have made it further, but the second spear bro killed me shortly after, the one hiding in the bamboo. I got nervous and tried to run, got stuck in the bamboo, and got lampooned.

Anyway, it's fun how you can just clean up all this stuff in NG + fairly easily. I had pretty much cleaned through all enemies in Hirata without refreshing until that point. I was basically parry killing everything, even with several guys swarming me. Gonna call it quits for today though. But I'm curious to face Lady Butterfly again.

Oct 25, 2017
Made it through Ogre, the miniboss after, and up through the Shinobi Hunter in Hirata in NG + without dying. I could have made it further, but the second spear bro killed me shortly after, the one hiding in the bamboo. I got nervous and tried to run, got stuck in the bamboo, and got lampooned.

Anyway, it's fun how you can just clean up all this stuff in NG + fairly easily. I had pretty much cleaned through all enemies in Hirata without refreshing until that point. Gonna call it quits for today. But I'm curious to face Lady Butterfly again.
Real talk the 2 spear monk guys in that bamboo area are the hardest non-boss encounter in the game for me. I remember having a really rough time with them on my first playthrough because of how buggy stealth killing the first guy was on the stairs. I came back there after NG+ thinking I would wipe the floor with them as revenge and got my ass handed to me for trying to fight them at the same time.

MCD

Oct 27, 2017
How do you cheese the final boss??
I saw a video of a lady who kept running and one striking with mortal draw skill once he jump/plunge on the ground. Takes way too long and didn't work out for me so I did it my way:

Throw oil at the start of every phase - oki flame vent - two hits and he should be on fire. Weaker posture and enough time to weaken him more or heal. The rest is deflect/attack like normal.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I can say that the fan shield might be the most broken prosthetic tool in the game. With the right one you can make jokes out of many of the bosses. Headless Ape? Not a problem anymore and with the Projected Force ability they even have a followup attack that can do quite a bit of posture damage.

Oct 25, 2017
How do you cheese the final boss??
There is a way to prevent his second phase but not his third but the second phase is the hardest for me anyways. You have to keep attacking him like a madman as soon as you do the first death blow. The firecracker is useful for preventing him from entering that phase as well.

Jan 14, 2019
Holy shit I hate
owl
I know you hold block to reduce posture but he doesn’t give me time to use it. I actually got him to 5% on second phase so I know I can do it, but it’s taking me forever. Like Gen did. I block/deflect several hits and still can’t get one slash in. I know what to do, just can’t seem to execute.

Right now one of my biggest obstacles is my trigger finger for blocking hurts from overuse.

Oct 25, 2017
So guys... I could use some directions...

After killing Genichiro I kinda randomly wandered around the world... I killed a few random minibosses and last night I stumbled upon the Guardian Ape which, afaik, is a main boss right?

My main worry about the game is to "main line it" too much and miss random side stuff.

Is there anywhere I should absolutely checkout?

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just cannot believe anyone has beaten DoH. For my sanity, I'm just gonna accept that its all lies and edited footage

It's by a huge margin the boss that's kicking my ass the hardest, I haven't even got to its final phase after more than an hour of tries. The final boss was much much easier to me

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just cannot believe anyone has beaten Demon of Hatred. For my sanity, I'm just gonna accept that its all lies and edited footage

It's by a huge margin the boss that's kicking my ass the hardest, I haven't even got to its final phase after more than an hour of tries. The final boss was much much easier tho me
Flame umbrella is your friend. Just tank the big hits and redirect them for big damage.

I absolutely hated this guy my first time through but just using the umbrella he's actually really fun.