• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Where is the best place to get exp? I have 7 more skills to unlock for the trophy and I feel like it's going to take forever.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, since I've beaten every boss and nearly done with NG+ I'll put up my thoughts for each boss below.

• Gyoubu - I really enjoyed this boss, as he's pretty good as an introduction. It also teaches you that some bosses have weaknesses.
  • Lady Butterfly - She's probably one of my favourite fights in the entire game. Each phase is fantastic, and if you fight her early, she's a good teaching tool to constantly parry and counter attack her to break her posture early on. Her second phase is pretty much the same but with a few more attacks to keep you busy. The story behind the the two is also good.
  • Genichiro - The toughest boss for me in the entire game. He was my wall, and I spent a stupid amount of time on him. He requires a lot of you to beat, and the fact there is three phases in such an early fight makes the player have to endure a possibly longer fight than they've previously had.
  • Folding Screen Monkeys - It's an entertaining gimmick fight, but not much to it. It's probably my least favourite fight in the game.
  • Guardian Ape - I actually really enjoy this fight! I struggle with the first phase more than the second, but overall it's a terrific fight.
  • Double Ape Fight - Like I said before, I really enjoy the original ape fight and I like that the second is somewhat weaker and is easier to kill, but thanks to the arena you're in it makes the fight between the two apes that much harder to move around dodging and baiting attacks. It's a double enemy boss done well!
  • Great Shinobi Owl - I'm not that much of a fan of this fight due to how small the arena is and how limited Owl seems in his attacks for some reason.
  • Owl (Father) - In absolute contrast to his previous fight, this might be one of my favourite boss fights of all time. Every aspect of it is fantastic. Even the second phase is somewhat similar but adds in something new to keep it interesting.
  • Corrupted Monk - I actually liked this fight originally, but the second occurrence of her makes it somewhat less enjoyable for me.
  • Divine Dragon - Probably my favourite gimmick fight in all of the Fromsoft games. It's unique and very visually stunning.
  • Demon of Hatred - Although it feels like a Bloodborne boss, I absolutely loved this fight. Entire about it I'd spectacular, from the actual design to the attacks and to the lore behind him. It's up there with my all time favourites.
  • Emma & Isshin - This was my second toughest fight, and pushed me to my absolute limits of the game. But I still really thought it was a great fight, even though the boss arena was reused once again.
  • Genichiro & Isshin, the Sword Saint - This fight is very fitting for the end of the game. It asks you everything you learned, and pull it off in a four phase fight. I didn't find this boss the ultimate test like others did, as I found other bosses super tough, but it's a special boss in a way that is very fair if you've mastered the combat. /SPOILER]
All in all, it's a fantastic list of bosses if not let down by some repetition in the areas they are set.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Beat Demon of Hatred - fucking finally!!! Managed to get him down mechanically and win. Even then it's still hard because it's easy to make minor slip ups which are costly.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this game is such a huge bummer to me. All previous from software games were goty candidates for me, and this game will most likely struggle to even make my top 10. I am just not having that much fun. Its not bad, but by far the least fun I have ever had with a from game, way behind even dark souls 2. THE Disappointment of 2019 most likely for me.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Where is the best place to get exp? I have 7 more skills to unlock for the trophy and I feel like it's going to take forever.
I've been doing a run from the Outskirts Stairway idol from the look out on the tower, then up the Ogre stairs and all the enemies out there. There's a few worth 1300~ with the others around 680~, don't forget the ninja guy near the Headless sign, you can jump from above over him for a stealth kill, he's an easy 1300~. This is the least boring run to me, but maybe longer overall than the others I use....

There's the purple ninja from just from the Castle idol, the first one inside the roof area, he's 1000+ - very quick run around, but very boring.

The broken bridge idol in FHP has a really quick run on two of the soul-sucking guys (600+) and a spear enemy (1200~), zip on the roof, drop on spear, take other two out, rest. Very quick but a bit boring too.

17 skill points left for me -__-

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this game is such a huge bummer to me. All previous from software games were goty candidates for me, and this game will most likely struggle to even make my top 10. I am just not having that much fun. Its not bad, but by far the least fun I have ever had with a from game, way behind even dark souls 2. THE Disappointment of 2019 most likely for me.

What's not clicking for you?

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Out of interest what would your games of the year be so far?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Very endest of endgame location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqaVsQcwfsY

You can also keep going past those 5 enemies and do the courtyard + bridge. Most of those enemies are also easy to (stealth) kill and the one hiding in the grass up top can be turned around for a deathblow with divine abduction. I did this extended route to keep it from getting too boring. I farmed 30+ skillpoints at this location.

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
What main boss are you near? My choke point was
Genichiro and then when I explored and tried to level up I found minibosses in the reservoir that were difficult and the senpou temple also felt above me although looking back maybe it wasn't. I grinded a bit to up some of my skills and figured a way to beat those minibosses to upgrade my health and had an easier time, but still a challenge with Genichiro

I m near the third boss i guess..

I can go to a guy who's doing magic in the dark and seem impossible right now. There is the headless who look tough. Then the drunk number2 with monkey. A ghost crying lady. And the corrupted monk who i might be able to beat.

They all seem hard for me.. I'm asking a road because the game becomes tedious to me (i dont get why i should beat ennemies and not rush through bosses).
And

I don't to waste time anymore. I spend a lot of time versus the lady butterfly instead of beating the horse rider first...

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Beat [boss at the top of the castle] last night in only 2 tries, but holy MOLY was that a fight! Loved it!

I feel like I did myself a bit of a disservice by completing all of Mibu Village, (most of?) Ashina Depths, and all the up to the Gun Fort beforehand though. Still, a fantastic fight.

Also, having the [ability you get from defeating Mibu end boss] for the initial encounter in Sunken Valley completely sucked the tension out of that situation.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
I got admit im bored of Froms multiple form fights then having start at scratch. It doesn't really encourage the player to learn the phase when you get to the next one and instantly comboed to death and start from stage 1. Also annoying they don't have Niohs skip cutscenes if viewed option this game needs it especially for final boss

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very endest of endgame location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqaVsQcwfsY

You can also keep going past those 5 enemies and do the courtyard + bridge. Most of those enemies are also easy to (stealth) kill and the one hiding in the grass up top can be turned around for a deathblow with divine abduction. I did this extended route to keep it from getting too boring. I farmed 30+ skillpoints at this location.

hey!

that is the place im am using! cool

hehe

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got admit im bored of Froms multiple form fights then having start at scratch. It doesn't really encourage the player to learn the phase when you get to the next one and instantly comboed to death and start from stage 1. Also annoying they don't have Niohs skip cutscenes if viewed option this game needs it especially for final boss

They don't really change that much. Apart from one that gets a compleatly different move set, and another that gets a different enemy the difference between stages is usually the introduction of one or two moves and maybe a status effect on an old attack.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
They don't really change that much. Apart from one that gets a compleatly different move set, and another that gets a different enemy the difference between stages is usually the introduction of one or two moves and maybe a status effect on an old attack.

It's not bad as Dark souls 3 bullshit they pull but I'm really bored of them that and Froms auto tracking grab attacks

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
What's not clicking for you?

Its hard to put into words because it really is a feeling thing. I will just try to illustrate with how I feel about boss fights in dark souls/bloodborne compared to this: In dark souls, whenever I make a mistake and get hit, I often know beforehand. I know when I press the dodge button that it was way to early/the wrong side and I will get hit. I curse on myself and am immediately ready to try again. After learning more and more of its moves and how to dodge them, when I can attack, when I can get a heavy attack in etc. I finally beat the boss and feel great!

Now sekiro: When I try to parry something and get hit instead, I do not have that feeling of knowing exactly what I did wrong. I know I messed up the timing, but it isn't as immediately clear to me what I did wrong. I do not curse on myself but are just confused and frustrated. I begrudgingly try again. This time I am doing great and parrying all its attacks! But then the enemy does a move I have no idea how to counter, I back away, and all the posture damage I did is regenend. That great parrying combo of me becomes useless. It demotivates me instead of pushing me to try again. When I finally beat the boss I feel relieved it is done, not the great feeling of accomplishment I had in the soulsborne games. This results in me not looking forward to the next hard boss, while I loved it in the previous games.

Out of interest what would your games of the year be so far?

Games that came out this year or also counting games that I played for the first time this year? If it is the first it would be resident evil 2 by default because that is the only other 2019 game I played :) If it is the latter my top 3 would be: 3) hitman 2 2) sunset overdrive 1) divinity: original sin 2 (man this game is really, REALLY GOOD!)

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its hard to put into words because it really is a feeling thing. I will just try to illustrate with how I feel about boss fights in dark souls/bloodborne compared to this: In dark souls, whenever I make a mistake and get hit, I often know beforehand. I know when I press the dodge button that it was way to early/the wrong side and I will get hit. I curse on myself and am immediately ready to try again. After learning more and more of its moves and how to dodge them, when I can attack, when I can get a heavy attack in etc. I finally beat the boss and feel great!

Now sekiro: When I try to parry something and get hit instead, I do not have that feeling of knowing exactly what I did wrong. I know I messed up the timing, but it isn't as immediately clear to me what I did wrong. I do not curse on myself but are just confused and frustrated. I begrudgingly try again. This time I am doing great and parrying all its attacks! But then the enemy does a move I have no idea how to counter, I back away, and all the posture damage I did is regenend. That great parrying combo of me becomes useless. It demotivates me instead of pushing me to try again. When I finally beat the boss I feel relieved it is done, not the great feeling of accomplishment I had in the soulsborne games. This results in me not looking forward to the next hard boss, while I loved it in the previous games.

Games that came out this year or also counting games that I played for the first time this year? If it is the first it would be resident evil 2 by default because that is the only other 2019 game I played :) If it is the latter my top 3 would be: 3) hitman 2 2) sunset overdrive 1) divinity: original sin 2 (man this game is really, REALLY GOOD!)

i dont think you should pay attention to the posture bar until the boss it at least 50% or so on its health.

they regenerate it way to fast when they are almost full.

idk man,
i havent finished a from's game before

but sekiro just... im not gonna say "clicked" because i literally kinda hate the game, but i wont let it beat me.

but the game definetely clicked somehow.

im alrady on the final boss, i am kinda running around the world finding new things to kill or collect.

im one bead away of another health upgrade.

Jul 20, 2018

I don't get why the final boss has to repeat the first cutscene but the second one is necessary....

Because it needs to swap between Genichiro and Isshin's character models in a sensible way.

Unless you mean that it would still fade to black then skip the cutsene automatically. Not really sure what Nioh does here. But I'm not sure what that would solve except that you don't have to press a button.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I m near the third boss i guess..

I can go to a guy who's doing magic in the dark and seem impossible right now. There is the headless who look tough. Then the drunk number2 with monkey. A ghost crying lady. And the corrupted monk who i might be able to beat.

They all seem hard for me.. I'm asking a road because the game becomes tedious to me (i dont get why i should beat ennemies and not rush through bosses).
And

I don't to waste time anymore. I spend a lot of time versus the lady butterfly instead of beating the horse rider first...

Don't worry about the Shichimen (guy doing magic in the dark) or Headless. Save them for late/endgame. O'rin (ghost crying lady) is optional, but she drops a prayer bead. She can be cheesed for a deathblow before the battle even starts. From there, you can use the poison dagger prosthetic to poison her and help chip away at her vitality. Due to both her and the Corrupted Monk jumping back so frequently, their posture is difficult to keep up unless you knock their vitality down. For both her and the Corrupted Monk, you could always just run around the arena and wait for an opening to run in for a hit or two and repeat. I was still getting used to the game around this point, and eventually it just "clicked" right before another boss you have access to at this point.

With the Drunkard and monkeys, just kill the monkeys, then let him lose sight of you so you can do a deathblow. It's on you to know how to fight him from there. I just use firecrackers and punish him when he's drinking or poisoning his sword.

Defeating enemies instead of just running past them is good to get money and experience for skill points. Most mini-bosses drop prayer beads that increase your vitality and posture. The key is to go ahead and farm prior to a boss and spend your money on things you need/want, and finish leveling that skill point so you don't end up losing half of it for each death against a boss. For a first playthrough, the enemies and mini-bosses help reinforce the game's mechanics for learning how to fight.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Down to the last boss or two and I'm reflecting back on everything I've seen and done. It's incredible to me that Sekiro somehow managed to exceed my expectations because they were through the roof going into the game, a recipe that often leads to disappointment. I love all of the Souls games, and Bloodborne is my favorite single player game, so the pressure couldn't have been higher for Sekiro to deliver. As usual, the more I dig in to the details of the game; the world, story, lore, secrets... the more I appreciate it and see it for the masterpiece it is. I think a lot of us Souls fans have come to take this level of quality for granted, we almost expect it at this point, but the consistency From has displayed with these games in the past decade is simply remarkable. What a thrilling and unforgettable ride it's been since the early, confusion-filled days of Demon's Souls. They've somehow managed to capture lightning in a bottle multiple times, and I hope the best is yet to come.

I don't collect gaming related items as I generally don't like clutter, but I'll be picking up the Future Press guide for Sekiro as I did with the Souls games and Bloodborne. There's something special to me about a compendium that holds all of the information and small details about these games in one physical place.

Congrats From, you've outdone yourselves yet again.

Its stunning how much they keep improving.

The world design and quality in sekiro is so amazingly consistent. Hardly any rough or unfinished patches.

They've come such a long way since Des/DS1 days.

Sekiro even shows marked tech improvements over BB(which was beautiful in its own right)

TruSpindash

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to beat the final boss last night after spending a few days on it. Partway thought the final phase I said screw it and went through a bunch of the rare healing items I was hoarding. It was the most satisfied I've felt finishing a game since Ninja Gaiden. Really great experience from beginning to end.

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry about the Shichimen (guy doing magic in the dark) or Headless. Save them for late/endgame. O'rin (ghost crying lady) is optional, but she drops a prayer bead. She can be cheesed for a deathblow before the battle even starts. From there, you can use the poison dagger prosthetic to poison her and help chip away at her vitality. Due to both her and the Corrupted Monk jumping back so frequently, their posture is difficult to keep up unless you knock their vitality down. For both her and the Corrupted Monk, you could always just run around the arena and wait for an opening to run in for a hit or two and repeat. I was still getting used to the game around this point, and eventually it just "clicked" right before another boss you have access to at this point.

With the Drunkard and monkeys, just kill the monkeys, then let him lose sight of you so you can do a deathblow. It's on you to know how to fight him from there. I just use firecrackers and punish him when he's drinking or poisoning his sword.

Defeating enemies instead of just running past them is good to get money and experience for skill points. Most mini-bosses drop prayer beads that increase your vitality and posture. The key is to go ahead and farm prior to a boss and spend your money on things you need/want, and finish leveling that skill point so you don't end up losing half of it for each death against a boss. For a first playthrough, the enemies and mini-bosses help reinforce the game's mechanics for learning how to fight.

Thank you. I ll try tomorrow !

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
DoH is done, freeeeeeeeeeedom
42 hours of pain. I didn't think that a from game could challenge me again, but this game did it maybe more than ever. What a game. Miyazaki-san,

Josip Kostic

Banned
Jan 2, 2018

This sums up my feelings pretty well. Especially the lack of awesomeness when overcoming a hard boss that happened in Soulsborne. In Sekiro I just feel relief that I no longer have to fight them. I've managed my way through the game and a week later I still have the last boss left and the last optional boss. The biggest crime is that I don't feel motivated to finish them because either A) I continue a grind and win but not have fun during the process or B) I use one of the cheese tactics on YouTube but then I don't see the point when I have to cheat my way out of gameplay that should be fun to me but isn't.

I think I'm actually uninstalling the game after I write this because I have no idea what I'm getting from this exercise in blind loyalty to a From Software game.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
So I beat yesterday
Owl hirata estate
,so far by far the hardest boss,all attacks did a ton of damage,but the unblockable attack was always OHKO if I miss the counter.But amazing methodic boss fight.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I'm officially done with the game after beating all secret bosses and the game itself. It's a really well crafted game, but towards the end I was a bit tired of it.
I guess one area which is incredibly better realized in Soulsbornes games is replayability due to multiplayer. In Bloodborne I must have had more hours playing chalice dungeons with a friend than on the main game itself.

The final boss by far

To you and all fellow members who answered my question: yes, I agree with that. I cheesed DoH, though, I can't really tell how difficult it is.

Dec 13, 2017
Is there anyway to check how many hours played in-game? I have been playing what feels like non-stop since I was introduced to this game on Saturday. Really did not want to get it, but had a buddy bring it over my place and I could not put it down. That being said, I feel like I did everything all wrong going by what I've read other people do. Pretty much:

As soon as I got to Hirata Estate, I played all the way through. My first boss was Lady Butterfly, who I had read over multiple outlets was supposedly difficult. And she kicked my ass, A LOT. But since then I've fought Gyobou, that Chained Ogre and have destroyed them all on my first try. Right now I'm at the temple and got beat a couple of times by the Armor Knight before beating him. I've fought a ninja shadow at the well and there is a spear dude that I have to fight. Only miniboss I have skipped is I think the Shichimen (sp?) because I was told I needed a lot of confetti and I have none. After Lady Butterfly and Armor Knight, by parry game on point!

Absolutely loving it so far even though I've been talking to other friends about the game too and they're ahead of me, but they've just been like "Well, I guess you could do that".

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there anyway to check how many hours played in-game? I have been playing what feels like non-stop since I was introduced to this game on Saturday. Really did not want to get it, but had a buddy bring it over my place and I could not put it down. That being said, I feel like I did everything all wrong going by what I've read other people do. Pretty much:

As soon as I got to Hirata Estate, I played all the way through. My first boss was Lady Butterfly, who I had read over multiple outlets was supposedly difficult. And she kicked my ass, A LOT. But since then I've fought Gyobou, that Chained Ogre and have destroyed them all on my first try. Right now I'm at the temple and got beat a couple of times by the Armor Knight before beating him. I've fought a ninja shadow at the well and there is a spear dude that I have to fight. Only miniboss I have skipped is I think the Shichimen (sp?) because I was told I needed a lot of confetti and I have none. After Lady Butterfly and Armor Knight, by parry game on point!

Absolutely loving it so far even though I've been talking to other friends about the game too and they're ahead of me, but they've just been like "Well, I guess you could do that".

you can check your time with selecting, Load game instead of continue

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Whats the max number of prayer beads you can acquire in a single Return ending run? My Vitality is 19 and have 2 beads in my inventory.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whats the max number of prayer beads you can acquire in a single Return ending run? My Vitality is 19 and have 2 beads in my inventory.

there is 40 prayer beads total

you are missing the last two

you can miss 2 if you didnt get the

second hirata state

also i mean even if you are going for the return ending, that doesnt mean you cant fullfil the other 2 possible endings

NightMystic

Oct 27, 2017
Just got every achievement and finished my fourth playthrough. I was worried the final boss would be a time sink this time around, but got through in a few tries.

Feels amazing to finally be done. What a fantastic game!

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm officially done with the game after beating all secret bosses and the game itself. It's a really well crafted game, but towards the end I was a bit tired of it.
I guess one area which is incredibly better realized in Soulsbornes games is replayability due to multiplayer. In Bloodborne I must have had more hours playing chalice dungeons with a friend than on the main game itself.

To you and all fellow members who answered my question: yes, I agree with that. I cheesed DoH, though, I can't really tell how difficult it is.

The other two bosses you mentioned are way harder to me than DoH. Hug his crotch, run right toward him as soon as he runs away from you (if you hesitate for a moment, back up and wait out the fire attacks). Deflect the stomp if it's too close or circle around if you can. Malcontent for the last stage. Divine confetti

Jan 10, 2018
The third phase of the last boss is kicking my ass. Not sure what openings I should look for and if it's even possible to block everything that he throws at you. He does a powerful string of like 6-7 attacks which is so hard to react to. I'm using my umbrella sometimes but I get the timing wrong when I counter-attack because he mixes up everything so fast. This is the only boss I've met where it has taken me several days to even get past half of the battle.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i kinda hate there are quests where their resolution is awhole lot of nothing regarding rewards.

but lore wise are very good.

like the feeder and his daughters.

that whole thing is really fucking depressing but i think it was beautiful

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, finished a (no) Kuro's charm + Demon Bell + Shura ending run last night. That was full of suffering. Shout out to O'Rin.

Now I'm doing a NG+3 playthrough in which all I have left for the platinum is the most basic ending and finishing up skills and the prosthetic, and I decided to take it easy with the difficulty modifiers and just relish the whole experience.

This feels like an easy mode, and I'm loving it.

Also, I saw Audition yesterday, and that movie gave a whole new framing to the "it is virtuous to seek out suffering" thing.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thought I'd take a break from xp farming and try DoH for the first time.

Errrr, joke boss? You have one option to get damage in, to become intimate friends with his nutsack, how am I supposed to dodge the steam roller rush? lol - I guess I have to look out for that little red danger sign super-imposed over his flaming RED body a split second before he one-shots me? Great design choice there!

I did nearly did get a deathblow on my 20th-ish try so I suppose that's something, the first dozen or so tries I don't think I lasted 10 seconds.