• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sh0k

Oct 27, 2017
Question regarding the Purification ending

I'm on NG+ and I already did all the requirements for the Purification ending, currently fighting Owl Father in Hirata Estate for the 20th time with no luck, fight is super annoying. Can I continue unlocking the Fountainhead Palace to finish collecting the rest of the Lapis Lazulis I need to complete the Prosthetic upgrades and then come back at a later time and continue fighting Owl Father?

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Question regarding the Purification ending

I'm on NG+ and I already did all the requirements for the Purification ending, currently fighting Owl Father in Hirata Estate for the 20th time with no luck, fight is super annoying. Can I continue unlocking the Fountainhead Palace to finish collecting the rest of the Lapis Lazulis I need to complete the Prosthetic upgrades and then come back at a later time and continue fighting Owl Father?

Pretty sure that at this point you can complete all of FP and come back to win the fight without any problem. If you want to play it safe don't fight the boss at FP

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So what are [end-game] Isshin's parting words? I had Emma talk to me about in NG+, and she said to come back when I had learned... I dunno, something. Couldn't progress further into this dialogue, and NG+3 she doesn't say it. :thonk:

does the confetti give you an general attack boost? or it is specific to some enemies?
Both.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Just beat the corrupted Monk. When I saw the 3 health bars I was like "Okay...this is gonna take a while..." but turns out he's mega parriable in the first two stages, and come last stage I may have spammed firecrackers at him. Super fun fight, but I'm hoping the game ends soon because I think I'm beginning to get tired of it.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I can't parry the final boss's lightning for the life of me. Too much going on.

So what are [end-game] Isshin's parting words? I had Emma talk to me about in NG+, and she said to come back when I had learned... I dunno, something. Couldn't progress further into this dialogue, and NG+3 she doesn't say it. :thonk:

Both.
You have to master a skill tree, then you learn a new one, supposedly.

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently she's there to give you the final skill tree if you didn't already get it from Isshin (via mastering one of the other skill trees).

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I can't parry the final boss's lightning for the life of me. Too much going on.

You have to master a skill tree, then you learn a new one, supposedly.
I wish I could get to the lightning part. It's the phase before I can't last 10 seconds. I wish I could quit because the game makes me mad enough to punch a kitten, but it's so stupidly addictive at the same time.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
In his second phase after the warmup fight, can you not Mikiri Counter his perilous thrust? He keeps doing it and I keep failing the counter.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
I better take a break. I legit was about to throw my controller at the TV.

447320550860390400.gif

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
There's a special one that only unlocks once you speak to Isshin (or Emma after Isshin dies) after acquiring a final skill in any of the other trees.

Or are you saying you already have that?
Another skill tree? Are you serious? :( Anyway I'm pretty sure in NG+ I had at least one final skill in one of the trees... I have 5 skill trees IIRC: Shinobi Arts, Ashina Arts, Prosthetic Arts, Temple Arts, and Mushin Arts. I've had all 5 trees unlocked since NG. Pretty sure I unlocked one of the final skills in NG too, I think it was Shadowrush or Ashina Cross.

Oct 27, 2017
Another skill tree? Are you serious? :( Anyway I'm pretty sure in NG+ I had at least one final skill in one of the trees... I have 5 skill trees IIRC: Shinobi Arts, Ashina Arts, Prosthetic Arts, Temple Arts, and Mushin Arts. I've had all 5 trees unlocked since NG. Pretty sure I unlocked one of the final skills in NG too, I think it was Shadowrush or Ashina Cross.
No it's the mushin arts... Weird that Emma still has that same dialogue since that's all she gives you.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
For those who finished the game, who's harder in your opinion?

Demon of Hatred, Father Owl or Sword Saint Isshin ?

Probably Isshin. Demon of Hatred took longer to learn (2 hours) but I one-shot him in NG+/++/+++. Isshin I beat after 1 hour of attempts, but on NG+ he took another hour to re-kill. I did one-shot him on NG++ though. Owl also took an hour to kill but that was on NG+ where a few of his attacks could 1-shot me from full health with max vitality. I don't feel like I have a very good idea of his actual difficulty. Much like a Souls game they all feel very easy now.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I knew I was having an easier time on my second play through, but it was validated 100% today. I just beat
Genichiro
on my first try, and easily too!! My first time took me over 30 tries, but this time I crushed him. Feels good.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the max number of prayer beads you can acquire in a single Return ending run? My Vitality is 19 and have 2 beads in my inventory.
So I'm at the
bull
and just beat
lady butterfly
this morning. I know this is early game, but how early? How much of the game is this early part/how much is left, if anyone has context?

I just re-started on PC and am now further than I ever got on console and the game at a consistent 60fps has clicked 1000x better than it ever did when I was playing it on console. I'm so hooked.
Like, maybe 15-25%? Depends on how long you spend going through the castle and if you take the time to explore any side paths.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Not very. Off the top of my head I can't think of any really hidden areas or bosses. The only thing is that there are some bosses tucked away in different endings, which can be hard to find for yourself.

The second bell, which has two bosses, one of which has an achievement attached to it and both have prayer beads which are needed for an achievement, is pretty easily missed and requires eavesdropping on multiple stages of NPC behavior.

Oct 25, 2017
Really want to let out a Primal Yell for FINALLY downing Genichiro. But I won't because none of you could hear it. I feel like I have my game back! I can go exploring again! New areas to see! New idiots to die to!

Wasn't even my best run. Low on healing, making a ton of dumb mistakes... I just got INSANELY lucky with a few of the lightning reversals and managed to break his posture super fast. Felt so good. Almost missed the second deathblow prompt I was so shocked (ha!).

This game is good, y'all. I take it back. I take ALL of it back.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
So I was like "I have three beads and I know where one more miniboss is, so let's go there".

I think two hours later, I finally took down that fucking rifle asshole in the poison pool. This is the first enemy I've seen in the game that made me rage. I'm not sure if I'm underleveled or what, but FUCK these things:
- Fuck the fucking tracking grab. Oh, it's a grab I've seen a million times, so let's try to jump and stomp it. Nope, grabs me out of the fucking air 50% of the time. I can back off but then...
- Fuck how fast her (sounds like a her?) posture bar recovers.
- Fuck the amount of damage and posture damage she does on anything that's not a parry.
- Fuck the stupid camera unlocking in the dumbest places.

In the end I got used enough to fighting her that I could pressure her into the corner, then just stand there, attacking once and parrying anything she did in reply over and over until I slowly, VERY FUCKING SLOWLY, built up enough posture damage to deathblow her. And if she did the grab then I had to jump away instead of risking the air grab, losing a ton of posture damage progress in the process. I tried to mitigate the loss by re-engaging with a charged Ichimonji, but that was a bit risky because I was fucked if I misjudged the timing or the spacing, plus it doesn't even seem to do enough posture damage to help that much.

I finally have my four beads, but damn that was frustrating. This miniboss would have been fine if that fucking grab didn't have such a bullshit hitbox.

I think I unlocked yet another area, but I think I'm going to go back to the castle for now.

Last edited:

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Really want to let out a Primal Yell for FINALLY downing Genichiro. But I won't because none of you could hear it. I feel like I have my game back! I can go exploring again! New areas to see! New idiots to die to!

Wasn't even my best run. Low on healing, making a ton of dumb mistakes... I just got INSANELY lucky with a few of the lightning reversals and managed to break his posture super fast. Felt so good. Almost missed the second deathblow prompt I was so shocked (ha!).

This game is good, y'all. I take it back. I take ALL of it back.

Congrats!

Also bested him just the other day

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Took down DoH today. Once I got him down to his last life I was set.

Only the final boss to go now. I've given it a couple attempts so far and got to the spear phase.

I think Butterfly will end up still having been the hardest boss for me, with Gen as second. Interested to see how tough they'll be on a second go-around.

Siegmeyer

Nov 2, 2017
So I was like "I have three beads and I know where one more miniboss is, so let's go there".

I think two hours later, I finally took down that fucking rifle asshole in the poison pool. This is the first enemy I've seen in the game that made me rage. I'm not sure if I'm underleveled or what, but FUCK these things:
- Fuck the fucking tracking grab. Oh, it's a grab I've seen a million times, so let's try to jump and stomp it. Nope, grabs me out of the fucking air 50% of the time. I can back off but then...
- Fuck how fast her (sounds like a her?) posture bar recovers.
- Fuck the amount of damage and posture damage she does on anything that's not a parry.
- Fuck the stupid camera unlocking in the dumbest places.

In the end I got used enough to fighting her that I could pressure her into the corner, then just stand there, attacking once and parrying anything she did in reply over and over until I slowly, VERY FUCKING SLOWLY, built up enough posture damage to deathblow her. And if she did the grab then I had to jump away instead of risking the air grab, losing a ton of posture damage progress in the process. I tried to mitigate the loss by re-engaging with a charged Ichimonji, but that was a bit risky because I was fucked if I misjudged the timing or the spacing, plus it doesn't even seem to do enough posture damage to help that much.

I finally have my four beads, but damn that was frustrating. This miniboss would have been fine if that fucking grab didn't have such a bullshit hitbox.

I think I unlocked yet another area, but I think I'm going to go back to the castle for now.

Jumping is generally for avoiding sweep attacks. While you can sometimes jump some enemies grabs, you're better off trying to dodge at the right time.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Help on
Great Shinobi Owl
please.

I can read most of his movements, and I've almost beaten him twice by just running around and hitting him when there's an opening. But he does this sprint across the floor that hits me before I can block or deflect it to make my running around strategy no longer work. Any tips?

EDIT: Nevermind. Last attempt of the night I finally beat him. I was letting him get too close before I ran away. Whew!

Last edited:

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the last boss after about 30 tries, feels good man. Still one optional boss I think but it sounds like I missed out on my chances for the alternate endings because I did things in the wrong order :/ I guess that's typical From Game though.

Still had a hell of a time with Sekiro!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so after being killed several times by the last phase of the last boss

i realized i was doing something wrong, i was jumping way early to counter him.

the moment i find out about that, he was gone!

my first From's game finished.

is a great fucking game, i hate it, but it is a great game

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
So uh. What do I do against...

Demon of Hatred? Been stuck on him for like 15 minutes now. Barely got one health bar in those 15 minutes haha. I keep trying to deflect but either I miss the timing or you take damage no matter what you do, can't tell which. I tried fighting him like a Bloodborne boss and I got the first lifebar down, but it doesn't feel...right. Like the camera doesn't super behave when I get right up on his crotch so I'm constantly locking on/off to get a feel for him.

His burning attacks are...well, I got no idea how to deal with them.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Alright, I got Demon of Hatred's phase 1 pretty down....but what in the name of Christ is that charge attack he does? It takes my entire health bar and there's so little warning there.

Is there a tell to it that I'm missing?