• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Owl (Father)
NG+2 phase 2, about 80% posture break, and then choked. Wanted to cry, but I'm happy that I can make it this far now when at first it seemed insurmountable. Certain things are still tripping me up, but I'll get it sooner or later. If there is a phase 3, I might snap this disc in half.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Owl (Father)
NG+2 phase 2, about 80% posture break, and then choked. Wanted to cry, but I'm happy that I can make it this far now when at first it seemed insurmountable. Certain things are still tripping me up, but I'll get it sooner or later. If there is a phase 3, I might snap this disc in half.

talking about that guy, why whe can have a wolf familiar?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i got bamboozled twice by the same boss...

first time you behead the ape i thought it was over. then i killed his headless version. i later ventured into the depths and saw him again and thought okay, this shouldn't be so bad. then i deathblowed him and he called his brown friend over

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
At the beginning of the game I also thought they should've had different symbols or different colors for the different perilous attacks, but now I think they are fine with just flashing danger.

Havin different visual indicators would be too much. It'd trivialize perilous attacks since you'd be basically playing DDR with the onscreen warnings. They clearly want you to observe the bosses animation and pay attention and the fights were designed around that.

After a while you realize how blatant the tells for each type of attack are.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017

first time you behead the ape i thought it was over. then i killed his headless version. i later ventured into the depths and saw him again and thought okay, this shouldn't be so bad. then i deathblowed him and he called his brown friend over
Lol! Bamboozled!

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Had the optional endgame boss down to a sliver.. got to his 3th phase for the first time so i paniced a bit. Divine confetti also didnt applied when i used it and i had no healing items left. Surprised i made it that far.
But he should be done soon.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you do this to yourself lol. That trophy isn't going to give you anything!

a sense of pride and accomplishment lol

i'm not ashamed to say i have save scummed to practice on a boss, like trying to kill seven spears without stealthing or taking damage. but i still feel good about it after doing what i set out to do. not gonna begrudge people who use mods to make the game more fun for them either.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
this is something i really hated, i dont know if the symbols are different but there are two types of attacks that trigger it, thrust attacks and sweeps attacks, in one you need to press b and on the other you need to jump.

they should have used another fucking symbol for the sweeps.

but i guess you actually need to learn to read the boss, because the preceding movement of each type of attack is different
My number one challenge in this combat is I can't tell a sweep from a thrust (on most enemies) fast enough to do the right counter. So usually I just try to mikiri and get hit by most slashes.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
My number one challenge in this combat is I can't tell a sweep from a thrust (on most enemies) fast enough to do the right counter. So usually I just try to mikiri and get hit by most slashes.
I think the biggest giveaway is whether they're standing completely still (thrust) or not (sweep).

And maybe it's already obvious, but their weapon can be an indicator as well; if their weapon is pointed towards you it's likely a thrust attack.

One thing I've thought about though ever since perilous attacks were introduced - I think the big, red kanji in the middle of the screen is a bit intrusive. It actually blocks visual parts of the enemy which makes it harder to identify the attack. I would prefer having just the sound effect with no visual indication, honestly.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have finally made it to the end and am fighting
Isshin.

Still can't break through his second phase. Pre-boss encounter is fairly easy, and phase 1 isn't bad either. Phase 2 just kicks it up a notch though, and I'm legit scared of what comes after that. Any tips? I'm also currently playing with with bell demon turned on, but I have no idea how much harder that's making it, if at all. I was able to take down the secret boss with it on in just a few tries, so I thought I'd try this fight too.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning of the game I also thought they should've had different symbols or different colors for the different perilous attacks, but now I think they are fine with just flashing danger.

Havin different visual indicators would be too much. It'd trivialize perilous attacks since you'd be basically playing DDR with the onscreen warnings. They clearly want you to observe the bosses animation and pay attention and the fights were designed around that.

After a while you realize how blatant the tells for each type of attack are.

I always asked myself if there are three different symbols. I couldn't concentrate on the symbol because I always focus on the boss and try to read the next move. Sekiro is the only game where I hold the controller really tight because the fights are so intense.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I have finally made it to the end and am fighting
Isshin.

Still can't break through his second phase. Pre-boss encounter is fairly easy, and phase 1 isn't bad either. Phase 2 just kicks it up a notch though, and I'm legit scared of what comes after that. Any tips? I'm also currently playing with with bell demon turned on, but I have no idea how much harder that's making it, if at all. I was able to take down the secret boss with it on in just a few tries, so I thought I'd try this fight too.

You can bait the thrust (which is incredibly easy to mikiri) by staying just outside of the range of the spear. You can land your own thrust after the mikiri which will deal a good deal of extra posture damage.

If you stick close to him he'll usually jump back with a long spear swipe after a little bit. Dodge forward when he does that and if you use a shuriken + follow up you can score a bunch of free hits.

I found deflecting (not dodging) his jumping overhead very easy and effective and it also lands you a ton of posture damage.

Confetti and Ako's Sugar also help a great deal.

Phase 3 is actually easier since you get opportunities for huge damage if you can land certain counters.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
For those who finished the game, who's harder in your opinion?

Demon of Hatred, Father Owl or Sword Saint Isshin ?

They're all hard, but I had the most trouble with DoH and had no fun with it either. For me it's the worst fight in the game. Father Owl is hard but fun to learn. Once you reach the second bar, you know the victory's in the bag and that's a great feeling. The only downside of the final fight is having to fight Geni each time, otherwise I loved it too. In terms of time spent/trouble I had, it's: 1. DoH, 2. Isshin, 3. Owl. But I had fun with Isshin and Owl, DoH not so much.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I think the biggest giveaway is whether they're standing completely still (thrust) or not (sweep).

And maybe it's already obvious, but their weapon can be an indicator as well; if their weapon is pointed towards you it's likely a thrust attack.

One thing I've thought about though ever since perilous attacks were introduced - I think the big, red kanji in the middle of the screen is a bit intrusive. It actually blocks visual parts of the enemy which makes it harder to identify the attack. I would prefer having just the sound effect with no visual indication, honestly.
Yeah, I think I'm just old and reaction time isn't what it used to be :)

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
They're all hard, but I had the most trouble with DoH and had no fun with it either. For me it's the worst fight in the game. Father Owl is hard but fun to learn. Once you reach the second bar, you know the victory's in the bag and that's a great feeling. The only downside of the final fight is having to fight Geni each time, otherwise I loved it too. In terms of time spent/trouble I had, it's: 1. DoH, 2. Isshin, 3. Owl. But I had fun with Isshin and Owl, DoH not so much.
I pretty much agree with everything here and I'd go one step further and say that
Demon of Hatred
is one of the worst bosses in the game. He isn't fun or challenging, just an annoying 5 minute whack, whack, dodge, chase, repeat sequence. Hell, I killed him on my third go around after I realized just how simple he was. He's a garbage, boring, filler boss with extended vitality. Fuck him!

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Usually on a sweep the enemy's weapon will glint right before they initiate it. Some bosses do have thrust attacks that glint too, so in those cases you can make out the difference by checking which side of their body they are holding their weapon. If it's on their right, it's a thrust, but usually the sweep starts from their left.

Edit - Sorry for the double post. Was trying to copy the quote on my previous reply, but fat fingers on a phone screen screwed that up.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

The poor thing just wanted a mate ;_;
I think they meant to write baboonzled

Thank you, thank y--- hey why are you throwing things at me

I know that feel!

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

It can be tricky to check, but here's another technique; thrust attacks can still be deflected, just not blocked. So you can jump in case it's a sweep, and then go for a deflect in mid-air in case it does end up being a thrust instead. It's still not fool proof and you'll be forfeiting a mikiri counter/jump punish, but it's the safest way to handle the perilous attack mixup.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What are people finding so hard about Demon of Hatred? I'm definitely not trying to be a GIT GUD guy, because 60 hours in and at the last boss, this game has fucking demolished me in a way no other FromSoft game has. Way harder, in my opinion, than Bloodborne or any Dark Souls. That all said, Demon of Hatred was a fun fight that took me about five attempts to really learn, and then another three or four to finish. I certainly wouldn't call it easy, but most of his hits are fairly easy to dodge, and the fight largely remains the same with a few, admittedly punishing, attacks added in later phases. I actually did it with the bell demon turned on, too.

What specifically were you having trouble with, phase or attack wise? By far the hardest for me was his second phase fist slam into a giant lake of fire, especially because they tease you with the rope spear icon that I was never able to get close enough to him to use on that attack specifically. I eventually figured out though that he only does it when he's either a good distance away from you, or right after a charge, and if you immediately start running directly left or right, and NOT diagonally, you can dodge it with a jump that doesn't even have to be timed super well because you'll be close to the edge of where the fire hits anyways.

I went into the demon fight expecting it to be super fucking hard, and not only found it relatively easy to learn, but fun as well. Though it was definitely hard, I don't think it's even in the top three hardest fights in the game. Owl (Father) took me three hours and probably 25-30 attempts if not more. That was a satisfying one to learn, too, but at times very frustrating. There were at least a few times I died on that fight for what i'd say were factors out of my control, such as the camera going completely fucking insane when backed up to a wall or corner. I get that it's my fault for getting backed into a corner, but I don't think it's my fault that FromSoft still has camera issues a decade on from Demon's Souls.

Last edited:

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, so many people in here in NG+++ and beyond. I'm still in NG at the last boss with 60 hours played, and that's not even counting the hours of attempts against the Shura ending bosses that I reloaded my save after killing. And I've been playing damn near every night since release!

Some of you are beasts.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The last boss has almost entirely soured my experience with this game.

Up until then, I was flying high on it. For a minute, I thought I actually might like it more than Demon's Souls, my favorite of these games. Found it such a hard game, but, I managed to overcome almost every other boss eventually. It would take me a while to beat them, but, damnit, I did.

But, even though I've had the game since launch, I still haven't been able to beat this final boss. I've been fighting him for 2 weeks now, and it's just completely crushed the flow of the game for me. I know obviously people have been able to beat him, but, the jump in difficulty is a bit unfair, IMO.

What are you stuck on? We can help!. Any particular phase or move causing trouble?

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Man, so many people in here in NG+++ and beyond. I'm still in NG at the last boss with 60 hours played, and that's not even counting the hours of attempts against the Shura ending bosses that I reloaded my save after killing. And I've been playing damn near every night since release!

Some of you are beasts.

I'm in NG+4 and my first playthrough took about 55 hours. Just depends on how much spare time you got.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I pretty much agree with everything here and I'd go one step further and say that
Demon of Hatred
is one of the worst bosses in the game. He isn't fun or challenging, just an annoying 5 minute whack, whack, dodge, chase, repeat sequence. Hell, I killed him on my third go around after I realized just how simple he was. He's a garbage, boring, filler boss with extended vitality. Fuck him!

Well, you can always just stand there and watch him take his life by himself. That was genuinely more satisfying then killing some of the bosses.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
it's fun how stuff changes depending on the route you take. i never saw that little cutscene again from my first playthrough at ST. also the appearance of those ghostly invaders or whatever they are.

Some of you are beasts.

i stopped at NG++, didn't want to burn out. my first pt was pretty long too. i like to sneak around and triple check every corner. exploring spoiler free is the best part.

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
Whew, finally took down the last boss. I'd say 30-40 legit tries. Only boss I had a LOT of trouble with. You've got to really know all the move sets.

I went through 99% blind with this game, (looked up a few locations to keep the game going) and boy, did I miss a lot of stuff. No umbrella, firecrackers, no NPC quest lines. I'm reading this forum and it's like I didnt play the same game as you guys!

I've done this will all FROMs games, the second time through is like a different game. Are there any other games like this? I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing, but it's certainly unique.

Now playing through with a guide. All those mini bosses that took me so long... so easy! Love it.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
DoH down. Another dirty, undeserved win where I'd just had enough of the grind and used 2 ressurrections, fine snow and divine grass just to keep a bad streak in the 3rd phase going.

I will say, once I'd spent time with this boss that other than the length of the fight, I don't think it's that bad. It can be played very much like a BB boss, which I kind of liked, it made a nice change to be using that dodge button. I felt his moves had obvious tells once you knew them - and that's just down to good old trial and error, like a lot of these bosses. It seems unfair the first time you get to a new phase and get blasted in the face with a new move you've never seen before so couldn't possibly know how to handle, but you persevere and soon phase 1 is a cakewalk and so on...

Fight thoughts:
- Camera issues. We're still locking on to a point of these big bosses that don't really make sense for where your character is standing so the camera is part of the battle. I did get stomped on quite a bit, even though I knew they were coming, but all I can see is his perineum, then out of the corner of my eye a foot about to hit my face. I don't feel that Sekiro's combat benefits from locking OFF too much because there's a lot more you have to do that just dodge, even in a dodgy battle like this.

- Greed. My number one downfall in this fight is greed. You want to get that giant health pool down as fast as possible, so you're going ham on his balls, the AI knows this and reacts accordingly. A few times I did stop short a swing or two to anticipate his next move.

- Steamroller move. I got the hang of jumping or running away from this mostly and didn't cause me too much trouble as I got more practice in and started to recognise a) when it would come, and b) what his body is doing before it - the danger symbol is kind of pointless here because he's fucking glowing red!

- AoE - Totally not a problem when you run not try to jump out of the way. I saw videos where they used the umbrella to get in follow-up damage after the blast. I didn't bother, but did use the umbrella whenever I knew I was too far away to run in and I might get fireballs to the face, or I'd wait them out, then run back in.

- Flame wall in phase 2 - I largely mis-read this and forgot to jump out of the way. Once or twice I think I remembered to pop the umbrella. If you see the tell of his body movement, it should be simple to dodge much like the steamroll.

- Phase 3. I can't say much about phase 3 since as soon as it started I popped the half HP sugar, a divine confetti and used Malcontent 3 times to chain him - did a ton of HP damage and had his posture bar nigh on full. This is of course when I died and had to panic use snow and grass since I was out of the gourd. Risky, but it paid off..... just!
I didn't get the double steamroll, and I either didn't get or survived a mis-timed jump on the big jump/stand/jump 360 swing move he has. I got lucky with RNG basically as phase 3 was just phase 1&2 stuff for me.

Add DoH to Owl (Father), Ape and Corrupted Monk as my favourite bosses.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Lore question:

After you beat the Demon of Hatred, the old woman in Tengu's tower asks Wolf if he knows who the Demon was. In all my games, Wolf said no, even though, well, I figured out easily enough.

Is there any way for Wolf to say that he knew? I've always given him all the booze I had and eavesdropped his conversations with Emma (to get the bell). I also had the info broker tell me about the sculptor leaving the Dilapidated Temple muttering about "flames". In NG, I also got the dialogue about the Malcontent Ring etc. but to my recollection, Wolf still said "no".

I imagine there's a way, because I've seen some footage where Wolf says "Sculptor..." at the start of the fight, though he never did in mine.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lore question:

After you beat the Demon of Hatred, the old woman in Tengu's tower asks Wolf if he knows who the Demon was. In all my games, Wolf said no, even though, well, I figured out easily enough.

Is there any way for Wolf to say that he knew? I've always given him all the booze I had and eavesdropped his conversations with Emma (to get the bell). I also had the info broker tell me about the sculptor leaving the Dilapidated Temple muttering about "flames". In NG, I also got the dialogue about the Malcontent Ring etc. but to my recollection, Wolf still said "no".

I imagine there's a way, because I've seen some footage where Wolf says "Sculptor..." at the start of the fight, though he never did in mine.

i dont really know, but my wolf say yes, so im good!

i didnt do anything out of the ordinary, but i think one trigger conversation is when he says that you will be the one to kill him because he can't put that burden on emma.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the firecrackers are literally in the first area of the game and again in the second one lol

the crow mob is really easy to miss >_> but yeah there are two people who sell the firecrackers.

i looked for them because the guy that is lamenting his horse dead, and i guessed it was a hint to certain boss, and it was!

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
i dont really know, but my wolf say yes, so im good!

i didnt do anything out of the ordinary, but i think one trigger conversation is when he says that you will be the one to kill him because he can't put that burden on emma.
Well shit. Yeah I don't think I ever got that. I found a comment on a wiki that seems to indicate this is indeed the trigger.

Thanks!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I got a new Surface Pro and while the Intel Graphics solution sucks, I still kind of wanna try out Sekiro on it - should I get consistent 30FPS out of it on low resolution, I could see myself playing on the train from time to time or at least when I'm in new game+ should I want to play more then and when atmosphere doesn't matter that much anymore.

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
the firecrackers are literally in the first area of the game and again in the second one lol

I know! I only found 2 Vendors, under the big door in first area, and the guy leaving the castle I think? Also, i didn't even think to look if they sold that type of stuff.

I swear I have no idea how i beat these games. Another funny thing, is I thought

I had to go through the Well where you first woke up to progress. So I fought that dude, went all the the depths, made it Sen Pu Temple, all before fighting Genchiro

i either has no sight or these games have a bad way of showing direction. It's probably me.

Also, I think we need a support group for the last boss. If anyone needs to hear this, yes, you can do it.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I beat Corrupted Monk and Sakura Bull of the Palace. Monk wasn't overly difficulty, but still took me bunch of tries. Sakura bull I killed on the first try.

Progress is slow, but at least I am still progressing.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the last boss is the best boss I've encountered in all my years of gaming. Very difficult, but there's nothing in that fight that can't be countered or, even better, used against him. You have a large arena to fight him, and even a couple of rocks to hide behind to heal, recover posture and use a Buff.

It's interesting that a lot of the mini bosses teach you individual bits and pieces of his moveset. I certainly would have had a much harder time dealing with his first phase if I hadn't learned to fight the two Ashina Elites. The Seven Spears mini bosses also give you a ton of practice.

Also if you are struggling with the length of the fight, Ako's Sugar and Divine Confetti help a ton. They do really make a difference and finishing each phase faster = more gourds for the final phases.

It's interesting that FromSoft final bosses tend to fall on the easy side, serving almost as epilogues to a long journey. But this one is a final test through and through.
I really dislike the pre-fight. The actual boss is hard enough. The thing that happens between them could have just been part of the (non-repeating pls?!) cut-scene and then into the actual boss fight. It feels arbitrary and redundant to previous battle.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What are people finding so hard about Demon of Hatred? I'm definitely not trying to be a GIT GUD guy, because 60 hours in and at the last boss, this game has fucking demolished me in a way no other FromSoft game has. Way harder, in my opinion, than Bloodborne or any Dark Souls. That all said, Demon of Hatred was a fun fight that took me about five attempts to really learn, and then another three or four to finish. I certainly wouldn't call it easy, but most of his hits are fairly easy to dodge, and the fight largely remains the same with a few, admittedly punishing, attacks added in later phases. I actually did it with the bell demon turned on, too.

What specifically were you having trouble with, phase or attack wise? By far the hardest for me was his second phase fist slam into a giant lake of fire, especially because they tease you with the rope spear icon that I was never able to get close enough to him to use on that attack specifically. I eventually figured out though that he only does it when he's either a good distance away from you, or right after a charge, and if you immediately start running directly left or right, and NOT diagonally, you can dodge it with a jump that doesn't even have to be timed super well because you'll be close to the edge of where the fire hits anyways.

I went into the demon fight expecting it to be super fucking hard, and not only found it relatively easy to learn, but fun as well. Though it was definitely hard, I don't think it's even in the top three hardest fights in the game. Owl (Father) took me three hours and probably 25-30 attempts if not more. That was a satisfying one to learn, too, but at times very frustrating. There were at least a few times I died on that fight for what i'd say were factors out of my control, such as the camera going completely fucking insane when backed up to a wall or corner. I get that it's my fault for getting backed into a corner, but I don't think it's my fault that FromSoft still has camera issues a decade on from Demon's Souls.

I found that every phase added some attacks that were hard to get down, like that like of fire you mentioned. Sometimes I could avoid it perfectly, other times I still ended up burned. But pulling yourself towards him turned out to be the best way to deal with the attack.DoH's a pure endurance fight and a few slip-ups can be the end. But most of all I felt like he didn't fit in this game, which is at its best when you get these tense sword clash battles where you can parry/mikiri counter all the time. Guardian Ape is a way better stab at a non-human swordfight.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike the pre-fight. The actual boss is hard enough. The thing that happens between them could have just been part of the (non-repeating pls?!) cut-scene and then into the actual boss fight. It feels arbitrary and redundant to previous battle.

Yea, it was annoying. Felt like a skill check to some extent. Ended up just dunking him in 10 seconds tho.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat
ishin
, Damm that was tough, trick for me was to save shadowrush for 2nd and 3rd phase

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Yea, it was annoying. Felt like a skill check to some extent. Ended up just dunking him in 10 seconds tho.
I wish I could. But it takes me more effort sometimes which means each boss attempt is a crap shoot.

Also people make his spear phase sound easy but the fucking guy never stops swinging long enough to actually hit him. If I try to block/deflect with umbrella he eats through my posture in 5 seconds.