• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I love that so many people just get to know that the hidden tooth is there for you to have THREE lifes every fight/phase available. With a Jinzo statue you have 4 lifes.
And that's just the deeper mechanics that get lost under the surface. People just NOT using the items and tools is one of the main reasons they take 50+ attempts at some bosses. I've been watching streams with players dying and raging while having 5 healing portions left in some runs. I don't understand!

I had 5 Jinzo statues at my disposal when I reached the final boss.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I think my game glitched. I'm beyond
Genichiro
and I have yet to come across an NPC I can get a blood sample from. The only Rot Essence I have is the sculptur, so I have nobody else that's infected. On my first time through the game, two people got rot the first time but not this time. I'm thinking I might need to die more to spread it to other NPCs.
It's possible you got Rot Essence: Timid Maid and if you progress far enough she'll die, I think, and the Rot Essence will disappear from your inventory.

So yeah, you'll just need to die some more. :P

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
As someone else mentioned, the true best tip is to have a good night's sleep and come back the next day refreshed.

On Wednesday night I spent about an hour or so on. Owl Father at Hirata Estate. Had all his moves down but couldn't execute them properly. Was getting frustrated so finished for the night and took him down last night in two tries. As redstreak mentioned above, when I beat him it felt like I had completely learnt all his moves and, more importantly, how to punish them.

You're going to do your shoulder barge and swing? I know you'll follow it up with the firecrackers and so I'll move forward, dodge past you and take a couple of hits.

Doing your big wind up attack? I'll get a hit in, dodge past when you scream and attack.

It's a fantastic feeling when you have that control over a boss!

Also, is there anything like the Dark Souls 3 checklist for main things to do in the areas?

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah, took down endgame optional boss the first try today. Gourds were finished but still had ressurection too.
Besides my sloppiness he was pretty doable.
With that i finished my pt.
Do yall recommend to kill the headless enemies as well?

Anyway took me 71 hours to beat. Minus 20 hours of standing still i did in about 50 hours.

Game was awesome. Definetly goty so far

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If you use the hidden tooth item (doesn't matter which one) before you get killed by the enemy (so when you are low on health) you don't block your resurrections. So you have a small amount of HP left, use the hidden tooth and you can resurrect without blocking your ressurects. You can then use the statue item to get your life back and you have three lives again.

So if you have problem with Guardian Apes second phase for example and you can do the first phase with ease...you have 4 lives. :)

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have they hotfixed corrupted monk so you cant cheese it? I am stuck on that shitty fight again. And i cant stealth attack...

No not fixed and it's also intended. You have to time that shit correctly though. Go on the first tree on the right, immediately jump to the one in the middle and jump as soon as the boss stomps the ground. Immediately go back up, wait a few seconds till she appears invisible and then do it again.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
No not fixed and it's also intended. You have to time that shit correctly though. Go on the first tree on the right, immediately jump to the one in the middle and jump as soon as the boss stomps the ground. Immediately go back up, wait a few seconds till she appears invisible and then do it again.

I am doing that and i have done this fight before the cheese strat. But its not working and i have tried 10 times now.

Edit: lmao weirdly enough it worked directly after i wrote this reply lol

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I've only played Bloodborne (although I think I own all the Souls games digitally, lol), but yeah, that was not my favorite. I remember the run to The Shadows of Yharnam being pretty annoying, even if avoiding all the enemies along the way was no problem.

From a player's standpoint I can't understand why devs don't make retrying as painless as possible, especially in challenging games. In any game that kills me a lot, my #1 priority is to jump back into the action and figure out exactly where I went wrong. Any significant gap between dying and trying again is supremely irritating.

I can't tell you what their intentions are specifically but I do think this design does add some weight to the ultimate win. I'm not a big fan of the idea of just resetting the boss' HP to 100% every time you die because that makes me completely indifferent to the concept of failing. I won't really care if I die or fail since I'll just reset within a second if I do.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Divine dragon down. Got "spoiled" of that bosses name and thought it was perhaps the last boss. But lol no, It was probably the easiest boss so far,.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What happens if i give the charm back to Kuro?

I believe attacks will no longer do chip damage on block, and you also lose the increased XP and Sen yield from defeating enemies.

Not that it would matter too much. I have 40 heavy coin purses and 6 bulging coin purses in my inventory so it's I'm all set for Sen.

Having the charm on feels good though. Got used to it so I don't think I'll be deactivating it anytime soon.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I believe attacks will no longer do chip damage on block, and you also lose the increased XP and Sen yield from defeating enemies.

Not that it would matter too much. I have 40 heavy coin purses and 6 bulging coin purses in my inventory so it's I'm all set for Sen.

Having the charm on feels good though. Got used to it so I don't think I'll be deactivating it anytime soon.
It's the other way around; if you give it back you'll activate the hardship. If Kuro's Charm is in your inventory you don't have the hardship activated (as seen by the lack of a red icon beneath the health bar).

wig split

Nov 1, 2017
As is tradition with Souls games, as I near the end all the mystique and novelty has gone and now it's a chore to finish it. First half was great, though.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's the other way around; if you give it back you'll activate the hardship. If Kuro's Charm is in your inventory you don't have the hardship activated (as seen by the lack of a red icon beneath the health bar).

Sorry, yeah, I don't know why it was the other way round in my head. But yeah to my point before, having the charm activated (or I guess deactivated) isn't as bad as I thought it would be once you get past that initial hump.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Sorry, yeah, I don't know why it was the other way round in my head. But yeah to my point before, having the charm activated (or I guess deactivated) isn't as bad as I thought it would be once you get past that initial hump.
Come back when you're at the last boss. :D

But I'd be inclined to agree to an extent. In reality, it doesn't change too much but it does essentially force you to learn pretty much every move because if you don't you're gonna gave a hard time. So if you already learned enough from previous playthrough(s) you probably won't struggle all that much, unless you relied on blocking.

How far in are you?

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Come back when you're at the last boss. :D

But I'd be inclined to agree to an extent. In reality, it doesn't change too much but it does essentially force you to learn pretty much every move because if you don't you're gonna gave a hard time. So if you already learned enough from previous playthrough(s) you won't struggle all that much.

How far in are you?

I just defeated the Corrupted Monk's apparition form in Mibu village. About 12 hours into NG+. The Lazulite Axe really makes her trivial, jesus...

A lot of bosses I've struggled with in previous playthroughs I've killed in a few tries, sometimes first try. One thing I've had the most trouble with so far is O'Rin. Such an annoying encounter.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I just realized I locked myself out of the last two prayer beads and an optional boss fight. That is what you get for playing the game blind. I don't know I definitely wanted to go to that area but it seems like I have to do that in my next playthrough and there seems to be no possibility in my game any more. Sigh

Did you already complete

Fountainhead Palace and never receive the bell from Emma?

If so, yeah, you're locked out of it. Fortunately, NG+ is a breeze as long as you don't return the charm. You can get back to the end game in a few hours.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
20190419125135_19ij62.jpg

20190419125308_1d7k0s.jpg

So I just played for around an hour on a Surface Pro Tablet with a HD 620 - I was consistently above 30 FPS and while it's certainly not a looker, I was surprised at how little the settings matter even on this graphics solution. It was entirely playable too - I just beat the two Apes and pushed forward to the village in the mist (the entire level was the mini-boss in this case, right? The mini-boss itself looked very creepy but did next to nothing)

So the old man at the budda would love to have it return to the temple. Can I do this somehow? Just thinking about it now, should I just pray there? And does the level go further or is this a dead end? I don't seem to be able to progress further into this direction now that the mist has lifted. Didn't fight the headless yet though.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Woke up this morning feeling like I won the lottery even if I am sleep deprived. I had gotten to the point last night against ISS where I had to stop and go to bed, but of course I told myself I'd try one more time. I was playing tired and sloppy, felt like I was regressing, yet somehow I scraped out the win. Thank goodness, I would have been sitting at work thinking about the fight all day if I hadn't. Four hours on that fight further reinforced my belief that you don't have to be skilled to succeed at From games, just stubborn!

I'm curious to see some good strats for him now, I didn't really do anything special other than double ichimonji and firecrackers.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
God I hate the final arena. I know From's had a hard-on for plants since BB, but here it just doesn't work. In a combat system where the basis is watching the tiny nuances of the enemies hand movements, it's just cruel to obscure the enemy from the waist down with grass. It's beautiful, but aesthetic hinders gameplay rather than enhancing it, which should never be. I don't want to have to reposition myself to the little strip path constantly.

Yes, I am salty because I'm getting trashed!

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
20190419125135_19ij62.jpg

20190419125308_1d7k0s.jpg

So I just played for around an hour on a Surface Pro Tablet with a HD 620 - I was consistently above 30 FPS and while it's certainly not a looker, I was surprised at how little the settings matter even on this graphics solution. It was entirely playable too - I just beat the two Apes and pushed forward to the village in the mist (the entire level was the mini-boss in this case, right? The mini-boss itself looked very creepy but did next to nothing)

So the old man at the budda would love to have it return to the temple. Can I do this somehow? Just thinking about it now, should I just pray there? And does the level go further or is this a dead end? I don't seem to be able to progress further into this direction now that the mist has lifted. Didn't fight the headless yet though.

I actually haven't figuresd out what that person meant by returning Buddha (maybe he really did just mean for you take out that thing) but you can progress further. Go straight past the house and you'll be able to grapple towards some branches and eventually go further down to a Sculptor Statue.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Serves me right for siding with that asshole Owl and killing poor Emma. Fighting her and Isshin is much harder than beating Owl!

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Sekiro was a better character. A bit too stoic and bland. Better than past Miyazaki games where they were just silent protags tho.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
That reminds me, I remember seeing a while back different farming spots, and at the start of the mist village there were two phantom enemies to farm. I've been back there a few times and never saw those enemies spawn - was there a specific point in the game that they were only available?

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
That reminds me, I remember seeing a while back different farming spots, and at the start of the mist village there were two phantom enemies to farm. I've been back there a few times and never saw those enemies spawn - was there a specific point in the game that they were only available?

I guess you dispelled the mist.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Sekiro was a better character. A bit too stoic and bland. Better than past Miyazaki games where they were just silent protags tho.

From haven't had to make a main character in a long time so this is the best they could manage. At least they provided an in-universe reason for him being that way.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
New game + just made it to Ape.
I've one shot every boss so far except Ashina Elite at the dojo before Gen.
so there is easy mode after all lol
Feels good!

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
God I hate the final arena. I know From's had a hard-on for plants since BB, but here it just doesn't work. In a combat system where the basis is watching the tiny nuances of the enemies hand movements, it's just cruel to obscure the enemy from the waist down with grass. It's beautiful, but aesthetic hinders gameplay rather than enhancing it, which should never be. I don't want to have to reposition myself to the little strip path constantly.

Yes, I am salty because I'm getting trashed!
Huh
That's a non issue. You don't need to see their legs for the movements they do. Pay attention to the first 1-2 moves of their combo and you know what's coming.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part of this fight was definitely the run back to the room. It's a short run, but more than enough to break my focus completely. Just let me restart in the room, bro.

LOL dude the respawn point for those boss fights is literally 50 feet away in a straight line, I've complained plenty about this game's design issues but that area is completely fine

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Did you already complete

Fountainhead Palace and never receive the bell from Emma?

If so, yeah, you're locked out of it. Fortunately, NG+ is a breeze as long as you don't return the charm. You can get back to the end game in a few hours.

Yes I never received the item. But at least I know for my next playthrough how to do it.