• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Still fighting Genichiro :-( Must have fought him at least 20 times at this stage.

Keep going! It took me nearly 80 times to finally beat him.

Tonight have just taken down
Owl & Corrupted Monk Pt2. Owl went from really intimidating to not too bad once I got the pattern down, he hits really hard but the second phase didn't change too much which made it pretty quick. Corrupted Monk was fine (I assume you are meant to use the tree branches to backstab her? I don't understand any other reason for them to be there and the drops to be possible...)

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Finally beat
Isshin: The Sword Saint
and ironically...

I wasn't even planning to beat him, i was stuck on phase 2 for god knows how many days so this was originally ment to be a practice run you know, practice and perfect phase 2 and maybe try phase 3 tomorrow, but then i realised that i just entered the 3rd and final phase with 7 healing gourds (out of 10) and no spirit emblems used, i was shocked but not shocked enough to choke like i usually do in a bosses final phase (Ape and Owl come to mind), i just kept the momentum going, fight him similarly to phase 2 and deflect his lightening, but i had to admit, i was nervous to the point where i choked a bunch of times to the point where i used up all 7 of my healing gourds on the final phase and 2 pellets and one jizo statue to get my revive up, i even fucked up the first lightening strike and nearly died lol, but after like 3 good lightening reflects he had like a little health left and his posture was capped, just one more hit but i didn't want to risk it, this attempt was pure luck after all, and after the fourth lightning attack i jumped too early and was on top of him, got so scared that i just spammed RB like my life depended on it and got hit by the lightening, but weirdly enough i reflected it and did a final deathblow from the air, i couldn't believe it! i did it! was so happy!

Honestly the whole final phase atmosphere-wise felt amazing, the lightning everywhere the hardcore music the roaring thunder in the background and most importantly the boss himself, it felt like a true final showdown, so good.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Finally cleaned up the All Skills trophy and got the platinum! The grind for XP was real, but found a decent place to mindlessly repeat backstabbing a couple of dudes and watched youtube videos while doing it made the process a little less painful. Total of 65 hours poured into this game! Glad to be completely done with Sekiro, hoping there will be DLC down the road.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Oh shit I think this happened to me in NG++. Never could find this Timid Maid. Who was she, even? So NPCs can die?

Timid Maid is the blind mother in Ashina Outskirts who gave you the Bell to access Hirata Estate. She'll die as part of her quest and I think it's triggered by some event in the story, but I'm not sure what exactly triggers it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Timid Maid is the blind mother in Ashina Outskirts who gave you the Bell to access Hirata Estate. She'll die as part of her quest and I think it's triggered by some event in the story, but I'm not sure what exactly triggers it.
Oh, I see. I guess if
you don't collect the blood sample from her before you kill Lady B, you're kinda fucked for curing dragonrot for a while?

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the last boss on my 4th try :)

See, that's the difference between a fair but challenging boss vs a cheap boss. That final boss fight was sublime. Tons of patterns to learn, rewards good timing and deflection, knowing when to stay on the offensive vs retreating to heal / recover posture, whenever I died I knew what mistakes I had made and learned from it.

Ended up beating it without using any resurrections and having half of my healing gourd left.

Phenomenal boss fight, and super fun. It's a shame they aren't all like that.

Sh0k

Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler Purification ending

To complete the Purification ending, do I have to kill Father Owl? I'm on NG+ and for me, it is impossible to beat him. In all the fights, I'm not even close to half of his first health bar and I'm ready to give up. It's so unfair how many times he one shot me when I have a fully upgrade health bar. All I need in Fountainhead Palace is to kill the dragon and go on with the story.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Spoiler Purification ending

To complete the Purification ending, do I have to kill Father Owl? I'm on NG+ and for me, it is impossible to beat him. In all the fights, I'm not even close to half of his first health bar and I'm ready to give up. It's so unfair how many times he one shot me when I have a fully upgrade health bar. All I need in Fountainhead Palace is to kill the dragon and go on with the story.
Yeah, you need to defeat him for that specific ending.

KsG

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Finally beat the final boss. Finished with no heals and 1/4 of my health. I think I stopped breathing every time he jumped at me haha

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I can't get the stupid final boss to do lightning attacks. Doesn't seem to matter where I go or stand, he just keeps slashing the crap out of me. After 50+ attempts I'm so close to just writing this off as a crappy ending to a great game.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get the stupid final boss to do lightning attacks. Doesn't seem to matter where I go or stand, he just keeps slashing the crap out of me. After 50+ attempts I'm so close to just writing this off as a crappy ending to a great game.
nah keep going, I tried even more than 50 times I feel like. And I felt the same. But it felt amazing when I won. A lot of his other attacks are choreographed enough. Just parry them, or at worst just block them (normally if you miss the Perry) and run back a bit and then go back for more strikes. I think people just get overwhelmed/too cautious on the last phase of the last boss.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
nah keep going, I tried even more than 50 times I feel like. And I felt the same. But it felt amazing when I won. A lot of his other attacks are choreographed enough. Just parry them, or at worst just block them (normally if you miss the Perry) and run back a bit and then go back for more strikes. I think people just get overwhelmed/too cautious on the last phase of the last boss.
It's just he has so much reach and wide slashes, and just when I think he's done and maybe I could take a swing, turns out he's not done slashing :/

Dec 14, 2017
It's just he has so much reach and wide slashes, and just when I think he's done and maybe I could take a swing, turns out he's not done slashing :/
Isshins attack pace is very unusual, you really need to look at his animations carefully. When youre in a clash trade with him he will usually win, so throw a shuriken or do a praying strike to disrupt his pattern. As for last phase, that is weird he's not doing lightning attacks. But even he doesn't, there are windows like when he does the shockwave slash, good opening there.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
yeah it can be deceiving sometimes but always just play it safe and keep blocking and if your posture isn't doing so hot just jump or run away and go back in. Always go back in when you can.

Any time someone is discouraged I always share my vid of me beating it not because I did well, but because the opposite lol. I was so sloppy and made so many mistakes (including dying in the first 30 seconds of the fight) and I still won: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQp_5nljx7E

Don't gotta be perfect. No lightning reversal either.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
yeah it can be deceiving sometimes but always just play it safe and keep blocking and if your posture isn't doing so hot just jump or run away and go back in. Always go back in when you can.

Any time someone is discouraged I always share my vid of me beating it not because I did well, but because the opposite lol. I was so sloppy and made so many mistakes (including dying in the first 30 seconds of the fight) and I still won: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQp_5nljx7E

Thanks I will watch that!

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
you'll see I did nothing special, I died early, made a ton of mistakes, I didn't even parry well. It's just easy to get discouraged/overwhelmed or think "I sucked this round I'll just go on tilt and die and try again next round" but really just stay on him as best you can, even with fuck ups, as long as you stay reasonably on his ass you'll eek out the posture damage.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019

Ok I watched, you did a great job and maybe I'm just too scared of him lol. You sure got close to the cliff a couple of times!

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I watched, you did a great job and maybe I'm just too scared of him lol. You sure got close to the cliff a couple of times!
I was the same way, I kept trying to run away too much or get the good hits in but his hp is too high and posture damage is the way to go. Always go in for the attacks, he will almost always block, when the orange glow happens aka the final block from him he always does a quick attack of some kind so get blocking/parrying accordingly and then take the 1 or 2 free hits then go back to hitting him which he will block and repeat. Him blocking is good! It's all posture damage. It's staying away for too long that is the danger. Most of my blocks weren't even parries.

and yeah I did a lot of stupid things like being too close to the cliff lol, I'm also positive it took me way more tries to win than you've had so far. And in hindsight I was like oh that wasn't so bad.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017

One thing to keep in mind (and the link video also demonstrates) is that it is totally fine to block a bunch of stuff in normal mode. Your posture is really never in danger unless you block a huge chain in a row. There is only one move (the thrust) that's fast enough to catch you in a posture break for a one-shot, but it's only relevant if you get broken by the swing prior to it. Everything else is either too slow or just 60-70% of your health, so it's fairly low risk.

Dec 14, 2017
Any good tips for corrupted monk?
On her five hit spin slash, you can Dodge through last one and punish, otherwise deflect the first four. Best time to punish is after she does a jumping vertical slash, can Dodge it too and do a charge thrust. Otherwise, if you have a lot of confetti and snap seeds, use them. Firecrackers also stun her and you can get two hits in

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

He only did once when I beat him. You shouldn't hope he does one move, but be happy when he does. Imo his biggest window is when he's about to do that downward stab for the mikiri and he tends to do that a lot. But even then there are more chances, like when he does the jumping attack. Sometimes he follows it up, so be ready to react. Only hit him twice max and react to his move after that. And yeah, being aggressive once again is the key. You can beat him by circling around him and waiting for a window, but that's the long and boring road.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
One thing to keep in mind (and the link video also demonstrates) is that it is totally fine to block a bunch of stuff in normal mode. Your posture is really never in danger unless you block a huge chain in a row. There is only one move (the thrust) that's fast enough to catch you in a posture break for a one-shot, but it's only relevant if you get broken by the swing prior to it. Everything else is either too slow or just 60-70% of your health, so it's fairly low risk.
cool - I felt like my posture went up pretty fast, and sometimes I get caught by his perilous moves.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He does lightning attacks?

Shit, he didn't do a single one in the few tries I did before I beat him.

They aren't necessary to beat him.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
cool - I felt like my posture went up pretty fast, and sometimes I get caught by his perilous moves.

The slower the move, the higher the posture damage. Strictly speaking of the final two phases, the moves that do significant damage (regular or posture) are all reasonably distinguishable. The quick hit or double hit attacks will probably not be a concern until you block 5 of them or so (and he really only has one chain that has that many hits). I think if you just hold block when you are not sure what's coming you will likely be ok as long your vitality isn't low to the point where you can't recover your posture bar in 2-3 seconds. This is especially true since you will never get an empty perilous attack, meaning that it would come as a first move. It's always going to come after a move, both thrust and sweep.

If you are really afraid of getting caught in the grinder, just bring mist raven, which allows you to back out even after you get hit.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
The slower the move, the higher the posture damage. Strictly speaking of the final two phases, the moves that do significant damage (regular or posture) are all reasonably distinguishable. The quick hit or double hit attacks will probably not be a concern until you block 5 of them or so (and he really only has one chain that has that many hits). I think if you just hold block when you are not sure what's coming you will likely be ok as long your vitality isn't low to the point where you can't recover your posture bar in 2-3 seconds. This is especially true since you will never get an empty perilous attack, meaning that it would come as a first move. It's always going to come after a move, both thrust and sweep.

If you are really afraid of getting caught in the grinder, just bring mist raven, which allows you to back out even after you get hit.
I've never been able to use mist raven properly 😆

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been able to use mist raven properly 😆

Activation window is generous but not necessarily large as an active dodge. But the point of mist raven here is you can back out safely when you get hit. If you notice that you got hit, you can mash tools to get safe distance and heal before the boss change target back onto you. The boss would generally respond to your heal with a lunging attack, to which you can then counter in whatever manner you see fit.

Don't necessarily try to work it in if it feels unnatural, but if a fair number of your deaths comes from eating a hit and you unable to scramble out of the situation, that's an easy way to get out.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
A few years ago i struggled to get to the 2nd lantern in Bloodborne, now i have a platinum in Sekiro. It's kind of astonishing how good From Software is at teaching you how to play video games.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
stealth posting that here

D4cwMekXkAE3umA.jpg:large

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started NG+ just to check out Hirata Estate and gotta say, it's pretty lame that the prosthetic tools you get so easily in it are essential for unlocking a lot of the tools in the upgrade menu.

So missing this area during a blind playthrough (like yours truly did) means that you miss out on a lot of abilities.

Got those tools and was instantly able to fill out most of the prosthetic tools tree at the temple since I had materials/money up the wazoo in the first playthrough but nothing to use them on -_-

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I continue to love my second time through the game. Last time, I cheesed
poison pool snake eyes into the poison.
This time I said screw it and faced her head on. Won my first time. It's insane how the game forces you to grow and how apparent it is on a second time through.