• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Recently copped this. The deathblows in this game are so damn satisfying! Currently fighting Lady Butterfly, I cannot wait to deathblow her bitchass! She whupped my ass the first 2 times I fought her so far. From Software dropped another classic. I should have been grabbed this on day one, instead I spent money on Anthem to play and roll with the squad. Loving Sekiro to the fullest so far. Was just telling the homie last night, From Software needs to give us a Mecha/Futuristic game sometime soon.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Can I get some tips for the Ashina Depths
2-on-1 ape fight? What is this bullshit?

Took me quite a few tries too, because it felt like I got bad RNG in how I finished the first phase and the second ape joined the fight. Couldn't separate them well enough to focus on the new ape. But once that worked, it was pretty easy overall - depending on how powered up you are at that point you won't need a lot of hits on the new ape and the second one should be far away enough to get a few hits in. It helps that the new ape tries to distance itself fast if you it him, it keeps you out of range from the severed head one if you pressure down on the new ape.

Overall I didn't want to tackle that fight at all, because it felt cheap, but it turned out to be one of the easier ones in the end.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Okay, I'm not gonna lie
I'm getting fatigued with the frequency of bosses. Like I just got to Guardian Ape and tedium is sure as shit setting in as I realize, again, I'm gonna to be stuck for a little while dissecting this fight.... just to finish it, move on for like 20 mins and then I'm onto another one

Sometimes I legit hate the pacing in this game. :(
This is a drag on the first playthrough (I'm on the final boss), but I imagine on subsequent playthroughs (if you do them) it won't be quite the same as half the battle of these bosses is the lack of knowledge on how to fight them. I agree though, the pacing is very draining and demotivating for me. I'm sure there are people that love this kind of boss onslaught though.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any tips for the final boss?

His spear phase is absolutely destroying me
His spear phase is actually pretty easy. Most of the attacks can be dodged easily and deflecting them is not difficult because they have very long windups. You can also stun him out of each and every one of his attack strings with firecrackers and use double ichimonji to regain posture, though I myself used nightjar slash instead of Ichimonji in this fight. Also, if you stay close but don't exactly stick to him he'll do his thrust attack a lot which is very easy to counter. You can check my video of the fight.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
His spear phase is actually pretty easy. Most of the attacks can be dodged easily and deflecting them is not difficult because they have very long windups. You can also stun him out of each and every one of his attack strings with firecrackers and use double ichimonji to regain posture, though I myself used nightjar slash instead of Ichimonji in this fight. You can check my video of the fight. Also, if you stay close but don't exactly stick to him he'll do his thrust attack a lot which is very easy to counter.

I like the use of firecrackers to stop his big build up attacks, I never thought of doing that.

Currently stuck on him. I've got to phase 2 a couple of times, but I do quit a lot of tries if I take too much damage from Genichiro, I try not to go in to the final boss without having to use more than a pellet.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I like the use of firecrackers to stop his big build up attacks, I never thought of doing that.

Currently stuck on him. I've got to phase 2 a couple of times, but I do quit a lot of tries if I take too much damage from Genichiro, I try not to go in to the final boss without having to use more than a pellet.
Genichiro is mostly an annoyance after a while. He has crap posture and all of his attacks are the same as earlier except his mortal blade slashes which have long windups and you can just hit him once or twice while he charges, then dodge behind him when he attacks so you can punish his recovery too. If you're having trouble identifying his perilous attacks, just pull him to the South-west area of the arena which doesn't have the flowers/plants blocking half of his body.

Jan 10, 2018
I too loved jumping, grappling hooking, croucing and swimming in Souls with my preset ninja.

Anyway, the new Edge is out and Sekiro got a nine out of ten.

Not sure what your point is? Bloodborne had gun parry, transforming weapons, no rolling and no shields (except that useless one). Buy It still operates very much like a Souls game.

There are more similarities with these games than there are things that separate them. Sekiro is probably the one game that changes up the formula the most, but it is still largely the same formula, for better or worse.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I got the immortal severence ending in my first pt. What ending do you all recommend to do next?

Purification, since it's the longest and the more enjoyable one, imo. Then Shura (follow the Iron Code) since it's the shortest.

Don't think it matters much though, especially if you're planning on getting them all!

Do you want to start playtrough #9? This thing never ends does it?

I just started playhtrough #5, despite telling myself I would start another game completely. I'm enjoying it though; I'm playing from scratch this time without the charm and with the Bell Demon activated. It's more enjoyable to find all the prayer beads, tools again rather than hundreds of Jizo Statues or money pouches I'll never use.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm not gonna lie
I'm getting fatigued with the frequency of bosses. Like I just got to Guardian Ape and tedium is sure as shit setting in as I realize, again, I'm gonna to be stuck for a little while dissecting this fight.... just to finish it, move on for like 20 mins and then I'm onto another one

Sometimes I legit hate the pacing in this game. :(

This is a drag on the first playthrough (I'm on the final boss), but I imagine on subsequent playthroughs (if you do them) it won't be quite the same as half the battle of these bosses is the lack of knowledge on how to fight them. I agree though, the pacing is very draining and demotivating for me. I'm sure there are people that love this kind of boss onslaught though.

I'm pretty sure this is the lowest amount of bosses they had in any Miyazaki game, though, including Demon's. Even counting the reused bosses and bosses that you can't possibly fight in the same playthrough since they're exclusive to different endings paths. There are 14 bosses total in this game, 16 if you're VERY generous. Demon's Souls has 17. Bloodborne also has 17 if you don't count Chalice Dungeons, if you do, there's another 9 or so in there, not counting reskins, which is being less generous than we're being to Sekiro here.

Like, the low amount of bosses is even a negative in the game to me, even though it doesn't stop me from loving it.

And the world is pretty big and open, my first playthrough had many many hours of just exploring new area after new area and unlocking idols, getting gourd seeds and etc without fighting a single boss.

It's less that I love this kind of boss onslaught and more that I don't see it at all. I have no idea what you guys are talking about. This is the fastest our character has ever been in a non-mech From game, though, so maybe you're just flying through the stages too quickly? Because yeah, it can be basically a boss rush if you ignore every enemy and just run, jump and grapple.

Are you all playing with standard controls?
Since swapping Dodge and Block-buttons (L1 Dodge, Block X) in Dark Souls and loving the fact I can run around while still moving the camera I changed Sekiro to having Dodge on L1 and Block on Square and it feels quite good since having Dodge far out on Circle is kind of tough and I may get less tired in my left indexfinger after all that previous deflecting on L1 going to Square.

However, jump on X... maybe I should change it to Square and have Block on X. I have block on X in dark souls afterall

Only switched eavesdropping and crouch. Hate pressing L3 while moving, d-pad down for crouch and slide feels much better to me.

Can you get Truly Precious Bait on any subsequent playthroughs?

I've tried purchasing everything from Pot Noble's but still no bait.

You can, but you won't get it before getting far enough in the quest, which I'm not sure if it's passing the carp in Fountainhead or talking to Koremori, but if you buy everything before that, you'll still need to go back to Harunaga and talk to him a few times for him to give you the bait. 7 scales should be enough.

Last edited:

Sh0k

Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler Purification Ending

Finally after I don't know how many attempts, I beat Owl Father. I feel so accomplished! Amazing fight, learning all his patterns and variations is a must, no way to cheese this boss.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm telling you, if I had a yen for every time somebody said a Sekiro boss was "actually pretty easy", I could buy Ashina Castle.
I didn't say that the boss was easy. :P

Overall, he's probably the most difficult boss I've faced in a FromSoft game till date. The phase I was talking about is easy coz most of his moves are telegraphed in advance and there are huge openings to attack and evade. He gets by on the intimidation factor coz players get overwhelmed seeing a guy with an impossibly long spear, sword and an automatic gun use them all to try and control the fight at all ranges.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
So I just watched the video VaatiVidya uploaded two days ago...

I had no idea Sekiro could recognize the Sculptor when he became the Demon of Hatred.

He said he shared sake and eavesdropped a lot and that's why that happened, but I would like to know what exactly triggers it, because I shared all the sakes available with him and this didn't happen to me. I assume there's some important moment where you should eavesdrop to trigger it.

Also that Sekijo bit was nice, must have been Isshin that named him too.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and done, fuck grinding exp for skills, don't have time for that shit :p

ijRWBt5.jpg

last boss on
shura was decent, he's quite a bit different than the normal final boss, so that's neat, didn't get his moves on the last phase down completely so I was using the umbrella to counter just to be safe,
I wish the game had a boss selection or something so I can just go back and mess around without going through the entire game.

I only save scummed once for the normal ending, so I was on playthrough #3, having already replayed the entire thing again killing all minibosses, and still need a lot of exp to unlock all the skills I was getting really annoyed so I just rushed through it to get to the final boss I wanted to fight.

Not sure I want to try "hard mode" honestly, because it sounds like the same shit all over but more punishing

Oct 25, 2017
So I just watched the video VaatiVidya uploaded two days ago...

I had no idea Sekiro could recognize the Sculptor when he became the Demon of Hatred.

He said he shared sake and eavesdropped a lot and that's why that happened, but I would like to know what exactly triggers it, because I shared all the sakes available with him and this didn't happen to me. I assume there's some important moment where you should eavesdrop to trigger it.

Also that Sekijo bit was nice, must have been Isshin that named him too.

When the idols get blocked in Ashina Castle and you can only go to Abandoned Dungeon Entrance, go back to the Dilapidated Temple, and Emma should be there talking to the Busshi. Eavesdrop on them, talk to them, rest and talk to the Busshi. I think this is probably it, since the dialogue is directly related to the Demon of Hatred.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
When the idols get blocked in Ashina Castle and you can only go to Abandoned Dungeon Entrance, go back to the Dilapidated Temple, and Emma should be there talking to the Busshi. Eavesdrop on them, talk to them, rest and talk to the Busshi. I think this is probably it, since the dialogue is directly related to the Demon of Hatred.

Thank you, will try this in my next playthrough.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I want to try "hard mode" honestly, because it sounds like the same shit all over but more punishing

It depends on what you are looking for in replay vallue, and to what degree of enjoyment you found the combat system to be. The former is in regards to how many people now need some kind of carrot/reward for replayability instead of just the gameplay itself. The latter is associated with the former with how it's defined.

Obviously the latter is more important (don't play something you don't truly enjoy), but in the last 6-7 years the perception that there needs to be rewards available for something to have replayability is far more commonplace.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what your point is? Bloodborne had gun parry, transforming weapons, no rolling and no shields (except that useless one). Buy It still operates very much like a Souls game.

There are more similarities with these games than there are things that separate them. Sekiro is probably the one game that changes up the formula the most, but it is still largely the same formula, for better or worse.

My point is that they changed basically everything. Sure, it has Souls in its DNA but so much is different. Combat, traversal, setting, set character, no stat management, no bloodstain hunting and online and you can even pause! No, but seriously, it's enough of a shake-up that I know Souls fans who didn't really gel with it and action fans who don't like Souls but dig this. DS and BB are ARPGs, this is an action adventure.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm pretty sure this is the lowest amount of bosses they had in any Miyazaki game, though, including Demon's. Even counting the reused bosses and bosses that you can't possibly fight in the same playthrough since they're exclusive to different endings paths. There are 14 bosses total in this game, 16 if you're VERY generous. Demon's Souls has 17. Bloodborne also has 17 if you don't count Chalice Dungeons, if you do, there's another 9 or so in there, not counting reskins, which is being less generous than we're being to Sekiro here.
I'm including mini-bosses in "bosses" - Ogre, drunkard, spear guy etc - these are bosses, they're not on par with Black Knights to me as some people have said. I am definately not rushing through areas, quite the opposite. I haven't looked at my playthrough in hours, but I can imagine it's on the high end even without skill farming. The bosses are just super draining for me, the boss fights are relentless in a way that Souls isn't and at times I don't enjoy it. Some people have yearned for this non-stop attentive, long style of boss fights in Souls, so they've took to Sekiro like a duck to water. I haven't. I wouldn't endure it if it wasn't a From game and I enjoyed everything else in the game so much outside of the multi-phase duel type bosses.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm including mini-bosses in "bosses" - Ogre, drunkard, spear guy etc - these are bosses, they're not on par with Black Knights to me as some people have said. I am definately not rushing through areas, quite the opposite. I haven't looked at my playthrough in hours, but I can imagine it's on the high end even without skill farming. The bosses are just super draining for me, the boss fights are relentless in a way that Souls isn't and at times I don't enjoy it. Some people have yearned for this non-stop attentive, long style of boss fights in Souls, so they've took to Sekiro like a duck to water. I haven't. I wouldn't endure it if it wasn't a From game and I enjoyed everything else in the game so much outside of the multi-phase duel type bosses.
But minibosses are nothing new in Souls. It's not just Black Knights, there are Berenike Knights, Ricard, Havel, Hydra, the Titanite Demons, the Undead Dragon, the Depths Big Rat, the Burg Boar and Parish Channeler, Anor Londo Gargoyle, etc etc.

I think it's mostly a difference in perception due to how their health bar is presented compared to the Souls counterparts, but yeah, they're nothing new. Not unique either, if they were then I'd be more inclined to count them as bosses.

That being said, I get what you mean now. There are quite a few of them, indeed, and I would definitely trade a bunch of them for a couple more actual bosses. But to be fair, there are usually intended ways to trivialize them, unlike most actual bosses. Usually involves either stealth blows, ninjutsu or both.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That was... oh my god. I don't know how I did it and I know i'm still early in the game but shit that was hard.

Lady Butterfly

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just happened to glance over at the reddit thread for Sekiro, and there are some amusing clips people are making. Can't really link those clips but it's worth scanning the thread.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I'm usually not great at these games (relying often on grinding it out or summoning to get through), but after struggling for so long in the early hours to get into it I have fallen totally in love with Sekiro. I beat the Demon of Hatred last night and then went back this morning to kill every Headless that freaked me out too much to want to attempt them (it took like 20 minutes total haha). Now I'm finally at the checkpoint before the final boss! It may take me a long time to actually get the win but at this point I've been able to overcome every other challenge this game has thrown at me. I'm excited!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
ISS NG+2. Was expecting bad times after NG had me trying for days, but got him after about three tries! Just gotta grind out 6 more skill points and then that'll be it for this. Definitely GOTY so far, even though this game pissed me off something fierce at times. LOL

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Are you all playing with standard controls?
Since swapping Dodge and Block-buttons (L1 Dodge, Block X) in Dark Souls and loving the fact I can run around while still moving the camera I changed Sekiro to having Dodge on L1 and Block on Square and it feels quite good since having Dodge far out on Circle is kind of tough and I may get less tired in my left indexfinger after all that previous deflecting on L1 going to Square.

However, jump on X... maybe I should change it to Square and have Block on X. I have block on X in dark souls afterall
I put prosthetic swap on d-pad up, interact/examine on triangle, and use item on square.

Your setup sounds weird as fuck to me haha.
and done, fuck grinding exp for skills, don't have time for that shit :p
I didn't need to really grind, got the achievement by playing naturally but... until NG+3 at the very end lol.
There will be DLCs, most likely, but it's possible it's not with Wolf or that you'd re-use the same character. That said, I'd prefer it, since I'd like to keep the arts, shinobi tools etc.

Dec 25, 2017
It was a fun bit of luck when I got to the
dodgeball kicking mini boss near the Great Sakura in Fountainhead Palace. He kicked some balls at me, threw some lightning and after failing to reverse it the first time, I just figured I'd go kill him up close. Sprinted up to him in the middle of him prepping a lightning attack in midair, and performed the midair deathblow instantly killing him, lol. Complete and total luck!

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
It was a fun bit of luck when I got to the
dodgeball kicking mini boss near the Great Sakura in Fountainhead Palace. He kicked some balls at me, threw some lightning and after failing to reverse it the first time, I just figured I'd go kill him up close. Sprinted up to him in the middle of him prepping a lightning attack in midair, and performed the midair deathblow instantly killing him, lol. Complete and total luck!

That's not luck that's tactics. Shigimen warriors die the exact same way fuck those guys

Dec 6, 2017
US
Demon... is pretty wtf for me right now.

Can I even parry anything or is it flat-out just yea whatever, here's a DS3 boss have fun?

I can get his first bar down but he takes so much fucking damage and it's so tedious. I'm hoping I figure out some quicker tactics because I'm pretty bored with this stupidly punishing damage output vs. slashing at his ass a few times once in a while.

It being all recycled right now is making it much worse, seems like I've seen almost everything and this boss just blows.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I started this last Friday and slowly getting the hang of it... Slowwwwwly.

I found
the headless
last night and promptly got the fuck out of there, that shit was terrifying.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got the plat. File says 112 hours. LOL Sheesh. Some was probably afk but still. Bring on the DLC!

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
So, endboss.
Genchiro is a pushover, as always. Isshin kicks my ass currently, but I almost managed to beat him once. You really HAVE to stay aggressive with him. No point in healing since it effectively resets all progress unless there is some lengthy attack that completely misses you.
One thing that fucked me up twice now is the camera. Sometimes it just breaks and loses Isshin. Usually, if he jumps (and maybe is directly above you).
In the third phase, the lightning hits me sometimes, sometimes not. I feel I should return to the section right before the dragon and get the timings actually right. You are supposed to jump and press R1 right before the attack lands, right? Maybe I do that too early.
Despite some problems, I have to say, it's soo satisfying to get a phase down without getting hit once.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
So, endboss.
Genchiro is a pushover, as always. Isshin kicks my ass currently, but I almost managed to beat him once. You really HAVE to stay aggressive with him. No point in healing since it effectively resets all progress unless there is some lengthy attack that completely misses you.
One thing that fucked me up twice now is the camera. Sometimes it just breaks and loses Isshin. Usually, if he jumps (and maybe is directly above you).
In the third phase, the lightning hits me sometimes, sometimes not. I feel I should return to the section right before the dragon and get the timings actually right. You are supposed to jump and press R1 right before the attack lands, right? Maybe I do that too early.
Despite some problems, I have to say, it's soo satisfying to get a phase down without getting hit once.
Jump, let the lightning hit you and R1 before you hit the ground.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Final boss down. Wasn't that hard tbh.

Beat him on my fifth attempt. The huge arena probably helped. Got the Return Ending. The first Genichiro fight was the worst by far. Bird Man in Hirata was almost as bad.

I'm glad it's over. Did I enjoy playing the game? Eh, not really.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017

Can I even parry anything or is it flat-out just yea whatever, here's a DS3 boss have fun?

I can get his first bar down but he takes so much fucking damage and it's so tedious. I'm hoping I figure out some quicker tactics because I'm pretty bored with this stupidly punishing damage output vs. slashing at his ass a few times once in a while.

It being all recycled right now is making it much worse, seems like I've seen almost everything and this boss just blows.

You should charge and go hard at him. You can deflect everything that's not perilous, just like everything else. Problem is fire chip. If you have suzaku upgrade you should use that for those instances. If not you can just dodge, which has a little more strict timing.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

They're all avoidable but not all of them are massively intuitive if you ask me. When I did the fight I didn't realise the charge attack was a sweep because logically i thought the demon would still hit me if I tried jumping - I used the mist raven instead. Turns out you can jump over it and you just "phase through" the top half of the boss and don't take damage lol. Stay close for a bit easier time as you can just sprint around the boss and avoid a lot of the close range attacks(you can parry most of them too besides the fire attacks), backing off if you need to when he jumps up.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I mean, seriously, do people really deflect perfectly without just mashing L1? I don't know how they do it. In some boss fights, you'd need perfect timing hundreds of times.

And yes, I am cranky because I now keep dying to fucking Emma without even getting to the hard part!