• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Back to square one with the final boss after the weekend away from the game. Had about 30 tries tonight, made it past G twice (I refuse to use a Gourd on this shitbag). Total crapshoot on his unblockables because of the grass, I can't see his character model so no idea which move is going to come out, 50/50 guess. Made it to the second phase of the final boss both times I got to him, but can't get a handle on it at all, just don't understand when it's safe to attack because his moveset is so stilted and delayed.

Can't tell the difference between 'this is one hit' and 'this is the first hit in a combo'. Watched a few videos and I see the overhead jump slam seems safe to walk around and then get an attack in - nope, he has a follow-up, that never seems to appear in the videos, but does every time for me. Still haven't even seen the third phase - so it feels like, what's the point in trying hard in phase 1 and 2, because I haven't even seen how to react to things in phase 3, so if I'm burning through Estus in phase 1 and 2, even if I get to phase 3 it's game over before I even get a chance to check it out, so I do just kind of give up once I'm low on heals because it seems futile.

/vent and back to the grindstone.
If you're having trouble identifying G's perilous attacks, just pull him to the South-west side of the arena which has no plants to help hide his moves. I did that when ISS popped out, but you can easily pull G to that side of the arena too.

Don't worry too much about phase 3 as that is easily the shortest phase if you learn lightning reversal. Also for ISS' first two phases, you can (and should) interrupt all of his long charging animations using firecrackers. I'll post my own video here and maybe it'll help you.

Oct 25, 2017
This game is super fun to play without the hud. (well, only after you know where the grappling points are)

Not knowing when they're gonna go down can be pretty thrilling. And it kinda helps clear my mind too. Like not rushing when you see their posture is almost broken, then getting killed because you got greedy.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ended up cheesing the Demon in frustration. I don't think I have the reaction time to really git gud at this game and it sucks, honestly. I'm now at the final boss, but I still get owned by random enemies every once in a while. Sometimes it just seems like they are on fire and I can't recognize their attacks and react in time. Guess I'm getting too old!

It also doesn't help that the camera in this game will fuck you hard seemingly at random. Never had this issue with the Souls games, but it happens a lot in Sekiro. Still a fun game, but I think I'm going to use that frame rate mod on my NG+ run to just wreck shop on all of these asshole enemies for a nice cathartic playthrough.
Cheesed him too. Like someone said here. He is a Bloodborne/Dark Souls boss not a Sekiro one.
Stay in the abyss fucking DoH.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, be honest guys and gals. How many times did you see this screen upon starting the game? 😬

qO8o0AP.jpg
Only twice, believe it or not. I think the first one was at the Drunkard and the next came at double seven spears.

I think overall with this game, when I am doing something wrong I can see why or how I am fucking up more than any other From game. Since this game is mostly one on one and the action is almost always happening right in front of you, it is easier to follow and thus see your mistakes more clearly.

The first RQ was the game getting the better of me as I was still trying to get to grips with the combat after a 5 hour launch day session but I prevailed in the end and came out better for it. The second is a total bullshit fight that I tried to tackle in a legit manner(as I have every encounter, more or less) and failed but came back and did it the "shinobi" way after RQing.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat the game with the ending of my choice:
The Dragon Return ending.
I like that ending, I think it was the right choice for me personally. Had some other choices as well, but I decided for that one. I enjoyed collecting all needed items, doing side quests etc.

I really, really love the game. But I don't have the power in me to do NG+. At least not for now. I loved learning the boss fights, the parrying mechanic and in general how vertical the level design was. Stealth wasn't just an afterthought, it was a viable strategy when traversing the world. Game had some fantastic locations, too. Love where the final boss fight took place. After my first try I thought I will bang my head against it for the next days. But in the end it took me only an hour to beat the boss -- and it felt great! Fantastic fight that encourages you to stay on the offense and quickly react to certain attacks.

Yet another wonderful From Software game. I can't wait what they'll be doing next. Of course, I really want a new Armored Core. But I also would love to see them return to the Shadow Tower franchise and do a new first person RPG. That would be something! Or, of course, something entirely new again.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you're having trouble identifying G's perilous attacks, just pull him to the South-west side of the arena which has no plants to help hide his moves. I did that when ISS popped out, but you can easily pull G to that side of the arena too.

Don't worry too much about phase 3 as that is easily the shortest phase if you learn lightning reversal. Also for ISS' first two phases, you can (and should) interrupt all of his long charging animations using firecrackers. I'll post my own video here and maybe it'll help you.

I got to phase 3 just now, but it just consisted of me trying in vain to run away to heal only to have it punished every time (cue Benny Hill music) and then I was out of estus, so just stood there and let him finish me off.

I understand the process of lightning reversal, but it's always been a crapshoot as to if it works or not. I assume I'm doing it too early, but in the heat of the moment I just panic jump and mash R1 and then I'm stunned on the ground. I suppose I'll get it sooner or later, either that or just get a lucky RNG round or something where I don't get it so often.

Oct 25, 2017
I got to phase 3 just now, but it just consisted of me trying in vain to run away to heal only to have it punished every time (cue Benny Hill music) and then I was out of estus, so just stood there and let him finish me off.

I understand the process of lightning reversal, but it's always been a crapshoot as to if it works or not. I assume I'm doing it too early, but in the heat of the moment I just panic jump and mash R1 and then I'm stunned on the ground. I suppose I'll get it sooner or later, either that or just get a lucky RNG round or something where I don't get it so often.
Mashing is fine, in my experience, as long as you wait for the thing to hit you before you start mashing.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Jesus Christ, I did it. I think it was the second or third time I got the final phase, I totally lost my concentration towards the end and just started panic pressing everything, jumping around, healing, switching prosthetics, somehow I managed it with a couple of heals left. I could not press that button for the final deathblow fast enough!

Now for a bit of farming, then save scum the endings then on to NG+ - I never have to face that cunt ever again unless in some dark hour of the soul I'm up for more of this migraine-inducing self-flagellation!

92 hours and 11 minutes says the load screen. I'd say 15-20hrs of farming, so 70 hours approx to finish NG. [[ melts in to a puddle of defeat and sweat ]]

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Am I supposed to be in this area before I kill the Great Ape the first time. I kind of just wandered into this place.
yeah, there's no real "supposed to." if you can get somewhere, you're good to be there. it's a benefit of the game not having levels, you're always strong enough for whatever you're fighting

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Just finished playthrough #2 for Purification ending.
Just started #3 and aiming for Shura. Mortal Kombat 11 comes out Tuesday and I don't have the time for 2 playthroughs before then but I'm hoping I can squeeze the short one in.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i finished my first playthrough. chose the ending where you
kill emma and isshin. emma is a pushover but isshin is not so i must have killed emma about a dozen times before finally killing the old man.
26 hours.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I started up the game on steam again after almost a week break and suddenly all my controller settings are fucked. Thanks Valve. Had to change Dpad setting to 4 way only to fix it. Apparently was a recent update they decided that broke everything apparently.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Uploaded my win vs the final boss for posterity. Please don't look to this as any kind of guide on how to win, I suck!

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
so i reloaded my save before the ending choice and made the other decision.

turns out boss spoiler
owl is a joke. i one-shot him blind. isshin and emma were way harder. he also begs for mercy and tries to bamboozle you but i'm not falling for that he has 2 deathblow markers.

Oct 25, 2017
I called it a day there too hahah. He destroys posture
I probably don't want to touch the CM till much later, like post Ape or something. I feel like there's more at the temple or something that I don't know how to find not to mention there's that four monkey boss that I don't know how to find. Watching glitched speed runs really messed up when I think I'm supposed to fight that thing.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the monkey and monk ghost and am now trying to catch three versions of Curious George. Frustration lingers but I feel successful.

polyrizumu

May 15, 2018
First night trying out the final boss....this is going to be painful.

Sword Saint Isshin is an absolute beast. I fucking hate the Genichiro fight, it manages to put me off somehow every single time despite being pretty simple. Have got past the first phase of the Isshin fight and managed to get about half way through second phase where it gets super hectic but that's my limit today. First phase just feels so slow as it seems like I can only really hit on on a couple of specific attacks so I feel pretty passive/slow.

This is definitely going to take a few nights for me I think.

You can bait out attacks that leave him open. It'll make the fight much longer but you can get some easy hits in. In the second phase run in circles around him until he does the leaping attack, keep lots of distance from him and continue running around when he does his follow up slice. If you do it right the camera will put you behind his back for 1-2 hits. If you get him low on health use the Lazulite Shuriken charged shots to whittle him down from afar.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
The first phase can get going incredibly quickly as you get used to the boss, and I think that's a big part of the whole experience of learning the entirety of the boss—blowing past G without using resources or fatiguing yourself. Once you get into the flow of it, you can be easily taking him down in under a minute no problem.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this
Isshin fight might be the end of the line for me. I just can't figure this game out. I particularly hate how inconsistent boss patterns are. Sometimes I dominate Genichiro, and can cheese Phase 1 Isshin with constant jumps, but other times my usual tactics just don't work.
It's like there is an RNG of boss attack patterns and a lot of the time I'm getting the hard mode. I know this probably isn't true, but man it sucks to suck.

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Nioh ain't got shit on this game... or it's just a different kind of difficulty. One that requires much faster reaction time.

Last edited by a moderator:

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, I did it. I think it was the second or third time I got the final phase, I totally lost my concentration towards the end and just started panic pressing everything, jumping around, healing, switching prosthetics, somehow I managed it with a couple of heals left. I could not press that button for the final deathblow fast enough!

Now for a bit of farming, then save scum the endings then on to NG+ - I never have to face that cunt ever again unless in some dark hour of the soul I'm up for more of this migraine-inducing self-flagellation!

92 hours and 11 minutes says the load screen. I'd say 15-20hrs of farming, so 70 hours approx to finish NG. [[ melts in to a puddle of defeat and sweat ]]
Lol. Congrats dude!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this
Isshin fight might be the end of the line for me. I just can't figure this game out. I particularly hate how inconsistent boss patterns are. Sometimes I dominate Genichiro, and can cheese Phase 1 Isshin with constant jumps, but other times my usual tactics just don't work.
It's like there is an RNG of boss attack patterns and a lot of the time I'm getting the hard mode. I know this probably isn't true, but man it sucks to suck.

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Nioh ain't got shit on this game... or it's just a different kind of difficulty. One that requires much faster reaction time.

I felt the same way and it sounds like two things:

- you're playing the boss to win instead of playing to first learn its patterns and tendencies
- you're R1 spamming which the last 3 phases of this fight will definitely punish

Having beaten the fight 3 times, every attack that is coming is 100 % readable and fair.

You can do this. Countless people on this forum have felt this way and went on to conquer the final boss.

Try not to worry about beating it right away. Set little goals (get to phase 2, get to phase 3) and I'm telling you that you will get it.

You say the game has inconsistent boss tendencies but that's exactly what makes the fights feel exhilarating and realistic.

Honestly as gaming gets more and more advanced, expect this level of inconsistency to further increase.

The amount of different attacks that enemies can string together is pretty cool, IMO.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt the same way and it sounds like two things:

- you're playing the boss to win instead of playing to first learn its patterns and tendencies
- you're R1 spamming which the last 3 phases of this fight will definitely punish

Having beaten the fight 3 times, every attack that is coming is 100 % readable and fair.

You say the game has inconsistent boss tendencies but that's exactly what makes the first feel exhilarating and realistic.

Honestly as gaming gets more and more advanced, expect this level of inconsistency to further increase.

The amount of different attacks that enemies can string together is pretty cool, IMO.

No, I never spam R1. Always just one at a time to hopefully leave enough frames to switch to block for a counter. I just don't have the reaction time, I think.

Also sucks that I can still never tell between a jump or forward dodge to counter the perilous attacks. Seems like it's almost always a 50/50 for me.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, this

This is the problem I think.

In all honesty you need to be able to get in there and get through
genichiro and phase 1 without really taking any damage or using heals. If you're relying on cheese tactics for phase 1 then you're not really 'learning' the moveset and when he ups the ante in phase 2 you're going to feel overwhelmed.

With genichiro as soon as you see him run to the left and circle him, as he's windin up his big wind attack double ichimonji him to build up posture damage, then immediately go on the offensive. When he jumps up in the air dodge left and attack, when he thrusts forward then press forward+O to mikiri counter reliably. when he rushes you with attacks that's your opportunity to deflect everything.

in phase 1 when he double ichimonjis you dodge left and attack him, then dodge again before he releases the second hit. Same deal with the big wind attack. When he charges up and dashes forward with that double swipe thing, just run left and right and wait for him to wiff it and get a hit in. You have to be able to mikiri counter reliably and the sweep attack doesn't have to be jumped over at all, just dodge to the side as soon as he sheathes. once the posture is built up, keep using the shuriken + follow up dash attack to apply pressure.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the problem I think.

In all honesty you need to be able to get in there and get through
genichiro and phase 1 without really taking and damage. If you're relying on cheese tactics for phase 1 then you're not really 'learning' the moveset and when he ups the ante in phase 2 you're going to feel overwhelmed.

With genichiro as soon as you see him run to the left and circle him, as he's windin up his big wind attack double ichimonji him to build up posture damage, then immediately go on the offensive. When he jumps up in the air dodge left and attack, when he thrusts forward then press forward+O to mikiri counter reliably. when he rushes you with attacks that's your opportunity to deflect everything.

in phase 1 when he double ichimonkis you dodge left and attack him, then dodge again before he releases the second hit. Same deal with the big wind attack. When he charges up and dashes forward with that double swipe thing, just run left and right and wait for him to wiff it and get a hit in. You have to be able to mikiri counter reliably and the sweep attack doesn't have to be jumped over at all, just dodge to the side as soon as he sheathes. once the posture is built up, keep using the shuriken + follow up dash attack to apply pressure.

No, I don't cheese Genichiro, I mean Isshin Phase 1. Sometimes you can just jump on his head and do two strikes over and over again until he's dead. Other times, no.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Yeah, this
Isshin fight might be the end of the line for me. I just can't figure this game out. I particularly hate how inconsistent boss patterns are. Sometimes I dominate Genichiro, and can cheese Phase 1 Isshin with constant jumps, but other times my usual tactics just don't work. It's like there is an RNG of boss attack patterns and a lot of the time I'm getting the hard mode. I know this probably isn't true, but man it sucks to suck.

You = me. I uninstalled the game when I first fought Isshin because I couldn't do anything to him, plus 4 phases in a row = fuck that. By that point, I had enough of this game and its difficulty.

I recommend uninstalling and then returning once you feel refreshed and ready to fight/play the game again. The fight is long and very annoying, but it is possible with lots of practice (I literally just beat him 2 hours ago despite reaching him a few weeks ago). Good luck.