• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's true. I wish there was more stuff like that in this game. Something I love about DS1 is how about half the game is optional if you know what you're doing (and have the master key).
Yeah, it's great. I wonder if the higher development costs of this gen is what keeps them from repeating it in other games. You need a large amount of overall content to make so much of it completely optional, after all. Some of them like skipping Taurus not so much, it's not something people will do on a first playthrough, but an area the size of Great Hollow/Ash Lake or the Painted World being hidden in Sekiro would be a no no, because there's just not enough content.

Bloodborne actually has a ton of optional content, now that I think about it, but it's not the same when it's mostly completely optional branches that take you to the optional bosses, instead of you using the same space to "dodge" the fights.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I def dont want the game harder for ppl already struggling! But something to make the parrying system a little less auto-pilot...it's also possible that having parry/guard be the same button (so every parry attempt has insurance) may be the culprit. But i def want a system that feels rewarding above all else, regardless of difficulty

Oct 25, 2017
I def dont want the game harder for ppl already struggling! But something to make the parrying system a little less auto-pilot...it's also possible that having parry/guard be the same button (so every parry attempt has insurance) may be the culprit. But i def want a system that feels rewarding above all else, regardless of difficulty
Did you try playing without Kuro's Charm? Any missed parry means damage taken. It's basically removing the training wheels.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Not yet, ive only done the one run but i dont know if ill be going into ng+ any time soon.

Anyway, i didnt really mean for it to be some heavy criticism, just a thing that stood out to me personally after having played their other entries (which are fundamentally different in various ways too!)

Oct 25, 2017
Can I restart the game on NG and still keep my NG+3 save or it will be overwritten?
I am on xbox one
You have 10 differente save slots, iirc. Hitting new game will create a new one, don't worry.

Not yet, ive only done the one run but i dont know if ill be going into ng+ any time soon.

Anyway, i didnt really mean for it to be some heavy criticism, just a thing that stood out to me personally after having played their other entries (which are fundamentally different in various ways too!)

You can actually use it on NG as well, as long as you have a NG+ save. Assuming you just don't want to do NG+ instead of not wanting to replay the game at all.

And I get you, I felt similarly (not specifically about parries and blocks, but I felt the game was a bit on the easy side on NG, much like Bloodborne), but Kuro's Charm was a revelation to me, the most enjoyable NG+ experience in any From game by far.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
You can literally see the hook underneath my feet and then see me get teleported down into the attack after the fact.

That is an objectively inaccurate hitbox with visual evidence lol

"objectively"

You're within range of a throw attack. That's why you got hit. You weren't blocking and if you want to be pedantic it only got you as you started descending towards the long telegraphed throw attack. If you deflected it or jumped backwards, it would have missed. In fact I'd say that's made quite obvious by the style of attack, while you're on the ground it hooks over your shoulder. Yes it tracks you but let's not pretend you were way out of that attacks range.

Like, this happens with every enemy. Try a stationary jump against GA's throw and see how that goes. Like I said, if that was a sweep attack you would have been fine but the game makes it clear as early as that ogre fight on the stairs that jumping that close to a grab means you're going to get caught.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
You have 10 differente save slots, iirc. Hitting new game will create a new one, don't worry.

You can actually use it on NG as well, as long as you have a NG+ save. Assuming you just don't want to do NG+ instead of not wanting to replay the game at all.

And I get you, I felt similarly (not specifically about parries and blocks, but I felt the game was a bit on the easy side on NG, much like Bloodborne), but Kuro's Charm was a revelation to me, the most enjoyable NG+ experience in any From game by far.

Yeh if i do attempt another run im gonna use it for sure

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Managed to kill the final boss without getting hit and with 0 beads. After a no R1 run I think I am done till the DLC hits. What a game.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
I just finished the game, 10/10. One of my favorite FromSoft games, just below BloodBorne. Shout out to the Mikiri Counter, the most badass move in all the game.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This is where I was at yesterday. I refused to spend one gourd on G. But I pushed through and eventually got it.

Don't give up! It feels fruitless, but you are learning the attacks as you go, experience is experience, it will pay off :)

"He has a really long combo in spear mode that starts with a little two-hit sword attack, then a few spear attacks and finally a thrust which can be mikiri'd - it's very reliable and I got it just about every time.
I posted my win a couple of pages back (which was kind of janky, but phase 1 & 2 of the final boss were some of the best I did against him - the less said about phase 3

im gonna try to understand the spear part, but it just seem so ramdom that im always getting caught off guard, gonna try the "parry parry parry trick"

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Giving a NG charmless run a shot. Fun so far! Interesting, my only death has been a collision/geometry bug that had me falling forever until the death triggered. :P

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game yesterday.
I beat DoH (now i know what these 3 letters mean rs)and loved this boss fight, bloodborne style, dodge focused , I love how all my attacks did damage and it was not that monotomy of deflect and attack fun fest, although the boss has a lot of life, I used all my skills and it was the most gratifying boss fight easy, It could have been a lot easier with prosthetic weapons, but I had no spirit emblem,and I hate farming,neither had those itens to power up my attacks,I leaved headless and 1000 faces for post game, the most difficult boss fight for me without a doubt, but probably my favorite.
So I went to the final boss, my brother said that it was much more difficult, but to my surprise I found it very easy.
Very easy to cause damage to him, his posture fell very fast, his attacks were easy to dodge and deflect,throw back the lightning is so fucking good,also a lot of opportunities for Mikiri.He is not a tank and he did not block all attacks like other bosses, with prosthetic weapons would have been even more easy.
But it was a very good and fair fight, epic, great atmosphere and mechanically impeccable, definitely one of the best in the game, but for me it does not touch Gehrman in Bloodborne.
I obviously back up a save and watched the 3 finals, my favorite was undoubtedly
what Sekiro dies.
Now I'm going to take some time to play other games and I'm going to need some time to reflect on what position I'd put in my From Software game ranking, but it's definitely not the first.
I loved the game overall, but its flaws and some design decisions bothered me, but nothing that takes the glow out of the game 9/10 in my book.

Last edited:

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Banging my head against DoH right now. One deathblow is okay, but the rest is really a test of endurance. He kills really fast.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
He gave me the most trouble among all bossess just like you in NG++

I tried to fight him fair but gave up and cheesed him out for the second phase. Just keep running and whirlwind slash after he throw shuriken and jump.

Whirlwind slash or normal attack is fine too.

He is annoying.

Thanks, Whirlwind Slash was a good idea, just beat him.

For everyone saying the game is always fair: Hirata 2.0 has a mini-boss constantly calling dogs for backup and Juzou the Drunkard aided by one of them tough ninja dudes. Way too many unfair mobs in the game.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Era, I think something is wrong with me.

I've been at it trying to beat the last boss on and off over the last few days, never getting far past phase 1.

Yesterday I had a "few" drinks with my colleagues after work and when I got home I got the glorious idea to try again, noticeably drunk.

Took me two tries to beat him. O.o
It's like I had some kind of tunnel vision.

Guess I just was overthinking things before and not reacting enough or something.

So in short: Drunk Sekiro = easy mode...apparently.

On to ng+!

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Era, I think something is wrong with me.

I've been at it trying to beat the last boss on and off over the last few days, never getting far past phase 1.

Yesterday I had a "few" drinks with my colleagues after work and when I got home I got the glorious idea to try again, noticeably drunk.

Took me two tries to beat him. O.o
It's like I had some kind of tunnel vision.

Guess I just was overthinking things before and not reacting enough or something.

So in short: Drunk Sekiro = easy mode...apparently.

On to ng+!
lol, im gonna try that now!!

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Final boss down in under 2 hours. I'm feeling really weird about that last victory. I guess while I won it wasn't a knowledgeable/mastered battle. I keep running in the last page while getting a hit here and there.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I never really felt any of the fights were unfair or unwinnable. I would get my ass handed to me on the first or second try of some bosses but eventually you recognize the patterns. I think
Owl (Father)'s.
abilities and the reaction to them are burned in at this point. Those first several attempts though, oof.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Hirata 2.0 has a mini-boss constantly calling dogs for backup

you can throw a shuriken at him when he's about to whistle. You never need to see the dogs if you time it right. Also that's another boss where an instant first deathblow is possible. If you go to the idol past him, you can grapple up to the tower near him. If you do it right (take care of the enemies closeby) you can do a jumping deathblow on him.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"objectively"

You're within range of a throw attack. That's why you got hit. You weren't blocking and if you want to be pedantic it only got you as you started descending towards the long telegraphed throw attack. If you deflected it or jumped backwards, it would have missed. In fact I'd say that's made quite obvious by the style of attack, while you're on the ground it hooks over your shoulder. Yes it tracks you but let's not pretend you were way out of that attacks range.

Like, this happens with every enemy. Try a stationary jump against GA's throw and see how that goes. Like I said, if that was a sweep attack you would have been fine but the game makes it clear as early as that ogre fight on the stairs that jumping that close to a grab means you're going to get caught.

I mean I really don't know how I can make this any clearer.

In the gif I posted, you can literally see the hook (aka the part of her weapon that grabs you to set up the attack) go completely underneath and behind my character.

You can then see my character literally teleported out of the air and back down to the ground so I can get wrapped into the attack's animation.

Because of these two facts with literal visual evidence, I can safely say that this is an objectively inaccurate hitbox.

This is not an attack that is tracking me. This is an attack with a hitbox that extends far above its visual representation.

Just because some grabs can hit you out of the air doesn't mean every single grab attack should magically be able to hit you out of midair.

If an attack's animation is such that it looks like it can be easily jumped over, I should be able to jump over it. That is literally the definition of an accurate hitbox.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I give up. Only the Shura ending left and I can't beat the two bosses. This shit is ridiculous compared to the other final boss battle.

Those throw hitboxes are unfair garbage. I've had enough of this shit.
Weird, those bosses were way easier than the regular last boss for me.
This is not an attack that is tracking me. This is an attack with a hitbox that extends far above its visual representation.
Welcome to every single grab attack in FromSoft games since Demon's Souls, lol. Grab attacks have always been annoying, but tbh the hitboxes for them in Sekiro is actually more forgiving than ever because you can now just jump backwards.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Thanks, Whirlwind Slash was a good idea, just beat him.

For everyone saying the game is always fair: Hirata 2.0 has a mini-boss constantly calling dogs for backup and Juzou the Drunkard aided by one of them tough ninja dudes. Way too many unfair mobs in the game.
There are ways around both of those.
If you make the Ninja follow you outside the burning estate and towards the bridge, he will follow you and the dogs will stay. He won't call for anymore either

You can aggro Juzo and the Ninja, run away across the pond and then stealth backstab the Ninja as he's walking back to his post

I don't think I ever fought a mini boss with a mob around them. I always took them out and got a stealth dealthblow on the mini boss before I took them on for real.

As for what I think is unfair, any boss that purposely breaks the lock on camera (and there are several of them). It's cheap and bs and caused a lot of deaths for me as I have to run around and crab scared I'm gonna get hit from behind.

Last edited:

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting 1.5 hours DoH taught me a lot. Made it two times to the last deathblow. But everything went to shit there. Tommorow I guess.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
There are ways around both of those.
If you make the Ninja follow you outside the burning estate and towards the bridge, he will follow you and the dogs will stay. He won't call for anymore either

You can aggro Juzo and the Ninja, run away across the pond and then stealth backstab the Ninja as he's walking back to his post

I don't think I ever fought a mini boss with a mob around them. I always took them out and got a stealth dealthblow on the mini boss before I took them on for real.

Ok, thanks, will try that. But it's silly that we have to resort to these cheese tactics. I don't know what From expects us to do. Abuse the AI like that or actually fight the mobs.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Final boss progress update...

Night two. Where as yesterday I was struggling with what to do at all during the 1st 'true' phase I am now getting better at knowing when to be aggressive and am getting the counter timing down.

One thing I have noticed is how tight the Mikiri counter feels for the thrusts...I am fine everywhere else in the game but here the attacks feels super close to the symbol flash.

Phase two is still a bit of a mystery to me, I can just run around and get some cheap shots in but my best run was actually by maintaining the aggression with lots of good blocks. I think I need to get more consistent in phase one still to carry over more heals to make aggression viable.

Definitely think it's going to take me a few more nights yet.

Conscience

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Question regarding the endings of the game.

To get the return ending do I need to defeat Owl for the second time? If I'm going for return and kill him, even with all the proper steps completed, does the game give me the other ending? It's not entirely clear in the guides I was looking at.

Oct 27, 2017

To get the return ending do I need to defeat Owl for the second time? If I'm going for return and kill him, even with all the proper steps completed, does the game give me the other ending? It's not entirely clear in the guides I was looking at.
Yes you need a specific item from that battle to get that ending.

Basically after the final boss, if you have the items required for multiple endings, it'll ask you which items you want to use.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017

No. You only have to defeat him for Purification ending.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

You don't need to defeat Owl v2 for the Return Ending, but you can if you want to. Owl v2 is required for Purification only. For Return you need to get both serpent visceras and trade rice/persimmons with the Divine Child a few times.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, thanks, will try that. But it's silly that we have to resort to these cheese tactics. I don't know what From expects us to do. Abuse the AI like that or actually fight the mobs.

For the ninja with the dogs, throw a shuriken. He takes forever to actually end of whistling so a quick shuriken thrown will do the trick. And stay on his ass.

For Jozuo two, get close behind a rock, pop a sneaky sugar candy and then use the finger whistle to summon the ninja. Backstab him when he turns his back to you.

None of the above requires cheese. From isn't one of those studios that puts things out just for the sake of doing so. There is always a way even if you havent thought of it yet.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can also use shurikens to interrupt the boss's whistle so he can't summon any of the wolves to assist him

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Been really loving this game, but losing my will to push on, despite having just made it to the "end".

Coming back to Ashina Castle after defeating the Divine Dragon and finding that all the idols reset AGAIN just killed me. I was a bit annoyed when they pulled this trick the first time - the new enemies added didn't add much to the sense of exploration. It felt more like a chore to go back and re-unlock all the idols. Doing it a 3rd time is just... bah. From reading some stuff here it sounds like there is at least one new boss - but I'm kind of tempted to just do the last boss and end it at this point. Especially reading how Demon of Hate is tough, and knowing that I've got my work cut out for me on the final boss anyways.

Such a shame - I've loved playing this game, but it weirdly seems to have overstayed it's welcome as I've reached the end.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to kill the final boss without getting hit and with 0 beads. After a no R1 run I think I am done till the DLC hits. What a game.

Good shit. That was awesome to watch. Well done.

Makes me feel inferior since I just ran around and only attacked once after baiting his jump attack. Took a while but it worked. I think I got him in under 15 tries.

My biggest roadblock was top of the castle version 1. It probably took 40 attempts there.

Oct 29, 2017
Finally got a good days play in. Staring to het through to the end. I'm in
Fountainhead Palace
now.

I did all the side quests for the different endings although I still need to beat
Owl
for the second time

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017

I mean you can use game mechanics to accomplish the same thing instead of using de-aggro. Mountain Echo is there for a reason.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I took a break (both intentional and being busy) for a week when I got to

Great Shinobi Owl

And now that I'm trying it for real, I really do not like this fight.

I get what I'm supposed to do with baiting the overhead lunge or smoke ball attack out; but I have the worst RNG luck and he barely does the overhead on my attempts, and it feels random whether I dodge the anti-heal or it manages to hit me despite it looking like I dodged it. Instead he just rushes me down and breaks my posture over and over. Just waiting for him to do those attacks so I can slash him once (mixed with the occasional firecracker), and not having any perilous attack opportunities to try and go for just makes it feel really boring as I'm microscopically chipping away at his health until it gets to the point where I can do meaningful posture damage.

I also get that it's supposed to be a "fight a guy who shares your moves!" type boss, but the fact that his moveset and abilities directly or indirectly nullify yours makes it feel more like I'm just being restricted.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017

Great Shinobi Owl

I get what I'm supposed to do with baiting the overhead lunge or smoke ball attack out; but I have the worst RNG luck and he barely does the overhead on my attempts, and it feels random whether I dodge the anti-heal or it manages to hit me despite it looking like I dodged it. Instead he just rushes me down and breaks my posture over and over. Just waiting for him to do those attacks so I can slash him once (mixed with the occasional firecracker), and not having any perilous attack opportunities to try and go for just makes it feel really boring as I'm microscopically chipping away at his health until it gets to the point where I can do meaningful posture damage.

I also get that it's supposed to be a "fight a guy who shares your moves!" type boss, but the fact that his move set and abilities directly or indirectly nullify yours makes it feel more like I'm just being restricted.
You should be pressing him, if you're not on the offensive he will just build up so much momentum.

I recorded this for a previous poster who was having a real hard time with that fight so they could see how a more aggressive strategy plays out.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Great Shinobi Owl

I also get that it's supposed to be a "fight a guy who shares your moves!" type boss, but the fact that his moveset and abilities directly or indirectly nullify yours makes it feel more like I'm just being restricted.

Walk towards him and hit him until he deflects your attack. He'll usually follow up with a two or 3 hit combo of his own and then jump back with a kick. Deflect his attacks (and the kick!) and walk towards him again. Keep the pressure on. If he has his back against a wall use the shuriken - slash followup and get on his face. There's not much he can do at that point other than try to hit you back or deflect. This is when you can inflict the most posture damage.

If he uses his anti-healing bomb, just keep hitting him and as you hit him he'll get pushed back enough that the bomb won't hit you. If you dodge the overhead slam use Ichimonji (double if you already have it) for huge posture / Vitality damage.

As always Ako's sugar helps him go down faster.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
You should be pressing him, if you're not on the offensive he will just build up so much momentum.

I recorded this for a previous poster who was having a real hard time with that fight so they could see how a more aggressive strategy plays out.

Walk towards him and hit him until he deflects your attack. He'll usually follow up with a two or 3 hit combo of his own and then jump back with a kick. Deflect his attacks (and the kick!) and walk towards him again. Keep the pressure on. If he has his back against a wall use the shuriken - slash followup and get on his face. There's not much he can do at that point other than try to hit you back or deflect. This is when you can inflict the most posture damage.

If he uses his anti-healing bomb, just keep hitting him and as you hit him he'll get pushed back enough that the bomb won't hit you. If you dodge the overhead slam use Ichimonji (double if you already have it) for huge posture / Vitality damage.

As always Ako's sugar helps him go down faster.

The weird thing is, I started out trying to be aggressive, it just... didn't work? It felt like 90% of the time he would suddenly bust out a move and trade me, and that's obviously not a fight I'm going to win, so i eventually gave up because it felt like the game was suddenly telling me "hey, this aggression lesson we've taught you the whole time? forget it" which felt... really weird.

I'll admit I got tilted from a few instances of bullshit, like those goddamned doors that you won't realize you're stuck on until it's too late, or once I firecrackered his lunge, he went into his stun animation in mid-air... and then like, his feet touching the floor canceled his stun so he immediately snapped from the stun animation to slashing me with a combo the second I went to slash him.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the game over the weekend (last boss took approx 5 hours) and got the Return ending. Didn't use any guides or tips whatsoever and it looks like the only thing I missed out on were the two prayer beads from the two hidden bosses
after going back to Hirata estate
but the eavesdropping requirements on that were quite specific so not something I probably would've found on my own anyways. Quite surprised I managed to do the rest of the side quests, dialogue options and find all items (basically everything in the game minus those 2 prayer beads) without a guide so it seems FROM is making the game a bit more intuitive in regards to this sorta stuff because it was a lot more obscure or random in previous games and I would normally miss more things on my 1st playthrough (I only look at guides etc after finishing the first run to see what I missed). The game did however feel less mysterious and atmospheric though so I would prefer they go back to their old style and make the story take a backseat again as it's way more immersive for me to really feel lost in their worlds.

Overall 10/10 but I think it might be their weakest game yet because it was so short and the combat options are so limited. I think the prosthetic weapons are great but they're kinda overpowered so they tied it to this stingy spirit emblem system but I think if they reduced their power and spirit emblem cost it would lead to more variety in the combat....I dunno I just felt the system wasn't as balanced/well thought out. There also didn't seem to be any real big secret areas, because all the secret areas I thought I found ended up being essential for the story and were later revealed how to get there during dialogue lol. I do however think the difficulty is on par with their previous games, a lot of bosses seem very hard but there are also more options to cheese so it evens things out so to me the difficulty was perfect.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The weird thing is, I started out trying to be aggressive, it just... didn't work? It felt like 90% of the time he would suddenly bust out a move and trade me, and that's obviously not a fight I'm going to win, so i eventually gave up because it felt like the game was suddenly telling me "hey, this aggression lesson we've taught you the whole time? forget it" which felt... really weird.

I'll admit I got tilted from a few instances of bullshit, like those goddamned doors that you won't realize you're stuck on until it's too late, or once I firecrackered his lunge, he went into his stun animation in mid-air... and then like, his feet touching the floor canceled his stun so he immediately snapped from the stun animation to slashing me with a combo the second I went to slash him.

If you are trading blows is because you got a bit greedy with your attacks. All enemies in the game are programmed to deflect your second or third R1, and it's a way in which the game communicates that it's your turn to deflect. You can keep the pressure on if you pay attention to his deflects and switch back and forth between offense and defense.
I feel Owl and Ghost Corrupted Monk are the bosses that function around this mechanic the most since their posture recovers so quick.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
If you are trading blows is because you got a bit greedy with your attacks. All enemies in the game are programmed to deflect your second or third R1, and it's a way in which the game communicates that it's your turn to deflect. You can keep the pressure on if you pay attention to his deflects and switch back and forth between offense and defense.
I feel like I'm doing that, though. The line between "aggressive" and "greedy" feels extremely arbitrary at times.

Anyway, I got to his second phase, then died because he somehow hit me despite clearly dodging his overhead several times.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't think I could've beaten the last boss without cheesing the later phases but after being fed up I decided to learn to face him and fight him as the game intended. Took him down after four hours of trying over the weekend, feels good!

The best part about beating the game, watching the rage and reaction vids on youtube!

The wooooo guy and Guardian Ape second phase reactions killed me

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
just beat the last boss, nothing like some good old resetera user tips to cheer me up
the parry parry parry attack really helped

now that with a clear mind, the boss is actualy fair, his last phase was surprisingly one of the easiest, now to ng+ for the other choice.