• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It would feel fine to me, because I already won the first fight. Plenty of times. The cutscene means it's a separate fight which I'm not getting enough time to learn because resources get wasted on the first phase.

How do I reverse the lightning? The tooltip only popped once and I can't figure out how to. Now I keep dying on the first phase cause it's boring and I'm trying to rush through it.
you can read the text on the wall scroll beneath the boss arena where you fought the Ashina Elite and got the eel liver
You jump before he shoots the lightning at you, be in the air when it hits you and you can attack it back with R1 at him to stun him and do damage and you're done with him. You'll get stunned if you're grounded, so keep that in mind.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In ng++ now and switched to english audio, it's so "anime" compared to their other titles, outside of a few cases. The main character sounds like he's trying to do a solid snake impression lol.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I am worried that my game is bugged... does anyone know...

why the bell might not be appearing for me in the temple?

I've done the following :

- beat the boss of Ashina castle
- talked to Kuno who told me to follow the smoke to Isshin
- gone to Isshin at the 2nd location
- did his rat killing quest to get a new skill tree
- exhausted his dialogue
- the kid still tells me to go find Isshin

Still no bell at the temple. What else could I be missing to make it appear at the table? The monk in front of it says basically nothing.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is possibly the most divisive FromSoft Game yet looking at the reviews.

And I thought Bloodborne rustled some Jimmies back in the day.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- exhausted his dialogue

Still no bell at the temple. What else could I be missing to make it appear at the table? The monk in front of it says basically nothing.
you gotta go find him again in the same place as before

Oct 28, 2017
The gourd seeds you can buy from a merchant. Are they finite? Because I bought one earlier and expected that to be that so I'm very surprised another one is availale to purchase now at the same guy.

Wait ignore that it's not actually available to purchase lol

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm very early and I'm getting kind of frustrated. It's not the mini bosses that are frustrating (even though I'm dying a lot), it's the stealth areas with a lot of guys that are frustrating. I have to clear them all out to get a viable shot at the miniboss who I'm likely to die to a few times until I learn his moves. Am I missing something, or is everyone else having the same struggles? Is it like this the whole game? I actually like the stealth areas but doing a million times to get to the miniboss is killing me. I'm currently doing the miniboss that is in the area next to the sign that says something about the headless. Early in the game.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017

- exhausted his dialogue

When you say second location, you're talking about the room in the castle that he chills in his bathrobe right? Talking to isshin out in the world when he is dressed as a tengu at the 2 spots you can find him doesn't count I think.

RobotMoses

Jun 3, 2018
Finally beat the final boss. Holy crap that was a pain. I don't think I've ever screamed out "that's so bullshit!" as much as I have in the last three hours! Hahah. It's been one hell of a ride, From.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm very early and I'm getting kind of frustrated. It's not the mini bosses that are frustrating (even though I'm dying a lot), it's the stealth areas with a lot of guys that are frustrating. I have to clear them all out to get a viable shot at the miniboss who I'm likely to die to a few times until I learn his moves. Am I missing something, or is everyone else having the same struggles? Is it like this the whole game? I actually like the stealth areas but doing a million times to get to the miniboss is killing me. I'm currently doing the miniboss that is in the area next to the sign that says something about the headless. Early in the game.
I'm only a few (mini?)bosses into the game and having to deal with the random enemies surrounding the boss definitely gets old quick. Especially since you can't slice through them like you could in a Souls game.

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Perfect timing on the title, I just did that part last night and was laughing at the looney tunes ending.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beaten
Owl

This fucker, this motherfucker, I hate this guy more than the lightning G. I can deflect his sword attacks, can tolerate his anti item rebuff, but that explosion move, all my goodness that fucking explosion move and that smokescreen are the 2 most annoying things not to mention that second phase lingering poison, it really fuck my rhythm up and make me panic, l'm nearly 1 hit away from killing him but I unknowingly did a thrust attack which he mikiri counter me and I died. Gawd I was so fucking angry for that stupid mistake. Took me a good solid hour to beat him.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not surprised after playing it lol

those who hate souls will REALLY hate this one. even harder, more punishing, and you can't even summon lol

I'm finding it's actually the players who like souls who seem to dislike this game. They expected it to be Dark souls: Japan I think. Tbh I don't like Souls games very much as far as gameplay is concerned, but Sekiro is a 10/10 game for me. The combat just scratches that itch far better than anything in souls.

Haven't played BB though

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the majority of the reviews were overwhelmingly positive? Trudging through the later parts of the game I'd probably ding it a point or so for the re-use of assets. It feels too much like padding. Well I mean it is padding, so thats no surprise.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Genichiro

Ugh, took me an hour last night just to get one deathblow on his first phase. He doesn't feel cheap, I can deflect and keep myself alive for quite a awhile, but I just can't seem to stay alive AND get enough damage in to wreck his posture. Maybe I'm playing it too safe?
You need to nail the Mikari Step and Jump Step to fuck his posture up.

In the first phase he will always do a thrust after he jumps up and slams his sword on the ground, you can Mikari step that really easily. Yes you have to be aggressive but also be careful not to leave yourself too open.

2nd phase is much like the first except when he does his sword slam he alternates between a swipe and a thrust, also he kicks up dust so it's hard to see what it is, so either really concentrate or when he does the initial jump, jump away.

Let me know when you kill his 2nd phase.

All in all though, to beat this boss you need to have this kind of moment:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the majority of the reviews were overwhelmingly positive? Trudging through the later parts of the game I'd probably ding it a point or so for the re-use of assets. It feels too much like padding. Well I mean it is padding, so thats no surprise.
I think that's expected for a sekiroulsborne at this point

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beaten
Owl

This fucker, this motherfucker, I hate this guy more than the lightning G. I can deflect his sword attacks, can tolerate his anti item rebuff, but that explosion move, all my goodness that fucking explosion move and that smokescreen are the 2 most annoying things not to mention that second phase lingering poison, it really fuck my rhythm up and make me panic, l'm nearly 1 hit away from killing him but I unknowingly did a thrust attack which he mikiri counter me and I died. Gawd I was so fucking angry for that stupid mistake. Took me a good solid hour to beat him.

The explosion move is actually a pretty decent chance to counter attack once you're used to it. When he throws out the gun powder, pause a second then dodge forward as he swings to set it off and you won't get hit and can follow up with your own hit.

The poison sucks though, and anything a boss does to make you drop your lock on is a pain, agreed

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I was a little disappointed to run into a THIRD drunkard, but overall it hasn't bothered me much. Going back to early areas of the game and fighting what used to be minibosses as normal enemies works pretty well for me.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
you need to jump and so that you're in the air when you get hit, then use r1 to reflect it back before you hit the ground.

That doesn't seem to be working. If I jump when he does lightning he just waits til I land and it hit me anyway.

This game is so much more frustrating and tedious than Dark Souls ever was.
I'm about to give up on fighting Genichiro cause to learn his second phase, I have to beat the first phase which means taking 5-8 minutes and playing relatively perfectly and doing the same thing over and over just to try and survive longer than a minute against the second phase.

Don't wanna bother fighting the samurai with the five guys with guns because every time I have to stealth kill each gun guy one at a time and then jump to the roofs and wait for the aggro to go down before fighting the samurai.

Don't wanna bother with curing the 4 NPCs with Dragonrot cause I'd have to grind out money to buy the item to deal with it.

More than anything, this game is just testing my patience and the amount of tedium I can deal with in any one sitting.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm finding it's actually the players who like souls who seem to dislike this game. They expected it to be Dark souls: Japan I think. Tbh I don't like Souls games very much as far as gameplay is concerned, but Sekiro is a 10/10 game for me. The combat just scratches that itch far better than anything in souls.

Haven't played BB though
i mean there is some aspect of that too absolutely

so if you disliked the difficulty aspect of souls

or if you really liked how souls combat plays

there's a chance you'll dislike this too

i'm having a very tough time adapting from souls combat to this game myself tbqh, but thankfully i'm having fun with that process

and i'm rediscovering that side of me that can figure out cheese tactics which brings me back to when i played demon's souls lol. felt really good figuring out that you can use
ash, oil and flame
to trivialize seven spears, or
shurikens
to wreck the purple asshole

Oct 26, 2017
UK

For that particular boss have you unlocked the idol to the left of the broken bridge? Have to grapple down a little but if you start from there you can stealth all the goons in like 2 minutes tops because you start behind them all.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
yeah i really dislike redoing the stealth sections for another shot at a mini boss too

i guess many mini bosses are optional. maybe i should exploit that more often

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
When you say second location, you're talking about the room in the castle that he chills in his bathrobe right? Talking to isshin out in the world when he is dressed as a tengu at the 2 spots you can find him doesn't count I think.

This was it, I think!

I didn't find him in the obvious spot (he wasn't there when I checked... just the bird men downstairs), but he reappeared there later.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
So the
Guardian Ape
is possibly the best boss fight in all From Software games right? at least top 3 IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
i guess many mini bosses are optional. maybe i should exploit that more often

I'll repost from the review thread:
I dont really understand how minibosses can be considered optional when they upgrade your stats. Not doing them is like gimping yourself intentionally. Thats like saying all of BotW is optional because you can go straight to the end game.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't get to play yesterday, having withdrawls.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I dont really understand how minibosses can be considered optional when they upgrade your stats. Not doing them is like gimping yourself intentionally. Thats like saying all of BotW is optional because you can go straight to the end game.
well

it means you can go elsewhere to explore and get more items, equipment, upgrades, skill points and bead necklaces

and then return later

that's kind of a big deal actually

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Just got home for lunch, figured while my pizza was in the oven let me try a go at the staff guy with two bars at the Hirata estate, beat him on my first try!!!!! So excited, when I play tonight i'll finally be past him.

Dont know how, but everything clicked and I just went ham on him and countered perfectly. Im so pumped right now!

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Killing the final boss is the most satisfying feeling any game can evoke. You'll know why once you fight him/her/it

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've found the Ichimonji and Ichimonji Double to be HUGE helps. If you're good enough to deflect his attack waves, he'll stand still for a few moments at which point you SLAM down the sword on him (twice if you have double) and shred a good 15% of his posture. Sometimes, you can attempt another one immediately after if he is doing a slow charging attack, but there's some risk involved.
Yup Ichimonji/Double are super helpful with a number of tougher enemies/bosses. Even the same Samurai who use it on you get wrecked by it quite a lot. A lot of bosses and enemies have moves that leave them vulnerable for a couple seconds which is the perfect opportunity to use a Charged Ichimonji and follow-up to do some solid Posture damage on them and recover your Posture from the onslaught you just blocked.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, OT2 is here like wolf reborn. Let's go.

On another note, it looks like the console versions have had a patch or two. When will we get it for PC? Curious what will happen there.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017

You shouldn't skip all of them obviously, but there are some minibosses i thanked the gods themselves that they didn't gate my progress and I could come back later to beat them

mainly the duo before the last boss.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
well

it means you can go elsewhere to explore and get more items, equipment, upgrades, skill points and bead necklaces

and then return later

that's kind of a big deal actually
This. Although you have everything you need to face them first time you encounter them. Either way works tho.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm starting to get into the late game. I think this might be the best game From has ever made.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. Took me 157 minutes to beat the final boss.

30 hours to complete the game.

Best game this year by far. From and Miyazaki outdone themselves yet again. Beautiful.