• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did some clean up before starting NG+ to get the last Gourd Seed I was missing and remaining Prayer Beads. Sucks, but it looks like two Prayer Beads are stuck behind a specific ending's path. I'll definitely go for that one on my next run.

Also going to be using that mod/trainer that everyone talks about to unlock the frame rate next run. Maybe that will make deflecting easier!

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I think I'm good at this game, a mini-boss wrecks me. I think I need to remap the dodge button to match Bloodborne lol

Absolutely beautiful game though, incredible atmosphere. And the shrine NPCs are wonderful!

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried playing the BB, and Souls games after playing Sekiro?

What do you think?

I went back to Dark Souls 3. Ran through most of the game again to get the rest of the miracles for the achievement since I had darkmoon blade already

Besides pressing the wrong buttons to heal and stuff, it's fine. I was definitely missing the speed of movement and freely jumping but settled into Souls controls after a while. I wasn't able to parry Sulyvhan at all, my deflect skills ruined my parry skills.

Boss fights are better in Sekiro than any Souls game though. Especially when you're OP and can tank hits and swig 20 estus. Bosses in Sekiro never got trivialized like that for me. Although I do like it in Dark Souls because I play the bosses over and over in co-op

EDIT: specifically in DS3, I'm overpowered for any boss in the vanilla game and then the Ringed City DLC bosses expect you to be level 300000

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
There's something I noticed watching the stream that I never saw in my game. At Senpou, near the red and white pinwheel, he encountered a black colored Ashina swordsman, almost like a phantom (it was the ones wearing blue that were inside the castle). I never experienced that in my game. What are the conditions for this appearing? Perhaps it's because I cleared this part before doing the bosses at Ashina Castle. (Or maybe I'm just forgetting it.)

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
There's something I noticed watching the stream that I never saw in my game. At Senpou, near the red and white pinwheel, he encountered a black colored Ashina swordsman, almost like a phantom (it was the ones wearing blue that were inside the castle). I never experienced that in my game. What are the conditions for this appearing? Perhaps it's because I cleared this part before doing the bosses at Ashina Castle.

Killing the Ghost Corrupted Monk triggers those encounters. They are all over the place. There another Ashina Swordsman on the bridge that leads to the priest's house in Mibu village, and also a ton of Phantom Ninjar in Minu village and the entrance to the forest.

In Ashina Outskirts, in a hiddenish area that leads to one of the headless that requires the Breathing technique to access, there are three of those Phantom Swordsmen that spawn at once. It's pretty tricky actually.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Killing the Ghost Corrupted Monk triggers those encounters. They are all over the place. There another Ashina Swordsman on the bridge that leads to the priest's house in Mibu village, and also a ton of Phantom Ninjar in Minu village and the entrance to the forest.

In Ashina Outskirts, in a hiddenish area that leads to one of the headless that requires the Breathing technique to access, there are three of those Phantom Swordsmen that spawn at once. It's pretty tricky actually.
I see, thanks. I never seemed to see them on my initial playthrough.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that's entirely correct, because on my first playthrough I had phantoms in Mibu Village, which was before killing the Monk.

I think it's just tied to getting 2 of the 3 items needed for Severance.

Killing the Monk before Genichiro on NG+ also didn't make the phantoms instantly spawn in the other areas.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's entirely correct, because on my first playthrough I had phantoms in Mibu Village, which was before killing the Monk.

Killing the Monk before Genichiro on NG+ also didn't make the phantoms instantly spawn in the other areas.
I see. I achieved that particular ending but still didn't see them. I think I just got everything done before they appeared and never went back I guess.

Edit:

I actually did not do the Severance ending, but the Return ending. I suppose you are right in that if you have simply triggered the path for Immortal Severance, it will spawn those enemies. The streamer has not reached Fountainhead yet, but beat Owl and lit the incense.

I also killed Corrupted Monk in Mibu before Genichiro, which would help point to this.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

That could very well be the case, since I always kill the monk before the Ape but always after the Folding Monkeys, thus triggering the phantoms until after defeating the Monk.

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Same experience with me, I think it's when it gets darker since it says in the loading screen that "vengeful spirits" or something like that roam the land at the end of the day.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm back at the fight against Genichiro and I just don't get it.
I don't know what it is, but I feel like the is something quit unforgiving on when you exactly you try to block or deflect shots.
This is really not fun anymore.

This boss is meant to really teach you about and get you good at parrying. Up until now you've mostly parried one at a time and now you are going to be rapid parrying. L1........L1 is now often L1L1L1. Tap-tap-tap-taptap

Here is a good strategy:

Okay, first 2 phases is all about generating posture damage for a deathblow. You want to chip away at his health, but only to increase the rate of posture damage. You want to deflect most everything and really try to trigger 2 things. 1) His leaping sword attack, many dodge away from this and attack, but this is actually better for posture damage+health damage, so I recommend hanging in and parrying, in the first phase he always follows this with a thrust, so immediately Mikiri counter when the red kanji comes up followed by a strike. In 2nd phase its almost always a swipe so jump when you see the kanji symbol and bounce of his head for more posture and 2 strikes on the way down 2) His flurry of attacks which you rapid parry (taptaptaptap.....on L1), this builds up big time posture damage on him.

I recommend more just hitting him once to provoke his attacks in first 2 phases and then parrying for posture. You need to do some health damage to make his posture build faster, but really not more than a 1/3 or 1/2 of his health will do the trick. So get in hits when you can, but look for the 2 things I mentioned.

Third phase for me is more unpredictable. He's way more susceptible to damage from regular strike so stay on him and be aggressive (in fact stay on him in all phases). Try to make sure you get good enough in first 2 phases that you enter with a resurrection and decent health. He attacks right off which you can Mikiri or dodge and attack.....and repeats that attack when you heal, so you can use your healing to generate an attack/posture damage opportunity. Main thing is avoiding or countering the lightening......be ready to jump and spam R1 in the air that way you can either dodge it or counter it if you get hit.....but mainly keep attacking and try to get his posture up for the deathblow.

I think if you practice you'll end up really enjoying the parrying - its largely about defense in this fight. After a while you should be able to parry everything he throws at you in first 2 phases.....if you are blocking, you're doing it wrong. No shame in this taking several hours to get by, but extremely rewarding feeling when you do and you'll feel much better about your parrying skills and abilities moving forward.

Last edited:

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Not been able to play Sekiro for the past week but reading this thread more avidly to compensate. Seems I'm sleeping on items and stockpiling waay too much. Confetti and sugar coming out of my ears here. On the flip side all this hoarding meant I never bothered with merchants, and consequently never discovered Firecrackers. Talk about making a game needlessly difficult for yourself.

My RB suffered the same fate playing DS3. Switched to DualShock for Sekiro as I feared the same fate for my remaining XB1 controller. Where did you buy the replacement parts?

i bought these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7PQJRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 should arrive tomorrow... we'll see how well they work. never done it before, gonna follow this guide

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Bit the bullet and switched to the PC version and holy Shinobi does that make a difference. The PC version is leaps and bounds better than the PS4 version. I can now actually deflect and Mikiri counter reliably, it's stable 60 FPS and the reduced input lag is very noticeable.

I started an NG and five hours in I'm already at Genichiro Ashina and Lady Butterfly and I simply murdered every mini boss and boss between the dilapidated temple and him. Gyoubu first try, bull no problem, Seven Spears got Mikiri countered into his next life. Dojo boss didn't even see me coming.

Only the chained ogre is still a massive nuisance.

Granted I'm much better at the game than I was in my first play through but the PC version controls and feels so much better.

I'll grab the PC version when I finally build my PC later this year and start from the scratch. FROM really should've prioritized performance on consoles (like NiOH) no matter what the res is and get that steady 60 fps at constant low latency. Can't believe they dropped the ball again.

How do I open the locked door after defeating the spider giraffe miniboss?

After you beat Genichiro, talk to Kuro and Emma until all dialog are exhausted. Reset to idol or fast travel outside and come back until Kuro is in the library on the left. The Gun fort key is behind him

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Made it past the True Corrupted Monk last night. This was more difficult than I expected. Thoughts on this boss (strategy and boss detail spoilers):

Maybe the reason this boss hasn't been as highly rated for difficulty was because there were stealth deathblow opportunities prior to the recent patch? None that I could identify in v1.03. So this was 3 full phases for me. He looks simple in the videos and I had seen him enough in the demos that I thought he wouldn't be so hard. But there is a cadence to his swings that you have to get used to, and unlike some other bosses there are a lot of split second decisions even after you know his moveset.

His red kanjis alternate with no pattern I could identify between thrust and swipe attacks, and really those are the important moments in the first 2 phases whether you build up his posture big time or get a 1/2 to 3/4 reduction to your health if you misread.

Also managing my own posture was more important here than anywhere else it seemed like, because generally I preferred to parry his leaping attack rather than dodge because I had a hard time reading whether a vertical or horizontal swipe was coming - again he's more unpredictable than previous bosses in this respect (eg, Father Owl 1.0 and Genichiro always did vertical strikes when leaping). Parrying one of his vertical sword drops with high posture, he'd just go right through it and again 1/2 to 3/4 health reduction.

Also the shadow part took a while for me to figure out as I'd get hit often swinging on trees. Luckily I remembered someone doing that thing on the ground where you run to middle of bridge and slowly move forward as each shadow appears and then keep repeating.

3rd Phase not too bad although lost here a couple of times while I figured out his terror attack. No longer a posture thing, but firecrackers and sugars did wonders here.

Great boss all around, not too bad, but way more difficult than I was expecting. Once I started to learn the posture stuff in the first 2 phases though it became relatively easy, but it took me a lot longer to get there than I thought it would.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Maybe the reason this boss hasn't been as highly rated for difficulty was because there were stealth deathblow opportunities prior to the recent patch?

His red kanjis alternate with no pattern I could identify between thrust and swipe attacks, and really those are the important moments in the first 2 phases whether you build up his posture big time or get a 1/2 to 3/4 reduction to your health if you misread.

Also the shadow part took a while for me to figure out as I'd get hit often swinging on trees. Luckily I remembered someone doing that thing on the ground where you run to middle of bridge and slowly move forward as each shadow appears and then keep repeating.

Great boss all around, not too bad, but way more difficult than I was expecting. Once I started to learn the posture stuff in the first 2 phases though it became relatively easy, but it took me a lot longer to get there than I thought it would.

Actually there's still a stealth deathblow opportunity at the beginning of the second phase. While she's busy doing the shadow projections you can leap from one of the trees and land a deathblow. What they patched out was the ability to do it at the beginning of the fight to skip the first phase as well.

As for the perilous attacks, like 99% of encounters, the rule of thumb is: they charge to their left; sweep; they charge to their right; thrust. This eliminates ambiguity 100% of the time.

Overall I'd say this is my favorite boss in the game. Not too difficult; not too easy; deflecting is very rewarding, and you can make the fight longer or shorter if you like by skipping the second phase. It's also a boss that can be beaten without R1s, just by deflecting, even by mortal scrubs like me.

I remember when they showed this boss way back in August during Gamescom and I thought: this looks awesome; I want to fight this boss right now.

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
I'm back at the fight against Genichiro and I just don't get it.
I don't know what it is, but I feel like the is something quit unforgiving on when you exactly you try to block or deflect shots.
This is really not fun anymore.

I think it helps if you start thinking that your chance to get the advantage is when he attacks. He does a slow charge and then swings like 6~7 times. They are easy to deflect and it does a lot of posture damage. Also, if you are attacking, switch to deflecting once he gets a perfect deflect on you. Once you get that down, the only danger is his bow.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah as far as I've seen, all enemies hold their weapons in their right hand. So if they lean on their left (your right), its a sweep, and opposite for thrust.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah as far as I've seen, all enemies hold their weapons in their right hand. So if they lean on their left (your right), its a sweep, and opposite for thrust.

Curiously, one of the few exceptions is
Isshin Sword Saint, since in his second and third phase he holds the spear in his left hand, which means his thrust will come from his left. It's one of the easiest mikiris to land in the game, so it's no big deal.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Actually there's still a stealth deathblow opportunity at the beginning of the second phase. While she's busy doing the shadow projections you can leap from one of the trees and land a deathblow. What they patched out was the ability to do it at the beginning of the fight to skip the first phase as well.

As for the perilous attacks, like 99% of encounters, the rule of thumb is: they charge to their left; sweep; they charge to their right; thrust. This eliminates ambiguity 100% of the time.

Overall I'd say this is my favorite boss in the game. Not too difficult; not too easy; deflecting is very rewarding, and you can make the fight longer or shorter if you like by skipping the second phase. It's also a boss that can be beaten without R1s, just by deflecting, even by mortal scrubs like me.

I remember when they showed this boss way back in August during Gamescom and I thought: this looks awesome; I want to fight this boss right now.

I had wondered about the 2nd phase stealth deathblow opportunity, but to be honest I was so out of sorts up in the trees I just trying to move like crazy that I couldn't figure it out. Somewhat glad I didn't so I can say I made it through all 3 phases.

That's really good advice on the perilous and I still have not mastered it yet. You really can see what he's going to do, but the problem for me was that I would get so caught up in the timing of the parries that I would forget to look for it or I was predicting rather than watching. On my late near success and successful runs I had to keep repeating to myself, "watch her" and once I stayed focused on her and not what I was doing it was the key.

Yes, and I did see a youtube video this morning after beating him last night of someone doing it with no offense but deathblows. He also really holds his posture damage way more than other enemies. Genichiro is probably the most similar enemy - 3 phases, first 2 posture-based, last phase more unique and aggressive but open to vitality damage......but Genichiro recovers his posture damage way more if you leave him alone or if he starts landing attacks.

Agree though, great boss. On the whole the bosses in this game are amazing, that is one area where it surpasses for me the base game of Bloodborne - that is the bosses in Bloodborne in the base game aside from DLC/chalice content. This 1 boss a night stuff feels like I'm doing the latter Bloodborne chalice dungeons, lol. I'm admittedly worried about the last boss and what I've heard about DOH and Father Owl 2.0

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Many of us thought she'd be one of the early bosses and I was a bit disappointed that they'd revealed a late(ish)-game / area boss.

I was lucky enough to play that demo, so I was surprised when I found the Monk in Mibu and the encounter had changed to a different setting, different appearance and a single phase, and it dawned on me that another version must still be out there because they surely wouldn't have scrapped the better fight.

In fact, throughout the game I was expecting her to be a Senpou boss because of similar environments and believed a part of Senpou was still hidden away or something. I think most players who avoided the early footage would've been surprised by the True Monk showing up later, but her dramatic arrival was wasted on me lol.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The Ghost Monk is my only complaint regarding reused content in this game. It cheapens the real Monk fight, since you already know the boss by then and also the Ghost version is harder since its posture recovers instantly, so you need to slowly wittle down her vitality until posture damage sticks.

Maybe they had a different boss planned for that area and then ran out of time and had to pull a Mortal Kombat 1 palette swap in the last minute. I can imagine that there was quite a bit of work involved in designing these bosses.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
100_trophy_sekirou7j2m.jpg

100% Trophy Get. I forgot to look at my save file, but at the end of NG I was on 92 hours, so I'd probably say another 10-15 on top of that to go through NG+ to get the LL and then save scum back to get the Shura ending.

Scraped through on the thinest of threads at the end of NG+ - Used all heals, Fine Snow, Rice Ball, first time ever using a Juzo statue - I fucking hate how spammy the last boss is with his fire attacks once you start getting their HP down. It was literally just a constant string of them, I actually killed him by mashing parry to the big burst of slashes after the all-screen fire attack, half HP, backed in a corner, just put on some confetti so I thought I didn't have time to block, out of heals, there was nothing I could do but mash L1 and hope to get out of it alive.

When I killed SSI at the end of NG I felt relief and a little bit of accomplishment, but here I just felt glad it was over mixed with a little resentment at all the dropped inputs I suppose I can now attribute to being a console peasant. I'm fascinated to see how different it is on PC, maybe I'll get the 'true' experience remastered on PS5 one day(!)

With previous From Soft titles right about now, I'd be continuing on in NG+ or planning new builds. With nothing to gain by doing so other than gimping myself on hardcore challenge runs, I think I'm done until the DLC comes out - which I'm kind of dreading, given how previous DLCs have tended to use the game as the baseline difficulty and go up from there.

Fantastic game, a little bit out of my league in terms of difficulty (how much of that was me sucking and how much was console performance, I've no idea). The stress (exhileration?) of the boss combat wasn't always to my taste - you just have to be constantly mindful and quicker on the draw than any of the previous games, and it's not something that I always enjoyed - I prefer the paced combat of Souls, where the boss will perform an attack and like here you are learning those attacks, but you dodge and then the boss has recovery animation where your successful dodge allows you to get hits in - Here it's kind of the same thing, but it's so much more relentless, there's virtually no downtime in boss fights and I found it exhausting. When it clicked it was amazing, when it didn't, I was frustrated and befuddled.

My favourite bosses were Owl (Father), Guardian Ape, Corrupted Monk, Demon of Hate - largely the bosses I liked were bigger enemies with clear attack patterns.

Actually feel like playing some Demon's or Dark Souls now tbh - I've been thinking about a spear build in DS3 since I started to dig them in DS1 recently. Or maybe just a nice, comfy stroll through Lordran. Maybe an SL1 run with base equipment and no healing, you know something nice and easy compared to Sekiro!! :p

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
The Ghost Monk is my only complaint regarding reused content in this game. It cheapens the real Monk fight, since you already know the boss by then and also the Ghost version is harder since its posture recovers instantly, so you need to slowly wittle down her vitality until posture damage sticks.

Maybe they had a different boss planned for that area and then ran out of time and had to pull a Mortal Kombat 1 palette swap in the last minute. I can imagine that there was quite a bit of work involved in designing these bosses.
You can literally kill Ghost Monk without her having time to even swing at you. She's probably the easiest and fastest boss fight in the game.
Snap Seed, R1, Snap Seed, R1, Snap Seed, R1, then alternate between firecracker and R1.
For even faster results, put on Ako's Sugar alongside Confetti. She'll die inside 30 seconds without having pulled off a single attack.

symphonask

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a nice bit of lore discussion and theory on a particular element in Sekiro's end game area relating to an element that comes from Japanese culture. I though it was strange and curious when I first encountered it, but no one is really talking about it (that I've seen).

Thanks for sharing. I watched his Hirata Estate lore video and I like his theory about

How our current Sekiro is experiencing these events for the first time, so it's less of a memory and more that current Sekiro goes back in time. So Sekiro cannot remember these events as we play through them because he hadn't experienced them yet. However other characters, like the thief merchant remembers us being there.

I must say, I'm enjoying unraveling the mysteries of this game. There's a lot more to chew on than initially seems the case. Like I said, hope we get more DLC etc. - I just want more of this game!

I'm glad From tried something new with Sekiro and they nailed it. Feels like they can do no wrong at the moment.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried playing BB, and the Souls games after playing Sekiro?

What do you think?

I did a little of DS3 recently.

I didn't treat the prior games as similar to Sekiro so my opinion of BB and at least DS3 is still the same. I largely feel that despite some mechanic similarities they are very different games from sekiro. I also don't believe that one approach is better than the other. My preference for more Sekiro and BB is because I believe that notable improvements can still be made for ideas introduced in those games, instead of simple favorism when compared to souls. Also, I feel that DS3 has hit a pretty reasonable peak with what they attempted to do with the series, so I'm pretty content with how everything is as of DS3.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Curiously, one of the few exceptions is
Isshin Sword Saint, since in his second and third phase he holds the spear in his left hand, which means his thrust will come from his left. It's one of the easiest mikiris to land in the game, so it's no big deal.

Yeah true, but there's so much shit happening in that fight that I don't think I even bothered to Mikiri him. I just used the Umbrella strat from Sekiro Goru :p

This boss is meant to really teach you about and get you good at parrying. Up until now you've mostly parried one at a time and now you are going to be rapid parrying. L1........L1 is now often L1L1L1. Tap-tap-tap-taptap

Here is a good strategy:

Okay, first 2 phases is all about generating posture damage for a deathblow. You want to chip away at his health, but only to increase the rate of posture damage. You want to deflect most everything and really try to trigger 2 things. 1) His leaping sword attack, many dodge away from this and attack, but this is actually better for posture damage+health damage, so I recommend hanging in and parrying, in the first phase he always follows this with a thrust, so immediately Mikiri counter when the red kanji comes up followed by a strike. In 2nd phase its almost always a swipe so jump when you see the kanji symbol and bounce of his head for more posture and 2 strikes on the way down 2) His flurry of attacks which you rapid parry (taptaptaptap.....on L1), this builds up big time posture damage on him.

I recommend more just hitting him once to provoke his attacks in first 2 phases and then parrying for posture. You need to do some health damage to make his posture build faster, but really not more than a 1/3 or 1/2 of his health will do the trick. So get in hits when you can, but look for the 2 things I mentioned.

Third phase for me is more unpredictable. He's way more susceptible to damage from regular strike so stay on him and be aggressive (in fact stay on him in all phases). Try to make sure you get good enough in first 2 phases that you enter with a resurrection and decent health. He attacks right off which you can Mikiri or dodge and attack.....and repeats that attack when you heal, so you can use your healing to generate an attack/posture damage opportunity. Main thing is avoiding or countering the lightening......be ready to jump and spam R1 in the air that way you can either dodge it or counter it if you get hit.....but mainly keep attacking and try to get his posture up for the deathblow.

I think if you practice you'll end up really enjoying the parrying - its largely about defense in this fight. After a while you should be able to parry everything he throws at you in first 2 phases.....if you are blocking, you're doing it wrong. No shame in this taking several hours to get by, but extremely rewarding feeling when you do and you'll feel much better about your parrying skills and abilities moving forward.

Thank you very much for the advice.
Lots of info I noticed, but never actually put together in my head.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just started a NG+ and I'm flying through it.
I'm 90 minutes in and I've already beaten Geni boy. Twice.
Feels nice getting some revenge on the fucker that nearly made me quit the game for good 😈

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Not my experience
I guess if you beat Ghost Monk just by doing parrying you have a point at least on her first 2 phases. Ghost Monk only has 1 phase so many, like myself, probably just loaded up on sugars/confetti and firecrackers and demolished her - actually the easiest boss for me, perhaps even moreso that the folded screen monkeys considering that took much longer, although only 1 attempt. There really isn't a need there to learn the boss unless you just want to - I didn't use snap seeds but I overwhelmed her. So when I got to the True one now I'm dealing with 3 phases and learning to parry - and I just beat her last night - so I had no easy deathblow to start with because of the v1.03 update. She also has the shadow part of her second phase which is not in the Ghost battle, and she has a whole new 3rd phase with completely different attacks and attack patterns.

If anything, given that she comes right after a pretty hard boss where people got stuck and had to learn, it might be somewhat welcome to fight a boss with some familiarity, but I suspect a lot of players like myself played Ghost Monk with a completely different strategy.

Hearing you say this does make me glad I took the shortcut on the Ghost version and maybe it made the real one better for me.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you very much for the advice.
Lots of info I noticed, but never actually put together in my head.

Cool, don't get discouraged if it takes you a while (days even) or put pressure on yourself. I had anxiety about that fight too and he's a gateway boss - I've beaten I think like 6-7 bosses or so since, but so far that was my longest choke point and hardest boss on the pathway to the good ending(s), but also the part of the game that made me get better and learn the game mechanics the most.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Your strategy is sound, but firecrackers are absolutely the fastest way to eliminate the second one. Take a look at my run, in which the only damage I took was minor AOE.

Hey no fair you used confetti! lol

I enjoyed watching your run, and I will say it is way faster for dealing with the brown ape; my approach is longer but uses nothing but the umbrella. I can see where confetti and sugar is really helpful for the brown ape, but IMO totally unnecessary for the headless. So if I do it again I might do a hybrid of those approaches. I tend to only use confetti so far on Headless (not headless ape) and the Warrior; I've been conserving it, but I think the patch may make it easier to farm now, otherwise the umbrella makes dealing with Headless ape very low risk and no need to use 2/3 confetti on him.

The umbrella is the most efficient approach for dealing with his AOE terror attack.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Hey no fair you used confetti! lol

I enjoyed watching your run, and I will say it is way faster for dealing with the brown ape; my approach is longer but uses nothing but the umbrella. I can see where confetti and sugar is really helpful for the brown ape, but IMO totally unnecessary for the headless. So if I do it again I might do a hybrid of those approaches. I tend to only use confetti so far on Headless (not headless ape) and the Warrior; I've been conserving it, but I think the patch may make it easier to farm now.

Lol, the confetti was definitely not necessary but I figured screw it. Since I was never actually hit by either and used no gourds, I definitely had no pressing need to use it other than making my sword look cool.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this last boss. Another hour of fruitless attempts. He is slowly getting into my head. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I improve. I tend to make it to phase 3 more often. But in this phase there is almost no room for healing and his attacks are devastating.

On another note, I first played Sekiro with headphones today and wow, the sound design is really great. You hear so much more and with so much more pressure. Standard TV speakers don't come remotely close to the sound experience with head phones. Try it for your own sake. It is worth it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Everyone always misgenders Corrupted Monk lol
I can understand cause you can't see her face and her voice samples sound pretty gruff outside of her laugh but they tell you it's a woman right in the memory

Fuck this last boss. Another hour of fruitless attempts. He is slowly getting into my head. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I improve. I tend to make it to phase 3 more often. But in this phase there is almost no room for healing and his attacks are devastating.

On another note, I first played Sekiro with headphones today and wow, the sound design is really great. You hear so much more and with so much more pressure. Standard TV speakers don't come remotely close to the sound experience with head phones. Try it for your own sake. It is worth it.

To heal, you need to play it smart and run away. You're literally fighting in a field. There's a ton of space. Create space, get behind a rock and pop that gourd but keep your eyes on him

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I just fought
Genichiro at Ashina Castle
this is the closest From has come to matching the Epicness of Smough and Ornstein fight, not quite there yet, but really close.

Holy shit, that was awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone always misgenders Corrupted Monk lol
I can understand cause you can't see her face and her voice samples sound pretty gruff outside of her laugh but they tell you it's a woman right in the memory

To heal, you need to play it smart and run away. You're literally fighting in a field. There's a ton of space. Create space, get behind a rock and pop that gourd but keep your eyes on him

Thank you! I'm not trying to be a SJW (how is that even an insult?) but the Corrupted Monk is FEMALE.

Female character are already diminished in video games. Let's not add to that side of the equation.

Oct 25, 2017

Dodge the jumping slam attack and heal

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
tenor.gif

Still haven't beaten the game Lol. Im currently at
The Owl

Fun fight. This game is lovely been having a great time with it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Got a bunch of progress today. I think I'm either midgame or maybe past the halfway point? I feel like I'm starting to run out of places to explore, rather than opening up more than I can handle.

found and got to the end of Mibu Village. Creepy place. Reminds me a bit of Blighttown but less gross. Maybe I should go back and buy that terror gourd.

Beat O'Rin. Cool fight - her fighting style is beautiful and hard to fight at the same time. She got a lot of hits on me, and I would have died a lot more against her if I didn't have a bunch of gourds to work with now. On each retry, I kept wanting to tell the guy who was infatuated with her that his crush is an insane murder ghost, but I guess it worked out in the end.

Working on Corrupted Monk now, who looks like the first Souls-looking boss I've seen in this game.

Oh, and I got the Mortal Blade. That attack looks fucking cool, but I don't know of a good application for it yet.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just waiting to start the game for real (played for a little bit but I was finishing DMC5 and some other games). What's the consensus on patch 1.03? Harder? Easier? Should I play that version or keep it on 1.02?