• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to have you here, I always appreciate seeing game devs' thoughts on other games.

You should return Kuro's Charm whenever you get back to NG+. It makes the game harder, but you can get it back and return to default difficulty later if you want, but returning it just changes the NG+ experience in such a substantial way, it's in my opinion their best NG+ by far because of that, it's amazing how with the flip of a switch, suddenly the learning curve continues well into NG+, you keep improving instead of just overpowering foes.

Also a good excuse to try the japanese VO. :P

I'm deeply in love with this game, and it's funny because I'm just a very negative person, I guess, because I really wasn't feeling it that much at first, my initial impressions were "well, at least it's better than Dark Souls II, I guess", and now I'm even questioning if Bloodborne is still my favorite.

Bloodborne has Orphan, though...

Hmmm, we can fix that!

cF2Ksds.jpg
For my last playthrough for the final ending and 100%, I'm going to jump up to Demon Bell + No Kuro's Charm. Ready for this craziness.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
well, we're finally in hangouts y'all ;_;

Glad to have you here, I always appreciate seeing game devs' thoughts on other games.

You should return Kuro's Charm whenever you get back to NG+. It makes the game harder, but you can get it back and return to default difficulty later if you want, but returning it just changes the NG+ experience in such a substantial way, it's in my opinion their best NG+ by far because of that, it's amazing how with the flip of a switch, suddenly the learning curve continues well into NG+, you keep improving instead of just overpowering foes.

I'm deeply in love with this game, and it's funny because I'm just a very negative person, I guess, because I really wasn't feeling it that much at first, my initial impressions were "well, at least it's better than Dark Souls II, I guess", and now I'm even questioning if Bloodborne is still my favorite.

Hmmm, we can fix that!

cF2Ksds.jpg
this is badass

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I'll check out those places before I finish my run and start ng+.

Yeah, the Ashina outskirts one near the Ogre steps is where I'm currently grinding to get the skills trophy and the platinum (post Fountainhead). You grapple to the watchtower near the idol, drop down and backstab the guy in the tower, drop down and backstab the guy standing under the watchtower. Run through the gate and backstab the guy on the other side. Then two will be walking up the stairs, backstab the first, if the second one notices and turns to fight immediately demolish him with a double ichi.

You can stop the loop there and return to the idol - grapple above the gate and run jump off the top of the gate to bounce jump up to the idol - that's kind of a tricky idol location.

Alternatively you can continue by grappling at the top of the stairs to the corridor, run through on the left side and double ichi kill the red guy that will spot you when you exit the walkway, run and backstab the red hat straight ahead, turn right and backstab the gunner on the wall, drop down and backstab the gunner on the ground shooting at the bridge, run and backstab the red guys fighting the ashina soldiers on the bridge. Kill the ashina on the bridge if you want to. I should point out that with the longer route the miniboss drunkard that is with the Ministry will pursue you if you haven't beaten him. But I've never actually come close to being hit by him because you are running through and back so fast, so you really don't have to clear him unless maybe you want to.

Its a longer run back to the idol, but doing this longer loop maybe 4-5 times will get a skill point. I'm not sure which is more efficient.

I got the combat art that requires 9 skill points this morning doing this.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, you know the divine dragon is no pushover in NG+.......or I just suck. I kept getting hit in loops where he'd stun me and I couldn't get up to recover and he'd wipe me out.

He was so easy the first time through, I never even bothered to learn his patterns. I kept missing on the last lightening hit too which I think now I understand you have to wait until you see his face when it launches you up in the air. And if you miss that you have to handle his late stage flurry over and over again.

Made me appreciate the boss more.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Hmmm, we can fix that!

cF2Ksds.jpg

Haha, of course he can already be parried.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Alternatively you can continue by grappling at the top of the stairs to the corridor, run through on the left side and double ichi kill the red guy that will spot you when you exit the walkway, run and backstab the red hat straight ahead, turn right and backstab the gunner on the wall, drop down and backstab the gunner on the ground shooting at the bridge, run and backstab the red guys fighting the ashina soldiers on the bridge. Kill the ashina on the bridge if you want to.
This is exactly what I did, but I also grappled up to the tree branch and took out the two swords guy up there and then do a jump off the wall for a drop kill on the guy below near the headless note. The two swords guy is the only one in that whole run you have to engage in combat with, but even if you skip him it's worth getting the drop kill on the other one below because he gives a nice chunk of XP and doesn't add that much time to the total run loop.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I did, but I also grappled up to the tree branch and took out the two swords guy up there and then do a jump off the wall for a drop kill on the guy below near the headless note. The two swords guy is the only one in that whole run you have to engage in combat with, but even if you skip him it's worth getting the drop kill on the other one below because he gives a nice chunk of XP and doesn't add that much time to the total run loop.

Interesting, I think I forgot that there was somebody near the headless note. Is there a quick way to dispose of the guy with 2 swords. I've tried to figure a way to include him but he generally takes too long and is too strong to do rapidly.

Also, in that corridor, is there a way to open the door that is locked on the right. I've never figured out how to open it.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I think I forgot that there was somebody near the headless note. Is there a quick way to dispose of the guy with 2 swords. I've tried to figure a way to include him but he generally takes too long and is too strong to do rapidly.

Also, in that corridor, is there a way to open the door that is locked on the right. I've never figured out how to open it.
When you get to the Headless and see him down there, just go right and you'll get to a shortcut that opens that door.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
What I'd do is a running attack then a flame prosthetic into an attack to fire up the sword, then two or three more R1's until he deflects, then very often he will do the jumping attack which is always followed by a double slash - either the jump attack or one of the slashes when deflected will lead to a death blow after all that. If not I'd just clash it out until dead. Because he's not always 100% cooperative that's why I'd say leave him if he takes too much time to kill, he can't react quick enough to attack you if you just run up to where he is and bounce off the wall for a deathblow drop on the one below.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
I attempted Father Owl like 5 times last week and haven't had time to play since then, I tried him again yesterday and beat him on my 3rd attempt of the day. Really good fight, not that challenging once you get his patterns down. I had already beat the True Corrupted Munk, now I will make my way through the rest of Fountain Head. About how much do I have left and how to the upcoming boss fights compare to the previously completed ones?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I attempted Father Owl like 5 times last week and haven't had time to play since then, I tried him again yesterday and beat him on my 3rd attempt of the day. Really good fight, not that challenging once you get his patterns down. I had already beat the True Corrupted Munk, now I will make my way through the rest of Fountain Head. About how much do I have left and how to the upcoming boss fights compare to the previously completed ones?

Fountainhead is the last big new area. And it is big - lots to see and do there. Roughly you are 70-80% done. Are you saying that you've already done the secret boss at
Hirata?

After Foutainhead the bosses are pretty difficult, but one is optional - although I recommend it. The secret boss I mentioned above to is optional but also considered difficult and if you want to fight him you have to open up access before completing Fountainhead. Most consider the final boss the most difficult, but you should be capable if you've made it this far.

I'd say that the 2 optional bosses near the end and the final bosses, either with the Shura ending or the ending path you've taken are considered the most difficult. Although, relative to your skill as to when you play them, I felt Genichiro was my biggest choke point.

Groundking

Oct 31, 2017
I hate how inconsistent mikiri counter is for phases 2+3 for ISS, I'm doing a dash forwards as soon as I realise he's doing it (so I'm close enough to get a hit in once it's all done), release everything then try to counter, sometimes it works beautifully and no issue and other it gets me killed. Currently on NG+ and seriously contemplating just grinding the skill points and doing a new save for the other 2 endings and all bosses trophy.

Also I really dislike the end game (once you have both of the things Kuro wants) other than Fountainhead Palace which is amazing and the best area they've ever done. The boss could have been better though
if it had you having to do lightning reversal from his attacks instead of just jumping up onto the trees and doing it
I love the game up until the end game, but it really lets the game down and stops it from being DS, DkS and BB tier.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Mikiri Counter timing suffers from the same active window penalty as spamming the parry button. I swear that if I've been mashing parry to stop a flurry of attacks, it's harder to Mikiri Counter a followup thrust. The window to pull it off is noticeably smaller.

I got caught by this a lot at the first phase of the last boss. I'd spam parry, then press dash at the same early timing I usually do against the followup thrust, and then eat the thrust in the face because the Mikiri didn't go off.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Back to ISS on NG ++ after doing the Shura ending last playthrough. I've been testing some different methods for fun, as I want to record it getting some cool combos and skills going.

I swear, this is one of the best boss battles FromSoft has made. The difficulty ramps up each round until 3, with many of his attacks having large tells, but still being challenging and having a variety of options to handle it. Love this fight.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Not really feeling this one. I've put 21 hours into it so far, but everything is meh compared to Dark Souls 3.
Will likely finish the game, but eh, not going on my best games for this year.

Mar 22, 2019
Made it to the Shura ending in first play through (yes, did the save game thing to keep playing after that).
However why is it, after all the epic boss and mini-bosses, freaking destroying finally Genchiro, Lady Butterfly and taking down all the Headless I can find..
.Emma hands my ass to me every time and when I do manage to make it to Isshin cannot get past the first life.

I'm a diehard FROM fan, play every game and DS3/Bloodborne remain my two absolute favourite games ever...but Sekiro feels too much like a slog; its not that its "too hard" - just the rewards are lacking and i dunno, seems like the mechanics arent as fine-tuned as other games are.

I'll beat
Emma and Isshin
at some point i know; but right now i dont want to keep playing - booted up Detroit Become Human instead; Sekrio is rapidly losing its lustre for me :(

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
What's not workin for you?

Lack of weapon changes, armour changes, and while it is a completely different IP it still feels like a Dark Souls game in disguise.
English voice acting and story are terrible (not sure about the Japanese since I don't understand that). Can't really nail it down to one thing.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Lack of weapon changes, armour changes, and while it is a completely different IP it still feels like a Dark Souls game in disguise.
English voice acting and story are terrible (not sure about the Japanese since I don't understand that). Can't really nail it down to one thing.

I played in Japanese, but yeah, from what I've heard, the english VA.... well, bless its heart, lol
As far as the story... yeah, i don't think its great, even having finished it. Even tho they more cutscenes and more acting, From still insisted on that Dark Souls narrative tone and because of that, there's a just disconnect with, well, everything. Everyone is still just exposition dumps with almost no personality. Sekiro himself may as well be mute.
I don't think its entirely From's fault tho. Its pretty hard to convey an emotional, satisfying narrative journey when the gameplay becomes the absolute priority..... especially when your average player might be stuck at multiple points throughout the campaign and be getting zero narrative feedback. Even moreso if you tend to play sporadically, like myself.

Regarding gameplay, yeah, when the majority of your best way ahead is with just 2 or 3 core moves, you fucked up from design standpoint.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding gameplay, yeah, when the majority of your best way ahead is with just 2 or 3 core moves, you fucked up from design standpoint.
Having played the game up to NG ++, I'm going to have to disagree. The core game is based on parry and attack, it's true at the beginning and all the way to the end. But the game builds its design on making each encounter more unique than their previous games. Thus you must learn your method for each boss encounter. There are also a number of techniques that work for each boss, but many of them don't carry over. It's hard to see this on a single playthrough, but there is a lot of hidden variety in ways to tackle fights. For example, using the spear on Ape, using mist raven on human bosses, fireworks on animals, snap seed on Corrupted Monk, etc. You can sit there and parry and attack them, but those other options are just as viable. This is true even on the final boss. There are some skills and prosthetics that make tackling him much easier. But you can still take the parry/attack route and make it through.

The limitations in place to using skills that cost emblems are perhaps a bit too limiting, I will say, along with the cost of some skills being out of balance, but I will simply disagree if someone says that there aren't a variety of ways to kill each boss, and that if the parry/attack route is almost always the safest route, that it is bad design. It's simply not.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I played in Japanese, but yeah, from what I've heard, the english VA.... well, bless its heart, lol
As far as the story... yeah, i don't think its great, even having finished it. Even tho they more cutscenes and more acting, From still insisted on that Dark Souls narrative tone and because of that, there's a just disconnect with, well, everything. Everyone is still just exposition dumps with almost no personality. Sekiro himself may as well be mute.
I don't think its entirely From's fault tho. Its pretty hard to convey an emotional, satisfying narrative journey when the gameplay becomes the absolute priority..... especially when your average player might be stuck at multiple points throughout the campaign and be getting zero narrative feedback. Even moreso if you tend to play sporadically, like myself.

It's an okay game, but it feels like they just said, what if we took this very specific mechanic in Dark Souls and made a whole new IP about it.

Yes, I understand people worked hard and all of that, but it just... I dunno, I feel like it is missing things. Perhaps I am comparing it too much to the Dark Souls games, which I enjoyed a lot more.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Having played the game up to NG ++, I'm going to have to disagree. The core game is based on parry and attack, it's true at the beginning and all the way to the end. But the game builds its design on making each encounter more unique than their previous games. Thus you must learn your method for each boss encounter. There are also a number of techniques that work for each boss, but many of them don't carry over. It's hard to see this on a single playthrough, but there is a lot of hidden variety in ways to tackle fights. For example, using the spear on Ape, using mist raven on human bosses, fireworks on animals, snap seed on Corrupted Monk, etc. You can sit there and parry and attack them, but those other options are just as viable. This is true even on the final boss. There are some skills and prosthetics that make tackling him much easier. But you can still take the parry/attack route and make it through.

The limitations in place to using skills that cost emblems are perhaps a bit too limiting, I will say, along with the cost of some skills being out of balance, but I will simply disagree if someone says that there aren't a variety of ways to kill each boss, and that if the parry/attack route is almost always the safest route, that it is bad design. It's simply not.

I completely agree with you... but as you said, look at the investment you've made to discover this. On a first playthrough, Sekiro feels like it's actively trying to break your balls for not sticking to just sword/parry. Whether it's with the spirit emblem economy (which is, honestly, fucking bullshit) or the oppressive/over-aggressive nature of each fight (that's not a standard, jobber enemy) that punishes the player for trying to take a defensive stance to get some breathing room and, well, think.
When every boss/mini-boss can kill you in a average of 2 hits, that just fucks with your head. And as I said, even if you do get a chance to play with your prosthetics, like say w/ fire with the Red Eyes, the spirit economy undermines that as well.
I'm not shitting on the game as I think it really is a monumental achievement from a gameplay standpoint.... it's just far from perfect. Whether it's the camera lock breaking, insane tracking of some enemies attacks, said attacks that has so much shit going, it completely obstructs the screen, the fucking camera.... yeah, I love Sekiro but I also kinda fucking hate it. It's weird, lol

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with you... but as you said, look at the investment you've made to discover this. On a first playthrough, Sekiro feels like it's actively trying to break your balls for not sticking to just sword/parry. Whether it's with the spirit emblem economy (which is, honestly, fucking bullshit) or the oppressive/over-aggressive nature of each fight (that's not a standard, jobber enemy) that punishes the player for trying to take a defensive stance to get some breathing room and, well, think.
When every boss/mini-boss can kill you in a average of 2 hits, that just fucks with your head. And as I said, even if you do get a chance to play with your prosthetics, like say w/ fire with the Red Eyes, the spirit economy undermines that as well.
I'm not shitting on the game as I think it really is a monumental achievement from a gameplay standpoint.... it's just far from perfect. Whether it's the camera lock breaking, insane tracking of some enemies attacks, said attacks that has so much shit going, it completely obstructs the screen, the fucking camera.... yeah, I love Sekiro but I also kinda fucking hate it. It's weird, lol
Well, I just disagree with your feelings on it. There are some improvements that could be made, sure--but many of your complaints are the same with previous FromSoft games, such as the bad camera (it's actually improved in Sekiro--try playing Bloodborne and have your camera blocked by large enemies, corridor troubles, no transparency, etc.), enemies reading your inputs and punishing you for things that they "know" players will do, such as attacking when healing, roll catching, enemies purposely designed to not get backstabs, etc.

As for me, my play experience changes each time I have played the game. First play through was exhilarating, but more limited to learning the fundamentals, and it doesn't matter that I was being more cautious and sticking to attack/parry- the game is designed to be beaten this way. But there are a wealth of options that open up when you loosen up and start experimenting, which comes from successive playthroughs. In some ways it's great, because the game does have no build variety outside of using the tools given to you. But there are a surprising number of combinations that can be used there. And it is this design that is making my successive plays change and also be fun in different ways. In this way the core gameplay is pretty rewarding if you try to step outside the boundaries later.

But what can I say--just fundamentally disagree there. And the story is another topic entirely and requires much more discussion. It's probably my favorite story and lore in a FromSoft game, and it's the things I've learned over successive playthroughs that really sealed it for me. But I don't want to get into it now, to be honest. People just disagree on things, that's life.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Had two weeks holidays and came back today to beat the final boss on ng+ aka playthrough 2. Guy was really hard. Either I was lucky the first time or he really gave me bad move rng. I died in all phases due to all sorts of moves. I had him after an hour and a half. Now I go for the shura ending.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
I like Sekiro, especially the great endgame bosses, but I do think its hyperfocus on standing toe to toe with the enemy makes the combat feel pretty one-note after a while. I get that the idea was to disincentivize the poking and circle strafing that characterizes the Souls games, but they almost completely eliminated positional concerns to achieve that. The right answer is always to stand directly in front of the enemy and apply pressure.

And I think the loot table is pretty bad. Outside of the prosthetic tools which the game hands you basically immediately, the only exciting treasures are Gourd Seeds, Prayer Beads, and Memories, so there's little incentive not to skip through the levels once you know where those are. And because it doesn't matter what order you pick them up in, there's none of the cool routing concerns of other Souls games, where you would plan to tackle 4-1 first in Demon's Souls to get the magic falchion, or beat the Dancer early in DS3 to get access to the claws and greatlance. None of the loot encourages you to change up your playstyle, which makes the game feel stale by the late game and even more so on replays.

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
THANK FUCK!!! Finally beat the final boss
Isshin sword saint
seriously the hardest boss I've ever fought and wasted like 10-12 hrs just learning to fight him.... truly a GOAT game for me, taught me so much with patience and putting on pressure at the right times also first soulsborne game I've actually finished! Need a little break as it was a big mental toll beating the game, might pick up bloodborne again later just at the poison swamp and don't really wanna head back haha.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I like Sekiro, especially the great endgame bosses, but I do think its hyperfocus on standing toe to toe with the enemy makes the combat feel pretty one-note after a while. I get that the idea was to disincentivize the poking and circle strafing that characterizes the Souls games, but they almost completely eliminated positional concerns to achieve that. The right answer is always to stand directly in front of the enemy and apply pressure.
None of the loot encourages you to change up your playstyle, which makes the game feel stale by the late game and even more so on replays.
I have to disagree here with your points here as well. The combat only stays one-note if you keep playing the exact same way. As I mentioned above, there are a number of ways to fight that don't simply amount to "face directly and apply pressure." In fact I think this is an overly simplistic, dare I say shallow, understanding of the combat and what you can do with it.

The game doesn't have much loot, but the change ups in play amount to embracing the prosthetics and new skills you learn on successive playthroughs. But if you always tackle the game the same way, that's not really a good way to understanding the variety and depth available.

This isn't even getting into the fact that the movement system in Sekiro itself allows for a variety of different options that simply didn't exist with the way animations and speed worked in previous FromSoft games.

If you're not interested in learning the granular changes you can make in animation and skills in certain scenarios, that's understandable, as this type of play is not for everyone. But again, there's a lot of hidden depth to the system that most people aren't scratching, and requires the player to try and embrace different ways to play to experience it.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
THANK FUCK!!! Finally beat the final boss
Isshin sword saint
seriously the hardest boss I've ever fought and wasted like 10-12 hrs just learning to fight him.... truly a GOAT game for me, taught me so much with patience and putting on pressure at the right times also first soulsborne game I've actually finished! Need a little break as it was a big mental toll beating the game, might pick up bloodborne again later just at the poison swamp and don't really wanna head back haha.

Congrats man!
Yeah it took me 3 or 4 days to learn... well really just the last 2 phases.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my ISS final battle video uploaded. NG ++ with Demon Bell.

This time, I found him as hard as the first time. He's no joke. I decided to play around with a new skill that I didn't use much before, and it worked surprisingly well. There were some fun moments here. Hilariously, I kept screwing up lightning reversal by jumping a fraction of a second too soon. Still won though, and in pretty good time.

Such a challenging, cool battle.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I'm stuck at
Owl 1st encounter
at Ashina Castle.. Is there anything I can do to tie up loose ends or alternate routes to avoid the fight for now?

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
In fact I think this is an overly simplistic, dare I say shallow, understanding of the combat and what you can do with it.

This isn't even getting into the fact that the movement system in Sekiro itself allows for a variety of different options that simply didn't exist with the way animations and speed worked in previous FromSoft games.

It doesn't matter if my understanding of the combat is shallow, it's a failing of the game if I can breeze through its optional, extra-tough difficulty setting without having to learn anything new or explore its mechanics in greater depth. Outside of lock and key gimmicks (like apparitions, the bull, shield enemies, red eyes, etc.), standard attacks/deflects, Ichimonji, and the spear are consistently an efficient answer to everything the game throws at you. And since the economy for spirit emblems, skill points, and upgrade materials heavily promotes efficiency, there's poor incentive to try anything else besides variety for variety's sake.

Bosses like the Demon of Hatred that take advantage of Sekiro's bonkers fast movement speed are definitely cool, but barely any of them do, and in regular fights that extra movement speed just makes running past all the enemies even easier than it usually is in Souls games

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I got to the final boss, died a dozen times and finally just didnt care anymore and deleted the game. I dont know why i played this game for as long as i did. It just made me angry and annoyed.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Okay, I really wanted the Return ending but I think I've just screwed myself out of reaching it because I can't seem to progress any of the dialogue to do so.

Where I'm at:

- I'm currently at Fountainhead Palace and have just defeated Corrupted Monk. I have not yet faced Divine Dragon.
- Back at Ashina Castle when I defeated Owl, I did not eavesdrop on Emma and Isshin, nor did I eavesdrop on Kuro.
- I've progressed the story with the Divine Child as far as I could, having given Kuro the rice and the Divine Child the persimmon. I cannot request any more rice, but the kid doesn't move away to the Hall of Illusion. Instead
- Emma is currently in the same room with Kuro, and both are repeating the same lines of dialogue. Emma just says, "your brow is less furrowed than before", Kuro just says, "It appears the Interior Ministry's army is beginning to stir
- Isshin just says, "Don't forget, hesitate and you lose", and the Divine Child won't give any more bloody rice

No amount of resting or travelling between locations seems to help.

I don't have any extra saves and really don't want to start the game over again just to face the hidden boss fight or see the 'true' ending. This sucks.

Any advice?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if my understanding of the combat is shallow, it's a failing of the game if I can breeze through its optional, extra-tough difficulty setting without having to learn anything new or explore its mechanics in greater depth. Outside of lock and key gimmicks (like apparitions, the bull, shield enemies, red eyes, etc.), standard attacks/deflects, Ichimonji, and the spear are consistently an efficient answer to everything the game throws at you. And since the economy for spirit emblems, skill points, and upgrade materials heavily promotes efficiency, there's poor incentive to try anything else besides variety for variety's sake.
See this is a problem. You are arguing it's "variety for variety's sake" while in other Souls games (taking different paths, trying a different weapon, getting different armor) it all amounts to just doing things differently for the sake of it. It's the same with prosthetics and skills, just in a different way. The main thing here is if the combat is fun, and you enjoy it, you want to try different things. Fashion Souls adds nothing except the variance in style, but people enjoy it; getting new weapons just gives another way to press R1; using prosthetics gives people a chance to try different playstyles and animations. It doesn't matter that some equipment is less effective, because people like using it in those games. Why do people try different things when they can just dodge and r1 every boss?

There is some balancing that could be had to improve skill and prosthetic usage, but I think you need to understand that, just like fashion souls, or like trying different weapons or builds, Sekiro allows for stylish play by using different skills. Of course you can just parry and r1. But you may find that, "oh, here I can slip in one mind during his animation, hit him in the flurry, use firecracker, the do a jumping axe sweep for major posture damage," and the game opens up and allows for interesting combinations of attacks for stylish play beyond just standing and parry/r1. And if you experiment, you wills see that the system can handle doing a lot of things you couldn't do in previous games based on movement and animation.

But again, you have to want to branch out.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm stuck at
Owl 1st encounter
at Ashina Castle.. Is there anything I can do to tie up loose ends or alternate routes to avoid the fight for now?
You can go up to the boss of Mibu Village Corrupted Monk. I think if you've got to them and done all optional mini bosses you're as far as you can get without progressing past that boss.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
You can go up to the boss of Mibu Village Corrupted Monk. I think if you've got to them and done all optional mini bosses you're as far as you can get without progressing past that boss.

Huh, I thought the fight against
Owl didn't trigger until you got the Shelter Stone after killing the Corrupted Monk, (along with the Mortal Blade and the Lotus of the Palace)

I'm stuck at
Owl 1st encounter

I think the fight against Owl is one of the few moments in the game in which you're basically funneled and have no choice but to beat him (unless you haven't done Hirata or you want to go kill Headless / Shichimen).

Here are some tips:
Be agressive. Walk up to him and attack. He won't really do anything about that. Hit him until he deflects, then deflect his counter attacks. Then parry his jump kick as he jumps away.

If he uses his bomb to block your healing, that's an opportunity to hit him. If you do so, you'll be pushed forward as he reels back and you won't get hit by the bomb, scoring you vitality damage in the process. He'll almost always to the healing bomb after his dashing slash.

He'll telegraph two attacks with Shurikens. If he tosses one shuriken, he'll do a running slash, which can be deflected, or blocked.

If he throws two shurikens, he'll follow them up with a jumping overhead attack. This attack is easy to dodge and will give you a big window to hit him. Ichimonji is good to punish it. You can actually bait out this attack by staying outside the range of his dashing attacks and do this over and over. It's an easy, effective way of beating him, if tedious.

He'll sometimes do a longer combo that finishes with a shoulder charge and a sword swipe. This will be followed up by firecrackers. Dodge to his left (your right) for easy damage while he's recovering.

In his second phase, he'll use smoke bombs to break lock-on and try to get a way. As soon as he throws the bomb, run in the opposite direction and then run back. You'll catch him just as his in his recovery from his follow-up attack.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Huh, I thought the fight against
Owl didn't trigger until you got the Shelter Stone after killing the Corrupted Monk, (along with the Mortal Blade and the Lotus of the Palace)
Yeah, sorry I worded it in a way you could take that from what I said. What I meant is killing that boss is as far as you can get in the main quest until you are forced to continue the main story, either with Genichiro, or later Owl.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Figured out a bunch of new punishes on the final boss and finally managed to beat him on charmless without healing! What an excellent fight, up there with the FromSoft greats I'd say.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I really wanted the Return ending but I think I've just screwed myself out of reaching it because I can't seem to progress any of the dialogue to do so.

Where I'm at:

- I'm currently at Fountainhead Palace and have just defeated Corrupted Monk. I have not yet faced Divine Dragon.
- Back at Ashina Castle when I defeated Owl, I did not eavesdrop on Emma and Isshin, nor did I eavesdrop on Kuro.
- I've progressed the story with the Divine Child as far as I could, having given Kuro the rice and the Divine Child the persimmon. I cannot request any more rice, but the kid doesn't move away to the Hall of Illusion. Instead
- Emma is currently in the same room with Kuro, and both are repeating the same lines of dialogue. Emma just says, "your brow is less furrowed than before", Kuro just says, "It appears the Interior Ministry's army is beginning to stir
- Isshin just says, "Don't forget, hesitate and you lose", and the Divine Child won't give any more bloody rice

No amount of resting or travelling between locations seems to help.

I don't have any extra saves and really don't want to start the game over again just to face the hidden boss fight or see the 'true' ending. This sucks.

Any advice?

As soon as you dont defeat the
divine dragon
I remember you can still trigger both the "good" endings.
I think now you have to
eavesdrop Kuro, so that Emma goes upstair after rest, and then just follow a guide for the next passages.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
As soon as you dont defeat the
divine dragon
I remember you can still trigger both the "good" endings.
I think now you have to
eavesdrop Kuro, so that Emma goes upstair after rest, and then just follow a guide for the next passages.

Mate, you are an absolute legend. That worked, and I'm off to have my ass handed to me by Owl in Hirata. Also managed to progress the questline with the Divine Child.

Thank you!

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Now for something different: I know it won't happen, but I would love if From Software released a competitive mode for Sekiro in the DLC.

Lately I've been feeling that this system would work really well with competitive play (one on one duels, or perhaps some other variant) with a few tweaks. They would of course have to tweak the stats to be equal, give a specific number of emblems that can be used in fight, as well as items, and tweak the deathblow mechanic for this mode - they could probably give people two life bars, so you can effectively deathblow twice for the win (or modify it to a different number) and ensure that prosthetics are viable. I think this would be cool. The only issue is that everyone would look the same since there's no customization. This aspect really kills the possibility, but it would be fun to have it. I would like to see what combinations of prosthetics people use and how they do it in fights.