Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT2| Domo Arigato, Mr. ROBERTOOOOO!!!

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my FuturePress guide. It's made with great material; really impressed by the quality. I was hoping for more artwork in it, but in the end, it is still cool to have. It's kind of ironic because I've already almost 100%'d the game. But it's more just something I want to have because I like the game so much.

After having my fill with Sekiro I tried to play another game but it wasn't as satisfying as Sekiro. I tried assassin's Creed Odyssey. The world is great and all. I really like the writing of the characters and the story but the gameplay feels off. The combat doesn't feel as weighty as in Sekiro. I don't feel the tension in every fight. It seems I can't enjoy that game right now. Don't know what to do.
Quoting you since you were on the bottom of last page. You may want to try NiOh, since it has good combat. But yeah, in general, there won't be much that will be satisfying for a while after getting really deep into Sekiro's gameplay.

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to approach her on my NG +++ run. Looks like I'm in for a tough fight. Even the centipedes are tough with no charm. Took me like 3-4 tries to get it right, lol.
Yeah! The centipedes are a huge spike in difficulty, definitely. I thought they were kind of a joke on NG, just spammed L1 and won, but you need to actually learn the pattern when playing charmless. Your posture is gone in a second if you mash.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to miss the esoteric Ashina text after a certain point?

I don't think so but check a guide. You should get this very early in the game after talking to Tengu. Per Fextra its still available to find after you beat the last boss though (I guess maybe not if you do the Shura ending).

Do you mean the Mushin Text btw? This one is more missable because you only get it after getting a skill at the end of a skill tree and talking to Tengu and given how hard it is to get those skills you may not until late game. But its available later because I picked it up right before going to the final boss on my first playthrough. Not sure if it would have been available had I beaten the boss or if I'd had to go to NG+ to get it.

I would recommend making sure you have all of them before late game if you can though.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so but check a guide. You should get this very early in the game after talking to Tengu. Per Fextra its still available to find after you beat the last boss though (I guess maybe not if you do the Shura ending).

Do you mean the Mushin Text btw? This one is more missable because you only get it after getting a skill at the end of a skill tree and talking to Tengu and given how hard it is to get those skills you may not until late game. But its available later because I picked it up right before going to the final boss on my first playthrough. Not sure if it would have been available had I beaten the boss or if I'd had to go to NG+ to get it.

I would recommend making sure you have all of them before late game if you can though.
I’ve progressed far enough into the game so that it’s no longer possible to talk to Tengu. I’m guessing there’s no other way to get it?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I’ve progressed far enough into the game so that it’s no longer possible to talk to Tengu. I’m guessing there’s no other way to get it?

Not sure where you are at progress-wise, but if the option is available try going to the castle and talking to Isshin Ashina or Emma. Fextralife's wiki page may have more helpful details.

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody know if it's possible to access
Fountainhead Palace
while still being
loyal to your father?

Google indicates the answer is 'no,' but I'm hoping somebody has found a way.

It seems odd that choosing an ending completely cuts off an entire level, especially a level that features multiple bosses and carps. I'm hoping I've just missed something simple.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Fountainhead Palace
while still being
loyal to your father?

It seems odd that choosing an ending completely cuts off an entire level, especially a level that features multiple bosses and carps. I'm hoping I've just missed something simple.

Pretty sure the answer to that is a big NO unless there is some kinda glitch. If you have an online save just before that decision you can overwrite the save on system storage and redo. But there is always NG+ to go down a different path.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Fountainhead Palace
while still being
loyal to your father?

No deal. The Shura ending cuts that part out completely. It's the 'bad ending', so I guess it's a little of a 'punishment' for being the bad guy. The end boss is unique to that ending, so there is that.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, last boss bordered on extremely annoying but I beat it just before reaching that point.

Figuring out
the timing to the lightning reversal and just fucking going for it whenever I had the chance ended up being the key.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
He's optional! If you're having trouble the normal way and still wanna beat him, there are some cheese strats iirc. Should be easy to find online.
I think he's basically the only boss I haven't fought on my first run but I'll probably just start NG+ and catch him later. Beating the final boss was such an ordeal I really don't want to get into another big thing right now.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Came back to do wrap up stuff before starting NG+.

A certain boss fight in the depths that I missed turned out to be way easier than expected because Mortal Draw with enough attack upgrades is crazy strong.

A lot of shichimen guys that I originally skipped are way easier than I thought they'd be after a boatload of attack upgrades and Confetti. Go figure.

Started looking up Headless and finally killed my first one. I feel violated.

Now I'm doing carp stuff.
Can I feed the giant carp normal precious bait three times before I give it the truly precious bait? I'm 3 scales short on the second lapis lazuli and I want to get that.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can I feed the giant carp normal precious bait three times before I give it the truly precious bait? I'm 3 scales short on the second lapis lazuli and I want to get that.
2 precious bait is the max to get the lapis lazuli rewards - 4 in total, so you're good. Giving him any more just gets a tut-tut from the old guy.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I finally did it! Finished the (surprisingly) final fight and finished the game! I got the Immortal Severance ending which is okay I guess - I didn't ready any guides and only from time to time got in here to ask about some stuff when I was hitting a wall.

Is it possible for me to fight the DoH I saw in the achievements and mentioned in here without starting a new game+? And should I now find and finish the rest of the mid bosses? Or do I fight them in new game+ either way?

I was very surprised at then end - finished Ishin without any help by prosthetic, without dying and with half my Healing Guards. It was an uphill battle to get there though. Just learning his moves, countering and attacking. The tip I got in here with the Ichimonji Double when he does the cross sped things up though. I never really got the right timing to use my prosthetic or the mortal blade - normal attacks were just faster.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I finally did it! Finished the (surprisingly) final fight and finished the game! I got the Immortal Severance ending which is okay I guess - I didn't ready any guides and only from time to time got in here to ask about some stuff when I was hitting a wall.

Is it possible for me to fight the DoH I saw in the achievements and mentioned in here without starting a new game+? And should I now find and finish the rest of the mid bosses? Or do I fight them in new game+ either way?

I was very surprised at then end - finished Ishin without any help by prosthetic, without dying and with half my Healing Guards. It was an uphill battle to get there though. Just learning his moves, countering and attacking. The tip I got in here with the Ichimonji Double when he does the cross sped things up though. I never really got the right timing to use my prosthetic or the mortal blade - normal attacks were just faster.

Congrats! I believe that you can still fight DoH as far as I know before NG+. Not sure about mini-bosses, some may still be available and some may not. You will see them again in NG+ and I believe the ones you haven't beaten should still give you prayer beads (unless you are talking about headless and warriors - their loot is always different); repeating ones you've already beaten should just give you coin purses.

I pretty much beat everybody but the Shura bosses on my first run, so in NG+ I skipped several minibosses (I was anxious to get to the Shura ending and do stuff for platinum).....mainly just fought the ones I enjoyed or the ones that are required to move forward.

One note, if you are going for the platinum trophy and want to do it 2 runs, you'll need 10 lapis. You can get 6 in a single run. (1 from the warrior at Fountainhead, 2 for sale from either of the pot nobles, 1 is related to the Carp boss, and 2 from the DoH). I'd recommend getting all 6 before NG+ if platinum is what you are aiming for or obviously at least 4. I was happy I got all 6 first time through so I didn't have to worry about DoH on the replay, although I hear he's no too bad in NG+.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Congrats! I believe that you can still fight DoH as far as I know before NG+. Not sure about mini-bosses, some may still be available and some may not. You will see them again in NG+ and I believe the ones you haven't beaten should still give you prayer beads (unless you are talking about headless and warriors - their loot is always different); repeating ones you've already beaten should just give you coin purses.

I pretty much beat everybody but the Shura bosses on my first run, so in NG+ I skipped several minibosses (I was anxious to get to the Shura ending and do stuff for platinum).....mainly just fought the ones I enjoyed or the ones that are required to move forward.
Thanks - it felt a little bit anticlimactic in the end without much resolution, but since it's not the "true" ending that should be expected I guess.

Where should I look for DoH? I have no idea where to start. I still have Seven Lances 2 and the second round with the Ogre to figure out if they are still there, but I noticed that I got a bead in the box, so at least one boss isn't available anymore.

Are the headless worth it? Only ever did the Shaman in the depth and avoided the rest.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks - it felt a little bit anticlimactic in the end without much resolution, but since it's not the "true" ending that should be expected I guess.

Where should I look for DoH? I have no idea where to start. I still have Seven Lances 2 and the second round with the Ogre to figure out if they are still there, but I noticed that I got a bead in the box, so at least one boss isn't available anymore.

Are the headless worth it? Only ever did the Shaman in the depth and avoided the rest.

To find DoH
Go back to the castle and as you exit Kuro's room, talk to the Ashina guard that is dying at the bottom of the Ashina Castle steps. The pathway will be over the Ashina Castle rooftops and will involve a kite.

IIRC there is also a mini-boss at the castle in the hidden dojo down the steps from Isshin's room.

I believe the Headless at fountainhead guard a prayer bead, so you may want to do that. They also give other techniques. I don't recall them factoring into a trophy though. You want to do all of the Warriors though - there should be one where you may have fought the 2 apes who drops something necessary for a prosthetic and the 1 at fountainhead gives the lapis. They really arent't that hard with divine confetti and a red sugar.

Oct 25, 2017

Beat
The Owl in his second Hirata appearance
after probably four hours of trying, oh man, I almost cried laughing, the one time I finally beat him "I Believe I Can Fly" was playing and the absurdity of it all was just too much. Was eventually able to use zero heals on his first phase, and rocking him in the second.

Between this and RE2make, I've been feasting on great games this year.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
You can still get it. I never got mine from Tengu.

After you learn one of the Special Techniques at the end of a skill tree, you can talk to Isshin to get it later in the story. The wiki also says that Emma will give it to you under similar conditions (after learning a Special Technique, and after Tengu has disappeared).

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

After you learn one of the Special Techniques at the end of a skill tree, you can talk to Isshin to get it later in the story. The wiki also says that Emma will give it to you under similar conditions (after learning a Special Technique, and after Tengu has disappeared).

Yeah, I actually got the Mushin text from Emma after the Fountainhead boss and leveling up to get the Shadowrush technique. So it can be gotten still very late game.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

Beat
The Owl in his second Hirata appearance
after probably four hours of trying, oh man, I almost cried laughing, the one time I finally beat him "I Believe I Can Fly" was playing and the absurdity of it all was just too much. Was eventually able to use zero heals on his first phase, and rocking him in the second.

Between this and RE2make, I've been feasting on great games this year.
I'm still high from beating the same boss a few days ago. There's something so special about facing a boss like this, getting rocked over and over, and then when you finally figure him out, turning him into a chump. It also helps that this boss has the most generous mikiri counter windows in the game :P

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017

I was actually referring to the Ashina Arts text. Looks like that one is missable if you progress too far.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually referring to the Ashina Arts text. Looks like that one is missable if you progress too far.

According to Fextra's site it can be found at Isshin's tower after you defeat the final boss.

I hate to say it though, if you've missed this one it does make the game more challenging. The most useful combat art there is - ichimoji double - is on that skill tree, as are some pretty good latent posture skills.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still high from beating the same boss a few days ago. There's something so special about facing a boss like this, getting rocked over and over, and then when you finally figure him out, turning him into a chump. It also helps that this boss has the most generous mikiri counter windows in the game :P
The first two hours he was wrecking me, sometimes wouldn't even get past the first phase.

Then I figured out how to dodge those firecrackers and things improved dramatically hahaha

Oct 28, 2017
Getting my ass kicked by
Owl
and I think I might be done with this game. I’ve got through all the other boss fights so far because although I was dying alot I was still having fun. But with this guy it feels like my blocks/deflects just aren’t working and the fight ends up being more frustrating than fun.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
He has some really good openings for damage like the no-heal bomb, leap forward (especially this) and the combo that ends in 2 quick slashes. I found it a really fun (not saying easy), Soulsy fight in that his attacks are telegraphed well and consistent. Keep at it, there's some really good stuff to come after - the next area is one of their best visually. :)

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So i'm on the last boss of the game but still need to beat
Father Owl.

Is it possible to go beat the final boss then before starting a new game+ returning to Father Owl to finish him off?

Father Owl is giving me trouble so just want to finish the game and then return to him when i'm ready

Last edited by a moderator:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
So i'm on the last boss of the game but still need to beat Father Owl.

Is it possible to go beat the final boss then before starting a new game+ returning to Father Owl to finish him off?

Father Owl is giving me trouble so just want to finish the game and then return to him when i'm ready
Yeah, the game allows you to decide when to jump into NG+.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, but you do need an item from him for one of the endings.

But I would recommend persevering. A few of us in the thread were just stuck on the same boss. Once you figure out how to detect and then counter his shoulder-bash/firecracker combo, you will turn him into a chump.

Funyarinpa

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

corner him. if you manage to corner him his moveset becomes far more manageable

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Getting my ass kicked by
Owl
and I think I might be done with this game. I’ve got through all the other boss fights so far because although I was dying alot I was still having fun. But with this guy it feels like my blocks/deflects just aren’t working and the fight ends up being more frustrating than fun.

Don't have any super complicated strategy for him, other than just playing defensive and looking for 2 attack opportunities.

I stayed back and tried to bait his double shuriken throw and the leaping jump. This is where he is most vulnerable, and I actually used the combat art that you start with to punish it, because its fast and sometimes you can do it twice.

The other thing is his health bomb. I dodge and attacked it sometimes, but if I didn't feel comfortable I just dodged and got out of there - this was trickier for me because I didn't want to get hit with it. Perhaps I should have dodged twice around his back or to the other side so you can experiment with that. Others may be able to help here better than my video shows on how to punish that one.

Use your ressurections as well. He's only 2 phases so you should have a free death in each phase, although I would only use a ressurection the second time in phase 2 if you feel confident you have a good shot at beating him, so you don't have to wait for any to regenerate with additional attempts and can always have multiple. I experimented with firecrackers some but found it was risky with him so didn't use too much, but that is another thing to open attack windows.

Otherwise you just have to get used to blocking his attacks and waiting for when you can punish him. In the second phase I just ran away with the smoke bomb and circled trying to get the lock on back. My approach certainly is not the fastest, but perhaps the safest and not all that difficult to execute. You just need to get confident blocking his attacks and be patient for when he opens himself up.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes, but you do need an item from him for one of the endings.

But I would recommend persevering. A few of us in the thread were just stuck on the same boss. Once you figure out how to detect and then counter his shoulder-bash/firecracker combo, you will turn him into a chump.
Ah damn I'll stick with him then so I can get all the endings

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
To me this game feels like unofficial sequel to metal gear rising. The way it relates on parrying, the way you can abuse stealth sometimes, a ton of humanoid bosses.
After beating the game immediately started ng+, reached last boss. I just can't get enough. This world design, characters, combat, music.. so good.
Dropped Dark Souls back in 2012 cuz combat felt clunky to me. Now i'm eager to give him a second chance. Bloodborne then DS 3 is a way to go, right?

Funyarinpa

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
To me this game feels like unofficial sequel to metal gear rising. The way it relates on parrying, the way you can abuse stealth sometimes, a ton of humanoid bosses.
After beating the game immediately started ng+, reached last boss. I just can't get enough. This world design, characters, combat, music.. so good.
Dropped Dark Souls back in 2012 cuz combat felt clunky to me. Now i'm eager to give him a second chance. Bloodborne then DS 3 is a way to go, right?
DS1 is slow and cumbersome, somewhat deliberately. It's still that way. I'd recommend you to go BB -> DS3 for the simple reason that I personally vastly prefer BB :p (You'll also be able to see how the game design evolved though so it's cool)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne is different, but it rewards aggressive play and isn't clunky. Its a little more simplified in terms of combat and strategies more often carry over from boss to boss compared with Sekiro. Its more about dodging and attacking as opposed to the parry or attack paradigm. Bloodborne has a parry mechanism (the gun in your left hand) and shooting enemies at the right moment in the middle of their attack will stagger them and lead to visceral attack that deals massive damage, but its a high risk/high reward mechanism because if you miss the timing you'll get slammed (its a very satisfying counter though, like the Mikiri). Dodge and attack is the lower risk/reward and basic mechanic. Its more about timing and knowing when to attack.

BB has a high initial difficulty curve with a couple of bosses that are hard early on and gatekeepers kinda like Genichiro and Lady B. And you'll find regular enemies pretty tough early and you get creamed if you try to attack groups.

Anyway, highly recommended.

DitaParlo

Oct 27, 2017
owl father is impossible to me, I spend 3 hours last night and 2 hours today and nothing... So I watched some videos

he doesnt move like that, at ALL. Im ready to give up.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Spacing is often one of the keys to getting a boss to do what you want them to. If you want to take advange to punish certain moves being at a certain distance or doing a certain move (that the AI tries to punish) is the way to get them to do it reliably and repeatedly. I know it's difficult to do in the heat of the moment but if you don't control the fight, it controls you.

Is there anything specific you're having trouble with?

edit - that video is exactly this - controling the fight with spacing, but I will say it doesn't look like any of my fights either. He is repetitively using spacing to slowly grind down the fight. Clearly it's possible to beat him that way, but it doesn't look like much fun.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Don't have any super complicated strategy for him, other than just playing defensive and looking for 2 attack opportunities.

I stayed back and tried to bait his double shuriken throw and the leaping jump. This is where he is most vulnerable, and I actually used the combat art that you start with to punish it, because its fast and sometimes you can do it twice.

The other thing is his health bomb. I dodge and attacked it sometimes, but if I didn't feel comfortable I just dodged and got out of there - this was trickier for me because I didn't want to get hit with it. Perhaps I should have dodged twice around his back or to the other side so you can experiment with that. Others may be able to help here better than my video shows on how to punish that one.

Use your ressurections as well. He's only 2 phases so you should have a free death in each phase, although I would only use a ressurection the second time in phase 2 if you feel confident you have a good shot at beating him, so you don't have to wait for any to regenerate with additional attempts and can always have multiple. I experimented with firecrackers some but found it was risky with him so didn't use too much, but that is another thing to open attack windows.

Otherwise you just have to get used to blocking his attacks and waiting for when you can punish him. In the second phase I just ran away with the smoke bomb and circled trying to get the lock on back. My approach certainly is not the fastest, but perhaps the safest and not all that difficult to execute. You just need to get confident blocking his attacks and be patient for when he opens himself up.

Thanks for the advice. Ended up getting him on my next try ha. Got kinda lucky as he used his

Thanks for this. Ended up beating him on my first try after this haha. Think I got quite lucky as he was using the x2 shuriken > leaping attack more than usual. It just ended up being one of those mad attempts where everything clicks and you finish the battle with most of your healing items and you're not sure what just happened.

Spent about 2 hours fighting
the real corrupted monk
after that. After you figure out how to beat the second stage it's a really fun fight, even if I did keep on jumping into it's scream vomit. Already looking forward to playing this game again, every time I beat a boss I just want to fight it again.