Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT2| Domo Arigato, Mr. ROBERTOOOOO!!!

DitaParlo

Oct 27, 2017
Spacing is often one of the keys to getting a boss to do what you want them to. If you want to take advange to punish certain moves being at a certain distance or doing a certain move (that the AI tries to punish) is the way to get them to do it reliably and repeatedly. I know it's difficult to do in the heat of the moment but if you don't control the fight, it controls you.

Is there anything specific you're having trouble with?

edit - that video is exactly this - controling the fight with spacing, but I will say it doesn't look like any of my fights either. He is repetitively using spacing to slowly grind down the fight. Clearly it's possible to beat him that way, but it doesn't look like much fun.
beat him, thank god. I notice that he never fully breaks our posture, so just hold on until an opening.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Had to look up online how to beat the final boss then did it in a few tries. Kinda crazy how despite it being an action game so much is just down to tactics and knowledge and even a person like me with what I consider to be super panicky hands can complete such a "difficult" game once I know what I need to do. Was bashing my head up against a wall for hours and used up all of my ammo and was getting super frustrated - watched a guide and everything just started making sense.
36 hours according to Steam, got the Homecoming Ending but did everything for the other one as well.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
2 precious bait is the max to get the lapis lazuli rewards - 4 in total, so you're good. Giving him any more just gets a tut-tut from the old guy.
Thanks. I'll probably wrap that up soon and then after that, it's the much harder task of deciding what to spend those lapis lazuli on lol.

Man, I never even thought to use the raven prosthetic when outnumbered.

That looks glorious.

n.thou

Mar 22, 2019
I was going for the platinum and made it to the shura ending (yes, backed up save) - but for the life of me i cannot get the timings/beat emma consistently never mind isshin ashina.

Thinking i'll drop the platinum for the moment and just reload my cloud save to proceed with the game and come what may...possibly the first from game i dont platinum though...

DitaParlo

Oct 27, 2017
I was going for the platinum and made it to the shura ending (yes, backed up save) - but for the life of me i cannot get the timings/beat emma consistently never mind isshin ashina.

Thinking i'll drop the platinum for the moment and just reload my cloud save to proceed with the game and come what may...possibly the first from game i dont platinum though...
people says that is better to do the shura ending in the NG+

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the game yesterday! Save scummed the 3 endings that don't need a NG+.

Thoughts:

Hardest bosses -

Ashina Seven Spears (beginning - maybe I just wasn't good? I learned how to play the game by fighting this guy 100 times. Everything after that was cake)
Headless/Sichiman (anything with Frighen was the worst) Harder than most actual bosses
Genichiro 1
DoH

Way Easier than I thought it woudl be:
Lady Butterfly ( beat on first try - but it could be because I honed my skills on Genichiro 1)
Final Boss (except phase 2 - final phase was super easy.)
Owl 1

Started NG+

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

people says that is better to do the shura ending in the NG+
Even with save-scumming you have to go in to NG+ one way or another for the platinum because it wants you to have all the bosses (from both ending paths) on a single save file - and reloading your save deletes your progress. You also have to get to FHP in NG+ for the last Lapis Lazuli to upgrade all the prosthetic tools. Still I did find it made more sense to get the 3 other endings in NG because the only difference is what items you give to Kuro post-final boss. Then do Shura in NG+ and reload to get the last Lapis Lazuli (or vice versa).

I don't think you'd get enough LL if you did Shura in NG, then went for the other 3 in NG+ (again, this only applies when save scumming).

cLOUDo

Oct 28, 2017
Question about platinum

For the "beat all the bosses" trophy, do I need to kill genichiro at the start of the game?

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I gave in. Initially, I was done with Sekiro after 3 playthroughs. I showed the game to a friend yesterday and it got me back to finish my 4th and last playthrough for the platinum. Game is so good man. Even after almost 2 weeks break I could still beat the boss in boddhisattva valley.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finally defeated Father Owl after almost an hour.

Ended up using nothing but Mortal Draw so ran up to him soon as the fight started and Mortal Drawed his ass them i ran away. Soon as he would start running towards me I would just start doing another MD and he'd just run into it. I'd then run away, wait for him to start running to me and rinse and repeat.

I beat his first phase without getting hit once which was crazy but on the 2nd phase I took a thrashing for some reason and had no energy left when I finally landed the fatal blow.

So damn intense.

Off to bed and will do the last boss sometime this week.

Last edited:

n.thou

Mar 22, 2019
Even with save-scumming you have to go in to NG+ one way or another for the platinum because it wants you to have all the bosses (from both ending paths) on a single save file - and reloading your save deletes your progress. You also have to get to FHP in NG+ for the last Lapis Lazuli to upgrade all the prosthetic tools. Still I did find it made more sense to get the 3 other endings in NG because the only difference is what items you give to Kuro post-final boss. Then do Shura in NG+ and reload to get the last Lapis Lazuli (or vice versa).

I don't think you'd get enough LL if you did Shura in NG, then went for the other 3 in NG+ (again, this only applies when save scumming).
Thanks for that - loading my cloud save tonight and proceeding with the other option to fight owl father then!

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Joypad.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Lol.. I was tired of fighting the last boss.. so I joined a Sekiro community on my PS4. Asked if someone could shareplay him.. A nice Dutch kid said he could do it.

He took over, and proceeded to kick the boss' ass.. It was fucking great to see. He knew exactly what he was doing, and shareplay worked perfectly.
Then the boss is dead, he just needs ONE more deathstrike. And then the player goes offline.. lol.. I could not take back control fast enough to end the fight. So I died.. lol.. I thought this was really funny..

He messaged me an hour later and told me he was sorry, his mum had cut the internet because he was supposed to come and eat.. lol.. at the very last deathstrike.. lol..

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Lol.. I was tired of fighting the last boss.. so I joined a Sekiro community on my PS4. Asked if someone could shareplay him.. A nice Dutch kid said he could do it.

He took over, and proceeded to kick the boss' ass.. It was fucking great to see. He knew exactly what he was doing, and shareplay worked perfectly.
Then the boss is dead, he just needs ONE more deathstrike. And then the player goes offline.. lol.. I could not take back control fast enough to end the fight. So I died.. lol.. I thought this was really funny..

He messaged me an hour later and told me he was sorry, his mum had cut the internet because he was supposed to come and eat.. lol.. at the very last deathstrike.. lol..
So there IS co-op in this game! :p

Great story

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Joypad.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So there IS co-op in this game! :p

Great story
I live in Europe, and tried to shareplay with a guy from the US later that night, it was way to laggy..
but when you are in the same region it works like a charm.

I could probably beat the boss myself (I have beat every other boss in the game, and I actually beat him on another account), bit I simply don't have the nerve or the time right now.. so I am not ashamed to use a built in console feature to finish this game (again)..

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

I did it on NG+ and you'll have to go to at least Fountainhead in NG+ to get the platinum. Don't know if its easier or not to do it during first playthrough or in NG+. A lot of people complain about this boss in NG+ but that may just be because the rest of NG+ is so much easier, so it ups the difficultly quite a bit after you get used to sailing through.

Emma I think just requires some practice. You want to beat her using minimal healing, so for me that was the challenge. She really is a great fight and probably the best test of the thrust/swipe/grab game of rock/paper/scissors that the game throws at you. Really not overly difficult once you get the rhythym and timing down and she actually is good practice for Isshin as their timings feel similar. So the key is mastering beating her efficiently. Isshin first phase is not too bad, and his last phase is really intimidating. There are actually just a few simple tips though that make him not that bad. Let me know if you want to keep trying and I can give you some more detailed tips.

n.thou

Mar 22, 2019
I did it on NG+ and you'll have to go to at least Fountainhead in NG+ to get the platinum. Don't know if its easier or not to do it during first playthrough or in NG+. A lot of people complain about this boss in NG+ but that may just be because the rest of NG+ is so much easier, so it ups the difficultly quite a bit after you get used to sailing through.

Emma I think just requires some practice. You want to beat her using minimal healing, so for me that was the challenge. She really is a great fight and probably the best test of the thrust/swipe/grab game of rock/paper/scissors that the game throws at you. Really not overly difficult once you get the rhythym and timing down and she actually is good practice for Isshin as their timings feel similar. So the key is mastering beating her efficiently. Isshin first phase is not too bad, and his last phase is really intimidating. There are actually just a few simple tips though that make him not that bad. Let me know if you want to keep trying and I can give you some more detailed tips.
Cheers! I decided to go for Shura ending in NG+. Booted up my cloud save last night and...decimated Owl first try.

So weird how the muscle memory works.

Proceeding!

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Cheers! I decided to go for Shura ending in NG+. Booted up my cloud save last night and...decimated Owl first try.

So weird how the muscle memory works.

Proceeding!

You really couldn't go wrong either way. If you are going for platinum you're going to have to reach the point of the Shura ending and beyond anyway. I found them to be challenging in NG+, but nothing way out of whack. There are some that believe its the hardest boss battle. I personally don't think that, but again I think there are a couple of tips that make it go from daunting to very doable.

cLOUDo

Oct 28, 2017
Shura ending for ng+ is the best option
I started yesterday and the chained ogre beat my ass 3 times lol

I'm so bad with those kind of bosses
Lol

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
That final boss is too much for me. lol

You can do it. I will say that it feels impossible at first, but once you get a handle to hang with his second phase its only a matter of time and usually you'll get him pretty soon thereafter. I've posted strategies and video a few pages back if you get stuck and of course there are a crapload on youtube.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Shura ending for ng+ is the best option
I started yesterday and the chained ogre beat my ass 3 times lol

I'm so bad with those kind of bosses
Lol

There aren't really any other fights quite like that in the game (vitality boss with tracking grabs that devastate health) and in NG+ you are sailing through and that boss still requires patience. I think he got me once in NG+ too.

Eterno

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Sekiro has really spoiled me with it's incredible combat. I finished the game a couple weeks ago with all bosses of the Purification ending done and thought it'd be time to play something else from my backlog. Tried to continue a few games I had started but somehow couldn't stop thinking about Sekiro so started a NG+ aiming for the Shura ending. I finished that yesterday night and thought "alright this time let's wrap it up", but here I am, excited to go home to start a NG++.

It's funny because when the game came out and I started to play, I thought it was way too hard, not enjoyable and I'd never make it. I was all on board with "the game should have an easy mode" complaints and I've actually changed my mind entirely. Not that I'm against it being an option, but it's just that if the game had an easy mode, I would have chosen it, probably finished the game enjoying the world design and story, and never came back. I'm glad I had no option but to play the game this way and train myself against these boss fights and encounters, which allowed me to enjoy the depth of the combat system, learn it, and become addicted.

I guess the game really clicked when I defeated Genichiro. I felt so strong when on my NG+ I was able to beat him a the start of the game without even really trying. The Owl in Hirata Estate will stay my main roadblock though, I learned so much against him. Probably spent at least 6 hours training and it truly felt like an achievement when I finally stabbed him once and for all. I love how you can feel your own growth through the game once you down such bosses. The Shura bosses were once again a big challenge, the only one I had on NG+ really. But after a few more hours, learning the moves and how to counter, being able to pass the first two phases without damage after a couple hours of training is rewarding like no other games. I just love this game SO much. Probably need to play some RPG or something with a very different gameplay to get other it!

FaulPern

Dec 1, 2017
It's funny because when the game came out and I started to play, I thought it was way too hard, not enjoyable and I'd never make it. I was all on board with "the game should have an easy mode" complaints and I've actually changed my mind entirely. Not that I'm against it being an option, but it's just that if the game had an easy mode, I would have chosen it, probably finished the game enjoying the world design and story, and never came back. I'm glad I had no option but to play the game this way and train myself against these boss fights and encounters, which allowed me to enjoy the depth of the combat system, learn it, and become addicted.
Oh cool, I really liked DaS 1 and 2 but bounced off of DaS 3 and Bloodborne.

From the 4 hours with Sekiro I really like it, I just got past the snake. The spear guy with all of his buds in Hirata is really hard, how do I deal with multiple enemies?

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
When engaging multiple enemies, use your mobility to separate them and take advantage of the fact that when you perform a deathblow, you're invincible during it. If you have Breath of Life then it make things easier.

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
After 175 hours, finally got the platinum.

Kind of bummed about it, though, because I couldn't finish my challenge run for the final ending, gave up on the final boss and just got back Kuro's Charm and cancelled the Bell effects.

Now I need to stop myself from playing it for a while, I need to play other stuff. @[email protected]

Whens DLC.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool, I really liked DaS 1 and 2 but bounced off of DaS 3 and Bloodborne.

From the 4 hours with Sekiro I really like it, I just got past the snake. The spear guy with all of his buds in Hirata is really hard, how do I deal with multiple enemies?

That's a tough early encounter, but they actually give you some help there because you don't have all the techniques yet for dealing with crowds. The way I did it was sneak around the back through the left corridor, killing the people insides, and started taking out the grunts from behind and then I ran away and let them reset. If you don't get all the grunts in one shot you can keep doing this waiting for them to de-agro and repeat.

Then I let the drunkard reset and snuck back in and backstabbed him and then went and talked to the NPC standing next to the rock and then it was 2 on 1 for the final health phase.

This is slow, but the safest and surest way to take him out early on. Firecrackers are also helpful so make sure you have those.

Other times I tried this boss later on in NG+, etc. I would still take out the adds but pretty much engage him straight up as later you'll be more powerful and confident in your parrying and strategy.

The game does give you ceramic shards for breaking up enemy groups from the start as well, and later on you get some different combat techniques and a prosthetic even that helps with dealing with crowds. Running in killing a few and running away and letting them de-agro is always a possible strategy as well to thin groups. But the combat techniques I mentioned are really the best thing. I think the Ashina castle boss gives you the first one.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
You can do it. I will say that it feels impossible at first, but once you get a handle to hang with his second phase its only a matter of time and usually you'll get him pretty soon thereafter. I've posted strategies and video a few pages back if you get stuck and of course there are a crapload on youtube.
Aaaaand beaten!

Man, this was insane. After this boss, I feel like I'm ready for anything in life. I don't recall having this much difficulty even in Dark Souls. lol

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
After 175 hours, finally got the platinum.

Kind of bummed about it, though, because I couldn't finish my challenge run for the final ending, gave up on the final boss and just got back Kuro's Charm and cancelled the Bell effects.

Now I need to stop myself from playing it for a while, I need to play other stuff. @[email protected]

Whens DLC.
Congrats.

Was it you doing an attack power 1 run? If so, what was it like. Done base vit but attack power 1 seems like a totally different game.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Here are my personal boss rankings in terms of difficulty, may also do one for minibosses and a re-ranking by how good the boss was rather than just difficulty.

Hardest to Easiest

1) Isshin Sword Saint/Genichiro - 4 phases is intimidating and it takes a while just to routinely get to the 2nd ISS phase just to practice it
2) Demon of Hatred - Still don't feel like I've mastered him. I just try to out survive him.
3) Genichiro - Relative to when you play him in NG, its a steep learning curve. Maybe my biggest wall.
4) Isshin Ashina/Emma - Emma takes some time to master and Isshin's 3rd phase is arguably the most intimidating phase of any boss.
5) Father Owl (memory) - I actually had a run of steady progression until I knew his playbook like back of my hand.
6) Lady B - Again relative to when you play her - she was my second boss and that second phase was tough.
7) Owl Father (Ashina castle) - More of a long/slow battle for me, waiting and attacking the same move and surviving in the intermediate.
8) True Corrupted Monk - When I played him the first deathblow trick was patched out, and I didn't know about second - rest of you played easy Sekiro :-) .
9) Guardian Ape - I thought his first phase was over-rated in terms of difficulty, but struggled with his second phase until figuring out some trick.
10) Headless Ape - I hate 'adds' but her bark was worse than her bite, and beating headless phase again was cake.
11) Gyoubu Oniwa - I thought this was a cool boss - I struggled at first until I realized, yes you can parry him (lesson also had to be learned on the bulls).
12) Corrupted Monk - 1 phase and was the last of the 3 task areas for me so I just loaded up on sugar and confetti and firecrackers and it was easy.
13) Divine Dragon - He's actually not all that easy in NG+, but was cake in my first playthrough, cool concept though.
14 ) Folding Screen Monkeys - More of a chore than anything. Totally played this puzzle boss wrong and it didn't matter.

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats.

Was it you doing an attack power 1 run? If so, what was it like. Done base vit but attack power 1 seems like a totally different game.
It wasn't bad at all until I got to Corrupted Monk, that was ROUGH. Took me more than 10 hours, but Glock Saint just broke me. Had to get rid of the debuffs.

What really made me quit was that I didn't even get to the hard phase in the final boss fight, hahaha, so I couldn't even imagine what I still had ahead of me.

The moment I removed the debuffs, I got to that phase first try.

I don't personally recommend it, maybe without the modifiers it's more fun, but still, base vit is a lot more interesting as a glass canon route, debuffs or not.

But, that being said, I've never done too many challenge runs in Souls games, so I'm kind of new to this, if you're used to doing them, there's a good chance you'll find it way easier than I did. As I said, didn't even get to the hard part of the fight, so it's clearly more on me than the run itself.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
It wasn't bad at all until I got to Corrupted Monk, that was ROUGH. Took me more than 10 hours, but Glock Saint just broke me. Had to get rid of the debuffs.

What really made me quit was that I didn't even get to the hard phase in the final boss fight, hahaha, so I couldn't even imagine what I still had ahead of me.

The moment I removed the debuffs, I got to that phase first try.

I don't personally recommend it, maybe without the modifiers it's more fun, but still, base vit is a lot more interesting as a glass canon route, debuffs or not.

But, that being said, I've never done too many challenge runs in Souls games, so I'm kind of new to this, if you're used to doing them, there's a good chance you'll find it way easier than I did. As I said, didn't even get to the hard part of the fight, so it's clearly more on me than the run itself.
Honestly, completing an attack power 1 run even without the hard mode modifiers is a major accomplishment either way, so congrats.

Really looks like it forces you to fight the bosses differently either by first going after vit damage and then posture or just focusing on vitality full stop depending on the boss.

And yeah, I can imagine corrupted monk being particularly rough as her posture recovers too fast for AP 1.

And of course, the fights must’ve been quite long so more time to make mistakes, and what not, especially without kuro’s charm where one mistimed parry equals broken posture. Must’ve felt awesome at the end of some of those fights though.

Out of curiosity, roughly how long was the final fight for you? Was thinking about doing an AP 1 run, probably after dlc is released, but seeing people like lobos take upwards of 50 mins for glock saint put me off. Might’ve been more due to him taking no skills, which I’m not terribly interested in, mikiri is too core to the combat to play without it.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing my No Charm NG +++ run with the Lady Butterfly fight after messing around with the Code Vein demo. Took me a while to get back into the groove with Sekiro's tight animation timing.

Had fun sliding in some axe attacks and hitting her with her own Phantom Kunai. It works surprisingly well against her.

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, completing an attack power 1 run even without the hard mode modifiers is a major accomplishment either way, so congrats.

Really looks like it forces you to fight the bosses differently either by first going after vit damage and then posture or just focusing on vitality full stop depending on the boss.

And yeah, I can imagine corrupted monk being particularly rough as her posture recovers too fast for AP 1.

And of course, the fights must’ve been quite long so more time to make mistakes, and what not, especially without kuro’s charm where one mistimed parry equals broken posture. Must’ve felt awesome at the end of some of those fights though.

Out of curiosity, roughly how long was the final fight for you? Was thinking about doing an AP 1 run, probably after dlc is released, but seeing people like lobos take upwards of 50 mins for glock saint put me off. Might’ve been more due to him taking no skills, which I’m not terribly interested in, mikiri is too core to the combat to play without it.
No idea, but it wasn't anywhere near that long, it was fairly reasonable, but yeah, I was also upgrading skills. I feel like it depends on what you want in "Souls-equivalent terms". If what you want is to do a Soul Level 1 run, then you should probably just do base VIT and everything else is fair game. After all, we still upgrade our weapons, get flat damage modifiers and all of that for SL1, we're just extremely fragile. So in this case Attack Power and Skills are your methods to increase power without increasing defense, basically.

He gives you plenty of opportunities for Mikiri, too, so that's probably the biggest reason why it took him so long. I remember he basically just ran around all day while waiting for an opening, while with Mikiri his attacks are your openings.

And thank you! I don't think I'll ever try it again, though, hahaha.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Struggled for an hour against father owl in my 4th playthrough. It seems I haven't mastered the game yet. I often panic healed but I should have known better. Still an epic boss fight.

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty terrible at this game. I am stuck at two paths. One is guarded by some hyper ninja at hirana estate in the mountains and one path i reached some drunken boss samurai at the burning place. Not able to put a dent in them before I die. What should I do?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty terrible at this game. I am stuck at two paths. One is guarded by some hyper ninja at hirana estate in the mountains and one path i reached some drunken boss samurai at the burning place. Not able to put a dent in them before I die. What should I do?
You can leave this area entirely and go back to Ashina Outskirts to move the main story for a bit, because it is a little easier than this area (for now). Come back later once you've gotten Mikiri counter to beat the Shinobi Hunter (if that's who you mean is the "hyper ninja". If not, you'll have to describe it a little bit better).

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017
You can leave this area entirely and go back to Ashina Outskirts to move the main story for a bit, because it is a little easier than this area (for now). Come back later once you've gotten Mikiri counter to beat the Shinobi Hunter (if that's who you mean is the "hyper ninja". If not, you'll have to describe it a little bit better).
Huh is there is more in the outskirts? Didnt I reached the temple going that way?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Huh is there is more in the outskirts? Didnt I reached the temple going that way?
It's hard to understand your descriptions, but you can reach Senpou Temple that way, after the horserider boss and flaming bull battle. But you don't really need to tackle Senpou yet until after a major plot point in Ashina Castle (and I don't remember any "hyper ninjas" in Senpou either). What part of the main story have you reached?

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the hyper ninja is the ministry due at Hirata.

Did you get to the part with the huge snake yet?
Nope. I came from Ashina outskirts to the guy that saves you in the temple and that woman doctor. Then i prayed to the bell and went to hirana estate. I guess I missed a part in the outskirts?