Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT2| Domo Arigato, Mr. ROBERTOOOOO!!!

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I came from Ashina outskirts to the guy that saves you in the temple and that woman doctor. Then i prayed to the bell and went to hirana estate. I guess I missed a part in the outskirts?
Yeah, keep going in the Outskirts. The place where you got that bell (from the old lady npc) has a path that leads to a miniboss and the main path for the story.

You can return to Hirata later if necessary.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I came from Ashina outskirts to the guy that saves you in the temple and that woman doctor. Then i prayed to the bell and went to hirana estate. I guess I missed a part in the outskirts?
Yeah, the main path in the game continues through the outskirts.

As for the drunkard, here's a quick tip. Do not talk to friendly samurai at first. Instead, run in and try to kill all the normal enemies. If you just keep running around, you can do it without taking damage. Once they're dead, run over to the friendly samurai and then talk to him (quickly skip through his dialog). He will then distract the drunkard for you, making the fight much easier.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So thought I'd have an attempt at the last boss and talk about getting wrecked for almost an hour :-(

I can beat Genichiro and Isshin sword saints 1st phase without getting hit by using Mortal Draw and parry.

However, Isshins 2nd phase wrecks all 10 of my healing Gourds, pellets and even rice. I have never got to his final phase as of yet.

This fight is legit crazy

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the main path in the game continues through the outskirts.

As for the drunkard, here's a quick tip. Do not talk to friendly samurai at first. Instead, run in and try to kill all the normal enemies. If you just keep running around, you can do it without taking damage. Once they're dead, run over to the friendly samurai and then talk to him (quickly skip through his dialog). He will then distract the drunkard for you, making the fight much easier.
Also: there's almost always a way to get a stealth hit on every miniboss, making them significantly easier.

So thought I'd have an attempt at the last boss and talk about getting wrecked for almost an hour :-(

I can beat Genichiro and Isshin sword saints 1st phase without getting hit by using Mortal Draw and parry.

However, Isshins 2nd phase wrecks all 10 of my healing Gourds, pellets and even rice. I have never got to his final phase as of yet.

The loaded umbrella works pretty well for the 2nd phase of Isshin if you just keep creating enough distance, he''ll run at you and will pretty much only do two moves.where he fires multiple shots that you can block and return damage to him with the loaded umbrella.

There's other ways, but that worked for me. IMO in general you should try to fully master the Genichiro phase and his first phase without using resources so you can save all the healing/emblems for the harder phases.

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Also: there's almost always a way to get a stealth hit on every miniboss, making them significantly easier.

The loaded umbrella works pretty well for the 2nd phase of Isshin if you just keep creating enough distance, he''ll run at you and will pretty much only do two moves.where he fires multiple shots that you can block and return damage to him with the loaded umbrella.

There's other ways, but that worked for me. IMO in general you should try to fully master the Genichiro phase and his first phase without using resources so you can save all the healing/emblems for the harder phases.
Yeah, should have mentioned that as well. I was able to get one on Drunkard. I had to wait a long time for him to calm down after I killed his buddies. Then I stealthed him and ran over to the friendly samurai. Maximum cheese, baby!

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

An hour, lol. That's nothing.

Second phase work on parrying everything and looking for the mikiri counter with the red kanji as the lance comes swinging down over his head. To get additional damage in look for his overhead jumping lance attack and dodge out of it and get in 1 hit. For more detailed guide I posted a few pages back with a video.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, should have mentioned that as well. I was able to get one on Drunkard. I had to wait a long time for him to calm down after I killed his buddies. Then I stealthed him and ran over to the friendly samurai. Maximum cheese, baby!

That's the way I did it too. Unless you wait on Hirata for a while at that point you aren't very good. So I killed his buddies and ran away. Snuck back when he de-agros and backstabbed him, and then ran and talked to the NPC and it was 2 on 1.

There are more exciting ways, but that is the safest/surest way.

wandering

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Northwest
First time playing, just beat Genichiro, spending the last 30 seconds with literally a sliver of health, no gourd charges, and no resurrects left. Phew.

It was around my tenth time attempting him, and my second time getting to the third phase. I think I’m really starting to understand this game.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck DoH. The first boss in the game to make me say "fucking really?".

Just got the
flame umbrella
so it might go easier.

If you need help, check the threadmarks button at end of this thread. Someone posted a really helpful guide.

I used the umbrella more for his overhead jumping attack, waited and then did the counter. Some use it on his Phase 2 path of fire distance attack, but he has a really exaggerated motion leading up to that attack so I think jumping to the right and grappling is better. The main thing is just to try to avoid him getting any distance on you. When he jumps away, don't stop and regroup and heal, but run after him instantly and run under his fireball attacks. The time to heal is usually when you are right under him and you've got him stunned or he's paused after an attack.

I never mastered his 3rd phase, and really just tried to keep him close and it was a battle of attrition. Death by a thousand cuts.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
First time playing, just beat Genichiro, spending the last 30 seconds with literally a sliver of health, no gourd charges, and no resurrects left. Phew.

It was around my tenth time attempting him, and my second time getting to the third phase. I think I’m really starting to understand this game.

Ten tries is really not that bad at all for him (I know it took me more), and yes, more than any boss he teaches you the fundamentals of the game and you start to really understand how to play and the balance between parry and attack. I think over time you get better and better with you red kanji thrust/swipe/grab reads. Genichiro really teaches you parrying, so after that I think mastering the counters is more of a gradual thing (and will always be somewhat different for different enemies).

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, unless someone can give me some life changing advice on Juzou i quit

I’m just focusing on building up his posture to get finishing blows and have barely gotten him passed his first bar. Mobs keep fucking everything up or I miss time the deflect he eats a life.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017

I’m just focusing on building up his posture to get finishing blows and have barely gotten him passed his first bar. Mobs keep fucking everything up or I miss time the deflect he eats a life.
Try to separate the mobs or get Juzou far away from the mob, so you can focus on killing the mob one-by-one.

Or you could try running away to make everyone go back to their positions and try to stealth kill some mobs and keep repeating that until only Juzou is left. There are ways to get behind the mobs and land a stealth kill. Don't be afraid to run until you get an opportunity.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Try to separate the mobs or get Juzou far away from the mob, so you can focus on killing the mob one-by-one.

Or you could try running away to make everyone go back to their positions and try to stealth kill some mobs and keep repeating that until only Juzou is left. There are ways to get behind the mobs and land a stealth kill. Don't be afraid to run until you get an opportunity.
Yeah I really want to avoid cheesing, but I get all the mobs down minus the bullshit shield guys I have no idea how to beat.

If the AI guy didn’t immediately die I might have had a chance. The Ogre seems worse so I’ve been trying to beat Juzou first but I have died to him over fifty times at this point. It’s incredibly frustrating to conquer a game like Bloodborne or DS3 and immediately hit a brick wall in this. I want to like it, but I am having lots of trouble doing so.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really want to avoid cheesing, but I get all the mobs down minus the bullshit shield guys I have no idea how to beat.
If you stealth kill the shield guys then it shouldn't be an issue. If not, then do you have the Loaded Axe prosthetic? That's another way to get an edge over them. I also highly recommend keeping the AI guy away from those shield assholes. It's best not to have him join the battle until Juzou's the only one left.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
If you stealth kill the shield guys then it shouldn't be an issue. If not, then do you have the Loaded Axe prosthetic? That's another way to get an edge over them. I also highly recommend keeping the AI guy away from those shield assholes. It's best not to have him join the battle until Juzou's the only one left.
Only prosthetics I have are Loaded Shuriken and one from the cannon guy in Ashina.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Only prosthetics I have are Loaded Shuriken and one from the cannon guy in Ashina.
I see. Don't make the same mistake I made. There's the Loaded Axe somewhere before Juzou. It's quite a ways back and I remember some men guarding it. The hint is that you can eavesdrop on them and they will talk about the prosthetic. Once you have this, it will make short work of those shield guys and will save you quite a lot of frustration in the Juzou fight.

wandering

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Northwest

Since he’s so slow he gives you lots of opportunities to whittle down his health, which will make it easier to break his posture. Stick close to him and keep up the assault, only moving away when he goes for the grab. If you get rid of the mobs in the area first, Nogami Gensai’s help makes the fight trivial.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
That's a tough early encounter, but they actually give you some help there because you don't have all the techniques yet for dealing with crowds. The way I did it was sneak around the back through the left corridor, killing the people inside, and started taking out the grunts from behind Juzou and then I ran away and let them reset. If you don't get all the grunts in one shot you can keep doing this waiting for them to de-agro and repeat.

Then I let the drunkard reset and snuck back in and backstabbed him and then went and talked to the NPC standing next to the rock and then it was 2 on 1 for the final health phase.

This is slow, but the safest and surest way to take him out early on. Firecrackers are also helpful so make sure you have those.

Other times I tried this boss later on in NG+, etc. I would still take out the adds but pretty much engage him straight up as later you'll be more powerful and confident in your parrying and strategy.

The game does give you ceramic shards for breaking up enemy groups from the start as well, and later on you get some different combat techniques and a prosthetic even that helps with dealing with crowds. Running in killing a few and running away and letting them de-agro is always a possible strategy as well to thin groups. But the combat techniques I mentioned are really the best thing. I think the Ashina castle boss gives you the first one.

Reposting for Juzou. I'm not really sure its cheesing to take out the mob and then return for a deathblow to start. Alternatively you could go down the left corridor, kill everyone and then come out and backstab Juzou and then go talk to the NPC for help and while he's taking on Juzou try to take out the rest of the mob and then fight Juzou's second phase when you've cleared the mob - that certainly is not cheesing and its why they put the corridor there so you can get behind him and why they put the NPC there so you could get help in dealing with a crowd before the game gives you more combat techniques later to aide in dealing with crowds.

Also, yes you missed a key prosthetic that makes the shield enemies easy.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my 4th playthrough and the last boss fight was as thrilling as ever. Beat him after 6 or 7 tries. Such a good presentation of a final boss. There is only thing left to do now: I still need to farm for 11 skill points despite playing normally through most areas and killing most enemies in my playthroughs. Who thinks of a skill that requires 9 skill points? Wow

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree on the last boss. Its an epic confrontation that is just as thrilling on repeated playthroughs. (And 9 skill points is ridiculous, there is no natural scenario where you would acquire 9 on normal playthrough - maybe for people way better than me.)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
USA
What scares me more than anything is how bad I'm going to be at this game coming back to it in NG+3 playing the (I hope!) DLC later this year. LOL I might just start from scratch.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Since he’s so slow he gives you lots of opportunities to whittle down his health, which will make it easier to break his posture. Stick close to him and keep up the assault, only moving away when he goes for the grab. If you get rid of the mobs in the area first, Nogami Gensai’s help makes the fight trivial.
Actually think I got the Loaded Axe. But in regards to what you are saying, I do whatever I can to whittle away at his posture, it just doesn’t “feel right” to me that I am only able to finish him when he’s right around 25% health of that health bar. Feel like I should have cracked him way sooner.

I watched a guide video from Fextralife but the only thing I’m not doing that they did was talk to Nogami after the mob has been eliminated.

I’m about to play again shortly so hopefully I can beat him.

I would also like tips for Chained Ogre too, I feel like this fight is a tad easier for a me, I actually almost beat them the first time. I don’t know the best way to avoid its grabs, jumping backwards to the left or right mostly works but sometimes I get caught.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Actually think I got the Loaded Axe. But in regards to what you are saying, I do whatever I can to whittle away at his posture, it just doesn’t “feel right” to me that I am only able to finish him when he’s right around 25% health of that health bar. Feel like I should have cracked him way sooner.

I watched a guide video from Fextralife but the only thing I’m not doing that they did was talk to Nogami after the mob has been eliminated.

I would also like tips for Chained Ogre too, I feel like this fight is a tad easier for a me, I actually almost beat them the first time. I don’t know the best way to avoid its grabs, jumping backwards to the left or right mostly works but sometimes I get caught.
Generally speaking, if an enemy is on the bigger side, you need their health relatively low to start doing lasting posture damage. But sometimes that relative low is just “less than half” or so. It can make the start of fights feel very tough, but on the other hand... once you start doing well, it can feel like you’re gaining advantage in a very thrilling way. And then you just need to make sure you keep that momentum up into the next bar of health, and so on.

As far as the ogre, there should be something you can eavesdrop about right near the ogre that will help, if you can do what’s hinted. And also...

You can get a stealth blow if you escape from him and hide, and then sneak up on him (maybe using a stealth sugar). Do this immediately, before trying to fight, as it will wipe any damage you did beforehand.

wandering

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Northwest

A lot of bigger and slower guys really do require you to down that vitality bar considerably for you to have any meaningful sort of effect, since their attacks are so delayed that you can’t rely on building up their posture bar early on. It takes some patience, but you’ll get there. Later on you’ll find some bosses with swift combos that’ll allow you break their posture much faster.

For grabs you’ll really want to sprint away, instead of jumping. If you’re confident with your timing and positioning, you can dodge to the side and follow up with a counterattack, but I like to play it safe and sprint a ways away, then close the distance with a nightjar slash or loaded spear/shuriken then chasing slice.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Good work! I only went back to defeat Juzo much much later, so you should feel proud about that. Though I did appreciate the hour or so I spent just bashing against the enemies before him before I gave up and went back to the Ogre; that’s when how to fight properly actually clicked for me, as I’d been playing very defensively without properly committing to deflecting. That stretch of enemies is how I learned to be aggressive while not hesitating to deflect.

And yeah, dodging/sprinting is always good to keep in mind. I probably lean on it over jumping a little too often, admittedly, but in general you don’t always want to do a full jump when you can be more purposeful with your escape instead, as wandering described.

Whiskeyjack

Oct 27, 2017
The game is finally on sale. Did they ever improve the X1X version ? I got both 4k consoles, but none of them seemed to have good performance for the game at launch. Which one runs better now ?

MChapp1867

Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to grab this on sale. I’m slightly apprehensive about no summoning though. I’ve beaten both Dark Souls and Bloodborne recently but on both occasions I summed help for some boss fights.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
And got the platinum after over 80 hours of play. The last grind for the skill points wasn't as bad as I expected. Didn't even need an hour on ng4+ grinding ashina outskirts. Made +20k xp per run.
Now I will put the game to rest and hope for some dlc announcement at E3.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so stuck

The headless and shichien warrior are too tough for me

Fought Genichiro but couldnt make it past his later stage

I could explore the temple but feel I could do those ones I mentioned first.

Thought about trying to fight snake eyes and it didn't make sense to me either

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm so stuck

The headless and shichien warrior are too tough for me

Fought Genichiro but couldnt make it past his later stage

I could explore the temple but feel I could do those ones I mentioned first.

Thought about trying to fight snake eyes and it didn't make sense to me either
Headless and Shichen can be left until later. You must use Divine Confetti unless you want a really hard time - so it's worth waiting until you can buy it (late game) or at least farm it. It's also worth getting the Purple Gourd for the terror build-up, when you get to the place you can buy that, I'd say try again with the first Headless. If you have the anti-air deathblow skill it can really help with the Shichen warriors.

My strat for the Shichen is to go in with divine cofetti and just go ham until they teleport. Don't run straight to where they will be but stay mid-distance so that they use the beam, deflect that or use the purple umbrella, then run to them and mash R1 again until they teleport. Rinse and repeat. This way I never see the huge orbs they summon.

Snake Eyes I had trouble with initially but if you just stay on them and deflect their attacks - they can all be deflected even the gun shots and grab, but for simplicity I dodge the gun shots and grab and just deflect the attacks. They can both be made easier with a stealth deathblow, I would use a Gachin sugar if you're having trouble getting to them without them noticing - especially the swamp one. The other one I approach from behind (Gun Fort idol).

wandering

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Senpou Temple was surprisingly easy for me; probably the area where I had the least trouble so far. The Folding Screen Monkeys fight was kind of cool, but I wish there was more to it. Also, the Divine Child of Rejuvenation is absolutely adorable and I want to protect her and Kuro.

Sunken Valley gave me a little more trouble though, I hate guns, I hate the monkeys, and I hate those weird wall guys in the Serpent’s cave. Still gotta do the Guardian Ape but I’m putting it off because I’ve heard about how much of a pain it is. Also, hilarious to see the janky animations on that giant pack of monkeys

Oct 25, 2017
Headless and Shichen can be left until later. You must use Divine Confetti unless you want a really hard time - so it's worth waiting until you can buy it (late game) or at least farm it. It's also worth getting the Purple Gourd for the terror build-up, when you get to the place you can buy that, I'd say try again with the first Headless. If you have the anti-air deathblow skill it can really help with the Shichen warriors.

My strat for the Shichen is to go in with divine cofetti and just go ham until they teleport. Don't run straight to where they will be but stay mid-distance so that they use the beam, deflect that or use the purple umbrella, then run to them and mash R1 again until they teleport. Rinse and repeat. This way I never see the huge orbs they summon.

Snake Eyes I had trouble with initially but if you just stay on them and deflect their attacks - they can all be deflected even the gun shots and grab, but for simplicity I dodge the gun shots and grab and just deflect the attacks. They can both be made easier with a stealth deathblow, I would use a Gachin sugar if you're having trouble getting to them without them noticing - especially the swamp one. The other one I approach from behind (Gun Fort idol).
Thanks four your thoughts. I have most of the items you mentioned save purple gourd...God does this mean it's really just git gud at this point? I was getting frustrated at fighting headless because it's so item heavy with divine confetti and pacifying agent.

Always good to know there are other prosthetics to try too.

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017
Wow lady
butterfly
is such a BS fight. So i thought I finally beat her after like 20 tries and she has a second form.
'

I am also getting wrecked by the seven spears dude. He kills me in two hits and mikiri counter isnt possible on him.

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
Well, decided to do another run to finish in a day just for fun, and I managed. Purification ending, got to Lady Butterfly with 12 attack power, it was crazy, lmao.

wandering

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Thanks four your thoughts. I have most of the items you mentioned save purple gourd...God does this mean it's really just git gud at this point? I was getting frustrated at fighting headless because it's so item heavy with divine confetti and pacifying agent.

Always good to know there are other prosthetics to try too.
The Headless are more of an endgame stat check, from what I’ve heard, it’s fine to just skip it for now.

Wow lady
butterfly
is such a BS fight. So i thought I finally beat her after like 20 tries and she has a second form.
'

I am also getting wrecked by the seven spears dude. He kills me in two hits and mikiri counter isnt possible on him.
Seven Spears can definitely be Mikiri countered, just make sure you move the analog stick towards him as you press the button.