Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT2| Domo Arigato, Mr. ROBERTOOOOO!!!

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
New game? Two hits and her posture was probably broken lol 😂
Yeah, without any of the modifiers too, just wanted a chill playthrough.

Used Confetti and Yashariku too. Felt bad for her, hahaha.

I'm starting to actually think that the final boss is From's hardest boss yet, by the way, just because of how consistently difficult he is. On my first playthrough I thought that Friede for example was way harder, but after my first time fighting Friede she's kind of free, but Glock Saint still killed me twice in this run, even after fighting him I don't even remember how many times.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just spent a good about of time getting kicked to death by some purple asshole before realizing what thrust and sweep attacks are.

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017
I dont like how I feel so weak. Every boss i played can kill you in a swipe while I hardly do a dent on them when I hit.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I dont like how I feel so weak. Every boss i played can kill you in a swipe while I hardly do a dent on them when I hit.
Are you using the memories you get from defeating bosses? From the idol menu. It increases your attack power. Your HP and posture bar increase by killing mini-bosses and getting prayer beads.

The game is challenging no doubt, but it's not always about getting a bosses HP bar down - the posture bar is more important. Lowering a bosses health makes their posture bar regenerate slower. So getting some damage in, then concentrating on their posture bar is a good general strategy. It's not often you want to try to get a boss down to zero HP (you can, but it will take longer).

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017
Are you using the memories you get from defeating bosses? From the idol menu. It increases your attack power. Your HP and posture bar increase by killing mini-bosses and getting prayer beads.

The game is challenging no doubt, but it's not always about getting a bosses HP bar down - the posture bar is more important. Lowering a bosses health makes their posture bar regenerate slower. So getting some damage in, then concentrating on their posture bar is a good general strategy. It's not often you want to try to get a boss down to zero HP (you can, but it will take longer).
I only killed one mainboss. The horse one.

I am at the boss of ashina castle. How far am I into the game?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I only killed one mainboss. The horse one.

I am at the boss of ashina castle. How far am I into the game?
Not far at all. The horse boss is the first "boss" so you get a memory from him to up your attack power. Mini-bosses are the Ogre, the samurai guy early on, you get prayer beads from those. The boss of Ashina castle maybe you mean the bull or G enichiro? The former is a mini-boss, the latter a boss. This is where the game opens up though, after the bull there are a few ways to go from there.

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017
Not far at all. The horse boss is the first "boss" so you get a memory from him to up your attack power. Mini-bosses are the Ogre, the samurai guy early on, you get prayer beads from those. The boss of Ashina castle maybe you mean the bull or G enichiro? The former is a mini-boss, the latter a boss. This is where the game opens up though, after the bull there are a few ways to go from there.
bull was easy. I am at the G-man.

Oct 25, 2017
So this the magic of FROM games. Happened with Bloodborne as well.

Just two days ago I was seriously stuck with Genichiro, Headless, and Sunken Valley. Decided to focus on Genichiro. Finally got his first forms down, but just got wrecked at the end where his moves didn't make sense.

I persisted and when I didn't even expected it, BOOM, I defeated Genichiro. Holy fucking shit. Also with Snake eyes. God the rest of the game will be tough (especially with grinding for skills) but this game is too good.

I hope to beat headless soon. But in the meantime, damn good game.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
bull was easy. I am at the G-man.
G-Man is the first real skill test of the game, like Father G from Bloodborne, Blade Wolf from MGR, and so on. It's supposed to test you on how well you force the enemy to block and how well you parry their own attacks in return.

Don't watch your health damage on him. Watch your posture damage buildup on him, and fight in a way that lets you build posture damage into a deathblow.

man

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Alright, any tips for what I assume is the last boss?
Isshin, Sword Saint
This isn't even fun anymore.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, any tips for what I assume is the last boss?
Isshin, Sword Saint
This isn't even fun anymore.
Try to be consistent with your spacing and responses. His moveset changes depending on how you react to certain moves (such as how close you stand for certain windup animations), so making your own movements and spacing consistent makes his move set more consistent in turn. That narrows down the number of moves you need to react to, which makes him easier to practice.

Resist the urge to mash out of his combos if you get hit. The flight's second phase has a particular delayed 3-hit sword swing combo that seems timed to punish attempts at mashing out. If you see him start it, parry all the moves before attacking back.

Double Ichimonji is amazing in this fight. You can stuff the first move of the boss fight by jumping towards him, starting the ichimonji animation in midair, and landing with it. Makes that first move easy to deal with. You can also use it to punish the boss on recovery if you dodge some big moves.

Necron

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

Finally managed to get the platinum trophy as well. Made it to NG+3 and grinded for those last few skill points.

Looking forward to Elden Ring and still hope for a Sekiro story DLC similar to The Old Hunters for Bloodborne.

Oct 25, 2017
I am still early in the game (past Genichiro, completed Temple). Just by looking at guides online I am impressed at all of you that platinum the game. Never seen so many requirements for the endings...

At least with Bloodborne it was straightforward

wandering

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Northwest
You mean the Mibu Nobles with the flute?

Have they enfeebled you yet? Because once that happens you'll want kill them in sight, no regrets.
Actually it’s moreso the Okami warriors; they’re just playing around, dancing, and having a good time, and I burst in and stab em all to death. It’s such a beautiful locale too, so it makes it feel even more incongruous. Oh well.

Also, I just killed Father Owl, Jesus that took a bit.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
ISS first phase really, but I had a moment of clarity and started taking a bit of patience reading into his moves more and now I'm reliably getting to his second.

I put the game down for a week or so because of this fight and just got back into it.
I'm stuck on the second phase of ISS now, too. I'm trying the loaded umbrella/projected force technique, but I'm having trouble reading his attacks. It sucks that you have to go through so much just to practice the second phase.

man

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I'm stuck on the second phase of ISS now, too. I'm trying the loaded umbrella/projected force technique, but I'm having trouble reading his attacks. It sucks that you have to go through so much just to practice the second phase.
Still on his second phase too but I think I've made more progress in shorter time on this phase than his first. Yes he's faster and has wider attacks but it seems like the same approach of finding opportunities to attack and waiting/hoping for a mikiri counter opportunity. Only tool I use in this fight is firecrackers to interrupt his long wind-up attack.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Spear phase? You can bait his thrust if you stay just outside his reach (not far enough for him to start shooting at you). It's super easy to Mikiri and puts you in a good position to land a couple of hits in.

Also when he does his jumping overhead slam it's better to deflect it, as it deals some pretty good posture damage. He'll always jump back with a swipe of his spear if you stay close to him for too long, but you can easily deflect it or dash forward for more free damage.

If it's any consolation, the final phase is much easier.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Spear phase? You can bait his thrust if you stay just outside his reach (not far enough for him to start shooting at you). It's super easy to Mikiri and puts you in a good position to land a couple of hits in.

Also when he does his jumping overhead slam it's better to deflect it, as it deals some pretty good posture damage. He'll always jump back with a swipe of his spear if you stay close to him for too long, but you can easily deflect it or dash forward for more free damage.

If it's any consolation, the final phase is much easier.
The technique I'm trying has you bait him into his gun attacks, and then you use the loaded umbrella to absorb them and hit him with projected force. It works really well but I have to learn his moves better. I just having to spend 10 minutes on the first two phases every time to get to that point.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The technique I'm trying has you bait him into his gun attacks, and then you use the loaded umbrella to absorb them and hit him with projected force. It works really well but I have to learn his moves better. I just having to spend 10 minutes on the first two phases every time to get to that point.
I made an effort to be extra aggressive during the first phase to learn how to get through it faster. If I died, then restarting is easy. If I got through, then I get some practice passing that phase fast.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at presumably the last boss of the bad
ending on NG+ without the charm, and I'm having a rough as hell time lol.

I can double Ichimonji Emma to death relatively consistently, so she's not a problem, even if she's a lot more awkward than the standard final boss's first phase. Isshin on the other hand is an asshole, and I'm just getting bopped by him. It's mostly chip damage that is screwing me, and I need to figure out a safe time to heal.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Weird question: From Software announcing a new game and no DLC for Sekiro means I can finally buy Sekiro right? I waited before jumping into each Dark Souls game until all DLC was released. Which I was happy to do because it featured some of the best content for those games and I liked being able to jump right into it. And I really want to play Sekiro.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Weird question: From Software announcing a new game and no DLC for Sekiro means I can finally buy Sekiro right? I waited before jumping into each Dark Souls game until all DLC was released. Which I was happy to do because it featured some of the best content for those games and I liked being able to jump right into it. And I really want to play Sekiro.
If Sekiro is gonna have any DLC they'll announce it in August most likely.

It wouldn't be the first time they announce their new game before announcing DLC for their previous game (Dark Souls 3 was revealed many months before The Old Hunters for BB was announced).

man

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Was finally able to beat him myself. His second phase ended up being easier to learn than his first after I realized that he blocks far less and attacks through your own. Despite moving around a lot I took this phase a lot more conservatively, swiping a few times after his jump attacks and Mikiri'ing his thrust attacks.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm at presumably the last boss of the bad
ending on NG+ without the charm, and I'm having a rough as hell time lol.

I can double Ichimonji Emma to death relatively consistently, so she's not a problem, even if she's a lot more awkward than the standard final boss's first phase. Isshin on the other hand is an asshole, and I'm just getting bopped by him. It's mostly chip damage that is screwing me, and I need to figure out a safe time to heal.
That fight is no joke without a charm. It probably took me 60 tries on NG+3 Charmless.
For the first Isshin phase, walk up to him and attack. Most likely, he'll dodge, and counter attack. Deflect that attack and hit him again. He'll deflect this time and immediately do a two-hit combo (which will turn into a 3-hit if you don't deflect the first two hits) that is very fast, but easy to deflect. You can enter into a loop in which you attack him after deflecting both hits and he'll do it again. If you are using Sugar you'll be able to break his posture super fast. You shouldn't be getting chipped at all. If that's happening, your deflects are not that tight.

He'll also either push you away, sheathe his sword and do a perilous attack sweep (easy to punish); push you away and do a perilous attack thrust (easy to mikiri) or jump back and do Ashina Cross (can be dodged or deflected if you are feeling bold). He'll also randomly do Ichimonjis, which you can easily deflect and then punish for extra damage.

In the second phase, keep in mind that the Ichimonji will be replaced by the fire version, which cannot be deflected, but can easily be avoided. Just circle around him while he's charging it and hit him from behind.

If he stomps with his right foot, he'll do a fire slash. If he stomps with his left foot, he'll do a fire sweep. The rest of his moves remain the same. Firecrackers are useful to get extra damage in and to close the distance, which is good since a lot of his moves require you to be away from him.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
That fight is no joke without a charm. It probably took me 60 tries on NG+3 Charmless.
For the first Isshin phase, walk up to him and attack. Most likely, he'll dodge, and counter attack. Deflect that attack and hit him again. He'll deflect this time and immediately do a two-hit combo (which will turn into a 3-hit if you don't deflect the first two hits) that is very fast, but easy to deflect. You can enter into a loop in which you attack him after deflecting both hits and he'll do it again. If you are using Sugar you'll be able to break his posture super fast. You shouldn't be getting chipped at all. If that's happening, your deflects are not that tight.

He'll also either push you away, sheathe his sword and do a perilous attack sweep (easy to punish); push you away and do a perilous attack thrust (easy to mikiri) or jump back and do Ashina Cross (can be dodged or deflected if you are feeling bold). He'll also randomly do Ichimonjis, which you can easily deflect and then punish for extra damage.

In the second phase, keep in mind that the Ichimonji will be replaced by the fire version, which cannot be deflected, but can easily be avoided. Just circle around him while he's charging it and hit him from behind.

If he stomps with his right foot, he'll do a fire slash. If he stomps with his left foot, he'll do a fire sweep. The rest of his moves remain the same. Firecrackers are useful to get extra damage in and to close the distance, which is good since a lot of his moves require you to be away from him.
Thanks for that!
I think my problem is that it seems similar to
ISS first phase, before he gets the spear and becomes 100 times easier.
I just struggle so much to perfect deflect his attacks consistently, and it's specifically him who I have trouble with.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
His attacks are fast, but very predictable
. If he dodges, he'll always counter attack. If he blocks or deflects, he'll do the 3-hit combo. In fact both SSI and IA will the same 3-hit combo, though SSI will always do the 3 hits, whereas IA will only do two hits if you deflect properly. It's just practice. Once you learn how to deflect that properly there's really not much he can do to you. You want to get into a rythm that will fill up his posture super fast.

It should look like this:

Last edited:

wandering

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Northwest
This isn't really true, imo. DoH utilizes many of Sekiro's unique combat opportunities. you can parry many of his moves, grapple, use the fan, etc. It just "seems" like a Soulsborne boss because it's a big demon.
In my experience, most of his attacks did vitality damage even when deflected, so it became a game of running around his feet while whacking him a couple of times whenever there was an opening. He has three health bars and his posture can’t be broken, so it’s just an endurance test of dodging his attacks and whittling down his health.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, most of his attacks did vitality damage even when deflected, so it became a game of running around his feet while whacking him a couple of times whenever there was an opening. He has three health bars and his posture can’t be broken, so it’s just an endurance test of dodging his attacks and whittling down his health.
He does fire damage with his whip arm, but that was introduced with the bull already, another non-human boss. You can fix that with the gourd or items. Also, he gets stunned after a certain number of hits if your attack is damaging enough. He's definitely more of a vitality boss, yeah, but the game has already had a few of those. He also has wild movements and is large, but that type was introduced previously with the Guardian Ape.

He is an optional boss, so yeah, he's gonna be a bit hard, but he's built within the confines of Sekiro's systems and allows you to utilize a number of techniques to beat him.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I’m fighting Isshin Ashina on NG+ and he is kicking my ass. Anyway, what really annoys me is the boss run towards him. I’m tired of constantly having to go up the tower. My L2 finger is legit hurting lol. Is the Ashina Castle idol really the closest to this boss?