Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT2| Domo Arigato, Mr. ROBERTOOOOO!!!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I'm frustrated.

I dont think I understand this games combat system, cause I'm making no progress. I keep hitting walls at literally every mini boss. It doesnt help that every one of them is surrounded by half a dozen enemies that makes retrying things extremely tedious.

I was looking forward to this game, but honestly, I'm pretty close to quiting. It just hasn't clicked. =/

Anyone have tips for someone struggling?

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who has platinumed Every Souls game from Demon's Souls into Bloodborne, what the fuck am i doing wrong in this game, it feels like every area I'm extremely under leveled for the area I'm in. I'm in Ashina castle and have all 5 of the teleports unlocked and no matter which one i go to I get owned by the NORMAL enemies there...... whether its the damn grey ninja's on top of ashina roofs, to the blue samauri inside the castle, to the giant ass dude with clubs by the resevoir, and each of the mini bosses destroys me in like 2 hits

My vitality is 11, and Attack Power is 2, I'm getting one shotted by everything, and the blue samauri up in ashina's castle literally destroy me, i parry them and their posture never breaks, I don't even know how I made it this far.

wandering

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Northwest
He does fire damage with his whip arm, but that was introduced with the bull already, another non-human boss. You can fix that with the gourd or items. Also, he gets stunned after a certain number of hits if your attack is damaging enough. He's definitely more of a vitality boss, yeah, but the game has already had a few of those. He also has wild movements and is large, but that type was introduced previously with the Guardian Ape.

He is an optional boss, so yeah, he's gonna be a bit hard, but he's built within the confines of Sekiro's systems and allows you to utilize a number of techniques to beat him.
The bull is simply another example of a boss that’s out of place with Sekiro’s play style. The Guardian Ape is an entirely different fight that rewards you for being aggressive. The Demon of Hatred isn’t even that difficult, it’s just tedious.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Got to the last phase of the last boss twice last night but by the time i get to the last phase, his 3rd phase has taken almost all my health from me so i get wrecked.

:-(

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The bull is simply another example of a boss that’s out of place with Sekiro’s play style. The Guardian Ape is an entirely different fight that rewards you for being aggressive. The Demon of Hatred isn’t even that difficult, it’s just tedious.
I don't agree. If the bull was alone, it might be, but the fact that you have all of these non-human fights and how they introduce and evolve your playstyle against them is quite fitting for the game, imo. Moreso that DoH is an optional boss, it doesn't need to adhere as much to the core systems as, say Genichiro or Guardian Ape would. Sure, they could have made the fight shorter, but that's another debate entirely. You're saying it's "out of place" when it's not really, considering you can fight both the bulls and the guardian ape fights before this, and Demon of Hatred uses some of the same characteristics of those fights while building upon them in a unique way.

If there were no other non-human bosses in the game and DoH came out of the blue, I might see this point of view, but with the way the bosses are designed that I mentioned earlier, no, I simply don't agree.

Edit: This isn't even taking into consideration the lore and story connections the boss has. The game has been building up for the reveal of this boss since the beginning of the game, and has hinted and teased it throughout. It is a well thought-out addition to the game, and ties directly to the themes and story in Sekiro. It's probably not what you meant, but these comments make it seem like they just lifted a boss from Souls or Bloodborne and dropped it in. But it's simply not true; it's tuned to Sekiro's combat and mechanics, fits as an extension of other non-human fights in the game, and ties heavily with the story, lore, and themes of the game.

Last edited:

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is the Empowered Mortal Draw useful against the last boss at all?

I've got 4 skill points so might grind to hit 5 and get it to see if it helps at all against him

Last edited:

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
To get passed the snake

Run through the cave on the left and you'll see a lone monkey. Using the puppeteer Ninjitsu stealth kill and puppeteer him and he will distract the snake and you run straight into the building ahead

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
HOLY SHIT i finally beat the fucker

Did it on my first attempt with the Empowered Mortal Draw (EMD) Skill (which I just got). Completed phase 1 and 2 with no hits in phase 3 when ever he did his lunge jump then rush move i gave him a single EMD and just ran around him to get him to do it again then rinse and repeat.

I was a mess in phase 4 and used up everything i had and just got lucky.

What a damn battle i'm exhausted

Last edited:

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017
To get passed the snake

Run through the cave on the left and you'll see a lone monkey. Using the puppeteer Ninjitsu stealth kill and puppeteer him and he will distract the snake and you run straight into the building ahead
thanks. skills are insanely expensive now. like 8K each. How do I get more skill points easier?

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has platinumed Every Souls game from Demon's Souls into Bloodborne, what the fuck am i doing wrong in this game, it feels like every area I'm extremely under leveled for the area I'm in. I'm in Ashina castle and have all 5 of the teleports unlocked and no matter which one i go to I get owned by the NORMAL enemies there...... whether its the damn grey ninja's on top of ashina roofs, to the blue samauri inside the castle, to the giant ass dude with clubs by the resevoir, and each of the mini bosses destroys me in like 2 hits

My vitality is 11, and Attack Power is 2, I'm getting one shotted by everything, and the blue samauri up in ashina's castle literally destroy me, i parry them and their posture never breaks, I don't even know how I made it this far.
Yeah we're in the same position. Those blue fuckers in the castle are brutal.

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017

Blue robe enemy gets his posture breaken after two mikiri counters.

You cant play this as a soulsgame, your weapon attack is too weak for that. Here is a protip though. Invest in firecrackers, works on almost every boss and enemy.

You get 2-3 free hits for every firecracker thrown. (It is like a flashgrenade)

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
So I finally finished the game and got one of the endings:

I got the ending where Kuro dies and Sekiro lives.

This was a damn good game. It's not on the level of Bloodborne but it's still really good. It has its moments of bullshit tho.

I was so close to getting the true ending. Man, if only I hadn't beaten the Divine Dragon first... I had all the other requirements and I got up to the part where I got the Rice for Kuro. Ah well, I guess there's only so much someone can do without a guide on their first playthrough.

I feel like most of the game wasn't too hard once you got the hang of it. However, I spent like 2 hours on the final boss and I felt like I was the one being the bad player and not the boss being tough ? I have to say that his second phase was fucking bullshit IMO. Too many fakeouts and unnatural feints.

Overall, the game satisfied me and I'll give it another playthrough one of these days... time to move on to Ace Combat 7 and hop back on the Elden Ring hype train :D !

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
To get passed the snake

Or you can do what I did, which is waste an hour thinking I was just jumping wrong or missing a grapple point or should try to make the monkey make noises to attract attention or something, dying and racing through that area repeatedly. And then right when I was about to quit, I decided to try using mist raven to just teleport through it.

...it worked

(I’d done everything I could before the boss that unlocks that area, so I’d completely forgotten to go back to the area that gives you puppeteer, and the game weirdly does not make a point of telling you to go deal with that.)

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Or you can do what I did, which is waste an hour thinking I was just jumping wrong or missing a grapple point or should try to make the monkey make noises to attract attention or something, dying and racing through that area repeatedly. And then right when I was about to quit, I decided to try using mist raven to just teleport through it.

...it worked

(I’d done everything I could before the boss that unlocks that area, so I’d completely forgotten to go back to the area that gives you puppeteer, and the game weirdly does not make a point of telling you to go deal with that.)
I also used mist raven to teleport through it :D

MASTER MENACE

Oct 25, 2017
In A State Of Trance
I can't beat the first purple ninja in Hirata estae (interior ministry ninja?)...i've tried everything (mikiri counters, firecrackers...etc) and died like 50+ times...this is getting ridiculous..everything he does is friggen random and he can kill you so fast

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I can't beat the first purple ninja in Hirata estae (interior ministry ninja?)...i've tried everything (mikiri counters, firecrackers...etc) and died like 50+ times...this is getting ridiculous..everything he does is friggen random and he can kill you so fast
I ran around and eventually he lost track of me. I hid behind the pagoda and then stealth killed him, lol. Absolute cheese.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I just defeated Lady Butterfly (took me about 5 tries) and I'm wondering where I'm supposed to go now? I discovered pretty much of Mt. Kongo and other side locations. Do I go back to Ashina Castle because someone said he's still locked up there somewhere.

That miniboss at Ashina Reservoir is hard as shit too. Gonna try him next for the sixtieth time.

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017
I just defeated Lady Butterfly (took me about 5 tries) and I'm wondering where I'm supposed to go now? I discovered pretty much of Mt. Kongo and other side locations. Do I go back to Ashina Castle because someone said he's still locked up there somewhere.

That miniboss at Ashina Reservoir is hard as shit too. Gonna try him next for the sixtieth time.
yes ashina castle

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

The boss atop Ashina Castle pushes the main story forward yeah. The other paths (like Mt. Kongo) do continue but are blocked at a point until you go back and defeat that boss in the Castle.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Can you recommend a technique to beat lady butterfly? I’ve looked at the top YouTube videos but for some reason my boss doesn’t react that way (the close step dodge then hit doesn’t work because she block or runs and slices me).

FaulPern

Dec 1, 2017
Can you recommend a technique to beat lady butterfly? I’ve looked at the top YouTube videos but for some reason my boss doesn’t react that way (the close step dodge then hit doesn’t work because she block or runs and slices me).
If she isn't starting a sweep attack or in the air (which is when you throw a shuriken), you attack and attack her until she deflects you, which means she'll attack you, so you deflect. If she steps away, you chase her and dodge her shuriken/deflect them. From the air she can do a grab so you can dodge just as she lands.

If she's one shotting you or you feel like it takes forever to get a deathblow, maybe try upping your vitality or attack power (explore Ashina Outskirts).

SantaC

Oct 27, 2017
I am at last boss now. I have about 12 hours to beat it until bloodstained releases. Perfect timing.

Last boss i hard though.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't watch any videos prior to fighting her. I was pretty defensive throughout, usually hitting her once or twice when she missed one of her attacks. If she misses she's vulnerable so that's your chance to do some damage. When she's in her second phase and starts the illusions, I just ran around (not fighting her at all) until they went away. When they turn into butterflies I used the umbrella prosthetic to defend myself. After that, I did the same thing as in phase 1. Stayed defensive and only hit her when she missed an attack.

I did have like 7 Gourd Seeds at my disposal and had quite a bit of health because I explored a lot of side locations before fighting her.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
^Thanks Alpende hanmik FaulPern will try all of those! My vitality is still low, as I haven’t even beaten chained ogre yet, I was doing so well in ashina estate I kept moving forward until butterfly stopped me :(

Will try your advice, thanks all!

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
^Thanks Alpende hanmik FaulPern will try all of those! My vitality is still low, as I haven’t even beaten chained ogre yet, I was doing so well in ashina estate I kept moving forward until butterfly stopped me :(

Will try your advice, thanks all!
I don't know if anyone else covered this, but the shuriken prosthetic is the best for her! Hitting her while she flies around in the air does good damage and knocks her down, leaving her vulnerable for more hits.

I'd also recommend beating the Chained Ogre (easy if you stealth kill one of his pips then burn him with the flame vent prosthetic you should have found in Hirata Estate) then continue to beat the Ashina Outskirts main boss (Gyoubu) for his attack power bonus before taking Butterfly. I feel like she is a harder boss than Gyoubu. Hopefully by then you'll have more prayer beads for health and posture too!

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm frustrated.

I dont think I understand this games combat system, cause I'm making no progress. I keep hitting walls at literally every mini boss. It doesnt help that every one of them is surrounded by half a dozen enemies that makes retrying things extremely tedious.

I was looking forward to this game, but honestly, I'm pretty close to quiting. It just hasn't clicked. =/

Anyone have tips for someone struggling?

Where are you at? I think perhaps the biggest choke point early in the game for most players is when they reach - often concurrently - Ashina castle and the last part of Hirata estate. The Ashina Castle boss is the hardest early boss IMO and you might find yourself stuck on 3-4 minibosses in these locations: Drunkard, Seven Spears, that quick draw guy in the castle, and the first lone shadow, and also the Hirata boss.

That's my guess based on what you are describing. There are strategies for each of these minibosses and the hirata estate boss and ashina castle boss; and I do feel like the game opens up a bit after you get through this part. Some of these bosses are designed to really teach you how to play

Last edited:

wandering

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Phew, just beat ISS. I spent a good couple of hours throwing myself at him the first time, making slow but steady progress, then took a few days off to focus on other things, came back today and beat him after three tries. It was amazing how intuitive it felt this time around; the attacks that had terrorized me previously now seemed to be clearly readable. One of my favorite fights of all time.

Now on to get the rest of the endings!

And also grind out those last few skills...

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Damn this game is kicking my ass. As someone who went through all the Dark Souls games with a katana and played through Metal Gear Rising on hard I wasn't expecting to be stuck this early. I only barely got through that first red eyed ogre.

I'm currently stuck between 3 bosses: The dude on the horse shortly after the sequence with the snake, the big drunkard in the the past with the ally npc and the samurai general Tenzen right before the snake sequence. I've been focusing on the last one mainly but I just can't seem to do it. I'm assuming he drops a 4th prayer bead so I can upgrade my health which might help me deal with the other two. I just can't seem to parry/deflect consistently and there seems no way to practice it properly either. And he hits for like 50% in a single hit which just hurts, it's like you can't make a single mistake.

I think I exhausted all other directions so far as well. I found the bell past the headless dude, but I don't think I wanna ring that or deal with hem yet haha.

So anyone got any tips? Did I miss something important and how do I get better at deflecting? :p

edit: well I got him, on to the next

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Damn this game is kicking my ass. As someone who went through all the Dark Souls games with a katana and played through Metal Gear Rising on hard I wasn't expecting to be stuck this early. I only barely got through that first red eyed ogre.

I'm currently stuck between 3 bosses: The dude on the horse shortly after the sequence with the snake, the big drunkard in the the past with the ally npc and the samurai general Tenzen right before the snake sequence. I've been focusing on the last one mainly but I just can't seem to do it. I'm assuming he drops a 4th prayer bead so I can upgrade my health which might help me deal with the other two. I just can't seem to parry/deflect consistently and there seems no way to practice it properly either. And he hits for like 50% in a single hit which just hurts, it's like you can't make a single mistake.

I think I exhausted all other directions so far as well. I found the bell past the headless dude, but I don't think I wanna ring that or deal with hem yet haha.

So anyone got any tips? Did I miss something important and how do I get better at deflecting? :p

edit: well I got him, on to the next

The guy with the horse is the first true boss and really is not that bad. All his attacks can be parried and build posture damage on him. He is also open to damage from grappling, and susceptible to firecrackers. Invest in firecrackers if you have not already. Helpful for all the bosses you mentioned.

On the general, clear the area and then get an initial deathblow on him. Firecrackers are then useful. Do you have mikiri counter yet? IIRC he's about reading thrust versus swipe. Most enemies in the game if they charge to their right (your left), its a thrust, so mikiri counter and attack. If they charge to their left (your right) its a swipe, so jump bounce counter and attack. The mikiri is harder to master, but hit circle as they start their thrust, not with the red kanji. Firecrackers and sugars can also help if you aren't good enough yet to beat by parry/counter.

On the drunkard, take out all enemies and go down the left corridor. Kill the enemies inside and then when you come out start killing the grunts around the drunkard and avoid him. Try to get them all and then run and hide in the water and let him de-aggro. Sneak back and backstab him and then go talk to the NPC - then its two on 1 for last phase. Alternatively you could backstab the drunkard when you come through the corridor, then go talk to the NPC and work on the grunts while he is fighting the drunkard. Then hopefully you'll get it down to just you and him with 1 health bar. Firecrackers and sugar are helpful, otherwise parry and circle around his back for damage.

The game gives you techniques later on that are useful for dealing with crowds.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I would suggest taking on the horse boss first since he will drop a memory that ups your attack power, which will come in handy for the other bosses.

In general, concentrate on getting damagae in on bosses first before trying to fill their posture bar - the less HP they have the slower their posture bar will regenerate. If you try to fill up the posture bar when their HP is full it's much more difficult as it regens so quickly.

Lotus

Oct 25, 2017
I beat this yesterday. Was my first title from these developers, it was quite the experience, very challenging. Now to debate on whether or not I should give NG+ a try...

man

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Just started my first NG+ run, charmless (knowing now what that means) and boy is it easy to get cocky just after beating the main game and even easier to get quickly overwhelmed without trying to be the least bit stealthy.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the tips guys.
What helped me a lot was understanding the parry mechanics a little better. For example I can dodge right out of any attack/block but I can't block while I'm dodging or using block to cancel the dodge. Realizing that made me stop trying to dodge first and then try to block if I couldn't dodge far enough. That apparently doesn't work in this game. It seems I sort of have to decide right away to either dodge or to block/deflect.
What also helped was to hold the block button for a slight moment rather than spamming it. This way I'm at least blocking even if my attempt to deflect was off.
Now I wouldn't be surprised at all if the above isn't completely accurate, if that's the case hopefully someone will correct me. :p
Anyway, I got the horse boss down too now. And of course right around the corner is the next one already, the flaming bull. He seems a little easier though.