Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT2| Domo Arigato, Mr. ROBERTOOOOO!!!

n.thou

Mar 22, 2019
Great stuff, well done n.thou :)

You do need to go in to NG+ for the LL. The way I did it was to save at the Owl choice in NG+ - at that point you can do the Shura Ending, reload and then carry on with the other choice and get the LL (or vice versa).
Yeah figured. Onwards!

Game has become my favourite next to Bloodborne....and fully ruined any other game for me.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Happy for you n thou.

You'll find that you will sail through NG+ for the most part, with your next big challenge the Shura ending. Personally I didn't find it quite as difficult as ISS or even DoH, but some players have said it was their toughest boss. As RL said, you'll need to go to Fountainhead for the LL to get the platinum and I went even beyond that for the best place to farm skill points (which is a big burden - least favorite part of the game). I got my platinum after hours and hours of grinding the same place, and rather than have my experience end on that I went and fought ISS again - which was perhaps even more fun than the first time.

I actually was a FromSoft virgin until earlier this year when I platinumed Bloodborne. That became my GOAT and Sekiro probably moved into my Top 10-15 all time. Taking a break from these type games for a while, but I will probably start working my way through Dark Souls and maybe Nioh eventually.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
I got Owl down. Took a break from the game for a few days and somehow beat him on my first try today. Yay! And a new area opened up! Awesome!

...and another Corrupted Monk? Are you fucking kidding me? And I have to kill him three times? Boo!

edit: Oh I actually got it down already, didn't expect that haha.

Last edited:

weebro

Nov 7, 2018
I still remember not being super impressed with the setting at first but the moment you wander into the abandoned dungeon and see the Schichimen Warrior in the middle of the cave with the souls floating around him is when shit got real and the supernatural horror started to seep in, not to mention the screams those flying souls make.

On that note, jumping through that hole was super disappointing as it just landed into this game's version of Blighttown, rather than some big story twist or reality/dimension shifting shenanigans like the leap in Bloodborne was.

Oct 25, 2017
Been messing with NG+. For me this game has way less replay value for me than bloodborne. Thought I would be motivated to get different endings.

Broken Locks

Dec 10, 2018
So I finally came back to this after playing at launch and got up to Owl, tried him a few times, didn't have the patience at the time, and then got distracted by other things. Not wanting to resume there, I started a fresh save and within 2 days I was back to where it had previously taken me a week and a half. The previous experience served really well, and there were times when I thought I might have actually gutten gud, tearing through most tough encounters, often 1st time and no more then 4-5 for most (except Lady B. Prob 10 or so. I thought I 'd kick her ass, but she had another thing coming). Even corrupted monk, who took up a day or so of my life repeatedly trying first time through, went down 3rd try.

Then I remembered why I cbf with Owl 1st time. But I was more determined this time, and after an hour or two of trying and gradually learning I finally got it. The worst part of that fight is the button pressing sequence to skip all the dialogue and cutscenes. Woops, you jumped the gun and pressed start while he was talking , not x. Now restart the conversation, make sure you press the right button to skip the dialogue, and THEN you can press start to skip the cutscene. Ughh. Still, great fight once you start to figure it out

So I made my way through the last area, which is pretty great and (with the help of a wiki) mopped up a bunch of side stuff. And then I ran into
Owl round 2 and Demon of Hatred

They took me back to the banging my head against a wall feeling that you often get, repeatedly trying bosses for hours on end, thinking your getting somewhere but not really, that these game often get out of me (Hi Dancer!). DoH especially took a lot of trial and error. Despite countless attempts though, I felt like i was making steady progress. There was just 1 or 2 moves he would use, that took me way too long learning how to deal with properly. He d.e.d now though.

And now, all thats left is the final boss. I tried him a handful of times. Phase 1's easy enough even though I died a couple of times, but that was me being too lazy and/or overly aggressive after hours on DoH. Didn't even get through phase 2 yet but I can tell this one's prob gunna take a while. DoH used up all my energy for 1 day of Sekiro'ing, so I'll attempt to properly learn him tomorrow. I did watch 1 or two cheesey ways to beat him on the You tube, but I do sorta wanna man fight him properly, so...

Anyway that was longer then planned, but just wanted to bang out some thoughts after the last few days embroiled in this ripper of a game. I'll need to give it a bit of time (as well as actually beat it) but right now I'm thinking it's right there with Bloodborne as Froms best work. Even thinking about going for the plat which is something I rarely do.

Jotakori

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I've made it all the way to
Father Owl, and just fuck me. Shinobi Owl was hard, but I could tell right away there was a pattern I'd be able to get eventually, and I did! Father Owl tho........ ahahahaha ಥ‿ಥ (just kill me now)
I feel like I'm just continuously bashing myself against a brick wall here. His patterns are harder for me to get down than even Genichiro's, and I've already given in and watched a few guide videos for it. Yet I can't even manage to get him to half health on even his first bar lololol. This dude is just wrecking me. I can already tell this fight is gonna take me days to get through, ugh. orz
Funny thing is I don't even plan to go for this ending, I'm just a stubborn ass who wants to beat him for completionist's sake and to say I could.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Father Owl, and just fuck me. Shinobi Owl was hard, but I could tell right away there was a pattern I'd be able to get eventually, and I did! Father Owl tho........ ahahahaha ಥ‿ಥ (just kill me now)
I feel like I'm just continuously bashing myself against a brick wall here. His patterns are harder for me to get down than even Genichiro's, and I've already given in and watched a few guide videos for it. Yet I can't even manage to get him to half health on even his first bar lololol. This dude is just wrecking me. I can already tell this fight is gonna take me days to get through, ugh. orz
Funny thing is I don't even plan to go for this ending, I'm just a stubborn ass who wants to beat him for completionist's sake and to say I could.
Maybe not the most helpful advice, but...
Do you plan to do everything else in the game too? If so, have you done most of it yet?

I had a lot of trouble, spending a few hours and only ever getting him somewhat into the second bar a few times. But then I left him for second to last, right before the last boss, which meant gaining I think +2 attack and the remaining one or two prayer necklaces before I came back. That helped a ton, cause I could actually do decent amounts of posture damage and get a blow that way rather than depending purely on draining health.

So I’m someone who tends to just bash up against bosses too, but in this case if you’ve still got other bosses available, it may be best to go kill some of them before returning.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Ah, one of my favorite fights in the game. It's not so bad once you learn it.

It clicked for me when I stopped being afraid and I just walked towards him, took a couple of swings until he deflected, deflected his counter and then waited to see what he would do next. If he throws the Firecrackers (he'll always follow up his combo with the shoulder charge with Firecrackers), dodge forward to your right and you'll end up behind him, and he'll be open for an Ichiminji or whatever you want to do. Works 100% of the time.

If he jumps away and throws firecrackers at mid-distance he'll almost always do a thrust, or (more rarely) a running sweep. Tapping dodge will always be the right answer because if he thrusts, you mikiri; if he sweeps, you'll dodge and end up behind him.

For the second phase, if he does the Owl teleportation, just run away to the opposite end of the arena. You'll have a few seconds to catch him on his recovery once he reappears. If he does the flame+perilous attack, jump in place over the flame and then time (don't mash) your mikiri counter.

Again, be aggressive. Take the fight to him. Walk up to him and hit him until he deflects.

It's very important to deal vitality damage to him as well, since he has the second hight posture recovery rate, only behind the Ghost Corrupted Monk. Confetti helps since you'll deal chip damage even if he blocks.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible for me to still unlock that boss? Father Owl I mean. I'm pretty sure I'm near the end now. There's Genichiro, which I guess is the last boss, there's an extremely unforgiving red-eyed samurai in Ashina Castle, a spear samurai in the reservoir, a few Headless, a Shichimen warrior and Demon of Hatred left. I think I did pretty much everything else (that's possible). I'm guessing the final boss will take me a while so I went through everything again. Killed the snake, found the 2nd Ape (which I surprisingly killed first try) and now have 10 Gourds, 18 vitality (2 prayer beads and I guess I can get another two from the samurai) and 11 attack.

As for Father Owl, from what I understand I had to eavesdrop on Kuro early on in the game? Which is only possible during a certain moment and if you lean up against a certain wall? That's how they handle whole endings in a 50+ hour game? Some obscure nonsense that can be easily missed early in the game? And all these key-items I found are for an even more obscure ending? And I'm locked out of both already? That's ridiculously unsatisfying and I have no idea why they would handle it like that. At least I made the right choice at the Owl fight I suppose. I think I missed most of the NPC stuff too, which I guess happened to me in the DS games too. It's like they want us to go in blind (so you don't ruin the surprises) and at the same time play this with a guide (so you don't miss everything). Strange and anticlimactic design choice really. It's still a great game though.

Hopefully Genichiro isn't going to take too long. I've heard some complaints so I'm fearing the worst but I'm kind of ready to end it now.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can't remember what the cut off point is for returning to Hirata Estate for the 2nd Owl fight, but you might've gone past it because it involves eavesdropping on Emma and the Sculptor and then speaking to Emma to get the Father's Bell Charm that you use on the statue the same way you did with the one you got from the old woman to get to Hirata originally. Since you've triggered the DoH fight, I think that might be the cut off point since Sculptor is no longer at the hub.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
I see, thanks. I never got the eavesdropping prompt for that. I saw her sit plenty of times with the sculptor, but maybe I needed to lean against a wall first. Or maybe it needed to be done right in-between defeating Owl and heading to the Fountainhead Palace, but I think Emma moved back to Kuro at that point already. The sculptor disappeared right after the Divine Dragon fight. Maybe I missed something earlier that caused that entire sequence to be skipped. It's a little infuriating to say the least, I kind of would've liked to have seen everything before I moved on, but alas. I think I'll be mopping up the final Headless later today, get the final 2 prayer beads from both samurai and then start working on the final boss, which hopefully doesn't take too long. Perhaps I'll be in the mood to go for NG+ and unlock the other endings, but I doubt it. I might just Youtube the other endings (something I never do) and leave a replay for another time.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Deafeating Divine Dragon yes I think you're right that's the cut-off point. Eavesdropping on Emma and the Sculptor you have to do around the back of the hut, there's a little window and the prompt comes up. I agree it's pretty byzantine, but all the games are that way, you do kind of have to spoil yourself on the methods if you do want to do every thing on a first playthrough unfortunately. DoH and the final boss are amazing and tough, you still have some fun fights ahead!

Spoilered.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You have to listen to Kuro first to get Emma to be with the sculptor again. I agree that it’s not obvious - I’m someone who tries to explore every nook and cranny, and I’d never thought to go behind the wall behind the incense table. You need to do that to eavesdrop on him.

You may still be able to unlock the other non-default ending if you’ve gotten far enough down the path to it already. Not 100% sure of the point you have to have gotten to before now, but I think it’s kinda early in that process so there’s a chance...

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry about that. Usage was inconsistent for a while now and I guess I forgot about it. I've tagged them now.

Thanks, I might try to see if I can get the other ending still. I'll have to look up how exactly.
In the meanwhile I got 2 more prayer beads to get my VIT to 19 and gave Demon of Hatred and Genichiro a few shots.

After a dozen or so attempts Demon of Hatred seems doable as long as I manage to stay behind his legs, but one slip up and there's a big chance he kills me outright. He does stupid amounts of damage and that charge attack is just ridiculous. Also unsure how to deal with that slash that engulfs everything in his 2nd phase. I almost got to his last phase once, but most of the time I don't even get through the first.

Genichiro I somehow perfected on the first try haha. But then there is Isshin. I think I got about 2 hits in. Tried him again and I think I got about 3 hits in. Holy hell he might just be a little too much. I'm not sure I have the patience/perseverance for this. :(

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don’t blame you in that you’re hardly the only one talking about certain boss names openly, the final boss in particular for better or worse. If anything I just feel like the direct order of things is what people still wouldn’t necessarily know even if they got spoiled for names.

EDIT: also, some brief thoughts regarding those bosses, without saying much about further than you are on them; if anything, just has a small tip for the first of those two

for DoH I’ll say I personally didn’t try to stay behind as much as I just sorta uhhh stood in front and attacked his crotch? deflecting/dodging around his attacks then as needed, but it took some time to go from handling certain attacks ok out of instinct -> “well, now that I’m thinking about this too much I started eating the same attacks now” -> handling it well intentionally

that charge attack took fucking forever to train myself to deal with, yup, I kept holding O too out of habit which of course delays you actually jumping

and I also handled Gen ok-ish and then immediately got fucking destroyed to a laughable degree by Isshin the first time

which is to say: you can absolutely do it, you’ll definitely get to a point where you can even perfect that first bar of his too! frankly by the end I was making way more mistakes on Gen, to the point that I’m pretty certain a large portion of my attempts were just false starts that I let end there

he really is not as bad as people make him out to be imo, and I think even being down 1 attack and vitality should not change that horribly; if you’ve gotten to this point, you can do it

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Let me know if you need any help. I've posted some guides for him like 10-20 pages back on this thread. He's got a large variety of moves, but most of it can be countered. Its actually a really great fight.

Jotakori

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not the most helpful advice, but...
Do you plan to do everything else in the game too? If so, have you done most of it yet?

I had a lot of trouble, spending a few hours and only ever getting him somewhat into the second bar a few times. But then I left him for second to last, right before the last boss, which meant gaining I think +2 attack and the remaining one or two prayer necklaces before I came back. That helped a ton, cause I could actually do decent amounts of posture damage and get a blow that way rather than depending purely on draining health.

So I’m someone who tends to just bash up against bosses too, but in this case if you’ve still got other bosses available, it may be best to go kill some of them before returning.
Yeah, I actually do have a handful of other things I could be doing. I've been slooowwwwllly getting better at the fight, though, so I haven't quite given up yet. But push comes to shove I'll try collecting more memories and beads and come back later. My stubborn streak is very wide when it comes to games, though. 😂

Ah, one of my favorite fights in the game. It's not so bad once you learn it.

It clicked for me when I stopped being afraid and I just walked towards him, took a couple of swings until he deflected, deflected his counter and then waited to see what he would do next. If he throws the Firecrackers (he'll always follow up his combo with the shoulder charge with Firecrackers), dodge forward to your right and you'll end up behind him, and he'll be open for an Ichiminji or whatever you want to do. Works 100% of the time.

If he jumps away and throws firecrackers at mid-distance he'll almost always do a thrust, or (more rarely) a running sweep. Tapping dodge will always be the right answer because if he thrusts, you mikiri; if he sweeps, you'll dodge and end up behind him.

For the second phase, if he does the Owl teleportation, just run away to the opposite end of the arena. You'll have a few seconds to catch him on his recovery once he reappears. If he does the flame+perilous attack, jump in place over the flame and then time (don't mash) your mikiri counter.

Again, be aggressive. Take the fight to him. Walk up to him and hit him until he deflects.

It's very important to deal vitality damage to him as well, since he has the second hight posture recovery rate, only behind the Ghost Corrupted Monk. Confetti helps since you'll deal chip damage even if he blocks.
I've tried the aggressive method with him after watching some guide videos also suggesting that but I just couldn't seem to establish a good rhythm with it. x__x
So far I've been having the best results with a more patient, react to him him then strike during his openings method. I've managed to get him to phase two a few times now, so I think I'm getting closer! Just gotta perfect my reactions; that damn shuriken throw followed by the sweep has such a weird timing I mess up my dodge step half the dang time lol. Firecrackers get me a lot, too. I prefer jumping back then dashing back in for a swipe, cuz I have a hard time dodging into it, but friggin' RIP me when he does it and I accidentally back into a pillar or a wall LOL. Those damn pillars have been the cause for at least a quarter of my deaths, I stg. I'll get that sucker eventually, though!

Let me know if you need any help. I've posted some guides for him like 10-20 pages back on this thread. He's got a large variety of moves, but most of it can be countered. Its actually a really great fight.
Thanks dude, I'll check those out! I think I understand majority of his moves now, it's just a long learning process. Sekiro's biggest boss isn't the actual bosses, it's my own awful reaction time. 😂

Boddy

Oct 25, 2017
Really tried to get in the game, but I can't stand the combat system.
Figured this would happen, not a fan of parry mechanics at all. Never really used the gun in bloodborne either.
Here is pretty much the only viable option in every fight.

Also don't like just how hard enemies hit (welp there goes 80%-90% of my hp) or how many mini bosses there are.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
I don’t blame you in that you’re hardly the only one talking about certain boss names openly, the final boss in particular for better or worse. If anything I just feel like the direct order of things is what people still wouldn’t necessarily know even if they got spoiled for names.

EDIT: also, some brief thoughts regarding those bosses, without saying much about further than you are on them; if anything, just has a small tip for the first of those two

for DoH I’ll say I personally didn’t try to stay behind as much as I just sorta uhhh stood in front and attacked his crotch? deflecting/dodging around his attacks then as needed, but it took some time to go from handling certain attacks ok out of instinct -> “well, now that I’m thinking about this too much I started eating the same attacks now” -> handling it well intentionally

that charge attack took fucking forever to train myself to deal with, yup, I kept holding O too out of habit which of course delays you actually jumping

and I also handled Gen ok-ish and then immediately got fucking destroyed to a laughable degree by Isshin the first time

which is to say: you can absolutely do it, you’ll definitely get to a point where you can even perfect that first bar of his too! frankly by the end I was making way more mistakes on Gen, to the point that I’m pretty certain a large portion of my attempts were just false starts that I let end there

he really is not as bad as people make him out to be imo, and I think even being down 1 attack and vitality should not change that horribly; if you’ve gotten to this point, you can do it
Your vote of confidence motivated me to try them again, but I don't know if I can keep going at it. I gave DoH a few more attempts but I don't seem to be making much progress. I got through the first phase quite cleanly a few times, as long as I don't get unlucky and die instantly, but I can't seem to get through his 2nd phase. Even though it's mostly the same, the few extra attacks he has just do an insane amount of damage. And I haven't even seen his final phase.
As for Isshin, I actually got through his first round decently a few times, but then he just adds another layer of crazy attacks. Dude just had to bring a gun and what the hell up with the range on that spear? And of course he still has another phase after this.
So I don't know if I have the motivation for this. I love the game, but I can already tell it'll probably take quite a few more attempts/hours before I'll even get close.

Oh and I tried to do complete the steps for the other ending, but unfortunately it's not possible. Without knowing I actually completed a whole bunch of them already, but at a certain point I get "Rice for Kuro" which of course I can't give to Kuro anymore.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Your vote of confidence motivated me to try them again, but I don't know if I can keep going at it. I gave DoH a few more attempts but I don't seem to be making much progress. I got through the first phase quite cleanly a few times, as long as I don't get unlucky and die instantly, but I can't seem to get through his 2nd phase. Even though it's mostly the same, the few extra attacks he has just do an insane amount of damage. And I haven't even seen his final phase.
As for Isshin, I actually got through his first round decently a few times, but then he just adds another layer of crazy attacks. Dude just had to bring a gun and what the hell up with the range on that spear? And of course he still has another phase after this.
So I don't know if I have the motivation for this. I love the game, but I can already tell it'll probably take quite a few more attempts/hours before I'll even get close.
Mostly some more specific small tips for the first one this time.

I’m trying to think of what he actually adds in phase 2. The much bigger flame attack towards you, and the flame spirit things? I think in both cases I just ran/jumped to the side (rather, in a wide circle around him) and then used the grapple after the big flame if possible. Tool-wise I’d really recommend the fire umbrella if you aren’t already using it; let me just entirely not have to care about certain attacks, and could also save me from taking some big hits if I realized a mistake in time.

Isshin’s second phase does suck; I never really felt like I had it totally down, and just had to manage what I could while powering through (though sometimes that went very well). But I’ll just say that the third phase... it’s not worse, and you can get through it fast, in my opinion. I only ever got to it a few times but didn’t need more than that to finish it.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I noticed that big flame towards you from DoH in his 2nd phase can be jumped. I tried to dodge/outrun it at first, but that didn't seem to work. The main problem is more that just one tiny slip up can get you instantly killed. And regularly it's from silly things like the camera fucking you over. The same goes for Isshin. It's just a little too much having to go through 3/4 phases nearly perfectly. It's hard to tell how many more attempts/hours I'll need for this and my motivation is dwindling. Perhaps I should give it a rest and try again tomorrow.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
On DoH, if you will click the Threadmarks button at the bottom of the thread, there is a really good guide linked there by a poster earlier in the thread.

Jotakori

Oct 25, 2017
Yaaasssssss, I did it!!!

Father Owl is no god damn more!! Ha, take that, you feathery asshole!
My final run was pretty flawless (for me), too. I only used two or so gourd heals and I managed it without needing to resurrect! And immediately after I went to clean up some loose ends and friggin' mopped the floor with the headless ape and the snake eyes gal in the gun fort in one fell swoop. Ha ha!!

I feel so powerful at the moment! Nothing shall stop me now!! (I say, before progressing the story and inevitably coming across the next boss that kills me 30+ times before I manage it lol.)

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yaaasssssss, I did it!!!

Father Owl is no god damn more!! Ha, take that, you feathery asshole!
My final run was pretty flawless (for me), too. I only used two or so gourd heals and I managed it without needing to resurrect! And immediately after I went to clean up some loose ends and friggin' mopped the floor with the headless ape and the snake eyes gal in the gun fort in one fell swoop. Ha ha!!

I feel so powerful at the moment! Nothing shall stop me now!! (I say, before progressing the story and inevitably coming across the next boss that kills me 30+ times before I manage it lol.)
Oh, damn, you’d not even done those yet?

Congrats, gosh.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats Jotakori.

I think that''s my second favorite boss fight in the game (my favorite is the last boss, but this boss was a less stressful process for me - difficulty wise I probably rank him about 4th). I actually really liked the progression of learning that fight. Every time I tried and failed I felt like I'd learn one more thing about his moveset and then get farther along the next time. By the last run it was almost like I was running on autopilot and instinct - he's throwing all these different moves at me and I'm countering everything.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
This game gets compared to Bloodborne a lot because its From's other more action-style combat game. In terms of boss fights though they are pretty different for the most part. Sekiro bosses I think require more precision and more learning the battle - some will think this is tedious and others rewarding. Its very difficult to beat many of these bosses in 1 shot or luck into it on the first or second try unless you are extremely gifted - for most of us the tougher bosses are going to require a minimum of an hour of practice and sometimes it might take 4 hours or multiple days of trying.

In Bloodborne, sometimes you'll get stuck on a boss, but then the next boss you might just beat them on the first try by dodging like crazy, maybe getting a little lucky, or maybe been over-leveled. There's something to be said for that, because its a smoother flow and the battles are more unpredictable, and you don't need to learn something new on each boss. You don't have to learn an exact pattern all the time.

I like both, but in terms of bosses I think I prefer the mastery of a boss that Sekiro requires. Bloodborne actually does replicate that, but mainly only in its deeper and optional chalice dungeons, particularly when you are given limited health. Some of the DLC bosses are as tough as Sekiro, but even then I often never felt I mastered a battle or the bosses moveset, just that I survived and outlasted.

Oct 25, 2017
Really tried to get in the game, but I can't stand the combat system.
Figured this would happen, not a fan of parry mechanics at all. Never really used the gun in bloodborne either.
Here is pretty much the only viable option in every fight.

Also don't like just how hard enemies hit (welp there goes 80%-90% of my hp) or how many mini bosses there are.
If it helps, remember a couple of things about deflect -

1. It protects you, your posture bar will not build.
2. It creates an opening for you to attack. Sekiro is about a mix of aggression and deflect, sitting back defensively will put you at a disadvantage.
3. Deflect will increase enemies posture bar, so you are hurting them in more than one ways.

Sometimes a fight can go like this
1. Attack and deflect.
2. Stay on the enemy because their posture bar is healing until you stay on them. Or you do enough physical damage that slows their posture recovery.
3. You focus on their posture bar and not yours, because as long as you parry you are fine, even if it seems like it's yours is full.
4. When you are aggressive some enemies won't or don't get to do certain moves because you are constantly interrupting them. This ends up helping you.
5. You still have to time your attack, obviously, because (unless with the right set up) spamming attack won't work, and the game has an input system where someone once described it as a queue - if you put in a command it's hard to cancel out, so also think about when you are pressing and what command you are using.

Jotakori

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been doing okay so far through most of the end game stuff. Only two bosses left!

I'm currently tackling the Demon of Hatred and at first this guy is so overwhelming with all the jumping and swiping and flames fkn everywhere it's hard to tell wtf is even going on, but I've managed to get him halfway down the second health bar on around my 4th or 5th try (which is pretty good for me) so I don't think I'll have as hard a time with this dude as I expected. He looks scary as heck but the hardest parts so far are just managing the burn build up, timing the stomp deflects/blocks accurately, and reacting quick enough to jump out of the way of that danger rush attack. As always, think I just gotta master my reaction times and then hopefully I'll have this sucker down. (In before I finally make it to phase 3 but hit a wall and die 805430 times on it lol.)

Break time for now but whooo getting so close!

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I remember seeing that artwork before i put up the OT.

That said, y'all think we'll be getting DLC for this game? It would be not the norm if they didn't release any DLC. They have for their previous games. (._.)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I've actually been doing okay so far through most of the end game stuff. Only two bosses left!

I'm currently tackling the Demon of Hatred and at first this guy is so overwhelming with all the jumping and swiping and flames fkn everywhere it's hard to tell wtf is even going on, but I've managed to get him halfway down the second health bar on around my 4th or 5th try (which is pretty good for me) so I don't think I'll have as hard a time with this dude as I expected. He looks scary as heck but the hardest parts so far are just managing the burn build up, timing the stomp deflects/blocks accurately, and reacting quick enough to jump out of the way of that danger rush attack. As always, think I just gotta master my reaction times and then hopefully I'll have this sucker down. (In before I finally make it to phase 3 but hit a wall and die 805430 times on it lol.)

Break time for now but whooo getting so close!

One big key is to stay close. When he jumps away from you never let him get any distance between you, immediately sprint back to him - that is not usually a time to heal.

n.thou

Mar 22, 2019
Having a jolly old time rampaging through NG+ today on the quest for the Platinum and its great the game has clicked. Genichro was fine, Ape then Twin Apes - no problem, Lady Butterfly? More like Lady Butteryknives with how quickly she was gone.

Made it back to
owl at ashina castle under siege
and was pumped for the Shura ending...then Emma utterly decimates me. I managed to get to Isshina and close to the end of his first phase but had zero healing gourds and reverted back to my dodge, dance, dip, duck and dodge technique.

Time to die and die again learning the moveset but the ramp in difficulty is tangible with those final bosses...

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Having a jolly old time rampaging through NG+ today on the quest for the Platinum and its great the game has clicked. Genichro was fine, Ape then Twin Apes - no problem, Lady Butterfly? More like Lady Butteryknives with how quickly she was gone.

Made it back to
owl at ashina castle under siege
and was pumped for the Shura ending...then Emma utterly decimates me. I managed to get to Isshina and close to the end of his first phase but had zero healing gourds and reverted back to my dodge, dance, dip, duck and dodge technique.

Time to die and die again learning the moveset but the ramp in difficulty is tangible with those final bosses...

lol, yep. been there, done that. You'll get there. Emma just requires practice and learning the tells for grab/thrust/swipe. Isshin's first phase is not that bad. Second phase is really intimidating. There are a few tricks to this battle that make it a lot easier, so if you get stuck let me know - although I've probably posted tips and a video somewhere in the last 20 pages of this thread.

cLOUDo

Oct 28, 2017
So, I finished this game like a month ago but still left one trophy
Learn all the skills, it have been painfully to get.
Right now I need 7 point skills (when I enter ng+ I needed 25+)

The exp balance is awful
Normally I would drop the game, but this is the only trophy I need for the platinum

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So, I finished this game like a month ago but still left one trophy
Learn all the skills, it have been painfully to get.
Right now I need 7 point skills (when I enter ng+ I needed 25+)

The exp balance is awful
Normally I would drop the game, but this is the only trophy I need for the platinum
Yeah it’s pretty gnarly how much you have to grind to get that trophy. I’m surprised how high the platinum percentage is tbh. A lot of folks got that trophy. (It’s at 8.2%)

cLOUDo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it’s pretty gnarly how much you have to grind to get that trophy. I’m surprised how high the platinum percentage is tbh. A lot of folks got that trophy. (It’s at 8.2%)
Yeah, why they don't put a xp item like the other souls game
Geez or at least sell a item to get a skill point in 50k

Still have some bosses to beat but the XP you learn is ridiculously low

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I think the bosses should give way more XP than they give. Some might take 3 hours to learn to beat, but they give the same XP as grinding grunt enemies for about 5 minutes. To get the platinum you do have to go at least as far as Fountainhead for the lapis that you need. There is a loop in Fountainhead that is pretty good for farming and an even better one on the Ashina Castle outskirts steps. It's tedious though no matter what.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Me again. 3 weeks later and 2 extra healing gourds (4 total) and I STILL cannot beat lady butterfly. Any tips? Specifically the second phase, those off screen butterflies kill me instantly before I can even heal.

Edit: phase 1 I can get by with the sidestep then counter, but phase 2 those butterflies between attacks are chipping away at my health (unblockable?).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Me again. 3 weeks later and 2 extra healing gourds (4 total) and I STILL cannot beat lady butterfly. Any tips? Specifically the second phase, those off screen butterflies kill me instantly before I can even heal.
You might need to increase your vitality first then. She can wait

Two other possible suggestions:

1) hide behind a pillar when she uses her phantom kunai. Usually most or all of it will get absorbed by the pillar.

2) during her second phase the phantom kunai is part of her attack while she is swinging. So to be more conservative, any time you get blocked or deflected (which is 2-3 swings), she is about to use that on you, and when it happens, jump away, don't dash.

3) only attack her when there is an opening. There is one rule only: any time she is up in the air, shriuken her, track her (sometimes the camera loses her), swing and regroup

So your fight can look like this

Second phase starts. Wait behind where she will jump down. Buff (divine confetti or akos sugar), get few free swings in

If she jumps in the air, shriuken (just press it once. Sometimes there will be a delay, but she will react either falling down or jumping down), attack, regroup.

If she summons the illusions, just run around and hide behind a pillar. Don't need to kill the illusions or using snap feed. Only kill here and there if you are low on ammo. Feel free to buff defense while hiding behind the pillar.