• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, thanks for all the tips everyone! That's kind of what I figured. I got frustrated because it was towards the end of my session where I retried Demon of Hatred over 10 times and just wasnt up to learning ISS after all of that. I'll try again this evening, be more aggressive and really learn his attack patterns.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
ok so I platinumed this game yesterday and I would like share some final thoughts about it.

PROS
.- level design is top notch, I adore FROM's sense of verticality in their games. they are unmatched in this regard
.- Never has a grappling hook felt so easy and badass to use, FROM did an amazing job with pointing the green markers and letting you know whether you'll reach it or not.
.- Mostly beautiful and appealing settings, from the epic Ashina Castle to the Autumn trees at Senpou, it looks technically and artistically great. Hirata Estate with it's bamboo areas almost feels like a love letter to Sega's Arcade game of the 80's Shinobi (level 5-2 anyone?)
.- Control mapping is great, you learn inputs fast and the game explains well how things work
.- the game has the right length if you are methodical and thorough. My 2nd playthrough showed me the world itself is actually quite small but it's just right the 1st time.
.- the game is mostly fair, a tad bit more than bloodborne, if you died is because your timing for attacking and deflecting sucks.
.- Boss fights are epic and even though you die often you always feel you are learning with every try

CONS
.- fuck this game's lock-on camera right in its filthy ass. you have to stay away from walls. either the lock on will get lost or the camera will zoom in into the floor or ceiling and you won't know what's going on, so besides trying to cover yourself from these vicious bosses, you have to turn around the camera aaaaallll the way around to face the boss and press the stick again, FUN!!
.- I feel like From wanted you to be able to beat bosses on Attack 1 and no skills but that meant that like 80% (probably more like 90%) of the items and skills are useless because nothing is mandatory for anything, you will see yourself using Ako's/Confetti to boost attack and Gaiichin's to be stealthier but not much else.
.- replayability is low in this game, this is very very apparent on a new game plus. You start a new game to try to be better at beating bosses and that's pretty much it, everything else felt pointless and incredibly unrewarding. Sen purses for beating bosses? Seriously? Sen became useless on a first playthrough...

Platinuming this game isn't that bad, yes there are a couple of grinding hours at the castle at the end of the 2nd playthrough for skill points but other than that (and the multiple endings attained by save scumming) the platinum comes naturally. I definitely enjoyed Bloodborne's a lot more though.

All things said, a great experience and would recommend to anyone looking for great, challenging gameplay.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the replayability isn't really there for me. There is no build variety like Souls and even BB. No different weapons. It won't really change. Prosthetics are good but very situational, not required at all. I hardly ever used them besides the umbrella against some bosses, shuriken against dogs and the occasional firecracker. I did see some nice stuff with mist raven etc but its not worth another playthrough for me. There is no PvP or co-op either.

Its absolutely a GOTY contender but Soulsborne has so much content to come back to that their replayability is essentially endless. I feel Sekiro is lacking there.

No DLC is kind of baffling too. Who doesn't want a boss rush mode or some new boss fights?

Oct 28, 2017
How much of this game do I have left? I just beat the giant ape guarding the flower, found the corrupted monk boss in a Resident Evil-like village? I'm trying reallllly hard to finish this before the year's end.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
My only complaint with the final boss is that the tall grass makes it hard to see whether he's doing an unblockable thrust or sweep. I kinda feel they should have done a different cue for Unblockables since the symbol can cover the enemy itself and make it difficult to see what they're doing. Perhaps just a red glow outline around them with the sound.

Once I dragged him over to the mud ground near the bridge it was a lot easier going.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Let me just say I had a much easier time with Oniwa than most of the minibosses immediately before and after him. Didn't even die.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn took me two hours to beat that final boss. I even got him to one sliver of posture on the final phase, died, and then had to re-attempt the fight like 10 more times after that lol. Got the
Dragon's Homecoming
ending.

So glad I finally got around to this game. Not sure if it'll be my GOTY, but wow was that a great experience. Now I just gotta get the other endings.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit guys..

So, some backstory here. I'm a huge Dark Souls / Bloodborne fan and I decided to finally jump into Sekiro. I got it for X-mas and after one day of playing it, I absolutely hated this game. The controls were weird, the forced parry mechanic was tough... I probably died more times in one day of Sekiro than in years of Dark Souls. Mini-bosses were wrecking me, and I felt like I was banging my head against a wall. I died to Butterlfy lady too many times to count.

So, determined not to give-up, I looked online to see what I was doing wrong and saw some good tips from people here and on Reddit. I remapped my button controls so they were more comfortable for me with the parry system, I favored aggression over passivity.... and it clicked.

I went back to the Butterfly lady and what ensued what the most thrilling fight I've done in years. It was like a dance of blades, back and forth, the sound steel dictating my every button press. It took every single Shuriken and Gourd use.. both of us down to the last sliver of health... just the sound of steel clashing knowing it all came down to the next blow... and I did it, I fucking beat her, and it was amazing.

I haven't felt this way about a game in a very long time, and now that it's clicked I can't wait to finish it.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who bailed on Bloodborne after about 10 hours, and who enjoyed Dark Souls 3 quite a bit up until 35 hours when Steam decided to corrupt my cloud save (and the game doesn't have local saves :( ), I'm a few hours into Sekiro and I'm finding it hard as balls. I'm at the Hirata Estate. The common thugs are no issue, but any of the "stronger than common" enemies with health bars fuck me up. I'm having a lot of trouble getting the parry timing down.

I got the Mikiri Counter which everyone said to get first. I've landed it successfully once, lol.

Definitely in need of some early game tips. Struggle is real for me right now.

Dec 6, 2017
US
As someone who bailed on Bloodborne after about 10 hours, and who enjoyed Dark Souls 3 quite a bit up until 35 hours when Steam decided to corrupt my cloud save (and the game doesn't have local saves :( ), I'm a few hours into Sekiro and I'm finding it hard as balls. I'm at the Hirata Estate. The common thugs are no issue, but any of the "stronger than common" enemies with health bars fuck me up. I'm having a lot of trouble getting the parry timing down.

I got the Mikiri Counter which everyone said to get first. I've landed it successfully once, lol.

Definitely in need of some early game tips. Struggle is real for me right now.

So what I was doing wrong early on in regards to Mikiri was that I would hit circle right after the red danger symbol and sound would pop. In basically most cases that I'm aware of, that's too early and it'll simply register as a dodge and you get fucking nailed. If that's what's happening to you, you need to wait a split second longer. I believe the enemy and weapon have to be fully in the attack animation for it to register as Mikiri when you press circle.

Also, don't hit a direction and circle. At least from my experience, that just makes you dodge...and get hit...yet the tutorial/explanation in-game shows the left stick + circle which to me implies pressing a direction. I just let go of the stick and hit circle just a little after the danger kanji and it works way more often than not.

I usually try not to sprint around and instead stand my ground and wait for that mikiri chance when facing an enemy with a thrust attack, that helps greatly when you're squared-up.

Also remember that you can mikiri not just spears, you can also do it to those one-armed Shadow dudes who have a straight front-kick, sword thrust attacks and so on. There doesn't have to be a kanji to do it as far as I remember on some of those moves.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Totally unrelated but on my second playthrough from scratch right now after putting the game down for a long time and man, oh man, do I still fucking hate Snake Eyes.

I found a way to actually stealth her ass and then destroyed her all on my fifth try or so this time around but lord...that grab attack is so utterly obnoxious.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My wife just started a blind playthrough of Sekiro with no prior Soulsborne experience and this is what happened the first time she met the Shinobi Hunter

i kinda hate your wife....

now that im replaying the game in chrononical order there is somethings that are easier this way..

like for example on my first time, i investigated everywhere, but didnt completed areas at all.

as conscequence i had to fight the snake eyes in the poison pool, with everybody around, and it was annoying as fuck.

on this run since i defeated the guardian ape, ha had laid waste to the area, so i only had to worry about snake eyes. which made the fight relatevely easier.

i think it is a great thing about sekiro, you can explore everywhere after the genichiro fight even if the "order" is wrong.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mikiri counters I activate by essentially just dashing forward. So up + mashing O.

Totally unrelated but on my second playthrough from scratch right now after putting the game down for a long time and man, oh man, do I still fucking hate Snake Eyes.

I found a way to actually stealth her ass and then destroyed her all on my fifth try or so this time around but lord...that grab attack is so utterly obnoxious.

Snake Eyes sucks. They fight in shit areas.

The one on the mountaintop you can poison with the daggers. The other in the lake not anymore.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Mikiri counters I activate by essentially just dashing forward. So up + mashing O.

Snake Eyes sucks. They fight in shit areas.

The one on the mountaintop you can poison with the daggers. The other in the lake not anymore.

The moveset is bad enough to deal with but the areas are truly...something...the poison area is monumentally obnoxious.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So for fun I went back to the OT 1 and read some pages when the game first dropped and all I'll say is if youre looking for a good laugh go read through it again.

ok so I platinumed this game yesterday and I would like share some final thoughts about it.

PROS
.- level design is top notch, I adore FROM's sense of verticality in their games. they are unmatched in this regard
.- Never has a grappling hook felt so easy and badass to use, FROM did an amazing job with pointing the green markers and letting you know whether you'll reach it or not.
.- Mostly beautiful and appealing settings, from the epic Ashina Castle to the Autumn trees at Senpou, it looks technically and artistically great. Hirata Estate with it's bamboo areas almost feels like a love letter to Sega's Arcade game of the 80's Shinobi (level 5-2 anyone?)
.- Control mapping is great, you learn inputs fast and the game explains well how things work
.- the game has the right length if you are methodical and thorough. My 2nd playthrough showed me the world itself is actually quite small but it's just right the 1st time.
.- the game is mostly fair, a tad bit more than bloodborne, if you died is because your timing for attacking and deflecting sucks.
.- Boss fights are epic and even though you die often you always feel you are learning with every try

CONS
.- fuck this game's lock-on camera right in its filthy ass. you have to stay away from walls. either the lock on will get lost or the camera will zoom in into the floor or ceiling and you won't know what's going on, so besides trying to cover yourself from these vicious bosses, you have to turn around the camera aaaaallll the way around to face the boss and press the stick again, FUN!!
.- I feel like From wanted you to be able to beat bosses on Attack 1 and no skills but that meant that like 80% (probably more like 90%) of the items and skills are useless because nothing is mandatory for anything, you will see yourself using Ako's/Confetti to boost attack and Gaiichin's to be stealthier but not much else.
.- replayability is low in this game, this is very very apparent on a new game plus. You start a new game to try to be better at beating bosses and that's pretty much it, everything else felt pointless and incredibly unrewarding. Sen purses for beating bosses? Seriously? Sen became useless on a first playthrough...
Yeah the replayability isn't really there for me. There is no build variety like Souls and even BB. No different weapons. It won't really change. Prosthetics are good but very situational, not required at all. I hardly ever used them besides the umbrella against some bosses, shuriken against dogs and the occasional firecracker. I did see some nice stuff with mist raven etc but its not worth another playthrough for me. There is no PvP or co-op either.
I see a lot this said about the game but in my eyes I would argue this is far more replayable than the souls games. While the prosthetic tools and skills aren't going to change the gameplay up radically like different builds, I would much rather have multiple endings that unlock new bosses/enemies and areas than just replaying the same content again but slightly different.

Ehhh every boss is pretty susceptible and weak to a different prosthetic. Its a lot like mega man where no they aren't mandatory but its very clear how trivial they can make bosses if you know which ones to use on which bosses. For example shrukien against butterfly destroys her mobility and knocks her down everytime she jumps up and allows you to get 2-3 hits in. And she does this a lot, which means the fight is basically cake if you use this. Horseman get stunned by firecrackers repeatedly and makes the fight a breeze. Spear allows you to pull the centipede out of GA and do extra damage. Etc, etc. I think its an outright positive that they wanted you to beat every boss without upgrades or tools, but to say that 90% of them are useless is kind of insane given how overly powerful they are against bosses if you know their weaknesses. And thats not even getting into the regular enemies who also all have a weaknesses to one or more of them.

I'm on NG+5 right now on my 7th or so play through and I still hate this enemy so much. Probably my most hated enemy. It took me way too long to realize that her red gun attack is a grab and not a thrust or sweep attack.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I've definitely felt that this is the most replayable Soulsy game I've played. granted that other Souls games have different builds, but they don't really change the gameplay that much—to be reductive, you're basically still rolling and pressing R1 no matter which build you're using. I don't mean that as a pejorative comments on the game at all, just that the actual gameplay heterogeneity offered by different Souls builds is very commonly overstated, I think; in terms of gameplay, a Souls replay is not really that much more varied compared to a Sekiro replay. and Sekiro has, to its credit, a more fun skill curve to climb, just because there's such a high ceiling on how effectively you can rush the game down once you're literate in its lessons

I think that the fashion aspect of Souls games adds a lot of replayability, and I wish that Sekiro's combat arts/prosthetics offered a little more gameplay heterogeneity than they do, but I still feel more excited by the prospect of playing through Sekiro for the 5th time than I do playing through DkS1 for the 2nd time.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
image0.png

Just beat the final boss in my attack power 1 run. Shaking right now and was easily the toughest boss of the run. Quite messy 3rd and 4th phase but I'm very happy with the fight and the overall challenge run:

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I forgot to add one "PRO" to my previous post and that is the Mikiri Counter.

.- executing a Mikiri Counter, especially against semi and regular bosses is undeniable proof you are doing something right and you are getting good at this game. Often things happen by luck or just "trying" and hoping the enemy goes easy on you Not a Mikiri counter. It's not like you can spam the button as soon as you see the red sign and not all red-sign attacks are mikiri-counterable. you gotta learn

In terms of short but badass instants in gaming, Mikiri Counter is probably a top 10 this generation. you can't help but say "TAKE THAT MOTHERFUCKER!" whenever you nail it lol.

and this takes me to a "CON"... (sort of?)

.- FROM actually punishes you for mashing buttons. if you run around and press L1/R1 repeatedly and then immediately press "attack", the game will register it and do the movement seconds later. That will fuck you up. likewise if you are spamming "dodge" you'll end up approaching the enemy, the opposite of what you were trying to do.

basically the game wants you to stay in front of your foe and deflect, guard and attack when it's the right time, only pressing the buttons once and at the right time.

Sekiro is to a gamer what a Beethoven Sonata is for a pianist/violinist.

either take it seriously and learn or stay away from it, not for amateurs.

Ehhh every boss is pretty susceptible and weak to a different prosthetic. Its a lot like mega man where no they aren't mandatory but its very clear how trivial they can make bosses if you know which ones to use on which bosses. For example shrukien against butterfly destroys her mobility and knocks her down everytime she jumps up and allows you to get 2-3 hits in. And she does this a lot, which means the fight is basically cake if you use this. Horseman get stunned by firecrackers repeatedly and makes the fight a breeze. Spear allows you to pull the centipede out of GA and do extra damage. Etc, etc. I think its an outright positive that they wanted you to beat every boss without upgrades or tools, but to say that 90% of them are useless is kind of insane given how overly powerful they are against bosses if you know their weaknesses. And thats not even getting into the regular enemies who also all have a weaknesses to one or more of them.

ehh I see your point but I remain unconvinced.

Prosthetics, yeah they play a part in beating the bosses easier sometimes. though I will say that the finger and the fan are mostly useless, but yeah all other weapons have a purpose.

but the items? no way, they are almost all of them useless and it only gets worse because the 1 or 2 second window Sekiro needs to actually consume them will give your enemy plenty of time to beat the shit out of you. Using the gourd without getting hit wasn't easy, no way I was going to use some "take less posture damage" pointless candy and risk the whole thing.

In fact, I will bet most of us used Ako's/Confetti before any boss encounter and then forgot about items (exception: Gourd) alltogether. unless the boss gave you a break between deathblows, then you'd repeat Ako's /Confetti.

now about skills, I only ever used Ichimonji and Mortal Draw, all other attack skills were too slow or dealt miserable damage

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
and who enjoyed Dark Souls 3 quite a bit up until 35 hours when Steam decided to corrupt my cloud save (and the game doesn't have local saves :( ),
That sucks, but that's all on Steam.

Dark Souls 3 save data is local (all From games use local saving). It's always advised to keep backups since hackers can drop items that can get you banned (since their anti-cheat just does a scan of character data that gets mirrored on the server looking for anything suspicious).

So what I was doing wrong early on in regards to Mikiri was that I would hit circle right after the red danger symbol and sound would pop. In basically most cases that I'm aware of, that's too early and it'll simply register as a dodge and you get fucking nailed. If that's what's happening to you, you need to wait a split second longer. I believe the enemy and weapon have to be fully in the attack animation for it to register as Mikiri when you press circle.
Mikiri is your forward (neutral) dodge intersecting a thrust animation. If you're in the forward dodge animation (in whatever frame range counts) and you get hit by a thrust animation from the front and have the mikiri skill, it's an instant counter. It's pretty forgiving because of that (you just can't be super early or late).

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mikiri is incredibly easy if you just do a forward dodge indeed. You do need to wait until the kanji disappears but soon enough you nail it 100%. Just dodge into a thrust.

About items, I never used them. Only confetti against those purple enemies. Though I mostly used the Lilac umbrella on them. Pellets are kind of useful if your health isn't below 60% as you save a gourd.

I hardly used prosthetics though. The firecracker is good to stunlock, or to get a safe heal in. The fire umbrella blocks DoH's fire stomp. And the Spear can pull out the centipede of the Ape (and the lilac umbrella blocks the terror AoE). Poison daggers work on one of the cannon guys and Orin. For the rest I didn't see much use. Perhaps fire on red eyes but I never did that really.

I beat the true final boss with just my sword and gourds. I didn't want to risk using something else. Had his moves down to a T anyway.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
I think that the fashion aspect of Souls games adds a lot of replayability, and I wish that Sekiro's combat arts/prosthetics offered a little more gameplay heterogeneity than they do, but I still feel more excited by the prospect of playing through Sekiro for the 5th time than I do playing through DkS1 for the 2nd time.

The costume mods on PC look so cool. FromSoft should have added some unlockable costumes after you beat the game or something.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
congrats, that's amazing, :D

Thanks 😀 he was quite possibly the toughest boss for me from a challenge perspective, since you're learning three separate fights and playing charmless felt exhausting due to the length of the fights.

Thank Goodness for Kuro's divine resurrection blood Sorry I Mikiri'd on your face 😭

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I beat the last boss! Still so glad I decided to give it another shot, it's a really amazing game.
That lightning reversal certainly makes the last phase of Isshin real easy, doesn't it? It felt really good to breeze through that final phase after banging my head against his second phase for ages!

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
I beat the last boss! Still so glad I decided to give it another shot, it's a really amazing game.
That lightning reversal certainly makes the last phase of Isshin real easy, doesn't it? It felt really good to breeze through that final phase after banging my head against his second phase for ages!

Congrats. His second phase is pretty nuts. Sword saint my ass, more like glock saint

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So hold up, you're supposed to dodge and counterattack the Butterfly lady right? That's what the tutorial prompt says right at the start of the fight.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
So hold up, you're supposed to dodge and counterattack the Butterfly lady right? That's what the tutorial prompt says right at the start of the fight.

Butterfly lady is one of the few fights where you can get away with relying on dodging rather than parrying. She has several moves that leave her open to a dodge+attack combo. That's not to say parrying isn't effective though.

Oct 25, 2017
image0.png

Just beat the final boss in my attack power 1 run. Shaking right now and was easily the toughest boss of the run. Quite messy 3rd and 4th phase but I'm very happy with the fight and the overall challenge run:

Holy shit, using the mist raven to counter the lightning damn. That was fun to watch, good job.

Also general question, is there a benefit to playing charmless? Is it more just for the challenge or is there an item/trophy associated with completing the game that way?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Holy shit, using the mist raven to counter the lightning damn. That was fun to watch, good job.

Also general question, is there a benefit to playing charmless? Is it more just for the challenge or is there an item/trophy associated with completing the game that way?
There's no reward or achievement, it's solely for the challenge!

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesnt a charmless run entail the demon bell difficulty or does the bell actually add another difficulty to it? I recall that being a bit unclear at launch.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Doesnt a charmless run entail the demon bell difficulty or does the bell actually add another difficulty to it? I recall that being a bit unclear at launch.

Pretty sure they stack according to recent tests and the future press guide. I think they stop stacking or have a diminished effect in NG+7, which is what was tested near launch. I think that led to some misinformation and confusion over demon bell and charmless interaction.

Good luck in your no upgrade run, shit gets nutty later on. Couldn't do without mikiri.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Yes.
I helped a lot of people on this thread with strategy on the last boss and one thing I would tell them is that once you are through the Genichiro phase and the first ISS phase regularly, once you are in that second ISS phase and finally get a handle for parrying and mikiring him then its only a matter of time before he's done, at that point you have what it takes to beat him because the final phase is faster and easier IMO because of the lightening reversal. I think some people get nervous in the last stage and the lightening intimidates them, but that's what makes it so much easier that last phase.

BTW, if you really love the game now, suggest maybe you give NG+ a go and try the Shura ending if you have not. Really you want to play that boss sequence and the two optional bosses near the end of the game, to really appreciate all Sekiro has to offer.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Is there a point of no return that's obvious?

Well, it depends.

There are two possible final bosses. At some point you'll face owl in the same arena you fought Genichiro. If you side with him you'll fight the alternate final boss for the Shura ending. So your first save scum should happen at this point.

If you don't, then the game will continue after you beat Owl. At this point, you'll have to trigger a pretty obscure series of events to be able to return to Hirata Estate and have a rematch against owl. Those are the most obvious "missable" things I can think of.

As for the regular "final" boss, the game will make it fairly clear that it is indeed the end.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it depends.

There are two possible final bosses. At some point you'll face owl in the same arena you fought Genichiro. If you side with him you'll fight the alternate final boss for the Shura ending. So your first save scum should happen at this point.

If you don't, then the game will continue after you beat Owl. At this point, you'll have to trigger a pretty obscure series of events to be able to return to Hirata Estate and have a rematch against owl. Those are the most obvious "missable" things I can think of.

As for the regular "final" boss, the game will make it fairly clear that it is indeed the end.
Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, if you are going for platinum, you'll need 2 playthroughs (or at least 1 and 3/4ths playthroughs). If you are getting all 4 endings anyway, it might be worth it to go for platinum, because NG+ goes really fast (you slice through enemies like butter second time through and knowing how to beat bosses, etc. makes it a pretty short game) and you don't have to complete the whole thing the second time through, although you get very close to the end again.

To get the most out of Sekiro, I feel like you really also need to do 2 optional late game bosses and both ending boss sequences (Shura and regular).
The 2 optional late game bosses are father owl second time, and the demon of hatred. The first is linked to one of the endings so you will do that. The second is purely optional and is on a path off to the side on your way to the final boss, so he's missable too. He's really more of a side-story boss, but cool as it relates to a key NPC and he does help you a lot with materials if you are going for the platinum.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely adore how well written owl is. The fact he only ever makes appearances in this game when there is conflict between two sides so he can operate without being noticed is so perfectly in character for him.

plus hes arguably the most fun boss to fight in the game

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
As others have said, if you are going for platinum, you'll need 2 playthroughs (or at least 1 and 3/4ths playthroughs). If you are getting all 4 endings anyway, it might be worth it to go for platinum, because NG+ goes really fast (you slice through enemies like butter second time through and knowing how to beat bosses, etc. makes it a pretty short game) and you don't have to complete the whole thing the second time through, although you get very close to the end again.

To get the most out of Sekiro, I feel like you really also need to do 2 optional late game bosses and both ending boss sequences (Shura and regular).
The 2 optional late game bosses are father owl second time, and the demon of hatred. The first is linked to one of the endings so you will do that. The second is purely optional and is on a path off to the side on your way to the final boss, so he's missable too. He's really more of a side-story boss, but cool as it relates to a key NPC and he does help you a lot with materials if you are going for the platinum.
Any suggestions on how to choose what to do with each play through to get the platinum? And is the only reason I can't do it in one run because of that lapis lazuli that was mentioned earlier?

also, how long does the second run take since it's NG+? It feels like I should do the shura ending on the second play through as it would be quickest for a NG+ play through. Does that sound right?

Last edited:

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Any suggestions on how to choose what to do with each play through to get the platinum? And is the only reason I can't do it in one run because of that lapis lazuli that was mentioned earlier?

also, how long does the second run take since it's NG+? It feels like I should do the shura ending on the second play through as it would be quickest for a NG+ play through. Does that sound right?

there is a trophy for beating all bosses and the game must register all of them in a single file that's why most people go for a 1st playthrough where they get all the bosses (minus 2 from the Shura path), save before the very last final moment to get the 3 good endings and then on the 2nd playthrough they save before the decision that pushes you towards the Shura ending, beat said bosses on that path and then after the trophies unlocked, restore the save before the decision and continue towards the good endings to gather Lapis Lazulli and most likely grind a long time for skills points.

that's the fastest path towards the platinum.

2nd playthrough is shorter as long as you run past everything and play with a "straight to final boss" mentality, don't waste time being stealthy or anything. just run past everything and avoid optional fights,

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
there is a trophy for beating all bosses and the game must register all of them in a single file that's why most people go for a 1st playthrough where they get all the bosses (minus 2 from the Shura path), save before the very last final moment to get the 3 good endings and then on the 2nd playthrough they save before the decision that pushes you towards the Shura ending, beat said bosses on that path and then after the trophies unlocked, restore the save before the decision and continue towards the good endings to gather Lapis Lazulli and most likely grind a long time for skills points.

that's the fastest path towards the platinum.

2nd playthrough is shorter as long as you run past everything and play with a "straight to final boss" mentality, don't waste time being stealthy or anything. just run past everything and avoid optional fights,
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Thank you.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Lol decide to do the bad ending (struggled with those bosses for a bit).Reload my save after winning and continue on with that boss and beat it on first try.