• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game. Uhhh, I usually really like From endings, even though most people seem to hate them, but this one was kind of shitty, lmao.

Great final boss, though, possibly the best From has made, but the bar wasn't that high, to be fair. Their best bosses are never the final ones.

The optional endgame boss was also amazing. Now I want to know what I missed, but without too many spoilers. Finished with 19 VIT and 2/4 beads for the next level, not sure what I missed here.

I got the Dragon's Homecoming ending, if that helps. 61 hours. :D

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the final boss. I haven't even been able to get him past his first deathblow marker. Holy fuck.

Also, I wish I didn't have to do that first fight every time. I have it down to a science and it's just annoying now.
This was me several hours ago.... the worst is that even if you have that first part down pat, it's so easy to mess up just one thing and ruin it. So i had a million attempts just dying here long after I "mastered" the section. First and second phase are exciting to master the timings and counters. But I got realll sick of it

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Just beat the game. Uhhh, I usually really like From endings, even though most people seem to hate them, but this one was kind of shitty, lmao.

Great final boss, though, possibly the best From has made, but the bar wasn't that high, to be fair. Their best bosses are never the final ones.

The optional endgame boss was also amazing. Now I want to know what I missed, but without too many spoilers. Finished with 19 VIT and 2/4 beads for the next level, not sure what I missed here.

If you didn't do the Purification quest, that accounts for the 2 beads you missed.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was me several hours ago.... the worst is that even if you have that first part down pat, it's so easy to mess up just one thing and ruin it. So i had a million attempts just dying here long after I "mastered" the section. First and second phase are exciting to master the timings and counters. But I got realll sick of it
I heard there's a way to cheese the fight?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
about these two Snake Eyes minibosses:

man, the one in Depths is much easier as you can take her first health bar with stealth stab, then in the middle of the combat you can puppet one of the adds so he attacks her, and then finish her with the pool from the poison. judging on the messages here, i though she will be tougher than her sister from Sunken Valley

you can stealth the other one too...go from the gunfort checkpoint backwards. axe is good too for this miniboss

Not really. Basically you just sprint around and bait the jump attack. It takes forever and it's still, one screw up and it's over. Seemed easier to me just to learn the counters.

yup, cheese is lame and takes so much time, it is ridiculous. after i´ve beaten the boss i looked up a video showing the cheese and literally laughed my ass off. not only is this a way to destroy an epic showdown, it takes so long it isn´t even funny.

did you do the two endgame minibosses? one is when you go from the dojo idol right, down the stairs and through the paper wall, the other is at Ashina Reservoir. both drop a bead. both minibosses can only be accessed when the village is burning. you also have one more bossfight in the Shura ending waiting for you.

Last edited:

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess last boss aint happening for me today 😐 I'm getting through first two phases fine but then it feels like a toss of a coin. Really tempted to turn the demon bell off, but I also don't want to give up in the last boss and admit that I'm a giant pussy that can't git gud. Fuck my life.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

We're in exactly the same boat. Same stats and same ending too. I believe we missed quite a lot and that the remaining beads are locked out for us.

I was also underwhelmed by the ending we got. Makes me think that the other ones must have been pretty sad or fucked up if we got the "best" one.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you can stealth the other one too...go from the gunfort checkpoint backwards. axe is good too for this miniboss

yup, cheese is lame and takes so much time, it is ridiculous. after i beat the boss i looked up a video showing the cheese and literally laughed my ass off. not only is this a way to destroy an epic showdown, it takes so long it isn´t even funny.

I didn't realize the grab move is actually counted as a sweep. Fight was pretty simple after that. Just jump it.

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit! Great find, nice to see there's still stuff to figure out.
Yea i hope theres other situations like this, maybe on CM?
Finally beat the game!

Thank you GwyndolinCinder for that video you showed me on like page 5 lol
Actually learned the timing thing and used that to wreck the last phase of the boss as well as he only did one lightening attack when I beat him.
Congrats, sorry I forgot to reply yesterday c:

Hoping the final boss for the 'bad' ending is a little easier, because FUCK
Final boss on the good ending paths took me 3 tries, I just did final boss for bad ending took me like 10. Probably has the best attack in a from game?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Basically you just sprint around and bait the jump attack. It takes forever and it's still, one screw up and it's over. Seemed easier to me just to learn the counters.
The biggest help for me was

Looking for the 2-hit combo where he opens up with an open-palm attack and follows up with a Thrust that can easily be Mikiri Countered

Oct 25, 2017
We're in exactly the same boat. Same stats and same ending too. I believe we missed quite a lot and that the remaining beads are locked out for us.

I was also underwhelmed by the ending we got. Makes me think that the other ones must have been pretty sad or fucked up if we got the "best" one.

It's just... basic. From endings usually bring new questions to speculate, answers to questions we had, it opens up discussion. This is just... "the end".

Kind of boring.

I think Miyazaki not writing himself ended up hurting the game, which I didn't expect. I was sure we wouldn't feel the difference, since we don't usually play the games in japanese, but it's even not the writing style, but the characters. The main cast is pretty good, but the supporting characters are TRASH. Except for the pot dudes and maybe Jinzaemon? Kotaro is cool, but too minor to make up for the lack of your typical Souls npcs.

Compare Stockpile Thomas, Laurentius or your typical "support NPC that stays in the HUB" to the Info Broker in this game. He's so... lifeless. Useless. The world ending outside and he's still repeating his crap about Ashina Castle.

did you do the two endgame minibosses? one is when you go from the dojo idol right, down the stairs and through the paper wall, the other is at Ashina Reservoir. both drop a bead. you also have one more bossfight in the Shura ending waiting for you. both can only be accessed when the village is burning.
Yep, did them! Great fights!

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I heard there's a way to cheese the fight?

Yeah,run around from distance to bait jump attack,then have 1 or 2 hits at him. That's how I beat him,even if you scew up,you don't get oneshot just heal and repeat. Makes it boring and long,but I hit a brick wall with Owl,so no shame for cheesing him

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The biggest help for me was

Looking for the 2-hit combo where he opens up with an open-palm attack and follows up with a Thrust that can easily be Mikiri Countered

Yep. That and the
gunshots followed by sweep attack for an easy jump kick counter were my bread and butter. His thrust is really telegraphed too. He literally sits in the thrust stance for like a full two seconds before it happens. I loved this fight I just wish Genichiro was one and done. Really didn't add much. Just make me beat him once, game!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
the purple bastard
in hirata estate is fun to fight

but LSL is horrible because of the cramped space fucking up your camera and ability to dodge
Don't worry, it's not the worst.
You fight at least two more that I remember, but one of them in particular is in an area that's about as cramped, although you can run out of that area to fight. This in turn puts you in an area where you constantly loose lock on and the camera constantly spazes out on the vertical plane. Ninja bosses are the worst in this game because it's the same camera since Demon's Souls, and the game is much faster.
This is primarily why bosses like Flamelurker and Maneater sucked so much. The camera vs their speed.

Got the

Owl

Down, but I can't fucking believe that they put the

true corrupted monk

So soon after. I can take on his first 2 phases relatively easily but fuck me the third one is doing me in. Gonna sleep on this one.

That fight is actually not too much harder than the original. You can literally skip the first two phases
with deathblows. Also, for the dumb helicopter attack...dash into it. This is also one of the few fights where Mist Raven really helped me.

I didn't realize the grab move is actually counted as a sweep. Fight was pretty simple after that. Just jump it.

The majority of grabs in the game can be head stomped. Not all of course, like a few specifically annoying and large types, but most.

Last edited:

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
The real enemy in the lone shadow swordsman fight is the camera
and my stupidity for not realising you can drop down on him sooner

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got it. Did the final round without taking damage as well.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Late/end game boss
took two hours but I beat isshin.

edit:
wait that was the final boss?

wtf @ the ending?

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
anyone help me with a boss? i'll spoiler it because i think it's near to what i hope is the end of this hell

i'm stuck on genichiro, i can more or less make it to the 2nd phase every now and again (maybe 1/8 attempts) but the problem i'm mainly having revolves around boh health and having enough spirit emblems to use in this phase, i did have fistful of ash but i more or less used it all and the only real suggestion i can find online is to use shadowrush which is 16 skillpoints away from me getting it

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I BEAT THE FINAL..TRUE BOSS...I AM SHAKING...

giphy.webp

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Emma in the shura ending says she already saw a shura, she's speaking of the sculptor right. I wonder if it will be explore in the DLC, maybe saving him ?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
wait a minute what in the fuck

Ashina Castle Story Boss spoilers ahead

Uh... I better not look a gift horse in the mouth, but was Genichiro supposed to be on the easier side? He takes a stupid amount of posture damage just by deflecting blows on his first form and you can even counter his thrusts. On the second form, I never got the chance to do the lightning reversal thing and his sword swings are still pretty deflectable. Hell, his fucking bow and arrow shots did more damage than his magical sword.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Guys how do you get back to the outskirts or other parts of the castle when it's burning?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
how do you fight these sichimen warriors...? they feel impossible..

Divine Confetti and Terror Resistance buff (Pacifying Agent or Purple Gourd). Anti Air Deathblow works great on them and the maxed out finger prosthetic stuns them for a while. You can perfect parry their laser beams without taking dmg.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
anyone help me with a boss? i'll spoiler it because i think it's near to what i hope is the end of this hell

i'm stuck on genichiro, i can more or less make it to the 2nd phase every now and again (maybe 1/8 attempts) but the problem i'm mainly having revolves around boh health and having enough spirit emblems to use in this phase, i did have fistful of ash but i more or less used it all and the only real suggestion i can find online is to use shadowrush which is 16 skillpoints away from me getting it
You're about 1/3rd of the way lol

I'd just worry about finding the rhythm of attacking/parrying more so than using ashe or tools. Once you get down his moveset you can just bully him

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's more boring than cheesy I guess. What helped me with that fight was to not be intimidated by the second weapon he pulls. Just deflect it and occasionally dodge like anything else. Make sure to counter all perilous moves. It looks scarier than it is.
I'll get to the boss tomorrow I think. How much harder than
Owl
is he?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Going from the final boss of NG to the opening Genichiro fight of NG+ is hilarious.

It's like... "that's all you got?".

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
My boss good luck streak continues. I just beat
Lady Butterfy
on my first try! After all the people posting horror stories here I expected the worst. I just barely got her down. Love this game!

benj

Oct 27, 2017

people might disagree, but having skills or items isn't gonna make a huge difference in this fight while you're learning it, imo. stuff like fistful of ash or firecrackers lets you get a few free hits in, but you still have to learn his moves and find places to put damage for minutes on end—i think it's, in the long run, gonna be much more effective to just focus on fundamentals. trying to find places in the rotation for items or combat skills requires dividing your attention, and i think it'd ultimately just make the fight harder for most people. if you can hit him 15 times with fundamentals and 5 with items, you can probably hit him 20 times with fundamentals, if that makes sense

focus on learning the deflect patterns, focus on learning where in his rotations you can put damage. if you try to put damage someplace you can't and get punished, remember that, and never try to do damage there again unless you have a really good reason for thinking things would work out differently. try really hard to find the deflect timing for his attacks, but also find the attacks that can be more easily responded to (or counterattacked) with a dodge. learn to keep aggression up—hit his block, don't let him regain posture, hit health when you can, don't let him back out. his up-close patterns are much more consistent and safe than the stuff he does at range.

there's no silver bullet or gimmick to this fight, it just requires really getting comfortable with the combat and learning to be aggressive. it takes practice!